• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master System games coming to VC

jarrod said:
Monster Land, Golvellius, Zillion and (non-smeary) Dragon's Curse plz!

I wonder how long until we get Sega CD and 32X?
32X definitely seems possible. I would love to get Tempo, Virtua Racer, Virtua Fighter and Chaotix (and Doom).

jarrod said:
Monster Land, Golvellius, Zillion and (non-smeary) Dragon's Curse plz!
Dragon's Curse...that game haunts my childhood memories never understood it never finished and that damn gipsy bitch wouldn't accept my gold to rez me.

Jme

This is awesome news. Maybe now we can get the graphically superior versions of many classic games. It's really a shame the Master System wasn't more popular in America, if it shared similar sales figures as the NES it would have had a much richer library. See for example these games side by side:

2cqif0n.jpg

25fkjk7.jpg

1z4va6e.jpg

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
With games coming out at a rate of 2 per week... get comfy. It'll be a while.
I dunno, in just over a year, they've already almost doubled their number of VC platforms (from 6 to 10). MCD/32X really seem like they'd be next in line for 2008 (along with maybe 64DD).

Saturn + Wii HDD in 2009/2010 plz! :lol

jarrod

Banned
Did you really expect something other than 500-600 points though? Should SEGA be charging less than NES for their 8bit stuff?

I'm actually a bit curious what happened to MSX? Mark I/II/III were basically computer formats in Japan too... maybe SEGA bumped D4? Then will we ever see other formats like fm7, PC88/98, FM Towns or the mighty X68000?

jarrod said:
Did you really expect something other than 500-600 points though? Should SEGA be charging less than NES for their 8bit stuff?
Yes.

There's practically no audience for MS games in places like the US unless they're games that got ported to Game Gear. If you release them for, say, $3, you'd get way more people to download.

But then again, what do I know - I've always thought VC pricing should be 2-5-8.

jarrod

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Yes.

There's practically no audience for MS games in places like the US unless they're games that got ported to Game Gear. If you release them for, say, $3, you'd get way more people to download.

But then again, what do I know - I've always thought VC pricing should be 2-5-8.
Worth mentioning that these are JP price points, though I'd expect them to stick for the west.

And SMS stuff was generally on par or better (at least visually) than NES era games... who cares if it wasn't as popular? I'll gladly pay $5 for Zillion... it's a better deal than $5 for Metroid imo. :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The Master System was a blast in Brazil. I loved that console.

I guess that news from some time ago that California Games would be coming for the Wii will be a port instead of some sort of remake then.

PedroRVD

oh wow!!! Master System!! I still have this console and my only 3 games ever....Alex Kidd, Golvellius and Action Fighter....I was so lucky, my father gave me 3 of the very best games of MS.

I would pay 1000 points for Alex Kidd or Golvellius!

One question....was a sequel of Golvellius ever released on the system?

thats one black hole I have in my videogaming life.

I would truly appreciate your info.

Excuse me if you dont understand me....I speak spanish...

Burai

shitonmychest57
Donkey Thong said:
THIS is a brilliant little game. Makes me regret I already bought the blur-o-matic Dragon's Curse on VC.

I'd take smear-o-vision over the reduced pallette and Master System sound.

bryehn

Zillion II: The Tri-Formation PLEASE!!!

also, Quartet, All Wonder Boy, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, All Fantasy Zone, and maybe some Alex Kidd.

OH, AND FUGGIN' TRANS-BOT!

Love me some Trans-Bot. I got it with my Master System in 86. My first home SHMUP. I think it ended up being the only card-based game I had...still not sure what the deal with those was.

trans-bot-(card).jpg

seems there's no screens of this epic, universe saving shooter.

DuMaurier

No one's mentioned Quartet. I freaking loved that game. It was the first game I ever finished - and then for more of a challenge I'd start a two player game and kill Mary so I'd have to finish with Edgar and the much higher level-ups. I still remember freaking out the first time I found the hidden rooms and Level 2 and 3 that were filled with high-point enemies.

I freaking need Quartet on my Wii.

All the Wonder Boy and Alex Kidd games would be nice as well.

And Great Baseball, I still get the home run jingle stuck in my head when I'm watching a game on tv.

stuminus3

Banned
Hell yeah! The Master System was my first video game console... being European, all my video gaming had previously been done on home computer systems (Commodore Vic-20 was my first, then ZX Spectrum, then Atari ST, my parents wouldn't buy me an Atari 2600 of my own so I had to play friends)...

I lucked out with it, a guy my Dad worked with had an alcoholic brother who really needed cash so he sold us a Master System with about 20 games, light phaser, and those crappy 3D glasses, for 20 quid (!). Looking back now, it was kind of nasty to take advantage of the situation, but at the time for me it was awesome. This was before the Sonicification of Sega, too. Good times.

I sold the lot to buy an NES a couple of years later, damn Super Mario Bros. 3. Haha.

I was desperate for Master System on VC when the Wii launched purely for Wonder Boy III, sort of a moot point now as the (arguably) superior TG-16 port - Dragon's Curse came along instead. There are far too many shitty ports of arcade and Genesis games, too... I may have played the port of Golden Axe for hour upon hour back in the day, but looking back even as a cut-back port it's actually dreadful. Still, there's a whole bunch of gems to look forward to, can't wait!

My wish - for a Wiimote-enabled release of Gangster Town!

Fantasy Zone! YES! :D

Hopefully this means Fantasy Zone II (SMS) and Super Fantasy Zone (MegaDrive) are being readied for VC release as well. :D

cvxfreak

Pretty cool. I was actually wondering back when the Wii launched why this system wasn't part on the VC. I guess it was to give the MD some breathing room for the first year or something.

bryehn

DuMaurier said:
No one's mentioned Quartet. I freaking loved that game. It was the first game I ever finished - and then for more of a challenge I'd start a two player game and kill Mary so I'd have to finish with Edgar and the much higher level-ups. I still remember freaking out the first time I found the hidden rooms and Level 2 and 3 that were filled with high-point enemies.

I freaking need Quartet on my Wii.

All the Wonder Boy and Alex Kidd games would be nice as well.

And Great Baseball, I still get the home run jingle stuck in my head when I'm watching a game on tv.

I actually did in the post above you. Quartet was so awesomely awesome and cool. I remember getting to a weird sound test screen once, and i didn't want to turn off the system cause I never knew how to get back to it :p

I think it was the second game I finished, Wonder Boy being the first. Also, The Justified ancients of Mu Mu were fuck-awesome.

Crushed said:

Nice find. That (not an) AT-ST in that first underground level game me hell the first few times I saw it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I am praying that we get Defenders of Oasis on GG for the thing! And of course Phantasy Star, but that's pretty much the most obvious game to bring to the system.

I still have my SMS hooked up and play it regularly, but this is awesome.

defendersoasis04.gif
defendersoasis08.gif
defendersoasis10.gif
defendersoasis18.gif
defendersoasis19.gif

meppi

Woohoo, Wonder Boy!!! :)

There are quite a few gems for the system, many of which are not so well known.

Perhaps we'll see Master Of Darkness appear on the VC, it's more or less a Castlevania clone. I loved it back in the day. Been many years since I last played it.
sms-07107.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I wonder how many other game systems are going to be added to the Virtual Console by the end of its life? We've already had a bunch added in its first year.

batbeg

Dude, there are some awesome looking games for this system. I barely ever heard of it until recent years, but it looks like I may get a chance at it with the VC - even if the prices sound heavy to a lot of people.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cloud Master please.

I actually owned a SMS, then my dad fried it by plugging the SNES power cord into it one day :(

Tain

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap

I've heard people with very good taste call this the best game of the 8-bit generation, and from what I've played, I can see where they're coming from.

I've got the Sega Ages release, but this could still use a VC release.

Wow. I had no idea how thoroughly the SMS fucked up the NES on graphics.

Great announcement, though as usual it's kind of muted by (a) the anemic VC release schedule, (b) the lack of external storage solutions, and (c) the unfriendly pricing scheme.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Why oh why must you continue to rape my wallet, Nintendo! I beg for mercy!

The SMS was my 2nd game system (after the 2600), but it still to this day remains my favorite, probably because I had it for so long until I finally got a NES. I had 37 games for it, most of which I still have to this day. In fact I still have the original box for the SMS and everything, though the styrofoam inside it is starting to breakdown.

In addition to everything that's been mentioned, here's hoping we get some Miracle Warriors love.

2q3n585.png

30mv9dy.png

Big Nate said:
Why oh why must you continue to rape my wallet, Nintendo! I beg for mercy!

The SMS was my 2nd game system (after the 2600), but it still to this day remains my favorite, probably because I had it for so long until I finally got a NES. I had 37 games for it, most of which I still have to this day. In fact I still have the original box for the SMS and everything, though the styrofoam inside it is starting to breakdown.

In addition to everything that's been mentioned, here's hoping we get some Miracle Warriors love.

2q3n585.png

30mv9dy.png
Heh. I pretty much mirror your console beginnings. My first console was also the 2600, then the SMS. I didn't even get an NES until SNES was released. I still have my SMS, too, with about 20 games, including the lightgun, 3D glasses, and joystick.

Miracle Warriors was my favorite game on the system, even over Phantasy Star. The collective Wonder Boy games came in second. I remember Miracle Warriors having an incredibly tough early game. You "HAD" to grind within a few squares of the first heal point, in order to progress. Even then, within that first section of the game, you still had to cherrypick which enemies you fought, namely the Evil Merchants.

Walshicus

Big Nate said:

2q3n585.png

30mv9dy.png

I played that SO much as a kid. I've actually got a half-way complete RPG-Maker XP version of the world map on my computer - made each square far larger and built the towns into the world map rather than as separate zones. Might do some more for it later in the week.

iidesuyo

sinnergy said:
Must have been playing with my Gameboy then :lol Only thing I saw in the stores here in The Netherlands was NES.

In Germany, one of the larger store chains (Quelle) supported it for quite some time... Master System II + games for less than (what are today) 50€. I remember it being sold next to the Playstation.

George Claw M.D. said:
Miracle Warriors was my favorite game on the system, even over Phantasy Star. The collective Wonder Boy games came in second. I remember Miracle Warriors having an incredibly tough early game. You "HAD" to grind within a few squares of the first heal point, in order to progress. Even then, within that first section of the game, you still had to cherrypick which enemies you fought, namely the Evil Merchants.

I never had phantasy star as a kid but I did have Miracle Warriors, my first RPG ever and my god did I sink the hours into it. It still bugs me to this day that I somehow figured out at the age of 7 how to get all the companions, the ships, had hugely levelled characters, sea dragons were my bitches, I wandered the deserts with impunity but I never figured out the final riddles. Was something like 12 steps this way, 9 that way.. blah. I must've tried for months and months before giving up. Did anyone manage it legitimately?

Burai

shitonmychest57
PepsimanVsJoe said:
The Master System version of Dragon's Curse also runs at half the framerate of the TG16 version.

So yeah I'll deal with the smeared look.

It's not really that bad, either. Not like some of those monstrosities in that emulation filter thread.

It's either VC filtered look for £4.50 or buying a real PCEngine and HuCard for about £100 and running it through composite.

Top Bottom