• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio. 7+ dead

Oct 26, 2018
And here is why your information is worthless. You are lumping in suicides, accidental discharges and illegal guns into the number to make your case why we should eliminate the 2nd Amendment.

So here is the real number via your own source https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

2017 - 39,773. Subtract suicide and accidental discharge = 14,542 (Homicides)

It's estimated by the CDC that 3-11% of homicides with guns are done by legal gun owner = 437-1,600. Rather small number for a population of 325 Million.

More people die annually drowning than from murders committed by legal gun owners. Got your life jacket?
That's what I'm talking about - homicide rates - Not absolute number as US the larger than other European countries.

You don't even have to do the math you did because their is a Homicide by Gun section that already shows 14,542.

The homicide rate by firearm is 200x the UK.

I don't know why you keep bring up "legal" owner kills. A gun kill is a gun kill.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
You just keep focusing on the "legal gun owner" numbers because it fits your narrative that everything is like totally fine guys calm down. The crimes committed using illegal firearms should absolutely count towards the numbers when it comes to gun violence in America. Pretending that they don't matter or shouldn't play a part in the gun control conversation is just intentional ignorance on your part.
No sir or ma’am

I am focusing on the legal gun owner because all your ideas, all your new (not new) untried (already tried) laws are only geared towards the legal gun owner and process of legally owning a gun.

May 22, 2018
No sir or ma’am

I am focusing on the legal gun owner because all your ideas, all your new (not new) untried (already tried) laws are only geared towards the legal gun owner and process of legally owning a gun.
No they are not? Did you not see the part where I suggested drastically raising the punishment for owning or selling illegal firearms? If you make the punishment of being found in possession of an illegal firearm severe enough then it would reduce the number of people willing to buy, sell, and use them. Which in turn would help reduce gun related crimes in the US.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
No they are not? Did you not see the part where I suggested drastically raising the punishment for owning or selling illegal firearms? If you make the punishment of being found in possession of an illegal firearm severe enough then it would reduce the number of people willing to buy, sell, and use them. Which in turn would help reduce gun related crimes in the US.
Losing battle dude.

The US is the only first world country with such hardened support for guns. And what's happened over time is a shit load of legal and illegal guns all over the place. So for every person who bought one for $500, have gun trying to get it off the street as nobody wants to lose out on spending money.

Someone above even said there's more guns than people. WTF?

It's just one of those things where the average American is willing to take the risk and dodge bullets (no pun intended) with two guns in their house (and hoping none of their kids find it) they aren't one of the shooting spree victims.

You can add up the next 10 biggest first world countries..... Japan, Germany, France, UK, Italy, Canada etc.... and I bet (without even looking at the data) the US still has tons more gun violence even if you get to 330,000,000 people like the US.

To even out the gun killings, you got to add in all those second and third world countries with unstable governments and law enforcement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamel

AfricanKing

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2017
Yes, psychos will hit soft targets with whatever they have available.

I know you still don't even realize you just figured it out, but you figured it out. Don't worry, I'm sure by next response you'll have forgotten again.
Here's the question again for you since you seem to be acting like a dunce.

Would a madman armed with a knife caused much less damage than a madman armed with a gun?
You've shared 1 article about 4 men going to on a knife spree and another about a man killing disabled people in a care home who cant move ...

Continue deflecting it's looking good

Last edited:

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
No it won't. Certainty of being caught reduces crime not harsher punishments, since most people that commit crimes believe they will get away with it. The ones that don't, have mental health issues or are on drugs, and the harshness of the punishment does not deter them what so ever.

Last edited:

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
So your answer to guns is retooling the war on drugs and prohibition?

Ok.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Here's the question again for you since you seem to be acting like a dunce.

You've shared 1 article about 4 men going to on a knife spree and another about a man killing disabled people in a care home who cant move ...

Continue deflecting it's looking good
I gave you an answer.

Last edited:

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
But gun control by the Brits was fundamentally linked to the start of the rebellion.
What?
There is absolutely no connection between people's ability to revolt and some puny laws written out there somewhere.

Psychotic killers are psychotic. They will use whatever means are accessible.
Because once in, eh, what is it, 3 decades a Japanese man armed with a knife managed to kill 19 disabled people.
Makes sense.

Last edited:

TheGreatYosh

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2018
I like how me wanting Congress to do something about mass shootings is "Anti-American Trash" to you. Get a grip.
Liberals of all kinds, not just radlibs have created this environment, and we have people like you that can only think to take away our rights as a solution. This ugly Capitalistic multiculti hell scape is the problem.

royox

Nov 3, 2013
I have to study, pass a theorical test, pass a psicological test and pass a skill exam...JUST TO DRIVE A CAR while people can buy guns on Wallmart. There's something wrong in this 300 years old country.

I'm sorry for the victims but at this point it has become "another day on the US". If you don't want to solve this issue then you reached the "deal with it" point.

Still find funny the "guns don't kill, people with guns kill". It's like "I didn't kill him, I pushed him from the 10th floor and GRAVITY killed him".

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
What?
There is absolutely no connection between people's ability to revolt and some puny laws written out there somewhere.
What are you talking about? I am talking about causes. What are you talking about?

Gun control measures by the Brits were a fundemental cause of the Revolutionary War. This is not even something that can be debated. Following the Boston Tea Party, British attempts to control guns and ammunition in the colonies [import, trade, and armories] was a major [if not the major] cause for the revolution. Redcoats were literally raiding armories and taking our gunpowder in the build up to the war, in an attempt to quell the rebellion before it even started. Our experience with Britian directly led to the 1st and 2nd. It is so fundamentally a part of our history that i have to think you're simply talking about something else, because there is nothing historically controversial about my statement "But gun control by the Brits was fundamentally linked to the start of the rebellion." But given your previous statement suggested you thought the 2nd predated the revolution, perhaps you simply have no historical knowledge of this?

Because once in, eh, what is it, 3 decades a Japanese man armed with a knife managed to kill 19 disabled people.
Makes sense.
I'll quote this, but it ain't worth a response.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
What are you talking about? I am talking about causes. What are you talking about?
You made a point that strict gun ownership laws somehow prevent revolts, which is so obviously false, that it's mind boggling someone continues to insist on it.

Gun control measures by the Brits were a fundemental cause of the Revolutionary War.
I don't know what "Revolutionary War" is, or why does it matter at all in the context.
If we absolutely must talk about how US departed from UK here, US's war for independence was supported by France, that is where you'd get your weapons.

UPDATE: oh, dear god, guns were the reason for RW, really? Not high taxation? Go fix wikipedia please.

I'll quote this, but it ain't worth a response.
Because there is nothing to respond with.
Because reality looks like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hesemonni

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
Doesnt change the fact that mass-shootings are more a thing that happens in the USA then in UK.
School shootings, mall shootings, lone wolfs and shit like that are events much more comon in the USA. Of course you have much more people but with the great level of poverty, mental illness, umeployment, racism, Trump and the ridiculous gun law I think its pretty clear America has a huge problem and allowing guns for citizens is one of them.

Btw. Why are we even comparing this with other countries?
poverty has been dropping and unemployment is at a 50-year low

Laws can be changed. In recent times, the 2nd amendment has caused more harm than good. Make illegal anything but guns that have to be reloaded after every fire. Aerial scans of each and every home/building (hell, cops have already done this) to identify who is keeping assault rifles, handguns, and anything that can fire more than a round at a time, and if one chooses to not cooperate, put a police barrier around their home until they comply or show their craziness, in which case flash bang/tear gas/arrest or if they start shooting because “my precious guns!”, put them down and one less irrational loon in this world. Start with gangs and domestic terrorist groups and work your way backward until every last home, warehouse, and business is searched.
jesus

Sure he did lol

Pardon me if I am a bit skeptical about that claim.
You haven't learned a thing, have you?

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi
May 22, 2018
You haven't learned a thing, have you?
Yeah sorry but being skeptical about shit said on the internet by questionable sources is not ever something I am ever not gonna do. Especially when the things that are said are hard to believe in the first place.

Am I gonna be wrong for doing that sometimes? Absolutely. But I will take that chance.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I'm not handwaving away anything. I spoke to the largest driving forcing of gun violence historically: density, poverty, and ease of access to weapons.
Poverty and ease-of-access do not appear to be correlating factors when it comes to gun violence, as I already pointed out. In cities and states where guns are most restricted (the opposite of easy-to-access), gun violence is still very high. In areas of high rural poverty and high gun ownership, gun violence is still low across the board (on average).

To hammer the point home:

The two states with the highest death toll from mass shootings so far this year (Cali and Illinois) have some of the USA's strictest gun laws.

Density? Well, I think there are numerous problems caused by dense cities, so I agree with you there. However, I'm not going to blame the violence solely on "density" either.

All of those are objective measures, which is the focus of the point I'm making. The latter of which is very difficult for the law to directly address, because the ubiquity of weapons manufactured and trafficked are 2A protected.
Maybe we should equip our police to clean up illegal guns and the gangs that run them. Unfortunately, attention-seeking DAs have been using the "systemic racism" defense for decades to prevent this from occurring.

Last edited:
Reactions: finowns

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
Yeah sorry but being skeptical about shit said on the internet by questionable sources is not ever something I am ever not gonna do. Especially when the things that are said are hard to believe in the first place.

Am I gonna be wrong for doing that sometimes? Absolutely. But I will take that chance.
Yeah, you've definitely never jumped to conclusions based on shit said by questionable sources.

Dec 15, 2011

Do you know what confirmation bias is?

TheGreatYosh

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2018
I have to study, pass a theorical test, pass a psicological test and pass a skill exam...JUST TO DRIVE A CAR while people can buy guns on Wallmart. There's something wrong in this 300 years old country.

I'm sorry for the victims but at this point it has become "another day on the US". If you don't want to solve this issue then you reached the "deal with it" point.

Still find funny the "guns don't kill, people with guns kill". It's like "I didn't kill him, I pushed him from the 10th floor and GRAVITY killed him".
Driving a car is not a right.

Reactions: Razvedka

royox

Nov 3, 2013
Driving a car is not a right.
You won't make me understand your "rights", you are stuck with a 300 years old paper and are brainwashed since kids that this paper is sacred and untouchable while in my country we had 8 diferent constitutions since 1812, the last one on 1978 and it already feels outdated and we have the feeling that we need a new one or at least some serious changes.

TheGreatYosh

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2018
You won't make me understand your "rights", you are stuck with a 300 years old paper and are brainwashed since kids that this paper is sacred and untouchable while in my country we had 8 diferent constitutions since 1812, the last one on 1978 and it already feels outdated and we have the feeling that we need a new one or at least some serious changes.
Why do leftists always miss the point? Are you stupid, or is it on purpose? Your comparison was trash if I think the US constitution is sacred or not since it is in our constitution and driving a car is not. And I don't believe it's sacred by the way.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014

Not my post.

royox

Nov 3, 2013
Uh, making a LOT of assumptions there 🤨. With you n.americans everything is "left and right".I live in a country where citisens can't buy weapons and for me is common sense. Also we have 0 mass shootings per year. How many do you have every month?Do you feel proud about it? "Muh weapons!! Muh Rights!!!". A little more control on who can and who can't buy weapons maybe would lower the numbers but we'll never know, the RNA is too strong on the US and they won't allow it.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Uh, making a LOT of assumptions there 🤨. With you n.americans everything is "left and right".I live in a country where citisens can't buy weapons and for me is common sense. Also we have 0 mass shootings per year. How many do you have every month?Do you feel proud about it? "Muh weapons!! Muh Rights!!!". A little more control on who can and who can't buy weapons maybe would lower the numbers but we'll never know, the RNA is too strong on the US and they won't allow it.
Its the nra and they are not very strong. Its that the American people don't want to lose rights and the one in question is constitutionally protected.

