• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Math is Racist!!!

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
I don't even care about predatory loan services being allowed to exist anymore. If you are that stupid, you get what you get.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
When are the racist sexist teacher unions going to stop paying off media to lie about them not being racist and sexist and allow Black men to actually join the unions and teach kids? Hey, White straight men to as well? Historic show that since education became a major political issues focusing around women some decades ago the educations, the performance, and drop out rates continue to be worse, but they WANT TO GET PAID MORE MONEY. It's sad.

Heck, there was already an issue about teachers being unqualified and failing to teach in the first place, not they aren't even teaching curriculum just ideology.

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011

Ok, first things first, fuck this lady. I'm black, got straight A's in math and science and am now a Systems Administrator because of it. Plenty of white students fail math, it just seems like more white students succeed in math in the US because THERE ARE MORE WHITE STUDENTS IN THE US. If there are more white students than black students, then there will always be more white students succeeding in math than there are black students succeeding in math. THAT'S SIMPLE MATH! Which, as TeamGhobad TeamGhobad pointed out, she doesn't have ANY degrees in.

Next, this is the most racist shit I've ever heard. She pretty much just said black and hispanic people are too dumb to understand math. What else can I say to that? She just said we are dumb because math was made for whites and asians and the only way we can understand it is if we go back to our ancestry where they did math we could understand, however, Mezo-American math and African math, was the same fucking math. Historically, everyone did math the same, because math is the most absolute thing we have. Oh and here is something to add. Several "historically black" colleges stopped accepting students from Africa because they had a better learning capacity than US black students. Do African students suddenly not count as people of color because they are capable of doing math?

But no, let's talk about this "it's different for us because of culture" bullshit. Math is not a social structure. You can't change math based on anything. 1+1=2, not because some oppressor said so, but because if I had one object, and then place another single object next to it, and counted them, then I'd have two objects. My ancient ancestor's spirit won't come *poof* out of nowhere and place another object each time I have two objects together. That's religious talk, not math talk. You can't humanize a concept.

Which I must ask, what is the point of trying to humanize the concept? What does that do? So far she hasn't put why this would be advantageous other than just saying "more students of color will get it." Why? Because we can get a wrong answer but still be right? That's not how math works. You can come up with the same answer using different methods (new math vs common core) but it will always be the same answer. Besides trying to force social STUDIES (I refuse to call it a science) into math in a way that doesn't fit, whats the end goal here?

God these SJW types get worse and worse everyday. And of course it's fucking Seattle that just goes along with this. Washington State just seems like the ultimate SJW hub.

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
This is an insult to EVERYONE who ever excelled in math.

I am East Asian and I struggled with Calculus. Must mean I am doubly incompetent since Asians like me are supposed to excel at it.

Yes, trying to protect the most emotionally fragile from being hurt is gonna be our doom at this rate. It's starting to feel like "Harrison Bergeron":

"In the year 2081, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else."

Last edited:
Reactions: Stilton Disco

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
I genuinely despise these people.
Me too

-it used to be that ya say, “I don’t hate the people- I just hate the way these people think”

(like what ya say about an alcoholic)

“Don’t hate the alcoholic. Hate the alcohol”

-but no! I genuinely DO hate those people who are saying that about math (and I also hate other social justice warriors and certain Libs)

Reactions: Ogbert and Durask

Ma-Yuan

Jul 31, 2017
With such nonsense you can't keep a modern society running.

Imagine people argue about mathematics or in more simple terms measurement numbers who would be working in a nuclear power plant. What could go wrong ><

*Insert random Homer Simpson gif*

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
What I find fascinating is the world is literally moving towards the dark ages and we can see it in our lifetime! It is an incredible luxury!

But, honestly speaking, I read the framework document and have no idea what they meant ROFL.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
With such nonsense you can't keep a modern society running.

Imagine people argue about mathematics or in more simple terms measurement numbers who would be working in a nuclear power plant. What could go wrong ><

*Insert random Homer Simpson gif*
There will eventually be another civil war

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Ok... Actually looked this up... It's a family owned business (check the name of the owner/co-owner in the first article below) and the picture of the "all female company" is false.

Snopes also debunks this pic...

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Ok... Actually looked this up... It's a family owned business (check the name of the owner/co-owner in the first article below) and the picture of the "all female company" is false.

Snopes also debunks this pic...

also from snopes:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Should have kept reading...

This claim, however, appears to be based on a misreading of an article published by the university’s official web site on 14 March 2018. The web site quoted Flores, who was a Florida International University graduate and who works for MCM, about how she hopes her daughter pursues mathematics in school. The site mentions the new FIU bridge (the article was published before the collapse), but it never said that Flores was working on this particular project:

Leonor Flores ’98 is a project executive and one of 63 FIU alumni who work for MCM, the construction firm building the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge, which will further connect FIU and its northerly neighbor, the City of Sweetwater. She was excited to share her work with her family, especially (her daughter) Michelle, who is interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) in school.

Michelle said she might want to follow in her parents’ footsteps and go to FIU when the time comes, and that it was fascinating to see her mom’s work in action. “I’m interested in the architecture and the design of the bridge, and the math portion of it,” she said.

Said Leonor: “It’s very important for me as a woman and an engineer to be able to promote that to my daughter, because I think women have a different perspective. We’re able to put in an artistic touch and we’re able to build, too.”
FIU added a statement at the top of their article to clarify that Flores did not work on the bridge project “in any capacity.”

Not an all female construction team
Not an all female engineering team
Not an all female design team

Aug 22, 2018
More likely(than a postmodern, social-constructivist's incomprehensible explanation) the variance found in Math scores in the US can be largely attributed to population-level variance in g as measured by IQ scores.
Math is a very g-loaded subject because of its abstractness and a need to understand the underlying patterns to solve problems rather than a memorizing an answer to a question.

It's just tribal advocacy(+inconvenient truth avoidance) masked as being enlightened, to these people it's not that African Americans/Hispanics are on average worse at Mathematics, everyone must necessarily be equal, rather it's caused purely by enviro-social factors, Especially European oppression and bias! That's why we aren't finding the same level of success.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Go for it Seattle. The terrible education system means I can coast my way through easy careers surrounded by brainlets with a piece of paper signed to their name. Competing against kids who identified as math-educated when I'm in my 50s sounds like a fun way to sail into retirement while laughing.
While this is true, consider the implications of a generation that retarded being allowed to vote and deciding that you are the oppressor and must hand over an amount of money... oh hang on they won't be able to do the maths to figure out how much you owe. Ignore me, move on, nothing to see here.

EDIT: Read some more.. jesus fucking christ on a cunting bike. What the actual cunt? That's honestly ruined my fucking day.

Last edited:

M1nion

Oct 8, 2014
This is some bullshit. Last time I checked numbers didnt give a fuck what color people were when they were being used