• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio. 7+ dead

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017

"EMS personnel has confirmed to me that CPR is in progress for at least 3 shooting victims with multiple other people shot in Dayton shooting.

WHIO-TV reported as many as seven people were dead.

He said the shooter was a man armed with a rifle, an AR-15, wearing earmuffs and a vest. The gunman "just started blowing bullets everywhere".

• Triggered
Reactions: Barnabot

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
9 dead + the shooter. The shooter was taken out by the police.

16 people injured.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
shame the shooter died, all that information is lost

will be interesting to see how this links to the other shooting, if at all

rip to the victims, brutal

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
What the hell? So close to the other mass shooting, what is wrong with this world.

Praying for the victims and their families.

May 22, 2018
RIP to the victims and condolences to the families.

Not sure how high the body count needs to get in America for something to be done, but at this point I don't even know what to say anymore. Mass shootings happen so often now that we as a country are no longer surprised. It's just "another one?" At this point and that is terrifying to me. To grow so complacent over something so horrible is just incomprehensible to me, but here we are. Again. "Greatest Country on Earth" indeed.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
RIP to the victims and condolences to the families.

Not sure how high the body count needs to get in America for something to be done, but at this point I don't even know what to say anymore. Mass shootings happen so often now that we as a country are no longer surprised. It's just "another one?" At this point and that is terrifying to me. To grow so complacent over something so horrible is just incomprehensible to me, but here we are. Again. "Greatest Country on Earth" indeed.
Confirmation bias.

The uk has over 2 acid attacks a day. It's quite rare in the US,

We also have a population of 330 million vs UK's 60-65 million.

London's murder rate surpasses NYC's at times. In addition to the acid epidemic, they also struggle with knife crime.

Mass murders like these are horrific, and traumatic, and burn themselves into our collective memory. But it's not like other countries don't have horrific events occurring as well.

Edammer

Jul 22, 2016
Netherlands
Confirmation bias.

London's murder rate surpasses NYC's at times. In addition to the acid epidemic, they also struggle with knife crime.

Mass murders like these are horrific, and traumatic, and burn themselves into our collective memory. But it's not like other countries don't have horrific events occurring as well.
Doesnt change the fact that mass-shootings are more a thing that happens in the USA then in UK.
School shootings, mall shootings, lone wolfs and shit like that are events much more comon in the USA. Of course you have much more people but with the great level of poverty, mental illness, umeployment, racism, Trump and the ridiculous gun law I think its pretty clear America has a huge problem and allowing guns for citizens is one of them.

Btw. Why are we even comparing this with other countries?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
Doesnt change the fact that mass-shootings are more a thing that happens in the USA then in UK.
School shootings, mall shootings, lone wolfs and shit like that are events much more comon in the USA. Of course you have much more people but with the great level of poverty, mental illness, umeployment, racism, Trump and the ridiculous gun law I think its pretty clear America has a huge problem and allowing guns for citizens is one of them.

Btw. Why are we even comparing this with other countries?
i dunno, other people are the ones who insist on telling us how bad our gun laws are

:messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Confirmation bias.

Normally I would explain why you are wrong and do the usual back and forth with you, but I just don't have it in me right now. Two mass shootings in less than 36 hours just has me not giving a shit about the usual excuses and false equivalencies that you people have to give.

RIP to the victims is all i can say and Congress finally growing a pair and doing something to stop the killing is all I can hope for.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
Okay, what do you think about your gun laws?
gun laws seem fine

gun violence keeps falling, it's creeping up slightly for not so obvious reasons that probably merge with mass killings ramping up since columbine

that's a whole separate issue tho, a much deeper, transcendental value kinda cultural tissue thing that's not immediately solvable

some things cannot be fixed, how do you stop all the serial killers?

Last edited:

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
Classic. America has had multiple mass shootings this past week alone. This will be the 250th of this year. That’s >1 mass shooting per day.

RIP to the victims, your government continues to fail you.

Edammer

Jul 22, 2016
Netherlands
gun laws seem fine

gun violence keeps falling, it's creeping up slightly for not so obvious reasons that probably merge with mass killings ramping up since columbine

that's a whole separate issue tho, a much deeper, transcendental value kinda cultural tissue thing that's not immediately solvable

some things cannot be fixed, how do you stop all the serial killers?
I think America got bigger problems then its gunlaws. Mental illness seems to be a much bigger problem. So is poverty, unemployment, politically divided, racism and a corrupt legal system. People are seems to get more and more depressed and they cant pay for threathment.
But when you add the right to buy, own and in some states even open carry guns to that mix its gonna be a pretty dangerous cocktail.

Nothing’s gonna stop maniacs from being maniacs obv. But helping them to get their kills done isn’t solving the problem either. Coz thats what it is in my eyes..

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

both this guy and the garlic shooter were taken down in less than a minute - evidence that more guns does not solve this problem.

Last edited:

Typical

Jun 19, 2017
Please build that wall, make it so big it surrounds the entire US so we can keep them there. Then let the NRA arm every single man, woman and child whilst Americans repeat like NPCs “guns aren’t the problem” and let Darwinism take course.

• Triggered
Reactions: josherjohn

Wwg1wga

Dec 3, 2018
Confirmation bias.

Plus, London is one of the most monitored cities in the world with approximately 51,000 cameras, in comparison, the number of surveillance cameras in the city of NY is "only" about 6,000.

JordanN

Gold Member
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
The problem isn't guns. The problem is the deterioration of society
I posted this in the Resetera thread, but you can see that American culture has radically changed over the past 50 years.

The above images are considered "scary" to SJW's. Instead, American culture is being forced to idolize material worship, lack of nuclear families, and being slaves to the dollar.

No wonder we're seeing so many mentally ill people lately.

Guns are not the problem. Guns were NEVER the problem. America got its freedom because of guns back in 1776. Why the fuck would you disarm yourself thinking you will feel more safe, when your ancestors literally had to earn their freedom with them?

Start fixing the families, start taking responsibility. Then you wont hear about shootings.

Last edited:

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
There is certainly a strong appetite for stronger gun control measures in this country - a compromise that can stem some of these killings (it would take very dramatic and unpopular measures to stop most of them). People deflecting this on to the culture, or mental illness, are ignoring that guns enable this massive damage at this current pace. Certainly, you can attempt to change the culture - and should! But that level of cultural shift cannot exist without a serious reexamination of how we allow people to empower themselves with ubiquitous killing machines.

• LOL
Reactions: Jonirenicus

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
200 dead in Chicago: Eh move on
12 dead other place :"WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW AND TAKE AWAY ALL GUNS AND BAN THEM IMMEDIATEY."

Same pattern every shooting. I don't even understand the end game, the top most violent regions in the country are all gun free and a bunch of the guns are coming from guys entering from the southern border so this belief that banning guns will fix anything is bad since criminals will be uh, criminals and still get guns illegally anyway.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
There is certainly a strong appetite for stronger gun control measures in this country - a compromise that can stem some of these killings (it would take very dramatic and unpopular measures to stop most of them).
It is a fact that many the strongest gun control areas of our country are still home to the highest incidence of gun violence.

Explain how more of these ineffectual controls will lower gun violence if they have utterly failed to do so up to this point.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
It is a fact that many the strongest gun control areas of our country are still home to the highest incidence of gun violence.

Explain how more of these ineffectual controls will lower gun violence if they have utterly failed to do so up to this point.
If you are referring to highly impoverished areas in densely populated urban areas, that's an all together much tougher prospect that the majority of America doesn't have to deal with.

And even that issue - inner city gang violence - is fueled by ease of access to weapons due to how ubiquitous they are.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
If you are referring to highly impoverished areas in densely populated urban areas, that's an all together much tougher prospect that the majority of America doesn't have to deal with.

And even that issue - inner city gang violence - is fueled by ease of access to weapons due to how ubiquitous they are.
Didn't you just say the following:

People deflecting this on to the culture, or mental illness, are ignoring that guns enable this massive damage at this current pace. Certainly, you can attempt to change the culture - and should!
Why are you trying to deflect this on to the culture? I am pointing out the simple fact that places like New York, Chicago, Baltimore, etc have very restrictive gun laws yet still have extremely high rates of gun violence. If the laws worked, then they'd work. You can't handwave that and say "bu bu but lots of impoverished areas" especially when rural areas also suffer from widespread poverty.

California -- the state with the highest amount of gun murders in the USA -- has some of the most stringent gun restrictions in the country.

So, I am questioning why we would expect to resolve the problem using more of these ineffective gun control measures. I wasn't the one suggesting more gun control. The people who think that's a solution need to rectify the facts that I pointed out above.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Sakura Doritos

Somnium

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2016
art-of-vlad.com
200 dead in Chicago: Eh move on
12 dead other place :"WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW AND TAKE AWAY ALL GUNS AND BAN THEM IMMEDIATEY."

Same pattern every shooting. I don't even understand the end game, the top most violent regions in the country are all gun free and a bunch of the guns are coming from guys entering from the southern border so this belief that banning guns will fix anything is bad since criminals will be uh, criminals and still get guns illegally anyway.
It's not a contest, but I understand your point. Both are cases of horrible, senseless violence and suffering. The mainstream media is a prime culprit in the framing of perception.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
I'm not handwaving away anything. I spoke to the largest driving forcing of gun violence historically: density, poverty, and ease of access to weapons. All of those are objective measures, which is the focus of the point I'm making. The latter of which is very difficult for the law to directly address, because the ubiquity of weapons manufactured and trafficked are 2A protected.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
It's not a contest, but I understand your point. Both are cases of horrible, senseless violence and suffering. The mainstream media is a prime culprit in the framing of perception.
How did you get "contest" from my post? It's not even about the Media, white people who lived in cities that knew of inner city violence like 5 miles away did nothing until someone got to the subs outside and killed someone, THEN they marched, has nothing to do with the media. Blue districts don't give to shits about Black deaths, almost every major "stop the violence movement" is almost exclusively all black outside Red districts where you'll see a sizable group of whites also marching and participating in the BBQ's etc. That rarely happens in blue districts.

pimentel1

Midas Member
Jul 22, 2018
If the right can accuse Angela Merkel of having blood on her hands for inaction, then we sure as hell can say Trump has blood on his hands from inaction.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Normally I would explain why you are wrong and do the usual back and forth with you, but I just don't have it in me right now. Two mass shootings in less than 36 hours just has me not giving a shit about the usual excuses and false equivalencies that you people have to give.

RIP to the victims is all i can say and Congress finally growing a pair and doing something to stop the killing is all I can hope for.
Congress cant do anything about it.

nani17

May 3, 2018
I see some here I've been though the normal stages I'll just leave a link here

Day two of mass shootings. Americans all over social media talking about Brazil and England attacks basically stage 6.

You have a gun problem wake the fuck up. Stop being
in denial yes it's not nice when people talk about your country but most isn't hate were just trying to tell you you have a problem try and resolve it for the people that are dying.

Again I have no issues with the second amendment

Reactions: John_Ryder

Somnium

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2016
art-of-vlad.com
How did you get "contest" from my post? It's not even about the Media, white people who lived in cities that knew of inner city violence like 5 miles away did nothing until someone got to the subs outside and killed someone, THEN they marched, has nothing to do with the media. Blue districts don't give to shits about Black deaths, almost every major "stop the violence movement" is almost exclusively all black outside Red districts where you'll see a sizable group of whites also marching and participating in the BBQ's etc. That rarely happens in blue districts.
I wasn't trying to offend you and implying anything, my guy. I'm speaking from place of principle. Both are severe cases and I'm sure you'd agree. All of these cases should be condemned. It's not matter of choosing to prioritize the deaths and suffering of one over the other. Some people just don't give a fuck; and many do regardless of their ethnicities, as you've pointed out, as we see right here on this forum. I honestly don't understand how you can hand wave away the influence of mainstream media and the way the media companies often shape perception of many people in society. There are so many uninformed people that have their world views and opinions shaped based on how and what these media companies choose to focus on. There needs to be much less partisan reporting in MSM, more objective journalism.

