• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive crack in Antarctica ice shelf grows 11 miles in only 6 days #HeyTrump

Xe4

Banned
Contributions due to thermal expansion and reduction in land ice are comparable in size, with shedding apparently being the larger one. See here.
True, though it should be pointed out that I was simply talking about the ice sheets in my original post. They are in the minority of the ice being added to the ocean, and thus even more minority to total cause of volume increase in the ocean.
http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/sotc/sea_level.html

Still I'll addend my post. Thank you for pointing out my error.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from breaking off or is this only a matter of time?

Not a damn thing can be done.

Do you realize exactly how big this chunk of ice is? It's not just big, it's the size of a small state.

Oersted

In another sign that the iceberg calving is imminent, the soon-to-be-iceberg part of Larsen C Ice Shelf has tripled in speed to more than ten meters per day between 24th and 27th June 2017. The iceberg remains attached to the ice shelf, but its outer end is moving at the highest speed ever recorded on this ice shelf. We still can’t tell when calving will occur - it could be hours, days or weeks - but this is a notable departure from previous observations.

Global warming needs to cool down.. so how do you do it? By flooding the planet with water. Problem solved.

Am Republican

Khaz

Trump is about to dump the biggest ice cube in the ocean to cure so called 'global warming'. One less #FakeNews.

Socreges

Banned
flordia is gonna be in trouble in 5 years or so in parts arent they? Well, it will take some eye awakening events to get people changing.
By the time Americans are severely impacted, it may be largely irreversible. The conversation and decision points will be very different at that stage.

Xe4

Banned
It'll be hard to get a sense of scale when it happens.

True. But it'll still be hundreds of thousands of tons of ice cleaving off, which is fascinating. And polar satellites will be able to track it, as it is large enough. What's most fascinating to me, is it's in the middle of the Antarctic winter, so the forces trying to cleave it must be greater than any ice pack that is trying to form.

rjc571

Banned
flordia is gonna be in trouble in 5 years or so in parts arent they? Well, it will take some eye awakening events to get people changing.

Bangladesh is an even bigger cause for concern, they're the tenth most populated country in the world with 160 million people and nearly all of them live very close to sea level.

Xe4

Banned

5 years? No. In 5 years, the sea level will have risen by 15-20 mm compared to today. In 100 years? The water will have crept up quite a bit, causing a lot of damage and a lot of costs trying to adapt. The thing about climate change is it's so slow, a lot of people have trouble understanding the time spans involved (which are blindingly quick on a geologic time scale).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I assume it will break into smaller pieces once it's free.

If you want people to care, it's very important that you compare this to a landmass that's far more important than Delaware.

Oersted

The latest data from 6th July reveal that, in a release of built-up stresses, the rift branched several times. Using data from ESA’s Sentinel-1 satellites, we can see that there are multiple rift tips now within 5 km of the ice edge. We expect that these rifts will lead to the formation of several smaller icebergs, as well as the large iceberg which we estimate will have an area of 5,800 sq km. Despite this, the iceberg remains attached to the shelf by a thin band of ice. It is remarkable how the moment of calving is still keeping us waiting.

Top Bottom