TheGreatYosh

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2018
You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the US. The states with the most gun freedom have some of the lowest murder rates in the country. It has way more to do with the people that live in the environment, not the guns.

And the NRA has done good in the past, but they are unfortunately cucks now. You are looking dumb on every point you bring up. Stop while you're behind.

Edammer

Jul 22, 2016
Netherlands
You made a point that strict gun ownership laws somehow prevent revolts, which is so obviously false, that it's mind boggling someone continues to insist on it.

I don't know what "Revolutionary War" is, or why does it matter at all in the context.
If we absolutely must talk about how US departed from UK here, US's war for independence was supported by France, that is where you'd get your weapons.

UPDATE: oh, dear god, guns were the reason for RW, really? Not high taxation? Go fix wikipedia please.

Because there is nothing to respond with.
Because reality looks like this:

There was a mass shooting in the Netherlands this year?

finowns

May 10, 2009
Much of this is over stated. Being murdered by a gun is not something the average American worries about until that changes you aren't going to see a major change, for example, Baltimore alone has 60 murders a month and it's not a big deal. Also, I don't know exactly how strong the NRA is but the reason we want to keep guns in the hands of citizens is because majority of Americans want that right.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
lol @ twitter purging this dude's twitter account

stay woke, bitches

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
Person one: There was a mass shooting with multiple people dead and person who did it killed by police.

Person 2: How do you feel about that

Person one: I'm not sure until I find out who the shooter was.
Honestly I find myself falling into that type of thinking everything is so polarized that any leverage is used regardless of decorum.

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018
I think criminals don’t cares about gun control laws.
This. Criminals don't give 2 fucks about that subject. They are the ones carrying a illegal gun and coming for you if they want to rob you. Killing is a bonus. Now you having the means (a gun) to defend your family and yourself when it happens especially if you are in your own home is another subject.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Laws can be changed. In recent times, the 2nd amendment has caused more harm than good. Make illegal anything but guns that have to be reloaded after every fire. Aerial scans of each and every home/building (hell, cops have already done this) to identify who is keeping assault rifles, handguns, and anything that can fire more than a round at a time, and if one chooses to not cooperate, put a police barrier around their home until they comply or show their craziness, in which case flash bang/tear gas/arrest or if they start shooting because “my precious guns!”, put them down and one less irrational loon in this world. Start with gangs and domestic terrorist groups and work your way backward until every last home, warehouse, and business is searched.
There aren't enough police in the country to do that, you dumbass. Try again.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: pimentel1

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
What?

We literally just had a studio burned down in Japan that murdered more people than these events combined.

Also, comparing apples and oranges of two very, very different countries and cultures.

Why does the number of mass shootings matter by itself? Who cares if in one country everyone who was murdered dies in a mass shooting while in another country where everyone who was murdered was stabbed?

Mass shootings are incredibly rare to the point of being negligible. As Neil deGrasse Tyson tweeted:

Who worries about those things?

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Reading a little further down. . .

I think the case against gun control makes itself. All those rules, the TSA, all of it has literally done nothing. Completely worthless. The TSA detection rate is 30%, which demonstrates that there have not actually been any attempts at attacks because they would have almost certainly gone through.

No one is significantly safer in the US because of 9/11-related regulations. And no one would be safer with heavy gun controls or bans.

Last edited:

ssolitare

Banned
Jan 12, 2009
Oh great, whataboutism, the flu no less!

Do you guys know how many mothefucking pigs died in the last hour, holy shit!!! Cant fuck with guns anymore!

#onethingatatime
#MAGAt

Last edited:
  • Triggered

Taxexemption

Oct 11, 2011

Did you really have to pass a psychological test to drive a car? I didn't. I would be really interested in knowing more about this psychological test. If you buy a firearm at Wal Mart you will be subject to a background check. The background check is primarily looking for criminal history. If someone has been a law abiding citizen, why should we be able to deny them the right to buy a firearm?

Last edited: