• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mathematicians Are Studying Planet-Sized Quantum Computers With God-Like Powers

Forerunner tech or Hitchhikers Guide on the verge of realiry?

Clip....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"In the authors’ theory, the quantum computers have practically infinite power—think of computers the size of planets—so it is no surprise that they can solve the halting problem. But if their solution takes all the time and space in the universe, how do they prove it to you and your laptop? Another coauthor of the study, Henry Yuen, professor at the University of Toronto, spoke to Motherboard about the results."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FWIW, the whole Quantum Entanglement has me fascinated even to this idea. I don't even pretend to try and understand it.

Last edited:
Each paragraph increases the difficulty of me actually grasping this article. I honestly felt like I was hanging in there for a while. Then it got a little blurry, and the last sentence talked about computer gods.

I wish I genuinely understood this. Sounds completely fascinating.

Best I can tell, they figured out how to use a pair of quantum computers to vastly increase the amount of data they can compute, and something about compressing questionable data into a smaller form that lets problems get solved faster. And a bunch of dead people with their last names used to describe unsolvable problems just got handed their ass I think.

Each paragraph increases the difficulty of me actually grasping this article. I honestly felt like I was hanging in there for a while. Then it got a little blurry, and the last sentence talked about computer gods.

I wish I genuinely understood this. Sounds completely fascinating.

Best I can tell, they figured out how to use a pair of quantum computers to vastly increase the amount of data they can compute, and something about compressing questionable data into a smaller form that lets problems get solved faster. And a bunch of dead people with their last names used to describe unsolvable problems just got handed their ass I think.
No worries. It's not just you.

MetalAlien

Banned
They always skip the part where they explain exactly why using entangled particles is awesome. They mention it allows the two computers to verify their results with each other without going any further. The spend the rest of the story explaining what entangled is.

The way they explain it though sounds like Jesus and God. Jesus is the laptop and god is the quantum computer... lol

They always skip the part where they explain exactly why using entangled particles is awesome. They mention it allows the two computers to verify their results with each other without going any further. The spend the rest of the story explaining what entangled is.

The way they explain it though sounds like Jesus and God. Jesus is the laptop and god is the quantum computer... lol

You guys do not understand.

When we take psychedelics and meditate, that is essentially us experiencing the PlayStation 9 and Xbox Infinity.
This is when you realize that we are PS9 and XBoxInfinite = God. This was what Einstein and was trying to figure out before he died.

Alan Watts told me all this during the Xbox reveal commercial.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
You guys do not understand.

When we take psychedelics and meditate, that is essentially us experiencing the PlayStation 9 and Xbox Infinity.
This is when you realize that we are PS9 and XBoxInfinite = God. This was what Einstein and was trying to figure out before he died.

Alan Watts told me all this during the Xbox reveal commercial.
So hell is eternally waiting for you DCL to install?

In homologous math terms, they can determine whether an algorithm/program will terminate for a given input without actually evaluating it.

Algorithms are homologous to simple functions like y = x; they map (a ubiquitous phrase in math) an input to an output. More broadly, a function maps a domain of possible inputs to a range of possible outputs. For simple functions like basic algebraic ones it is easy to tell whether a function terminates or not - showing that y = x for x in the domain of integers means y has a range of the integer is simple. For programs that task is much more difficult, and there is no algorithm utilizing simple binary logic that allows that to be determined (i.e. Turing's proof). This quantum computer algorithm can determine that.

They spend more of the article blathering about something as easy as utilizing a quantum computer with cloud computing without actually explaining what this means.

Top Bottom