• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive talks The Division [story, DLC, customization, is it really MMO?]

Story
“There are a couple of different layers,” Rundqvist explained. “There is an overarching story line that, as one of the last functioning agencies, you need to set out to solve the mysteries behind the man-made virus. Who was behind it? Who distributed it? How can we cure it? All that stuff. And of course, to do so, you need to first of all survive in this chaos where everyone is fighting for the same resources that’s still out there. And you have all the government services shutting down one by one, because people simply don’t show up for work anymore, right? It’s both helping who is left out there and of course going after the big bad guy, you know, the mystery behind the virus.”

Still not really a technically defined linear narrative
“The structure that we built for the game so far is that there is a story, but it’s not a linear story,” said Rundqvist. “So you need to explore the world and pick out pieces and bricks of the story everywhere. And on the way, doing that, you will also encounter other content and other dynamic encounters and missions. Obviously, if you play with other real players, that’s dynamic in itself. You never know how that will play out. “We designed the game to be endless gameplay. It’s hundreds, if not thousands of hours of gameplay that we hope people will enjoy.”

DLC
Rundqvist even hinted at the possibility of DLC, or expansions for The Division to keep things going: “The game is based in New York now,” he said, “but if there’s demand, we’re going to keep on building.”

So is it an MMO?
Even when I broached the subject with Mannerfelt and Rundqvist, they were careful to avoid the “massive” part of the term. “This game, at its core, is a multiplayer online game,” said Mannerfelt. “It’s based on online and grouping. You can play with your friends and play with a lot of other people. You can, of course, play by yourself and play all the story stuff by yourself and as I said, seamlessly with your friends and seamlessly into PvP if you feel like playing PvP. In the PvP areas you will meet many, many other players.”

Customizing your character
“When you start the game you’re actually asked to pick a background,” said Rundqvist. “The Division is an agency that’s a combination of disciplines that would be useful in this scenario – engineer, military, law enforcement, intel, medical… stuff like that. As you progress into the game world, you define your own play style so it’s not a typical class-based game. You upgrade your skills and talents and you customize your weapons, the looks of your character. And you can respec right away in the middle of the game. You can continue to develop your play style. Whatever fantasy you want to pursue, it’s up to you.”

Thanks VG247

Seanspeed

Banned
I've only seen like one tiny little area of the game and I'm already drooling over the prospect of a whole new area to play in. lol

dezzy8

I just hope that Ubisoft doesn't try to nickel and dime the players with EA-like DLC. I get more hyped for this game every time I watch he gameplay trailer.

AndyD

aka andydumi
We designed the game to be endless gameplay. It’s hundreds, if not thousands of hours of gameplay that we hope people will enjoy

I hope this means it will be supported with DLC and large expansions to the same game, rather than annual sequels that are essentially expansions.

GlamFM

Banned
I´m still convinced everything we´ve seen so far was more or less fake. "The WatchDog effect".

Curious to see if it still looks like it did next time we see it.

Burt

So is it content-based or systems-based? The article kinda teeters between the two. He says endless gameplay, but he also talks about set missions and a limit (albeit a high one) on the hours of gameplay available, as well as the necessity of expansions for lengthening that.

btkadams

this game really does sound great. i'm trying to keep my hype in check though, since it's probably far away from releasing.

Allforce

I´m still convinced everything we´ve seen so far was more or less fake. "The WatchDog effect".

Curious to see if it still looks like it did next time we see it.

What have they shown that was fake about Watch Dogs? All the preview vids I've seen have been pure gameplay footage.

GlamFM

Banned
What have they shown that was fake about Watch Dogs? All the preview vids I've seen have been pure gameplay footage.

Re-watch the WatchDogs reveal from 2012 and compare it with the latest trailers.

Re-watch the FarCry 3 reveal and compare it with the actual game.

You will probably see a pattern.

Harp

I agree, Watch dogs looks the same they have always said the game was open world. Why are people so suprise that it plays like an open world game?

Re-watch the WatchDogs reveal from 2012 and compare it with the latest trailers.

The 2012 Watch Dogs gameplay was a story mission (that is still in the game). They've been showing us gameplay outside of story missions. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Harp

The original showing was a set piece, it was very focused. What they have been showing lately is more of the open world game play. Watch dog was always going to be assassins creed in a modern world with hacking replacing climbing. And I dont see anything wrong with that.

Also it a cross generational game. There were not going to make two different games between cur-gen and next-gen. What your going to see is what most PC players have been experiance for years a 360/ps3 game with better Resolution and textures and hopefully a higher frame rate. The experiance will be the same on all platforms.

GlamFM

Banned
The original showing was a set piece, it was very focused. What they have been showing lately is more of the open world game play. Watch dog was always going to be assassins creed in a modern world with hacking replacing climbing. And I dont see anything wrong with that.

Also it a cross generational game. There were not going to make two different games between cur-gen and next-gen. What your going to see is what most PC players have been experiance for years a 360/ps3 game with better Resolution and textures and hopefully a higher frame rate. The experiance will be the same on all platforms.

It´s really more than that.

It´s how Ubisoft operates. I´m just saying we should be very cautious with Ubi "gameplay"...

Nice thread for you:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504792

So do you feel that the game wont be good? Because Far Cry 3 was a pretty good game.

Now don´t be complicated. I never said that.

No, he's saying the final game won't look as good as that "gameplay trailer".

Ive grown accustomed to taking everything with a grain of salt from Ubisoft. They have a way.. of making every trailer better than the game experience and when I buy the game, Im left being bored by it. So much so, it becomes a chore to get through.

Well, we'll see when the game comes out, won't we? I'm a believer, myself. The only real question mark is how each game turns out on the different platforms.

GlamFM

Banned
Ive grown accustomed to taking everything with a grain of salt from Ubisoft. They have a way.. of making every trailer better than the game experience and when I buy the game, Im left being bored by it. So much so, it becomes a chore to get through.

Yup. I think this is one of the reasons why the press loved Titanfall. It was the most honest WYSIWYG presentation.

Harp

Yup. I think this is one of the reasons why the press loved Titanfall. It was the most honest WYSIWYG presentation.

Well it is using an 8 year old engine. Titanfall looks cool but it just a series of multiplayer maps. I get the feeling its going to be call of duty with mechs. Not saying that is a bad thing. Just not expecting alot of innovation.

Pejo

So glad to hear it's not MMO only. If I'm picking out the right parts and its drop in/drop out co-op with friends, I could see myself putting a ton of time into this game.

Here's almsot the only game that impressed me next gen wise this E3.
Graphics couldn't have been done this gen and the always connected thing is well used.

I'm just sad that I most all the time don't really like to play online with people I don't know :
- for me it's less fun than to play with friends
- you meet a lot of stupid people

If it's possible to play the whole game like we've seen in the gameplay demo but in coop with a friend at your house or if I can form a 4 player team and continue to play with sort of a bot if we're only three available this would be perfect. But not knowing and playing a lot of online games I'm not sure this is possible or this is what the most appealing people are wanting.

I sure will play it as soon as I get a PS4.

Deviation

Neo Member
So is this game, similar to Destiny, less of the MMO it was originally perceived to be and actually a more expanded and mature take on the Borderlands model?

Both of these games look like two studios trying to build a bigger, better Borderlands, IMO. Emphasis on co-op, loot driven shooting, and more polished looking gameplay. The only different thing is common to both of them, and that's the larger 'events' that take place where more players can show up.

Personally, I find this idea to be very, very exciting.

Top Bottom