• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Math is Racist!!!

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018

Two plus two may equal four, but if the student says five, you better not correct them, oppressor! Math, in Seattle schools, will become a social justice course. But that’s not all. The U.S. government will be posited as a racist institution that must be destroyed. If this is taught to students, it’s indoctrination at its most destructive.

An Ethnic Studies Advisory Committee (ESAC), under the Seattle Public Schools Superintendent, published a preliminary Math Ethnic Studies framework document populated by district representatives that explains math as a racist study used to oppress students — and if you correct a student’s faulty math logic, you’re guilty.

The framework, created by various statewide districts, tackles four themes, including Power and Oppression and History of Resistance and Liberation.

At its core, the belief seems to be that “western” math is viewed as the only “legitimate expression” of math identity and that it’s used to “disenfranchise people and communities of color” and, consequently, it “erases the historical contributions of people and communities of color.”

Apparently, math is now subjective. Who are you to insist two plus two equals four? It goes on to ask “Who is Smart? Who is not Smart?” Answer: the person who says two plus two equals five is not yet smart and should be corrected, even if you think it oppresses them.

Math is literally the only subject that is 100% objective. This is beyond clown world.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Fucken white people at it again.
its actually a hispanic math "educator" that is behind this.

Rochelle Gutierrez

She started the whole blacks and hispanics don't do as well in maths as whites and asians so the problem has to be the subject....

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Go for it Seattle. The terrible education system means I can coast my way through easy careers surrounded by brainlets with a piece of paper signed to their name. Competing against kids who identified as math-educated when I'm in my 50s sounds like a fun way to sail into retirement while laughing.
no it means more workload for you while shanique gets all the credit and becomes your boss. but in salary negotiations you are golden can pretty much ask for whatever you want.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
no it means more workload for you while shanique gets all the credit and becomes your boss. but in salary negotiations you are golden can pretty much ask for whatever you want.
Good luck with that patriarchal oppressor tool known as "salary negotiations" when the government mandates that men and women have to be paid the same.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Idiots get the credit anyway. Our modern educational problems didn't cause that. However, my industry also has high turnover, so thankfully those idiots cannot last very long until it affects the bottom line.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
its actually a hispanic math "educator" that is behind this.

Rochelle Gutierrez

She started the whole blacks and hispanics don't do as well in maths as whites and asians so the problem has to be the subject....

Ooh, this is prime clown world material.

Dr. Gutierrez' scholarship focuses on issues of identity and power in mathematics education, paying particular attention to how race, class, and language affect teaching and learning. Through in-depth analyses of effective teaching/learning communities and longitudinal studies of developing and practicing teachers, her work challenges deficit views of students who are Latinx, Black, and Indigenous and suggests that mathematics teachers need to be prepared with much more than just content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, or knowledge of diverse students if they are going to be successful. They need political knowledge. Her current research projects focus upon: developing in pre-service teachers the knowledge and disposition to teach powerful mathematics to urban students; the roles of uncertainty, tensions, and "Nepantla" in teaching; and the political knowledge (and forms of creative insubordination) that mathematics teachers need to effectively "rehumanize" mathematics in an era of high-stakes education. She also builds upon Indigenous principles and has argued for a new form of mathematics where humans are no long centered. This form of mathematics is referred to as living mathematx.
mathematx

WTF with the indentarian Left sticking the X everywhere

Latinx
Xe/Xir
Hxstory
Now mathematx

Here is the mental diarrhea produced by this "educator"

Indigenous knowledges recognize that we are part of a system of intelligent and sentient beings, also referred to as persons, with interconnected spirits, including rocks and bodies of water. Plants, for example, have lived on this planet for millions of years before humans. In that sense, plants are our older brothers/sisters and have developed ways of efficiently using space, relating with other living beings, and sustaining life not just for themselves but for others, often with few resources at any given moment. They have been able to withstand long droughts, communicate about impending dangers, and collaborate in order to protect others in the community in ways that appear to be selfless acts. They have much to teach us; and we may have something to teach them. Breaking with a human/non-human binary is consistent with queer theory, which recognizes the violence that is justified when some are viewed to be more human than others (Chen 2012).

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Does she actually have any degrees in mathematics?

Edit: as i suspected she doesn't have a SINGLE degree in mathematics, she hasn't even passed a single course in mathematics.

There are mathematicians that do doctorates in maths education but she is not one of them she came from the social science direction.
I knew a dimwit like this could never achieve a maths degree. i was hoping she atleast had a bachelors in maths and then a masters in education but nope!

So the real question is why is someone with no degrees in mathematics giving her opinion on mathematics?

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Jan 1, 2017
East Tennessee, USA
I'm embarrassingly pretty horrible at math, but if I answered a math problem incorrectly, it doesn't make my answer any less wrong. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Math isn't something subjective like Art.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiyazakiHatesKojima

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009

Ooh, this is prime clown world material.

mathematx

WTF with the indentarian Left sticking the X everywhere

Latinx
Xe/Xir
Hxstory
Now mathematx

Here is the mental diarrhea produced by this "educator"

Plants, for example, have lived on this planet for millions of years before humans. In that sense, plants are our older brothers/sisters and have developed ways of efficiently using space, relating with other living beings, and sustaining life not just for themselves but for others, often with few resources at any given moment. They have been able to withstand long droughts, communicate about impending dangers, and collaborate in order to protect others in the community in ways that appear to be selfless acts.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DocONally

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Edit: as i suspected she doesn't have a SINGLE degree in mathematics, she hasn't even passed a single course in mathematics.

There are mathematicians that do doctorates in maths education but she is not one of them she came from the social science direction.
I knew a dimwit like this could never achieve a maths degree. i was hoping she atleast had a bachelors in maths and then a masters in education but nope!

So the real question is why is someone with no degrees in mathematics giving her opinion on mathematics?
The subversion of academia, that's why.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
You'll never have nice things as long as whitey exists. We ruin everything. Breathing your air...look at us just sittin here racist respirating!

Morn for your loss... gnash your teeth, whip yourself in bereavement, white people still live.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

A PhD in education with a focus on curriculum and instruction.

What a worthless doctorate. The only reason I can see for such a speciality is so the university can make more money and so that people with middling IQs can think they are geniuses.

It’s like having a PhD in Circlejerking.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
So, if black people and Latinx people learn differently, do we need different schools? I don't think it gets pointed out enough that if you take everything leftists say seriously the only way for their to be anything like equality is if we re-segregate the races.
they actually want to dumb down mathematics instead, instead of looking at "whitey" and seeing why they do well they want to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Full blown retarted. This is why China and Asia will eat the Wests lunch.

Someone should insert that GIF of chinese kids doing crazy math with their hands. Meanwhile our next generation is to busy worrying about 80 genders.

How you going to count all those genders if you don't have math?

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
At its core, the belief seems to be that “western” math is viewed as the only “legitimate expression” of math identity and that it’s used to “disenfranchise people and communities of color” and, consequently, it “erases the historical contributions of people and communities of color.”
Math has an "identity" now? Will it be protesting with all the other marginalized groups??

Edit. because I'm an idiot and hit post in error.

Last edited:

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
Reactions: Cybrwzrd

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Is this the same school district that decided "brown bag lunches" and "peanut butter sandwiches" were racist?
I had to google this because I didn't believe it but

But in conjunction with recent equity training in local Portland schools, one principal is raising questions about the mention of the sandwich, arguing it has broader implications about race, the Portland Tribune reports.

The sandwich was reportedly mentioned in a lesson plan last year. Verenice Gutierrez from the Harvey Scott K-8 School used it as an example of a subtle form of racism in language, according to the report.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez said, according to the Tribune. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.

As part of a training program known as “Courageous Conversations” that has been phased into Portland schools in recent years, the Tribune reports that staff members at Gutierrez’s school have been going through trainings, classroom observations and exercises, such as reading a news article and then talking about it from the perspective of “white privilege.”

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009

But in conjunction with recent equity training in local Portland schools
"Equity" was mentioned by James Lindsay and Peter Boghossian (famous for the ridiculous college papers that were published) as a term that is being used by these crazy people. They don't want equality, so now they are using the word "equity" instead.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
"Equity" was mentioned by James Lindsay and Peter Boghossian (famous for the ridiculous college papers that were published) as a term that is being used by these crazy people. They don't want equality, so now they are using the word "equity" instead.
sounds like a commie term.

Just more proof that commies have infected academia.

Reactions: DocONally

lock2k

Jun 13, 2018
Brazil

But in conjunction with recent equity training in local Portland schools, one principal is raising questions about the mention of the sandwich, arguing it has broader implications about race, the Portland Tribune reports.

The sandwich was reportedly mentioned in a lesson plan last year. Verenice Gutierrez from the Harvey Scott K-8 School used it as an example of a subtle form of racism in language, according to the report.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez said, according to the Tribune. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.

As part of a training program known as “Courageous Conversations” that has been phased into Portland schools in recent years, the Tribune reports that staff members at Gutierrez’s school have been going through trainings, classroom observations and exercises, such as reading a news article and then talking about it from the perspective of “white privilege.”
What a fucking imbecile.

I'm not american and I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches almost daily.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
What a fucking imbecile.

I'm not american and I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches almost daily.
unless you have peanut allergies I don't think any human can not like PB&J sandwhichs, especially kids who love sugar.

unless you have peanut allergies I don't think any human can not like PB&J sandwhichs, especially kids who love sugar.
Not sure I would have survived childhood without pb&j, picky eater and was the only think my parents would know I'd eat.
Feel sorry for the kids that have to suffer going to these shitty schools with shitty rules

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Someone should inform the author that she is an illegitimate idiot. What the hell is she babbling about? Just take a look at some of her questions:

Where does Power and Oppression
show up in our math experiences?
● Who holds power in a
mathematical classroom?
● Is there a place for power and
authority in the math classroom?
● Who gets to say if an answer is
right?
● What is the process for verifying
the truth?

Math is probably the only discipline in which the authority of the teacher solely hinges on his expertise in the field, because if a student has a different opinion and it is valid, the student can prove to the whole class that the teacher is objectively, irrefutably wrong. You cannot argue mathematics from authority, because all knowledge is inherent to the field. You do not need experiments, outside measurements or other complicated input to determine correctness of a claim, you can verify it with a pen, paper and time. Mathematics is not oppressive. Of course, you can use statistics and mathematical tools in ways that harm other people, but the harm does not lie within mathematics. Mathematics is pure and apolitical. Fuck you, Dr. Guiterrez. Do not obstruct scientific education.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
You need to translate if from SJW speak.

POC's aren't good at Math, so its the fault of WHYTE SUPREMACY and the Patriarchy.

I need to get some of that $$$ so I am going to jump onto the intersectional gravy train and try and present math as settler colonialist and a product of western hegemony and other gobly gook buzz words my poli sci 101 college professor used.

Give me $$$ and speaking tours please I am desperate my other degree is taking me nowhere.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I’m telling you, you let this intersectional disease spread too far, gone unchecked, and all sorts of grifters are going to come out of the woodwork.

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
What the hell does a CSS-class Covenant battle cruiser have to do with Canada? Don't tell me Canada is now considering taking in those hinge-head 'refugees' now. Glass Sanghelios like they did to hundreds of our worlds, then we'll talk 'refugees'.

Don't @ me, I know what Truth and Reconciliation is.
My favorite post of the week :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
They are telling on themselves. Math can't be racist, but certain groups by nature will tend to struggle with it more than others.

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
Tell engineers that math is subjective, do you want bridges, buildings, etc collapsing? How about pharmacists and doctors, what's the difference between 10mg and 1000mg, am I right?

Reactions: TeamGhobad