• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix Resurrections – Full trailer Thursday at 6AM PT

Yoboman

One thing they really nailed in the first movie was how eery the Matrix felt. I dont know if it was intentional but they really made it feel like the real world as if it was just slightly "off".

Like it had everything about the real world like the 90s offices and clubs, but whether it was the acting or cinematography it just felt slightly wrong.

I dont know if that was intentional but it'd be hard to capture again

I have absolutely zero expectations. But if word of mouth is good enough I might watch it like I did Suicide Squad. I have HBO Max anyway.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Will watch because Matrix, but it does look somewhat cheap... in places. Hope it not trash. And I miss the BDSM look and feels of the old movies. :(

Last edited:
The mystery of why Thomas Anderson (Keanu Reeves) is back inside The Matrix's faux reality - and why he keeps going through the Deja Vu paces of meeting characters like Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) and Morpheus (Abdul-Mateen) is basically the major "sell" that director Lana Wachowski needs to make, here. The Matrix 4 hinges on that reveal in many ways - and a pivotal part of it will be explaining why Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is now Morpheus - instead of Laurence Fishburne.

Fishburne seemed confused about the change himself, telling Collider earlier this year: "It would make sense that people ask me that....I am not in the next Matrix movie and you'd have to ask Lana Wachowski why, 'cause I don't have an answer for that."

giphy.gif

I always liked the idea that the previous versions of the Matrix are still running in a walled garden....so there's no such thing as a multiverse, just the possibility to escape to another revision of The Matrix.

I love Reloaded, it sets up what should be the greatest movie ever....

...and then all you get is two hours of Mech battles. :(

Xenon

Yeah the messaging in this movie is going to be a subtle as a bat to the head. Part of me thinks the reason the Wachowskis even agreed to this is because it gives them a soap box.

I'll definitely wait to hear reviews before heading to the theater.

QSD

Looking good... for the writers of Cloud Atlas and Sense 8

Still not convinced.
Cloud Atlas is actually pretty close to the book by David Mitchell (which I love) it's just that it's a pretty hard-to-film book. It's a miracle the movie worked at all, really. I also thought the thing they did with the actors was pretty brave. Doesn't really make for a great film, but I feel I should at least mount a tepid defense :)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah the messaging in this movie is going to be a subtle as a bat to the head. Part of me thinks the reason the Wachowskis even agreed to this is because it gives them a soap box.

I'll definitely wait to hear reviews before heading to the theater.

Only one Wachowski is involved.

QSD

"There are pills and white rabbits in The Matrix."
"What song references pills and Alice in Wonderland?"
"White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane."
"Brilliant!"

Their creative team really had to dig deep for that one :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Hmmm

I'm pretty sure Johnny Depp just showed up to their place one day and started shouting "white rabbit white rabbit!" while taking a bath

Tokio Blues

The trailer was kinda... amazing.

What the fuck is up with new fake morpheus ?! What is going on

I have the theory, that a stereotype of "morpheus" was in every matrix, so since the last one was "destroyed" or "renewed", the must be a new "morpheus", the other died in "matrix online" so the machines created a new one. with the same "asthethics", so his mission will be bring THE ONE to the real world, AGAIN.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have the theory, that a stereotype of "morpheus" was in every matrix, so since the last one was "destroyed" or "renewed", the must be a new "morpheus", the other died in "matrix online" so the machines created a new one. with the same "asthethics", so his mission will be bring THE ONE to the real world, AGAIN.
I really need to rewatch the trilogy. I dont remember the conclusion

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I wonder how big a role the Oracle had in that. Morpheus did what he did because of the prophecy, so it could have been anyone that stood out.

Tokio Blues

I really need to rewatch the trilogy. I dont remember the conclusion

I wonder how big a role the Oracle had in that. Morpheus did what he did because of the prophecy, so it could have been anyone that stood out.

Yes.. but in theory, it was the same matrix repeating itself over and over again. So i think that the existence of a "morpheus" was always implied. That's my theory. I think that's what Neo talked with the Architect, and NEO was different because he chose to love and save Trinity, before saving Zion.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Cleared_Hot

Always thought the most interesting premise for a follow up to the originals was a 'what if' scenario, in that Neo originally refused to take the Red Pill and walked away from Morpheus & Trinity

..and now we catch up with Neo, 20yrs later to put it right.
He lives a mundane life and dies of old age. The end.

tIRtPF5.jpg

Young oracle, young architect and young Morpheus. God forbid we have some old people in this movie.
The story will most likely feature a time travel plot, to fit in all these younger characters (can't have old farts in Matrix 5 if this is a success). Which makes it even worse.

In the first Matrix movie, Morpheus told Neo that he freed other people before him.
The fight scene in the trailer is probably the result of Morpheus' first rescue where Neo tells him the prophecy of "The One" that sets him on his patch.

In essence Neo is sent back in time to create his own prophecy.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Look I liked the original and remember as a late teenager going to see it and thinking "how fucking cool is this!"

But, and this is a big one, I feel like this move is going to be very WOKE.
tilda-swinton-woke.gif

It's going to have those core elements from the original of course but the Wachowski Sister is definitely going to be playing off of the current social climate in this one.

Just give us another ANIMATRIX anthology and let other writers and directors bring fresh ideas to and established franchise.

tumblr_nql15qsVJx1rqig44o2_540.gifv
They should have made the second reinassance part I & II into movies instead of the Matrix 4: Resuscitations.

I_D

I would assume the new Morpheus has something to do with Fishburne disowning his daughter, but that's purely speculation.

The CGI in the trailer looks like absolute dogshit, but I'm still interested in the movie. The Matrix was my favorite movie as a teenager, so I'm going to be watching this one in theaters regardless of what the reviews say.

GamingKaiju

Undecided on this after watching the trailer. Will wait for word of mouth. Can remember watching the first at cinema and it blew my mind.

NinjaBoiX

OK, that looks pretty damn slick!
I love the way the time changes on the video to the actual time every time you watch it.
Wait, what?

What do you mean?
New clips are randomly shown each time you click on a pill, too! You never get the same "trailer" twice.
I’m sorry, again, what do you mean?

Are these trailers dynamic or something?

Edit: OK, I just visited the website rather than the embedded video. That’s a really cool concept!

Last edited:

Kenpachii

tIRtPF5.jpg

Young oracle, young architect and young Morpheus. God forbid we have some old people in this movie.
The story will most likely feature a time travel plot, to fit in all these younger characters (can't have old farts in Matrix 5 if this is a success). Which makes it even worse.

In the first Matrix movie, Morpheus told Neo that he freed other people before him.
The fight scene in the trailer is probably the result of Morpheus' first rescue where Neo tells him the prophecy of "The One" that sets him on his patch.

In essence Neo is sent back in time to create his own prophecy.

Where all of them not bound to happen in the matrix, i think its just the next version in the future that does everything all over again. Which explains why they are young.

Last edited:

8bitpill

They should have made the second reinassance part I & II into movies instead of the Matrix 4: Resuscitations.
The world of the Matrix has a lot of cool possibilities.

That second and third one were just shoe horned and rushed. I remember being in college and no caring to much to go see the second one. There were elements that were good in the second one but it all lead up to the third one that really tarnished...
matrix-party.gif

But then they talked about other versions of the Matrix that had vampires, werewolf and other cryptozoology, which was cool and would be something to dive into with a short film or anthology like they did with the ANIMATRIX.

I set my exceptions pretty low with movies anymore.

Where all of them not bound to happen in the matrix, i think its just the next version in the future that does everything all over again. Which explains why they are young.

Maybe, but that would be the less crappy version so it is unlikely they will go with that ;)

There's also the architect who says "...to be going back to where it all started. Back to the Matrix". Resurrections implies that Neo and Trinity get reincarnated, but why would they remain old while the others are young? So they probably won't travel in time physically, but join a younger Matrix where many of the events in the first 3 movies haven't happened yet.

Also I feel like the movie will first and foremost continue the love story between Neo and Trinity.

Cleared_Hot

I would assume the new Morpheus has something to do with Fishburne disowning his daughter, but that's purely speculation.

The CGI in the trailer looks like absolute dogshit, but I'm still interested in the movie. The Matrix was my favorite movie as a teenager, so I'm going to be watching this one in theaters regardless of what the reviews say.
What exactly looked like "absolute dogshit"?! When I think that phrase I'm thinking of mortal kombat annihilation. Everything in this trailer looked decent

McCheese

So much danger hair in this trailer, I'm surprised wish.com Laurence fishburne didn't have a wig on.

So the machines tricked original neo into coding the matrix? Which is why when he respawns into it in the other films he has discord mod powers... Is that the gist of it? This is him getting to the end of developing the game and realising he's been duped?

Kenpachii

Maybe, but that would be the less crappy version so it is unlikely they will go with that ;)

There's also the architect who says "...to be going back to where it all started. Back to the Matrix". Resurrections implies that Neo and Trinity get reincarnated, but why would they remain old while the others are young? So they probably won't travel in time physically, but join a younger Matrix where many of the events in the first 3 movies haven't happened yet.

Also I feel like the movie will first and foremost continue the love story between Neo and Trinity.

Is he not buddy's with the architect? i could see it being a new software program that is build by the machines to support neo in the hope he can get rid of the new virus quicker? The machine does know who neo is after all.

Last edited:
Is he not buddy's with the architect? i could see it being a new software program that is build by the machines to support neo in the hope he can get rid of the new virus quicker? The machine does know who neo is after all.

Could be, it's been a while tbh. The sequels made the whole story so needlessly convoluted, it's embarrassing really. I don't think they want to deal with all that crap, hence why they will probably go for some kind of reset. Apparently they first wanted to make a prequel, so this would allow them to kinds do both. Either way it's going to be wonky as sh*t and if they focus on Trinity's and Neo's love story it will only get worse and betray everything the original movie is about.

Top Bottom