• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

As mentioned, we've got our new blog going live in the next few days which will house all the details on our policy.

For now though, if anyone has issues with YouTube just show them this tweet, it should be enough.

HNreE6Z.jpg

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/410727171649314816

Froli

If Youtube is going to push this new rules without changes, I hope the gaming community channel will migrate to a new website just like when digg was dying and reddit took that opportunity to grow.

NTom64

As long as you don't monetize you can post whatever the fuck you want.

Not true at all. My friend posted a video where was talking about the new MGS game (the 360) one and it got muted.

It was him talking over a still image of the game. That's it.

Not true at all. My friend posted a video where was talking about the new MGS game (the 360) one and it got muted.

Correct. They can block your video too. The scary thing about the ContentID system is that these companies that are being identified as the content owners are then free to change their policy at any point in the future, issuing strikes if they so wish. Which would destroy tons of channels in one fell swoop.

KHlover

Banned

I posted a video with Super Smash Bros. gameplay. Nothing happened. Yay anecdotal evidence

Cuyejo

If Youtube is going to push this new rules without changes, I hope the gaming community channel will migrate to a new website just like when digg was dying and reddit took that opportunity to grow.

This goes far beyond Google's doing, publishers are the ones enforcing THIS, in other words, that detection algorithm is the only way Google can cover their asses while keeping their workforce sane (could you imagine going in a video per video basis in the largest video repository ever), there are copyright laws out there, some downright unfair, but they have to comply. "Migrating" will change nothing...
I'm gonna put this way, let's say you are in charge of Youtube, how do you tackle this issue?

Randam

Idk, for me they don't make money of the games but their personality and the way they play.

At least the money should be shared.
But to be honest, I relay don't want those big publishers to make even more money..

Correct. They can block your video too. The scary thing about the ContentID system is that these companies that are being identified as the content owners are then free to change their policy at any point in the future, issuing strikes if they so wish.

On the other side I've also had blocked videos become unblocked after a few months because content owners changed their policies. It's not all black and white and doesn't always end in the apocalypse everybody seem to fear or something.

On the other side I've also had blocked videos become unblocked after a few months because content owners changed their policies. It's not all black and white and doesn't always end in the apocalypse everybody seem to fear or something.

Worldwide blocks = a strike. A mere 3 will take down a channel. Meaning a single company's policy change can take own a channel instantly if they have 3 or more claims, which after these past two days, sounds quite likely for a lot of people.

As mentioned, we've got our new blog going live in the next few days which will house all the details on our policy.

For now though, if anyone has issues with YouTube just show them this tweet, it should be enough.

HNreE6Z.jpg

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/410727171649314816

Well done and much respect!

The devs/pubs contradict sometimes as aren't they the ones that give free games too these LP gamers instead of making them buy the game? So there ok them showcasing the game off too its best, selling it too the watchers, but not ok with them making money off it.

I can see both sides of the argument to be fair but I watched many walkthroughs of Dark Souls and had I not then I wouldn't have bought the game which led to me pre-ordering DS2....so it was a positive experience that time as written reviews by so called top gaming sites are a thing of the past for me and cant be trusted.

Kadayi

Banned
Notice I said nothing about linear narrative. If the game-play attached to the narrative is not worth playing, that is the problem.

Given that feedback loop is completely oblivious in a lets play because within itself it's a linear experience I find your argument kind of fragile in truth.

boskee

I think there should be a middle ground here - while I generally agree that profits made off unmodified gameplay footage should go directly to the developer/publisher, the profit made off let's plays that contain commentary or other creative input from the YouTuber should be at the very least split in two.

Dead Man

Given that feedback loop is completely oblivious in a lets play because within itself it's a linear experience I find your argument kind of fragile in truth.

Except you can see the game mechanics, they can be discussed by the poster, you know, all the normal ways people make judgements about these things before they have a chance to try them themselves.

It is not some informationless system. So you can find it as fragile as you like, but if watching somebody else do something ruins doing that thing, it is not a game. A game provides a unique experience to every player. It may be only matters of degree, but it is one of the defining features of what makes a game and not a digitally animated movie.

So if you have made a movie, that's fine, people shouldn't host the whole movie on YT. But a game is not like that. Unless you think people playing boardgames and filming it and commentating on it and editing the film and uploading that to a video hosting site have any worries about Hasbro shutting them down.

NTom64

I think there should be a middle ground here - while I generally agree that profits made off unmodified gameplay footage should go directly to the developer/publisher, the profit made off let's plays that contain commentary or other creative input from the YouTuber should be at the very least split in two.

This would be ideal I think. It supports the developers and gives the people who make money off the videos a reason to keep making them (speaking solely in terms of monetary gain here, not "fun").

No badwill and everybody wins.

Worldwide blocks = a strike. A mere 3 will take down a channel. Meaning a single company's policy change can take own a channel instantly if they have 3 or more claims, which after these past two days, sounds quite likely for a lot of people.

No. A Content ID match which results in a worldwide block is not a copyright strike at all. It has some negative impacts on the additional features of your channel (like the ability to upload videos longer than 15 minutes) and that's it; you can technically have dozens of videos blocked worldwide on your account. Such claims are made automatically by a robot.

Copyright strikes appear as a big unskippable red notice when you visit the website, asking you to acknowledge them, follow the Copyright School thing, and you cannot even access the video data yourself anymore (i.e. you can't watch it, see the description, the comments…). Copyright strikes involve human action from the claimant.

Also a copyright strike can include multiple videos. You won't get 3 strikes because of 3 different videos and therefore your account closed in one time; the company will issue a unique copyright strike that embraces all the allegedly infringing videos. So far there has been no report of channel closure because of yesterday's Content ID/monetization change.

Orayn

That's not exactly true. Content ID is the same system YouTube uses to automatically remove content. The content owner gets to choose whether to monetization, track, or block. Block meaning remove your content, and likely your account). I guarantee you the game publishers would like to nuke all these videos, but are going slowly to avoid backlash. In a year or so, i'll bet most of the videos flagged today will be gone.

Why do you think game publishers will do a 180 and start removing all videos of their games? Most of them are quite aware of the free publicity angle and would probably be delighted if everyone just acknowledged the claims so they could have their cake and eat it too.

CPS2

That's hilarious. Codemasters and Ubisoft are all "yo that's fucked up but dw I'm on it!" and Nintendo's all "EVERYTHING APPEARS TO BE WORKING AS INTENDED."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To play devil's advocate.. if I'm a 50-year-old video game executive and someone told me a 16-year-old kid is making a six-figure salary off showing video clips of my product on YouTube, I would probably want to do something about it too.

There is more to this than just the perspective of a gamer. We all love watching these videos and it will suck if a lot of them go away, but don't act like content creators don't have their own take on this.

Yes, YouTube gameplay gives a game exposure, but maybe there should be a line drawn about showing a complete playthrough of a game.

I doubt there would be a 16-year old kid making a six-figure salary just off my video game - it would be from an entire raft of games, with a following built up over quite some time. Plus he'd be offering something entertaining to get those subscribers Vs other play throughs.

Maybe if I was that 50 year old exec I'd want to contact him to see what he is doing that is so popular and how maybe I can get something out of it? Maybe I'll see how many views he has and think 'maybe I'm getting more sales out of this because of people being entertained while watching my game'

Eventually this might end up with some kind of shared revenue thing - but I think it is way too blunt an instrument to simply withdraw monetisation or hand it over to the owner of the game (which in decent videos is only part of the entertainment - the voiceover is also part of that

Orayn

This will make people who monetize gaming content without authorization obsolete. It's astonishing how partners think that (1) all publishers are blocking monetization and that (2) only partners are uploading video game videos.

Also, if you watch the Frasher video, it seems that it may even be possible to dispute the content ID match with a copy/pasted spiel about fair use. He made it sound like it had worked in all but a few cases. Still a pain in the ass to do that for hundreds of videos, obviously, but I'd say it's better than doing nothing.

Oh, by the way - just to shine some light on how insane Youtube policies are and always have been in these matters:

A few years ago, I got a copyright strike on my account. The video in question was - get this - me doing a screen capture with some annotations of an audio production program (a DAW, specifically) running one of MY SONGS that contains nothing that isn't purely my own copyright, as in I've written and recorded every single second of that entire song manually. This video got fucking flagged by some random asshat piece of shit corporate entity stating that the song in question was their copyright (which it damn well certainly isn't). Yes, you read all of that correctly.

Also, my video wasn't being monetized. In the end, I managed to get the issue solved though it took several months. Now, imagine if those types of videos were my livelihood. Are you fucking kidding me? Being locked out of paychecks for several months due to shit like this? Anyone defending these policies is literally insane and/or ignorant.

zakislam

Oh, by the way - just to shine some light on how insane Youtube policies are and always have been in these matters:

A few years ago, I got a copyright strike on my account. The video in question was - get this - me doing a screen capture with some annotations of an audio production program (a DAW, specifically) running one of MY SONGS that contains nothing that isn't purely my own copyright, as in I've written and recorded every single second of that entire song manually. This video got fucking flagged by some random asshat piece of shit corporate entity stating that the song in question was their copyright (which it damn well certainly isn't). Yes, you read all of that correctly.

Also, my video wasn't being monetized. In the end, I managed to get the issue solved though it took several months. Now, imagine if those types of videos were my livelihood. Are you fucking kidding me? Being locked out of paychecks for several months due to shit like this? Anyone defending these policies is literally insane and/or ignorant.

Yep, unfortunately that's how YouTube has been for a long time. A fine line between what's allowed and what's not. A copyright strike is severe - 3 = shutdown of entire account.

lexi

Banned

Hey, you're ruining the narrative of complicit corporate ballwashing.

Kadayi

Banned
It is not some informationless system. So you can find it as fragile as you like, but if watching somebody else do something ruins doing that thing, it is not a game. A game provides a unique experience to every player. It may be only matters of degree, but it is one of the defining features of what makes a game and not a digitally animated movie.

Ok lets take Dear Esther The entirety of the 'interactive experience' is you moving the camera forward. There's no pushing buttons to unlock secrets or boss battles to strategize over. It's just you walking, looking around at some pretty (spectacular) caves etc and listening the narrator talk about Esther and ruminating on what it all means.

Or what about 30 flights of loving? A 20 minute long game where in beyond the choice to pick up or not pick up objects the vast bulk of the experience is linear and scripted.

Aside from the control of time what makes the player experience unique in either case Vs watching a lets play? Personally I'm not entirely sure whether they are games in the strictest sense, albeit they are experienced principally through the medium of game engines (interactive fiction is a stretch as well, especially in DEs case) , but I don't think they qualify as movies either. However I'm not entirely convinced much in the way of meaningful experience it lost when it comes to watching either through youtube. It's all very well to argue for degrees of separation, but there has to be the case that the loss is somehow substantive, to justify the defense.

Is Pewdiepie effected? Oh god I hope so.

I'm so glad Ghostrobo got it. I seriously hate that kid. I hate any gaming channel on YouTube that acts like a dick and uses this as a argument "Well that view you just gave me earned me money". He along with most other channels also use thumbnails that are the most likely to get views so they get more money. Way to act like a greedy ass, now it's coming back to bite them. Hell, he's already saying how if he stops making money he'll find other ways to make money like vlogs and donatations. Pathetic, of course he's not exactly saying that but that's definitely what seems like he's implying.

Also, any person that says "Please like & subscribe" pretty much guarantees that I'll dislike their video and stop watching them. If people like your videos then they'll subscribe, begging just makes you look pathertic.

I'm honestly quite happy this happened. I really hate gaming channels and how pathetic they are, "Please like & subscribe, also donate to me pretty please". It just makes my skin crawl, what a way to abuse your fan base and it just goes to show how much the masses are sheep and eat it up.

These people don't care about their fanbase. I honestly feel like if a person like Pewdiepie stopped earning money through these videos he'd stop making them. They only care about money, hence why they beg people to subscribe and donate, and also use rediculous thumbnails to get views and make a ton of money. Like how Pewdiepie plays the same 5 games over and over again while pretending to be scared for the 1000th time, then proceeds to use the most ridiculous thumbnail because he knows people will click on it.

People who actually seriously try to make a living off YouTube by doing let's plays for money probably deserve this anyways. YouTube has become so plagued with 1000s of people trying to get in on the whole "let's play" thing in an attempt to make quick and easy money. How about stop being lazy and try getting a real job? Or something more original than just being the billionth gaming channel. You could argue that game news companies are no different, except they are. Their job is to inform you on games and help make you a decision if a game is worth playing or not while also helping developers sell their games, let's players are only in it for money and take advantage of their viewers by begging, using exaggerated and misleading thumbnails, and purposely acting like you just drank 10 cans of red bull.

These people are still allowed to make these videos, they just wouldn't make any money. But that's obviously not good enough for them as they're greedy and will just resort to begging to their viewers to donate money on their website and that's probably what would happen.

I'm glad this is happening. I'm tired of these million different gaming channels trying to cash in on the success of let's plays, we'll see who the people that are left still making videos without a check and no begging, those will be the ones who truly care about their fans.

/Rant

moggio

Banned

No. He'll still have millions of views and will still be earning millions of dollars.

In fact, you'll probably be seeing much more of him as it's channels like his with huge subscriber numbers that will be immune from this shit.

Fret

I'm so glad Ghostrobo got it. I seriously hate that kid. I hate any gaming channel on YouTube that acts like a dick and uses this as a argument "Well that view you just gave me earned me money". He along with most other channels also use thumbnails that are the most likely to get views so they get more money. Way to act like a greedy ass, now it's coming back to bite them. Hell, he's already saying how if he stops making money he'll find other ways to make money. Pathetic, of course he's not exactly saying that but that's definitely what seems like he's implying.

Also, any person that says "Please like & subscribe" pretty much guarantees that I'll dislike their video and stop watching them. If people like your videos then they'll subscribe, begging just makes you look pathertic.

I'm honestly quite happy this happened. I really hate gaming channels and how pathetic they are, "Please like & subscribe, also donate to me pretty please". It just makes my skin crawl, what a way to abuse your fan base and it just goes to show how much the masses are sheep and eat it up.

These people don't care about their fanbase. I honestly feel like if a person like Pewdiepie stopped earning money through these videos he'd stop making them. They only care about money, hence why they beg people to subscribe and donate, and also use rediculous thumbnails to get views and make a ton of money. Like how Pewdiepie plays the same 5 games over and over again while pretending to be scared for the 1000th time, then proceeds to use the most ridiculous thumbnail because he knows people will click on it.

People who actually seriously try to make a living off YouTube by doing let's plays for money probably deserve this anyways. YouTube has become so plagued with 1000s of people trying to get in on the whole "let's play" thing in an attempt to make quick and easy money. How about stop being lazy and try getting a real job? Or something more original than just being the billionth gaming channel. You could argue that game news companies are no different, except they are. Their job is to inform you on games and help make you a decision if a game is worth playing or not while also helping developers sell their games, let's players are only in it for money and take advantage of their viewers by begging, using exaggerated and misleading thumbnails, and purposely acting like you just drank 10 cans of red bull.

These people are still allowed to make these videos, they just wouldn't make any money. But that's obviously not good enough for them as they're greedy and will just resort to begging to their viewers to donate money on their website and that's probably what would happen.

I'm glad this is happening. I'm tired of these million different gaming channels trying to cash in on the success of let's plays, we'll see who the people that are left still making videos without a check and no begging, those will be the ones who truly care about their fans.

/Rant

Yeah you're right, anyone who's touched YouTube is a fraud and a hack.

/s

ZackGamer

Banned

I'm so glad Ghostrobo got it. I seriously hate that kid. I hate any gaming channel on YouTube that acts like a dick and uses this as a argument "Well that view you just gave me earned me money". He along with most other channels also use thumbnails that are the most likely to get views so they get more money. Way to act like a greedy ass, now it's coming back to bite them. Hell, he's already saying how if he stops making money he'll find other ways to make money like vlogs and donatations. Pathetic, of course he's not exactly saying that but that's definitely what seems like he's implying.

/Rant

Wow.

Einbroch

Banned
Reviews and commentaries should be fine. Let's Plays, monetized, should not.

Been my opinion for a long time. I think Google is going a little nuts here, but I agree something has to be done.

Yeah you're right, anyone who's touched YouTube is a fraud and a hack.

/s

Only if they do it strictly for money and would literally stop making videos if they stopped earning money. There's plenty of gaming channels on Youtube that dont beg for subscribers and are generally cool and not annoying. While also being really respectful to their viewers. Those are the ones I respect and like, those are the ones that I don't mind if they made money that way. The ones I hate are the ones that beg and try all means necessary to get views, and put on the same act over and over again because they know it'll get them views.

Fret

Only if they do it strictly for money and would literally stop making videos if they stopped earning money. There's plenty of gaming channels on Youtube that dont beg for subscribers and are generally cool and not annoying. While also being really respectful to their viewers. Those are the ones I respect and like, those are the ones that I don't mind if they made money that way. The ones I hate are the ones that beg and try all means necessary to get views, and put on the same act over and over again because they know it'll get them views.

Would you continue to work at a job if you weren't being paid?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well done and much respect!

The devs/pubs contradict sometimes as aren't they the ones that give free games too these LP gamers instead of making them buy the game? So there ok them showcasing the game off too its best, selling it too the watchers, but not ok with them making money off it.

I can confirm even as a lower mid-tier LP'er (21k subs) I have indie developers approach me by email, PM, and the like asking if I'd be interested in doing an LP of their game, sometimes paid games, sometimes free things, and they usually supply me with a copy.

hoserx

/Rant

Step into my office........... you're fired.

Muku

/Rant

Wow. Now, while I may not like some of these folks on YouTube, I wouldn't wish them the worst. But on the side of them saying to like and subscribe... it doesn't mean you have to. I think most times it is a friendly reminder. Or gets those that maybe are more passive to think "Hey I really liked that video, maybe I will like it." Or those who like the channel to subscribe. They have everything to gain just as a reminder.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
People like to talk like you can't both do it to enjoy and do it for the money.

People think that being an entertainer is easy.

People think that keeping a filming schedule, as well as editing your own footage and readying it for upload is easy.

Most are just jealous that they didn't have the drive to do this themselves, especially when the good ones are making money off it.

There's always outliers that represent bad aspects of any thing, but the vast majority aren't.

As for Pewds and other already popular ones. They'll be fine since most of the time they're showing off new games, or playing old non-story games with friends in hilarious and silly ways. Most anyone with an audience does other cool stuff.

This will help curb some of those that are basically gameplay mills, but it will still hurt others who are legit entertainers.

So yeah, curse these people for wanting to entertain us and still make a living wage. Curse them for being friendly, and fun, and the kind of person we'd like to game with (at least on my list of subscriptions).

Top Bottom