• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive prehistoric virus unearthed from Siberia's frozen wasteland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

I think genetic evolution actually refines things to need less code thus less complexity, like efficient program code does more with less.

That's a good assumption, it makes just enough sense to be believable.

I'll stick with your answer until someone else comes in and further enlightens us :3

How likely is it that unfreezing that virus will cure cancer? I think the risk assessment should be done on that basis.

I'm under the impression that these types of tests are always done in order to gleam some sort of genetic material needed to combat modern illnesses.

The alternative is that they're doing its for the "lols"

way more

bacteriophage

Giant Virus

Sputnik

like if your gonna shitpost about giant viruses invading at least don't use bacteriophage images

People know what phage looks like. It looks cooler so that's why we use it.

Besides, if they were 200 feet tall they wouldn't be attacking bacteria, they would be eating people whole. FACE!

JC Sera

That's a good assumption, it makes just enough sense to be believable.

I'll stick with your answer until someone else comes in and further enlightens us :3

I'm under the impression that these types of tests are always done in order to gleam some sort of genetic material needed to combat modern illnesses.

The alternative is that they're doing its for the "lols"
"why study animals if it doesn't give any medical advantage"
"why study plants if it doesn't give any medcal advantage"
we study non-human/animal viruses because theres just so much shit to learn
they are really interesting

UFO

Banned
Scientists said they will reanimate a 30,000-year-old giant virus unearthed in the frozen wastelands of Siberia, and warned climate change may awaken dangerous microscopic pathogens.

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Why are they doing this?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The article quotes the faulty idea that a virus with more genes is more complex - and people naturally assume that means more sophisticated.

Geneticists are continually confounded by this problem - there are unthinking, blind worms with more genes than humans.

Genes are scary complex and the research in that field is kind of like physics in that the deeper we go, the more confusing it gets.

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Who thought this was a good idea? Why are they doing this?

would you rather they examined it in the corpses of dead Siberian kids?

So you're saying that John Carpenter's The Thing is now real.

MCREADY! THE FLAMETHROWER!

This supervirus thing sounds dangerous.

Hackworth

Any Biology majors here?

Why would these ancient viruses be more genetically complex than modern day ones, like the Influenza strain?
It's been a while since I focused on microorganisms but I'll give this a shot.

Natural selection can act as a simplifier: as I understand it, viruses are (basically) sections of larger organisms (eg RNA transcribers from inside a cell) that broke off and found a parasitic niche.
Viruses with less genes will replicate more quickly than larger ones, and may therefore be better able to hijack targeted cells (and may produce more descendants with less resources, allowing them to overwhelm more cells).

Bacteria are similar: in environments with few stresses, bacterial selection tends towards very simple and quick replicators. You get pressure to hold onto plasmids and activate secondary DNA when stresses kick in.

In 2004, US scientists resurrected the notorious "Spanish flu" virus, which killed tens of millions of people, in order to understand how the pathogen was extraordinarily so virulent.

Wording here seems to be banking on people misinterpreting it as "the US government let this awful virus loose that killed people in 2004" for clicks instead of "In 2004 the US government studied a virus which was the cause of the deadly Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918"

They kind of explain in the article. The hope is that by studying this pathogen in a controlled environment we might be able to combat its like in the future should they ever be found in the wild. Even better, they may even find ways to use it to cure/treat other forms of disease.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
3d6C1fO.gif

Toxi

Banned
Aren't giant viruses usually bacteria viruses?

As to anyone worried about this infecting humans, giant viruses can only infect amoeba.
They enter the virus by the cell engulfing them, rather than a forced entry like most other viruses, then reproducing.

They can get in the human body, but its found that they will survive macrophage engulfment, due to their particular way of cell up take. However they lie inert in the macrophage, because all their parts are design to high jack amoeba cell organs, rather than mammalian.

30,000 year old virus, especially a highly complex & big one, wouldn't be able to infect humans, due to size and high niche specificity.

(Also giant viruses can get infected by virophages and thats so cool viruses inside your viruses)
Huh. Guess I was mistaken; it wouldn't make much sense anyway for bacteria viruses to be enormous when bacteria are so small in general compared to Eukaryotes.

Spladam

Well, according to youtube, the LHC is has a good chance of opening a portal to hell bringing forth demons followed by Satan riding a black hole, so this is not all that scary.

Venture

As to anyone worried about this infecting humans, giant viruses can only infect amoeba.
They enter the virus by the cell engulfing them, rather than a forced entry like most other viruses, then reproducing.

They can get in the human body, but its found that they will survive macrophage engulfment, due to their particular way of cell up take. However they lie inert in the macrophage, because all their parts are design to high jack amoeba cell organs, rather than mammalian.

30,000 year old virus, especially a highly complex & big one, wouldn't be able to infect humans, due to size and high niche specificity.

(Also giant viruses can get infected by virophages and thats so cool viruses inside your viruses)
Yeah, and they said there's no way the dinosuars at Jurassic Park could ever breed too.

Seriously though, this is the scariest part of the article.
In 2004, US scientists resurrected the notorious "Spanish flu" virus, which killed tens of millions of people, in order to understand how the pathogen was extraordinarily so virulent.

US researchers flew to Alaska to take frozen lung tissues from a woman who was buried in permafrost.

By teasing genetic scraps out of these precious samples and from autopsy tissues stored in formalin, the team painstakingly reconstructed the code for the virus' eight genes.

The work was done in a top-security lab at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Reminds me of the beginning of The Stand.

JC Sera

Btw most spanish flu victims didn't die from the virus, but opportunistic bacterial pneumonia
so if the spanish flu was to ever comeback, it will have a much lower mortality, due to our ability to treat the fatal factor with antibiotics
(had to write an exam on this stuff)

Yleyana

Banned
Well, according to youtube, the LHC is has a good chance of opening a portal to hell bringing forth demons followed by Satan riding a black hole, so this is not all that scary.

I thought that was the universe we were already living in and the LHC was our only chance at opening a gateway to heaven.

Venture

Btw most spanish flu victims didn't die from the virus, but opportunistic bacterial pneumonia
so if the spanish flu was to ever comeback, it will have a much lower mortality, due to our ability to treat the fatal factor with antibiotics
(had to write an exam on this stuff)
That's a bit less scary. Thanks for dropping some knowledge in here.

akira28

hell-chicks are pretty hot, so this could be a good/bad thing. you know? Personally I support immigration.

orochi91

It's been a while since I focused on microorganisms but I'll give this a shot.

Natural selection can act as a simplifier: as I understand it, viruses are (basically) sections of larger organisms (eg RNA transcribers from inside a cell) that broke off and found a parasitic niche.
Viruses with less genes will replicate more quickly than larger ones, and may therefore be better able to hijack targeted cells (and may produce more descendants with less resources, allowing them to overwhelm more cells).

Bacteria are similar: in environments with few stresses, bacterial selection tends towards very simple and quick replicators. You get pressure to hold onto plasmids and activate secondary DNA when stresses kick in.

This is the post I've been waiting for; thanks for the input, Hackworth.

What kind of environment do you think would stress these ancient viruses enough to develop hundreds (and thousands) of genes, versus the simple genetic composition of modern viruses?

MIlitary has like 10 F-35 F-16s with enough bombs to go scorched earth if they even feel like something is wrong.

RIP researchers, you brought this on yourself.

#MakeTheCallObama

Africanus

Even allowing the possibility that such a virus could wreak havoc upon mankind, is it not better to learn about it in advance before climate change melts many perma-frost locations?

I would rather have experienced scientists than unaware scientists because some people knew how to quote Jurassic Park.

Hackworth

This is the post I've been waiting for; thanks for the input, Hackworth.

What kind of environment do you think would stress these ancient viruses enough to develop hundreds (and thousands) of genes, versus the simple genetic composition of modern viruses?
Idk, sorry.
An earlier post (here, thanks JC) mentioned that giant viruses have a different infection vector and target to the plant and animal viruses I studied.
As a result, it might just be a lack of pressure to slim down meaning they stay relatively huge. I mean, standard small viruses are basically RNA injectors, but giant ones aren't apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom