• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Chalice | Double Fine | Review Thread

Thought I could just as well do a review thread, instead of posting them in the regular thread.

OT here.

Eurogamer

recommended-large-net.png

Eurogamer said:
A demanding and ingenious twist on turn-based strategy sees Double Fine back at its best.

[..]

As with any game that monkeys around with the familiar rhythms of a beloved genre, your enjoyment of Massive Chalice will depend largely on your willingness to meet its bigger ideas halfway. Most notably, you need to accept that it's more about making the best of a flawed hand than building a perfect system. It's frustrating when your two most powerful warriors spawn a dim-witted weakling, but you have to make do. So much of what you're given to work with is random, and every pro has a significant con attached, but it's always your decision making that decides the larger, long term outcomes.

[..]

Basically, the game asks a lot of you, and demands that you pay close attention to every decision you make. While that makes for a steep learning curve, requiring deep thought is hardly the worst sin a strategy game can commit. Slyly funny, satisfyingly deep and yet slick and simple to play, Massive Chalice is a huge return to form for a studio that is overdue a comeback.

Quarter to Three - 5/5

QuarterToThree said:
Some of these things will still be a liability for many players. Where I see a bold design, they’ll see annoying hero churn and an endgame sucker punch. These are the same people who reload XCOM when their high level characters die because they don’t want to play a game with painful deaths, because they’re focused on beating the game, because they need to jealously shepherd their most powerful characters through to the finale. Massive Chalice isn’t for them. Massive Chalice, a brilliant and subversive take on tactical RPGs, is for the rest of us. Bravo, Double Fine. It’s easy enough to make a good game a lot of people will like. It’s not so easy to make a great game only some people will love.

Kotaku - YES

1290185269681894831.png

Game Informer - 8/10

GameInformer said:
While Massive Chalice isn’t much to look at, I couldn’t wait to see this century-spanning adventure through to the end. Double Fine’s strategy simulation is rough around the edges, but hard to put down.

Twinfinite - 5/5

TwinFinite said:
Between the far-reaching scale, the slick and intuitive combat, and the fun of raising heroes through the years, MASSIVE CHALICE brings a whole lot to the table. While each piece may not be strong enough to stand in its genre alone, the combination and way that each plays into the other creates a phenomenally fun experience.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4/5

AttackOfTheFanboy said:
Massive Chalice really has a unique and interesting premise and even with the lackluster combat it’s a lot of fun to play. The management of bloodlines and Keeps, the necessity to keep breeding different types of units to keep your army balanced, and a wide array of power-ups you can research make each playthrough feel different.

Hardcoregamer - 4/5

HardcoreGamer said:
Massive Chalice is the best turn-based strategy title of 2015 so far, and its unique simulation aspects make it especially intriguing. This isn’t going to be thought of as a title that can contend with XCOM on the back of its combat alone, but managing each hero’s genetic traits adds another level of depth to an already deep genre. One of the most challenging titles to come out in quite some time, Massive Chalice will cause players to fail over and over before they taste the sweetness that is victory, but every shortcoming eventually leads to an important lesson. The culmination of these small lessons is what makes Double Fine’s latest game to be addicting, consuming and utterly enjoyable. After all, that last quality is one of the most important characteristics of good game design; pick all the nits you want, Massive Chalice is incredibly engaging and that’s truly what matters.

Softopedia - 8.5/10

Softopedia said:
Double Fine has managed to create a good mix of classic and innovative elements, and the experience is challenging enough to keep fans engaged for a long time.

Shacknews - 8/10

Shacknews said:
Between the bloodlines, research, and combat, Massive Chalice tosses a ton to micromanage, and it can feel overwhelming. But it all builds up to a spectacular ending that makes it worthwhile and satisfying.

Killscreen - 7/10

Killscreen said:
Games like Massive Chalice live or die on the emergent narratives they create, which makes designing death as an inevitability for your cast of heroes an admirable risk. They’re trusting that, as the wheel of time turns, players will glimpse a larger shape coming into view. The stories that stand out are family epics, like the Buendias of Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s 100 Years of Solitude. By following the tangled paths of lineage, we’re left with tales too large to be understood in terms of the lone hero.

