• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive prehistoric virus unearthed from Siberia's frozen wasteland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Sera

This is the post I've been waiting for; thanks for the input, Hackworth.

What kind of environment do you think would stress these ancient viruses enough to develop hundreds (and thousands) of genes, versus the simple genetic composition of modern viruses?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4083134/#__sec4title
Heres a couple of examples of what that large genome codes for

also I was wrong giant/mimiviruses being benign to humans
they have been linked to pneumonia in humans, apparently giant-virus infected amoeba (which can cause pneumonia) are resistant to disinfectant and are found everywhere, and can be pathogenic

Az987

all good things
Screw it, if all these viruses are in the ice it's only a matter of time until we wake them up anyway. Inject me with it so I can be immune. I'm pretty sure that's how that works.

Hackworth

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4083134/#__sec4title
Heres a couple of examples of what that large genome codes for
Yo, thanks for this. It's been so long since I did viral stuff I didn't know where to start looking.

also I was wrong giant/mimiviruses being benign to humans
they have been linked to pneumonia in humans, apparently giant-virus infected amoeba (which can cause pneumonia) are resistant to disinfectant and are found everywhere, and can be pathogenic
Aw shit.
If that's an inherent resistance because of structure and not a relatively recently evolved one this reanimation could get dodgy.
At least they'll probably be working on it in an isolated high-biosecurity lab so it'll probably be fine.

BlackOil.png

Spladam

If it needs to. I will begin my name change processing early next month, then be defecting/emigrating asap.

image.php

I'm thinking KGB.

You look deadly, but's that's probably just your OLD identity.

I sure hope this is not some Leon Kennedy with one pistol kind of thing. Try to bring both RED and GREEN herbs with you, don't count on them being on site.

Please let this virus cure the common cold.... That also turns people into zombies. I've seen too many movies to know what's going to happen next.

Yleyana

Banned
image.php

I'm thinking KGB.

You look deadly, but's that's probably just your OLD identity.

I sure hope this is not some Leon Kennedy with one pistol kind of thing. Try to bring both RED and GREEN herbs with you, don't count on them being on site.

I'm dead serious. Some things get more dangerous with time, some less.

Spladam

We actually don't know what's in the ice, so caution should always be advised.

What's in the ice? I'm thinking some 90 million year old microbe that living creatures no longer have ant-bodies for and is air borne. It's why Hydraulic Fracturing rigs pump hundreds of gallons of high power antibiotics and sterilizing agents (for real) into the solution, to kill possible microbes that might have been trapped in the deep layer rocks.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A good chunk of the scientific community reminds me of Bart Simpson touching the cupcake.

JC Sera

What's in the ice? I'm thinking some 90 million year old microbe that living creatures no longer have ant-bodies for and is air borne. It's why Hydraulic Fracturing rigs pump hundreds of gallons of high power antibiotics and sterilizing agents (for real) into the solution, to kill possible microbes that might have been trapped in the deep layer rocks.
for fucks sake
1) Your antibodies are not inherited. I repeat they are not inherited.
2) Your antibodies are all randomly generated. The human *adaptive immune system is one whole gambit of "I will randomly generate one antibody that will bind to one antigen that is a part of a pathogen" and plays the game by creating millions of outputs
3) You can lose immunity to an organism you are immune time in your own life time. Its natural.
4) When it comes to viruses they are really niche in hosts, a couple of centuries of genetic drift alone can potentially put them out of their game

people really need to stop going microbe=pathogen
or even opportunistic pathogen = true pathogen
the only microbes that are obligate pathogens as an entire kingdom are viruses and antibiotics wouldn't even work against those.

Those microbes are important, if we tried to wipe out every microbe we find in a weird environment, we wouldn't have taq for DNA polymerization today.

Ayt

Banned
A good chunk of the scientific community reminds me of Bart Simpson touching the cupcake.

It isn't their fault these things are being unearthed. Would you rather industry moves in without having any idea of what they might be dealing with?

Spladam

for fucks sake
1) Your antibodies are not inherited. I repeat they are not inherited.
2) Your antibodies are all randomly generated. The human immune system is one whole gambit of "I will randomly generate one antibody that will bind to one antigen that is a part of a pathogen" and plays the game by creating millions of outputs
3) You can lose immunity to an organism you are immune time in your own life time. Its natural.
4) When it comes to viruses they are really niche in hosts, a couple of centuries of genetic drift alone can potentially put them out of their game

people really need to stop going microbe=pathogen
or even opportunistic pathogen = true pathogen
the only microbes that are obligate pathogens as an entire kingdom are viruses and antibiotics wouldn't even work against those.

Those microbes are important, if we tried to wipe out every microbe we find in a weird environment, we wouldn't have taq for DNA polymerization today.

Ok, relax JC, I have no hate for the pathogens. Thanks for all the info though.

JC Sera

Ok, relax JC, I have no hate for the pathogens. Thanks for all the info though.
Sorry, its just this is my area of study, and all the paranoia & misinformation fucks us over a lot. People are worried about scientists "playing god" with spanish flu & ancient microbes
when the real problems are at home and mundane such as MDR-TB & MDR-gonorrhoea is constantly on the rise, and antibiotics are still over prescribed.

Oh and anti-vaxxers, with first cases of polio in decades in eradicated areas are cropping up over the last two years.
Also whooping cough.

Sorry, its just this is my area of study, and all the paranoia & misinformation fucks us over a lot. People are worried about scientists "playing god" with spanish flu & ancient microbes
when the real problems are at home and mundane such as MDR-TB & MDR-gonorrhoea is constantly on the rise, and antibiotics are still over prescribed.

Oh and anti-vaxxers, with first cases of polio in decades in eradicated areas are cropping up over the last two years.
Also whooping cough.

I'm pretty sure most people on this thread is kidding. I appreciate you dropping science tho.

This thread did remind me of Contagion and what a fantastic film it is.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Water will keep running
Rivers will turn
Water will keep running
Rivers will turn

Spladam

Water will keep running
Rivers will turn
Water will keep running
Rivers will turn

For the sake of the reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzfg8ziVInI

So how can I ever find
What I’m looking for
When it’s been frozen
Stuck at the horizon

The wind blows from north to south
But I’m still where I was
Keep taking some shirts on
And taking them off

Peeling off the layers
Peeling it off
Peeling off the layers
Peeling it off

I wish I could find a cure
And to know my disease
But like nothing is certain
The circle will form a line

It's been a while since I focused on microorganisms but I'll give this a shot.

Natural selection can act as a simplifier: as I understand it, viruses are (basically) sections of larger organisms (eg RNA transcribers from inside a cell) that broke off and found a parasitic niche.
Viruses with less genes will replicate more quickly than larger ones, and may therefore be better able to hijack targeted cells (and may produce more descendants with less resources, allowing them to overwhelm more cells).

Bacteria are similar: in environments with few stresses, bacterial selection tends towards very simple and quick replicators. You get pressure to hold onto plasmids and activate secondary DNA when stresses kick in.

This was my thought as well. Isn't it telling that viruses over time have been selected to be simpler?

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
"I thought you'd post this link OP. You were the only one who could have gotten to that blood, we'll do you last"

I saw on a documentary once that viruses probably evolved concurrently with single celled organism and that one or the other spawned or helped spawned the other,especially complex cells. Of course, that is just one theory of viral origins but the existence of larger and complex viruses definitely supports this theory.

Viruses are fascinating to me. Most of them cannot multiply without a host cell and apparently many of our genes and many living beings' genes were given to us by viruses. We are in, essence, are a combo of virus genes from my basic understanding of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom