• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Series Sells Over 7 Million Copies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought I would put this in a new thread since it's sales-age news and people who don't like spoilers might want to talk about it.

Anyway, the newest issue of PS3M has confirmed that the Mass Effect series has now sold over 7 million copies. Unfortunately I can't link to the source since it's a scan.

Sethos

Banned
So that's Mass Effect 1 & 2 across 3 different platforms? ( ME1 PS3 excluded ofc. ) - Then I'm not sure it's super impressive, fair number I'd say.

FLEABttn

Banned
Sethos said:
So that's Mass Effect 1 & 2 across 3 different platforms? ( ME1 PS3 excluded ) - Then I'm not sure it's super impressive, fair number I'd say.

Average of 3.5 million per game? That's not a bad number, by any means.

Sethos

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Average of 3.5 million per game? That's not a bad number, by any means.

Yeah, your probably right - I'm just seeing a bigger spread in my head across all the platforms and two games, it just appears low but I'm probably not completely in tune with sales numbers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
I assume there was no word on the split between ME and ME2?
Nope, but between BioWare and Turbine, we know Mass Effect 1 is over 3.2 million copies, but seemingly not over 4.

All in all, the entries seem to have sold quite evenly.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, that's great. It seems like 3.5 million copies for each game. OK numbers.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Congrats, Bioware.

It's probably topped Metal Gear Solid as my favorite series in gaming, I can't get enough of Mass Effect. Both games are amazing but I've probably played the first at least 10 times.

Great sales overall for the series. Looking forward to getting ME3 later this year.

One day, if I ever find the time (and get a new computer), I'll probably re-purchase all the games again off Steam.

kswiston

Nirolak said:
Nope, but between BioWare and Turbine, we know Mass Effect 1 is over 3.2 million copies, but seemingly not over 4.

All in all, the entries seem to have sold quite evenly.

I would imagine that Mass Effect sold more copies at full or near full retail price though. Mass Effect 2 price dropped extremely quickly.

EDIT: Gamers Gate offered Mass Effect 2 for $6 not too long ago. Steam has had at least one $10 sale. As have D2D and EA's Store.

over 2 games and 3 platforms....sold almost as much as Gran Turismo 5.

but if people say GT5 was a sales flop, then whats a mass effect series?

Kyoufu

Cool, too bad they spend less than 24 months on sequels. I would wait an extra 6-12 months if it meant richer features/polish.

kswiston said:
I would imagine that Mass Effect sold more copies at full or near full retail price though. Mass Effect 2 price dropped extremely quickly.

Huh? I thought that ME went Platinum Hits on the 360 fairly quickly too. And the only version of ME2 that's selling at retail is the PS3 version while the 360 & Steam versions are selling at a reduced price.

lucius

Great numbers considering it had ads but nothing like the 1st Gears of War marketing or the Uncharted 2 marketing or Black Ops massive campaign.

Patryn

Interesting that they sold equal, considering that ME2 is available on an additional platform.

Then again, ME1 has had a lot more time to sell.

lucius said:
Great numbers considering it had ads but nothing like the 1st Gears of War marketing or the Uncharted 2 marketing or Black Ops massive campaign.

ME2 had an extensive campaign. Much larger than ME1's. Don't you remember all those commercials with various ME2 squad members sitting on a stool ranting at a camera?

kswiston

Auron_Kale said:
Huh? I thought that ME went Platinum Hits on the 360 fairly quickly too. And the only version of ME2 that's selling at retail is the PS3 version while the 360 & Steam versions are selling at a reduced price.

Platinum hits version came out in Feb 2009 for Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect 2 was $20-30 everywhere after maybe 6 months. Not counting the recently released PS3 port of course.

Apenheul

The Mass Effect series seems to me the Metroid Prime series of the current generation, it (and the Wii) is what I'll remember this console generation for.

kswiston

gamebroker said:

Gran Turismo 5 is the newest installment in a series that has done 10-15M in worldwide sales for each of the first 4 games. 7M for GT5 would be a huge disappointment. Especially in light of higher dev costs.

Mass Effect is a new IP. Furthermore the best selling games in its genre are capped at about 5 million (Fallout 3, Gears of War if you consider it more of a shooter).

A lot of those ME2 sales were probably low priced. If I recall it didn't really light up the charts after the first month and there was a stretch of time that 1 had sold better overall.

Hard for me to say it's deserved as 2 was such a disappointment but here's hoping they learn their lesson with 3 and make a better rpg and it will sell 10 million! Though I'm not liking what I've seen so far.

gamebroker said:

Mass Effect games are most likely a hundred times cheaper to make :D

Mastperf

gamebroker said:

An IP that's 1 generation old compared to one that has spanned 3 generations?
^^^ Also much cheaper without the eternity in development that GT5 spent.

Ark

Do you reckon you could fit 7 million copies of ME1 & ME2 in all the corridors? :p

Seriously though, great news to hear, Mass Effect 2 was a great game and I can't wait to play the third installment.

kswiston said:
Platinum hits version came out in Feb 2009 for Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect 2 was $20-30 everywhere after maybe 6 months. Not counting the recently released PS3 port of course.

Weird, because I bought the Platinum Hits version of ME in January 2009 - when I got my 360 - so I thought it's price drop was just as fast as the drop for ME2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ickman3400 said:
A lot of those ME2 sales were probably low priced. If I recall it didn't really light up the charts after the first month and there was a stretch of time that 1 had sold better overall.

Hard for me to say it's deserved as 2 was such a disappointment but here's hoping they learn their lesson with 3 and make a better rpg and it will sell 10 million! Though I'm not liking what I've seen so far.
Most of BioWare's games all sell at really low prices.

This is why they keep doing ridiculous pre-order bonuses, to try and get people to buy them at a higher price point.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The first deserved a hefty portion of that 7 million. Still, strangely much, much less than Assassin's Creed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well, Final fantasy has sold over 97 million copies... which proves that Japanese RPGs are factually better.

Lothars

Confidence Man said:
Shame Mass Effect 2 sold well.

Nope a great game like Mass Effect 2 deserves to have sold that well, I wish both games would have sold more though but it's a fantastic series.

element

I want to know the breakdown on platform sales. I am curious how poorly the PS3 version of ME2 has been.

BocoDragon said:
Well, Final fantasy has sold over 97 million copies... which proves that Japanese RPGs are factually better.
Now you've done it!

But good for Bioware I guess. I guess it's nice that a new ip took off. The series is kind of uneven for me. Lots of ups on downs. ME1 is really disappointing and almost pretty bad, the PC version almost saves it, but still the game has some redeemable aspects. ME2 is a much better game, but not exactly the sequel that I wanted. Who knows how ME2 will turn out.

Grisby said:
No other game franchise has the atmosphere that the Mass Effect series has. Great news and I cannot wait for 3 after the amazing job Bioware did on 2.
Yeah, I really wouldn't agree with that. Especially with how the environments are in ME1.

Grisby

shvLQ.gif

No other game franchise has the atmosphere that the Mass Effect series has. Great news and I cannot wait for 3 after the amazing job Bioware did on 2.

Top Bottom