PC Gamer - 75/100

PCGamer said:
Judged as a spiritual child of XCOM, Massive Chalice is more of a brainy second son than an all-conquering firstborn. It turns in some clever twists, but doesn’t offer enough baseline complexity to support the kind of dazzling reversals the other franchise is celebrated for. It feels like the start of a promising bloodline, however. Perhaps one of its descendants will rise to greatness.

Worthplaying - 7.5/10

WorthPlaying said:
Taken as a whole, Massive Chalice is basically tactical strategy "lite." It is easy to pick up and play, and there are enough varied elements to keep veterans of the genre interested, but it doesn't break any new ground. If it were a $60 game, Massive Chalice wouldn't hold up, but as a $20 game, it fits the bill nicely. This isn't a title that is going to compete head-to-head with the next XCOM, but it is a good way to pass the time while you wait for XCOM 2.

Examiner.com - 3/5

Examiner said:
Massive Chalice is a hodgepodge of mechanics all rolled into one heck of a game. The lore and look to this world is interesting. It’s a bit on the rough side when playing it, however. Still, to those looking for a rewarding, challenging tactical RPG, it’s worth looking into.

DRM Gamescast - 8/10

DRMGamescast said:
Massive Chalice is an excellent addition to genre. The bloodline elements create a system that is designed for long-term planning. Simply keeping your heroes alive isn't enough. Furthering bloodlines, preserving Relics, forming power couples, and researching new items is all necessary to win the 300 year-long war. Massive Chalice may not be as robust as other strategy games, but the key elements it does focus on make it great in its own right.

Gamer Knights - 8.3/10

GamerKnights said:
Massive Chalice is a resounding success for Double Fine. It doesn’t make a great first impression, and the games are a little long, but the quality of the writing and tough, strategic gameplay is unlike anything else on the market right now. Especially if you have an Xbox One, you really should sup from Double Fine’s chalice.

Gamer Headlines - 8/10

GamerHeadlines said:
Massive Chalice makes a few missteps here and there, but for such a small project, it definitely does the best with what it has. A solid amount of loot and strategy make Massive Chalice an undoubtedly fun game for fans of the genre, even if the storyline is clichéd and the unit progression imperfect. If you’ve always wanted a fantasy-themed XCOM, you’re not going to get much better than this.

Paste Magazine - 8/10

PasteMagazine said:
Massive Chalice is about time, about heroes, and most importantly, it’s about taking that deep breath before the strike.

US Gamer - 3.5/5

USGamer said:
Massive Chalice's generational loop makes for a strong core, and elements like the hybrid classes lend it some much-needed depth. However, it doesn't do a great job of tracking the history of your heroes, and it's ultimately lacking in elements like diverse character art and base classes. Still, there's the foundation for a phenomenal strategy game here if Double Fine is willing to build on it. As it is, though, it makes for a diverting few hours, and a welcome change of pace from XCOM.

Gamespot - 6/10

Gamespot said:
THE GOOD
Eugenics experiments can go horribly right...or horribly wrong
Well-executed combat provides both tension and satisfaction
Occasional silliness to world provides a welcome light touch
"Choice" moments play out in unexpected ways
THE BAD
Large stretches of combat consist of aimless wandering
Stylized art style still manages to lack personality
Consistent inability to express important information to player
Personality traits of heroes are abstracted to a depersonalizing degree

Destructoid - 6/10

Destructoid said:
Amicable - A presentable but unmemorable time. Focusing on the bright spots helps, and I appreciate the effort, but I won't be playing this repeatedly.

Gaming Boulevard - 4/5

Bagogames - 9/10

High Score Reviews - 5/5

Guns&Pixels - 80/100

Judged as a spiritual child of XCOM, Massive Chalice is more of a brainy second son than an all-conquering firstborn. It turns in some clever twists, but doesn’t offer enough baseline complexity to support the kind of dazzling reversals the other franchise is celebrated for. It feels like the start of a promising bloodline, however. Perhaps one of its descendants will rise to greatness
I agree with this. It's a good game and I'm enjoying it, but it lacks in depth and complexity during combat; there are no defensive options, too few classes and also the levels lack in verticality. I managed to win almost every battle just using crossbow-oriented classes.