Last edited:

spandexmonkey

Dec 17, 2009
Memphis, TN
The mass shooter really became a thing after Columbine was glorified by the media. Nearly all shooters make reference to it, but I think Christchurch will be the next totem they cling to. In an ideal world even if you took the guns away they'd find other means, like Timothy McVeigh or Islamic terror (bombs, vans, planes, etc). These kind of animals aren't new, we've just been giving them a single script that's effective and easy to use.

The solution will probably take a deeper understanding of how and why it happens:
Domestic terrorism is often linked to "lone wolf" terrorism. Sociologist Ramón Spaaij defines lone wolf terrorism as an act of terrorism committed by one person who "acts on his or her own without orders from—or even connections to an organization".[16] From the late 20th to the early 21st centuries, lone wolf terrorism in the United States has primarily been associated with white supremacy, Islamic fundamentalism, anti-social, and anti-government extremists such as Charles Whitman, Tim McVeigh, Dylann Roof, Robert Bowers, Wade Michael Page, Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolph, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, James Holmes, Stephen Paddock, Omar Mateen, and Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Many lone wolves share a common trait in that they seek acceptance from other groups but are typically met with rejection.[17]
In their 2007 book Hunting the American Terrorist former FBI Deputy Assistant Director Terry Turchie and former FBI special agent Kathleen Puckett described six criteria to define a lone wolf:[18]
  1. The act of terrorism was organized by few or only one person that was not operating with an organized group
  2. The individual is willing to use lethal violence to achieve their goal
  3. Their primary goal is ideological, political, or religious in scope
  4. The individual is willing to accept full-scale collateral damage
  5. The individual is not intending to commit suicide, unless the situation calls for it
  6. The individual is intending to commit homicide in order to get their message public, or to use such acts as the message

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
You can say the USA has a gun problem. My issue with that is connecting that with Legal Gun Owners or the 2nd Amendment in general.

About 40,000 deaths via firearm in 2017.

60% of that were suicide

37% was homicide. Thats just under 15,000

And the estimation of those 15,000 homicides done by Legal Gun owners... 1,650 (if you assume 11%)

1,650 with a population of 325 Million.

1,650 isn't a large number. That's not to be rude to those who have lost family and friends.

But there were 10,000 people killed in 2017 because of Drunk Drivers. Of course no one is saying we have a massive alcohol problem in the USA. Just looked up how many people die each year because of the flu... 36,000 people on average every year. 3,000 people die via drowning (non Boating). Who knew we had a pool problem in the USA? I sure didn't.

Best Case is you save 1,650 lives with your "common sense gun laws"... Or do you? Because its reported that Legal Guns are lawfully used in Self Defense over 100,000 times a year. Many times without having to fire the weapon. Add that it takes Law Enforcement more than 10 minutes (National Average) to respond to an emergency. Are you condemning more lives than that 1,650?

But people don't want truth. That's why they tell you the total death via firearms and leave out the its mostly via guns put in their own mouths.

P.S. I just looked up the mass shootings in the USA for 2019. 252 mass shootings... with 282 killed in those 252 mass shootings. 1,000 people injured.

So maybe we need an actual definition to what a mass shooting is. Used to be 4 or more killed not including the shooter. Then apparently 2 or more including the shooter?. Now apparently... IDK

Last edited:

nani17

May 3, 2018
How many times have you had random guy shooting in a crowd remove suicides, accidents etc. It's still higher than it should be.

People are talking about these shootings as being the problem

Last edited: