• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix Resurrections – Full trailer Thursday at 6AM PT

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.12.03-PM-1024x418.jpg
Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.11.54-PM-1024x518.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.10.48-PM-1024x495.jpg
Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.10.44-PM-1024x474.jpg
Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.10.23-PM-1024x399.jpg
Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.09.27-PM-1024x439.jpg
Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.09.33-PM-1024x556.jpg
unknown.png
Screen-Shot-2021-09-07-at-12.09.11-PM-1024x515.jpg
unknown.png

Wvo9bWC.gif
jL9eXTO.gif$
vsGwHEw.gif

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Yes, why would there be a reason to expand upon a series rooted in the concept of transhumanism, since nothing much has changed in terms of cultural awareness on the subject in the past 20 years?
Are these sort of themes only worth exploring through sequels in established franchises?
Stories can never have a proper conclusion because of changing trends in culture? I'm not following your logic.

EruditeHobo

Are these sort of themes only worth exploring through sequels in established franchises?
Stories can never have a proper conclusion because of changing trends in culture? I'm not following your logic.

That seems like a different objection. I mean it's been a series for 18 years now, so in what way does a continuation -- especially considering the many many ways the ideas it explores and concepts it introduced have been used, expanded upon, and taken out of context over the last 2 decades -- feel pointless?

Seems like a really interesting filmmaker might have something to say, and surely that's a good thing? At a minimum that seems like it might be the best we're going to get from the blockbuster medium... at least compared to the neverending chain of Marvel movies, Disney remakes, and amusement park attraction adaptations. "Pointless" seems a very odd descriptor.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's just a question about: Do you have something good to tell in that universe? And we don't know the answer yet.
But I really like what the Wachowski have done so far and for now that teaser had me hyped, the cinematography is already amazing.

It's pointless because the story concluded.
Did it?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
That seems like a different objection. I mean it's been a series for 18 years now, so in what way does a continuation -- especially considering the many many ways the ideas it explores and concepts it introduced have been used, expanded upon, and taken out of context over the last 2 decades -- feel pointless?

Seems like a really interesting filmmaker might have something to say, and surely that's a good thing? At a minimum that seems like it might be the best we're going to get from the blockbuster medium... at least compared to the neverending chain of Marvel movies, Disney remakes, and amusement park attraction adaptations. "Pointless" seems a very odd descriptor.
It's pointless because the story concluded. Not the most satisfying conclusion, but a conclusion nevertheless.
Simply my opinion, don't let me spoil your excitement for it lol

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's pointless because the story concluded. Not the most satisfying conclusion, but a conclusion nevertheless.
Simply my opinion, don't let me spoil your excitement for it lol

I'm glad they're doing another one, because revolutions was one of the worst endings to a franchise I've ever seen. Basically the matrix just putters long like it always had, only the machines now let people who realise they're in the matrix out. What sloppy bullshit is that?

mortal

Gold Member
It's just a question about: Do you have something good to tell in that universe. And we don't know the answer yet.
But I really like what the Wachowski have done so far and for now that teaser had me hyped, the cinematography is already amazing.
Sure, although the Matrix trilogy was considered a trilogy for a reason. It had a beginning, middle, and end.
This new film establishes a new plotline, so naturally, it remains to be seen whether or not this new plotline will be good or not.

Wachowskis have been very hit or miss for me. With the first Matrix still being the best film that they've done to this day.
Although I do agree that some of those shots in the teaser do look visually nice.
Did it not? I don't recall Revolutions ending on a cliffhanger alluding to an eventual sequel.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sure, although the Matrix trilogy was considered a trilogy for a reason. It had a beginning, middle, and end.
This new film establishes a new plotline, so naturally, it remains to be seen whether or not this new plotline will be good or not.

Wachowskis have been very hit or miss for me. With the first Matrix still being the best film that they've done to this day.
Although I do agree that some of those shots in the teaser do look visually nice.

Did it not? I don't recall Revolutions ending on a cliffhanger alluding to an eventual sequel.
Why not accept that there may be more to explore? Matrix is the Wachowskis' baby, and Lana seems to believe that yes, there is more to the story.
From there, you don't have to complain - or whine or whatever you want to call your comments - about it
Well maybe you should watch them again because while the end of Matrix 3 is not a cliffhanger, it's also not a conclusion. The newly created Matrix is a decoy that only serves to channel those rejecting the reality of The Matrix.
Humanity is not free = fight is not over = more stories to tell.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well maybe you should watch them again because while the end of Matrix 3 is not a cliffhanger, it's also not a conclusion. The newly created Matrix is a decoy that only serves to channel those rejecting the reality of The Matrix.

This. That conclusion was no kind of ending at all - not for the Matrix as a whole. I remember walking out thinking that they'd spent three entire movies getting to a denouement that changed virtually nothing. Now, I know that may have been the point they were trying to make (the one being a cyclical entity and all) but you'd think they could come up with something more satisfying and final. They copped out. No two ways about it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I thought matrix 2 and 3 were phenomenal the thing is Matrix 1 was BIG and first in a series movies (Harry Potter, avatar, Bourne) are usually the best.

mortal

Gold Member
Why not accept that there may be more to explore? Matrix is the Wachowskis' baby, and Lana seems to believe that yes, there is more to the story.
From there, you don't have to complain - or whine or whatever you want to call your comments - about it
Wait, why do I need to accept it? Whether they want to make another sequel is irrelevant to whether I accept it or not.
My opinion has no bearing on what they choose to create. Be it far from me from obstructing others from creating what they desire.

I neither complain nor whined, so that was uncalled for. I was responding to someone else and you desire to interject and I happily engaged with you lol

I'd certainly consider that a conclusion yes. Simply because it's not a desirable outcome doesn't negate it as a conclusion to a story that was told.

That conclusion was no kind of ending at all - not for the Matrix as a whole. I remember walking out thinking that they'd spent three entire movies getting to a denouement that changed virtually nothing. Now, I know that may have been the point they were trying to make (the one being a cyclical entity and all) but you'd think they could come up with something more satisfying and final. They copped out. No two ways about it.
That's a subjective claim though. My point is that it had a conclusion. I appreciate finality in a story, and I'm not referring to the Matrix universe as a whole.
I love the Animatrix, which served to explore plenty of ideas outside the story being told in the films.
I can understand where you're coming from, but personally, I don't like the idea of sequels serving as "do-overs."

Saber

Gold Member
I'm interested, since I'm a fan of Matrix movies.
But I'm kinda with expectations low at same time. Who knows with modern influencing could do with the story telling of Matrix.

Gonna wait to see more.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Sati: We will see him again?

The Oracle: I suspect so.

I wasn't really excited for this at all until a few months ago when small leaks here and there started showing up online. From what I've heard, this movie sounds weird/meta/ridiculous.

Hopefully it doesn't suck. I'm ready

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Fair enough, although I've always interpreted that as a reference to the cyclical nature of the Matrix, not a literal "to be continued."

I mean, I'm sure it was, and phrased vaguely enough to be a commentary in film as "the system never changes too much," and sequel bait in case the stars ever aligned. I mean, I remember seeing Revolutions in theatres with my father a million years ago, and right out of the screening room he was saying "The sequel will be called Matrix Resurrections," I mean...sequel bait or not, it was a logical choice to follow should one ever be announced.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Please be good. We've had a shitty past year and a half. Society deserves a good Matrix movie.

Tschumi

Er, here's hoping the tlou2-haters and such who make up a small fraction of this forum don't end up raging against it for having an overt lgbtqia theme, which seems quite possible.. edit: tlou2 might not be the best example of the intolerance I'm referring to, I'll switch it out for any better examples of intolerance, maybe it's better to say people who used to hold anti-lgbtqia views here... As they mostly got shitcanned. in fact the changing social approach to these things might be the reason they wanted to give it another try in the first place.. remembering the recent (?) reveal by one of the sisters that the original was a metaphor for being gay/coming out of the closet...

I thought by Revolutions the series was dead, it would take a lot for this series to recapture my imagination like it once did

On the positive side, i thought Enter the Matrix on GameCube was fucking awesome! <3

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Er, here's hoping the tlou2-haters and such who make up a small fraction of this forum don't end up raging against it for having an overt lgbtqia theme, which seems quite possible.. in fact the changing social approach to these things might be the reason they wanted to give it another try in the first place.. remembering the recent (?) reveal by one of the sisters that the original was a metaphor for being gay/coming out of the closet...

I thought by Revolutions the series was dead, it would take a lot for this series to recapture my imagination like it once did

On the positive side, i thought Enter the Matrix on GameCube was fucking awesome! <3

Wtf does tlou2 have to do with The Matrix? No one has issues with lesbian couples. They had issues with Abby who is not lgbtq. Everybody who has seen Matrix and enjoyed the trilogy most likely knows about the Wachowski's and will expect trans-human themes.

Top Bottom