On a side note, I'd really love someone to kickstart a Gladius spiritual successor. Please do it!

Osahi

Free with Gold. So definitely checking it out. Glad it seems to turn out great, should soften the No Xcom 2 on consoles blow.

Played a bunch last night a day while I love the premise of this game and the strategic layer (and the presentation is excellent), the tactical combat seems a little too a simplistic. I've spent a ton of time playing Invisible Inc. since that came out and I think it's the better game by far.

shandy706

Tried this some last night. I was way too tired to know what in the world I was doing, probably already screwed up 20 years in.

I had to give it a break as I needed rest and felt lost in the non-combat part of gameplay.

Edit** Good reviews.

Some new reviews, gonna add to OP soon.

Quarter to Three - 5/5

QuarterToThree said:
Some of these things will still be a liability for many players. Where I see a bold design, they’ll see annoying hero churn and an endgame sucker punch. These are the same people who reload XCOM when their high level characters die because they don’t want to play a game with painful deaths, because they’re focused on beating the game, because they need to jealously shepherd their most powerful characters through to the finale. Massive Chalice isn’t for them. Massive Chalice, a brilliant and subversive take on tactical RPGs, is for the rest of us. Bravo, Double Fine. It’s easy enough to make a good game a lot of people will like. It’s not so easy to make a great game only some people will love.

Killscreen - 7/10

Killscreen said:
Games like Massive Chalice live or die on the emergent narratives they create, which makes designing death as an inevitability for your cast of heroes an admirable risk. They’re trusting that, as the wheel of time turns, players will glimpse a larger shape coming into view. The stories that stand out are family epics, like the Buendias of Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s 100 Years of Solitude. By following the tangled paths of lineage, we’re left with tales too large to be understood in terms of the lone hero.

Kotaku - YES

1290185269681894831.png

Gamer Knights - 8.3/10

GamerKnights said:
Massive Chalice is a resounding success for Double Fine. It doesn’t make a great first impression, and the games are a little long, but the quality of the writing and tough, strategic gameplay is unlike anything else on the market right now. Especially if you have an Xbox One, you really should sup from Double Fine’s chalice.

Gamer Headlines - 8/10

GamerHeadlines said:
Massive Chalice makes a few missteps here and there, but for such a small project, it definitely does the best with what it has. A solid amount of loot and strategy make Massive Chalice an undoubtedly fun game for fans of the genre, even if the storyline is clichéd and the unit progression imperfect. If you’ve always wanted a fantasy-themed XCOM, you’re not going to get much better than this.

Paste Magazine - 8/10

PasteMagazine said:
Massive Chalice is about time, about heroes, and most importantly, it’s about taking that deep breath before the strike.

US Gamer - 3.5/5

USGamer said:
Massive Chalice's generational loop makes for a strong core, and elements like the hybrid classes lend it some much-needed depth. However, it doesn't do a great job of tracking the history of your heroes, and it's ultimately lacking in elements like diverse character art and base classes. Still, there's the foundation for a phenomenal strategy game here if Double Fine is willing to build on it. As it is, though, it makes for a diverting few hours, and a welcome change of pace from XCOM.

Gamespot - 6/10

Gamespot said:
THE GOOD
Eugenics experiments can go horribly right...or horribly wrong
Well-executed combat provides both tension and satisfaction
Occasional silliness to world provides a welcome light touch
"Choice" moments play out in unexpected ways
THE BAD
Large stretches of combat consist of aimless wandering
Stylized art style still manages to lack personality
Consistent inability to express important information to player
Personality traits of heroes are abstracted to a depersonalizing degree

Destructoid - 6/10

Destructoid said:
Amicable - A presentable but unmemorable time. Focusing on the bright spots helps, and I appreciate the effort, but I won't be playing this repeatedly.

Top Bottom