• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive EVE online battle, 10 hours, 2000 players, 57 dead titans.

Rd2KuCF.png

Yeah once you get past the gate camps at the border of 0.0 you're home free for the most part. You won't see many people out there unless you know where to look, and if you do, run away lol. I tend to only go to 0.0 space in my Spec Op ships so I can just slip by if I'm alone.

I would go out in my Venture mining ships named AdVenture I , II and so on. Was fun headed out into hostile territory and mining super rare minerals and then praying you can get back home with the goods without running into a bored " pirate " out there.

First thing I did was create the means to build my own frigates and Ventures so if I did die in null I just went back to base and jumped into the next one

Oh shit guys...a 3rd super power is supposedly on its way. Folks are mentioning Something Awful...not certain but if that is SA forums I dont know what that means.

Here's the latest update:

Also more detailed summary:

Interdiction spheres are everywhere right now and those prevent ships from leaving once they go in. This will not end.

That would be GoonWaffe and they are already on field in the largest numbers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
i dunt understand

200,000 dollars in real money. Good lord you could make it rain for days.

These crazy EVE battles would actually be pretty good inspiration for a sci-fi film or TV series.

All this over a rent payment? Damn, wait until it involves a girl...

shaowebb

Folks are saying PL lost this the moment the order for retreat was given and that CFC have this won...but I need to know if Goonswarm is a part of either. I dont know the factions and if Goon is CFC or what. If not...well could we be about to see the Goonswarm here to dig into the CFC and PL remaining ships to take them on in a weakened state? Someone clarify whats happening with them here.

Scum

Damn! $200,000 lost?! Where's that Goonsquad(?) in all of this??

These crazy EVE battles would actually be pretty good inspiration for a sci-fi film or TV series.

All this over a rent payment? Damn, wait until it involves a girl...

Before or after she moves into the house?

Folks are saying PL lost this the moment the order for retreat was given and that CFC have this won...but I need to know if Goonswarm is a part of either. I dont know the factions and if Goon is CFC or what. If not...well could we be about to see the Goonswarm here to dig into the CFC and PL remaining ships to take them on in a weakened state? Someone clarify whats happening with them here.

goonswarm is in cfc i believe

Folks are saying PL lost this the moment the order for retreat was given and that CFC have this won...but I need to know if Goonswarm is a part of either. If not...well could we be about to see the Goonswarm here to dig into the CFC and PL remaining ships to take them on in a weakened state? Someone clarify whats happening with them here.

Goonswarm operates the CFC. Much of the battle was decided in the early hours of the fight. This was a system owned by Nulli which their ally PL was staging out of. This is a massive blow for Nulli in the long term above all else.

Goonswarm (now Goonwaffe) is the largest alliance fighting PL already. Black Legion is the one remaining cap/supercap superpower not engaged but I believe they just arrived and are on Goonwaff's side.

shaowebb

goonswarm is in cfc i believe

Goonswarm operates the CFC. Much of the battle was decided in the early hours of the fight. This was a system owned by Nulli which their ally PL was staging out of. This is a massive blow for Nulli in the long term above all else.

Kick ass. Thanks for that because the politics of EVE is a friggin' huge history lesson. This stuff is nuts. This is by far the most expensive online battle ever to my knowledge.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It would be brilliant if a third, separate crew came in to clean up the scraps and take over for themselves.

Lemondish

Having played for a few years, I can count the number of times I've ever done a quest on one hand. You have to come into the game with the right mindset and preferably the right group of people. It's a social game, not a themepark mmo.

Seems my problem is between the chair and keyboard then, lol

An-Det

This is incredible. These large-scale events in EVE are fascinating to watch as an outsider, and I guess this dwards pretty much everything before it. The money on the line, the backroom politics, the giant space battle, it's so awesome to read about. Not my cup of tea for actually playing, but it's such a unique thing, I love it.

As someone who has been in some of these huge fights before the story of it is a lot more fun than actually playing inside it.

EVE does have the craziest stories though.

AlexMogil

"Today, N3PL surprisingly lost sovereignty over PL's warzone staging system of B-R5RB, apparently due to an administrative issue with sovereignty bills. CFC forces were quick to capitalize and dropped their own Territorial Control Units, which take 8 hours to online until sovereignty is claimed."

And we bitch about how boring Star Wars: Episode I is.

Just wait till Star Citizen lol.

Star Citizen looks like Eve Online with 2014 graphics and an even more detailed economy ( maybe )

That is nothing close to what Star Citizen is promising. It's a much smaller scope with instanced fights of ~100 people. Don't go into that game with the wrong expectations or it could disappoint. If you want some small-scale dogfighting with a pretty expansive universe, Star Citizen might be what you're looking for (when it comes out).

ZeroAlpha

Banned
I really wish I could play EVE when i see this stuff, its always amazing.

I have to wonder how hard it is to organize a battle with that many ships.. do they have front line commanders directing ships? how do you even battle at 5 fps?

Those screenshots are amazing but I have no idea how anyone knows who is targeting whom.

Noob question, wasn't Goonswarm the ones that broke apart Band of Brothers a few years back? Is that group still around now?

Yep. They lead a coalition that controls half the galaxy at this point and are fighting a coalition, lead by old allies Pandemic Legion, that owns the other half. This battle looks to end that war I think.

Yep. They lead a coalition that controls half the galaxy at this point and are fighting a coalition, lead by old allies Pandemic Legion, that owns the other half. This battle looks to end that war I think.

Ah ok, how about the old band of brothers? Or have them been swallowed up by these 2 power blocs now?

That photo album is amazing.

Would be nice if EVE's servers could handle this kind of situation a little better. More dynamically, perhaps. 4 or 5 frames per second fucking sucks. I guess on the positive side, it means people can coordinate and organize a little better. But shit man.

shandy706

It would be brilliant if a third, separate crew came in to clean up the scraps and take over for themselves.

Yeah, if there was some massive "neutral" group that waited for them to practically wipe each other out...then moved in and took everything....that would be awesome.

Noob question, wasn't Goonswarm the ones that broke apart Band of Brothers a few years back? Is that group still around now?

Goonswarm originally broke up BoB. There is a lot of difference between the Goonswarm of today and the Goonswarm that destroyed BoB. Goonswarm is more seen as a coalition of tens of thousands today, than a few thousand person alliance. It's not primarily a SomethingAwful-based alliance anymore. Goonswarm focuses on its space empire and expansion.

As someone who has been in some of these huge fights before the story of it is a lot more fun than actually playing inside it.

EVE does have the craziest stories though.

Lol yeah, want to hear something crazy? I used to get .... Drunk .... And fly around trade stations free flying around players ships, parking 50m away from them, acting like I an self docking, flying around at 2.5 KM/h, etc. I met some miner who had been around for 2 years. 2 years mind you. I flew around the asteroid field he was in trying not to hit the collision detection fields. He radios me " HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU DOUNG THAT ITS AWESOME! ".

I then proceeded to " dock " next to his ship. I asked him ... Really you cant do this! All you have to do is double tap the screen and your shop goes where you clicked LMAO. The dude was completely floored and had no idea. I was indeed amazed and ran into plenty of other people who had no clue you could fly around anywhere and not point and click to go places lmao.

Was funny and sad.

Most of the corps are scattered between many alliances but the core corp, Evolution, runs its own small independent alliance that doesn't control any space.

Goonswarm originally broke up BoB. There is a lot of difference between the Goonswarm of today and the Goonswarm that destroyed BoB. Goonswarm is more seen as a coalition of tens of thousands today, than a few thousand person alliance. It's not primarily a SomethingAwful-based alliance anymore. Goonswarm focuses on its space empire and expansion.

Thanks for the explanation, man this game's political landscape changes everytime I read about it

How weakened are these two after this battle? What happens if the third largest moves in and joins the battle?

There isn't a "third largest." There are two superpowers in EVE. No one else could realistically enter the battle at this point.

Smaller entities have been destroying key assets during this battle. A small pirate corporation managed to destroy a lone titan in the middle of nowhere attempting to get to the battle. A primarily roleplaying alliance managed to gank a Russian supercarrier in a similar situation.

DarkFlow

Banned
Lol yeah, want to hear something crazy? I used to get .... Drunk .... And fly around trade stations free flying around players ships, parking 50m away from them, acting like I an self docking, flying around at 2.5 KM/h, etc. I met some miner who had been around for 2 years. 2 years mind you. I flew around the asteroid field he was in trying not to hit the collision detection fields. He radios me " HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU DOUNG THAT ITS AWESOME! ".

I then proceeded to " dock " next to his ship. I asked him ... Really you cant do this! All you have to do is double tap the screen and your shop goes where you clicked LMAO. The dude was completely floored and had no idea. I was indeed amazed and ran into plenty of other people who had no clue you could fly around anywhere and not point and click to go places lmao.

Was funny and sad.
I always loved bumping people mining. Miners were so easy to piss off, I would can flip them, get them to open my can, and Pop.

There isn't a "third largest." There are two superpowers in EVE. No one else could realistically enter the battle at this point.

Smaller entities have been destroying key assets during this battle. A small pirate corporation managed to destroy a lone titan in the middle of nowhere attempting to get to the battle. A primarily roleplaying alliance managed to gank a Russian supercarrier in a similar situation.

lol

Top Bottom