• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master System games coming to VC

Jonnyram

Thought it needed its own thread as a lot of people don't visit the VC megathread.
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0801/25/news075.html

From February, Sega will be putting Master System games on the Wii Virtual Console.
Starting off with Fist of the North Star for 600pts and Fantasy Zone for 500pts.

Sega Mk III and GameGear games will also be distributed underneath the Master System VC. The games are also planned to be distributed in US and Europe.

Andy787

Banned
I really like this news, but, fuck, 5-600 points? Really? :/

Man, I love the concept of the VC, but the pricing is just fucking stupid. Sony gives us PSone titles for the same price as Nintendo charges for MASTER SYSTEM games. Christ.

I'd love to try out some of the titles I missed, having never owned a Master System, but at those prices I'll probably try very few. :(

GameGear, too, eh? Surprising, considering the resolution is blown up and pixelated.

All right, let's see those wishlists, people!

I want:

Zillion
Phantasy Star
Sonic 1
R-Type(better in some ways than the TG16 version)
Rambo(fat chance)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Power Strike

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Too expensive, but their are actually a good amount of titles that I would pay that much for...I just can't imagine many other people that would.

Jiggy

SonicMegaDrive said:
Agreed. By the time I wake up tomorrow and this thread has grown, I'm expecting/hoping that just like the TG16 CD and Neo Geo threads, I'll be able to go looking through everybody's lists, searching for the games on YouTube, and identifying at least half a dozen games I never knew I wanted.
These sorts of threads are a rare place where I can legitimately say that list wars help me out.

SonicMegaDrive said:
GameGear, too, eh? Surprising, considering the resolution is blown up and pixelated.

I want:

Zillion
Phantasy Star
Sonic 1
R-Type(better in some ways than the TG16 version)
Rambo(fat chance)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Power Strike

Isn`t the gamegear 100% identical to the MS though? (Including resolution) so why would it be surprising?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
As long as turds that I hated as a kid like Ghost House and Spy vs. Spy don't come to VC over gems like Alex Kidd in Miracle World, RC Grand Prix, Phantasy Star, Ys The Vanished Omens, R-Type, Castle of Illusion, Action Fighter (taught me my ABC's!), California Games, Choplifter, Ghostbusters, Lord of the Sword, Miracle Warriors, all of the Wonderboy games, especially II and III, and the Zillion games. At least those are the games I LOVED as a kid and would pay real money for them.

No Genny ports and preferably nothing also available on the NES unless the superior version is on the SMS.

and no, Game Gear was not the same as the SMS, many more onscreen colors, for one.

sinnergy

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yes, very.

It was even more popular than the NES in many countries.

Must have been playing with my Gameboy then :lol Only thing I saw in the stores here in The Netherlands was NES.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Isn`t the gamegear 100% identical to the MS though? (Including resolution) so why would it be surprising?

Yes, but not quite. Most GameGear games were designed to be on a small screen, and often the pixels are more 'close up'.

For example, when playing Sonic 1 for the Master System, the character sprites are further away, and you can see more of your surroundings. However, on the GG version, they blew it up larger so that you can see the sprites more clearly.

Though, the GameGear is actually technically superior to the MS, as it has a much higher color palette.

MS could only display 64 colors, while the GG could choose from 4,096.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Andy787 said:

Man, I love the concept of the VC, but the pricing is just fucking stupid. Sony gives us PSone titles for the same price as Nintendo charges for MASTER SYSTEM games. Christ.

I'd love to try out some of the titles I missed, having never owned a Master System, but at those prices I'll probably try very few. :(
I guess its the only way for Nintendo to get these compaines on the VC, and there is also the fact that Nintendo are greedy little bastards. I still buy them though, I can't resist :(

Lee N

Membre
TheGreatDave said:
Shitty pricing. Greedy evil Sega gets none of my money.
Clearly, you're the one who's greedy - wanting everything for free. $5 is fair for a good game.

I hope they release Phantasy Star soon (I know Phantasy Star 2 is confirmed for the japanese market already).

maladroid

My first console. I only had 4 games, and I can only remember playing California Games.
Man, I hated that game.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
To be sure, half of California Games was absolutely terrible and nigh-unplayable, but the footbag and surfing parts were awesome :)

Jiggy

Andy787 said:
5-600 points? Really? :/

Man, I love the concept of the VC, but the pricing is just fucking stupid. Sony gives us PSone titles for the same price as Nintendo charges for MASTER SYSTEM games.
Windu said:
I guess its the only way for Nintendo to get these compaines on the VC[...]
I never thought about it before, but Windu's probably right on this one. There's probably a reason VC has practically 200 games up while there aren't nearly as many retro titles on PSN or XBLA, and the reason is probably exactly that...
That said, these two-game weeks lately are cheesing me off. :/ (Even though they've had some great games, it's the principle of the thing.) I hope Nintendo's not running into trouble pulling in outside support suddenly.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yes, very.

It was even more popular than the NES in many countries.

Yeah, SMS was pretty bloody huge here in Australia. At my school, owning a NES meant you were the odd one out. And you'd get laughed out of the country, right into New Zealand, where the NES barely even existed. Where to from there? It was a mystery. Anyway this is fucking awesome news. <3 I love my SMS, but hooking it up these days is such a pain in the arse. Bring on Teddy Boy, Sonic 2 (not the shitty GG one!), Zillion, Dynamite Dux and Psycho Fox!

Also I wonder what the hell's going to happen to the Snail Game? Are they going to charge for that? ='(

Odrion

Banned
Allow Gamegear playability on the DS. ;)

Also I wonder what the hell's going to happen to the Snail Game? Are they going to charge for that? ='(
Releasing that for free on the VC would be really damn cool.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No offense but after seeing the price scheme here I am glad I use other methods (Gametap if you must know) to get my classic Sega fix.

Some screenies.

Phantasy Star - 1987 - RPG
Phantasy_Star_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Phantasy_Star_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Golden Axe Warrior - 1991 - Action/RPG(Zelda Clone)
Golden_Axe_Warrior_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Golden_Axe_Warrior_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Zillion - 1987 - Adventure/Platforming(Sort of like Metroid)
Zillion_SMS_ScreenShot1.gif
Zillion_SMS_ScreenShot2.gif

Sonic the Hedgehog - 1991 - Platforming
Sonic_The_Hedgehog_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Sonic_The_Hedgehog_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Alex Kidd in Miracle World - 1986 - Platforming
Alex_Kidd_in_Miracle_World_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Alex_Kidd_in_Miracle_World_SMS_ScreenShot2.gif

Wonder Boy - 1986 - Platforming
Wonder_Boy_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Wonder_Boy_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Power Strike
- 1988 - Vertical Sh'mup
Power_Strike_SMS_ScreenShot1.gif
Power_Strike_SMS_ScreenShot2.gif

Fantasy Zone - 1986 - Horizontal Sh'mup
Fantasy_Zone_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Fantasy_Zone_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Golvellius - Valley of Doom - 1988 - Action/RPG
Golvellius_SMS_ScreenShot1.gif
Golvellius_SMS_ScreenShot2.gif

R-Type - 1988 - Horizontal Sh'mup
R-Type_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
R-Type_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Shinobi - 1987 - Action/Platforming
Shinobi_SMS_ScreenShot1.jpg
Shinobi_SMS_ScreenShot2.jpg

Andy787 said:

Cosigned to the MAX!
If the prices were halved it would be a heckava deal and a highly tempting purchase for any decent enough game, as is now, its just impractical.

TJ Spyke

fresquito said:
What's Mk III?

Japanese version of the Master System (like how the Famicom is the Japanese name of the NES). The only real difference other than cosmetic changes was a built in Yamaha YM2413 FM sound chip (it had been optional in the Mark III) and a Rapid Fire unit. More info on the Sega SG-1000 Mark III:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_SG-1000_Mark_III

So it's really just the Master System and Game Gear being added, the Mark III is not a different system.

Game Gear games too. Wow. Maybe they'll localize Sylvan Tale.

Hahahahahahahaha
:(

batbeg said:
:O I want it! I wants it now!

And when he says Zelda clone, he means it. It's the most blatant ripoff of the original game imaginable. Which means it's fun to play.

Top Bottom