• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix Resurrections – Full trailer Thursday at 6AM PT

Doczu

I'm being on the fence here. I'm afraid it's just been too long after the original (trilogy) and a lot have changed in our lives/world that they needed to adapt in the movie self - this makes me feel like i'm not the target audience, but that may be just my personal feeling.

I just don't want them either to reboot it in a Force Awakens style or subvert our expectations like in TLJ. I hate it how they do it with sequels these days...

That said i am open minded, i will accept a change of protagonists etc. if it's done well, not slapped on with a "take it or leave it" tweet by the creators.

I may be in the minority but i like the sequels, i think they added a lot to the lore (even if the execution could be better) and i can't wait for the analysis yt vids, long discussions and the movie self.

My god, that part of the storyline is actually confirmed? My hopes for this movie are dwindling fast. :lollipop_neutral:
It's a great concept, if you think a bit outside the box (while being high or intoxicated)

the idea of Neo having his memories ereased (but not his sub-concious) and he created the games as a way to cope with his mental problems is a great premise. Now that there may be another matrix revolution coming and a reboot is needed the machines thought that Neo would be a great person to design the next "temporary prison" the humans sit in. I think that the peace is still (somewhat) maintained as in one scene of the trailers we see the human pods - a lot of them are empty/not plugged in so i think that they kept their word and people (who get aware of the simulation) are given the choice to plug out (and less and less people are born in it). On the other hand you have more and more people in the real world and a splinter terrorist group could emerge and.want to awaken Neo again.
Just a stoned thought made by me 🤷🏻‍♂️

SJRB

Gold Member
Instead of a green tone they seem to be going for a oversaturated tone for the simulation, giving a surreal, dreamlike effect.

Which is kinda neat honestly. Look at that opening shot in the trailer. It looks too good to be true, literally.

Last edited:

Doczu

Instead of a green tone they seem to be going for a oversaturated tone for the simulation, giving a surreal, dreamlike effect.

Which is kinda neat honestly. Look at that opening shot in the trailer. It looks too good to be true, literally.
Like the original Matrix version, right? Which was a literal paradise that made people reject it because ir was too perfect

SJRB

Gold Member
Like the original Matrix version, right? Which was a literal paradise that made people reject it because ir was too perfect

Yeah, my guess is that this time around people will be more complacent because they have mobile phones and whatnot to keep them busy with meaningless trivialities.

This movie is going to be an endless pile of meta-commentaries, lol.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That's such bullshit. The original movie is basically a retelling of Plato's cave.
The cave representing untruth, while the outside represents the truth. Escaping the cave is strenuous, hence why people prefer to life a comfortable lie in the cave.

It's such a universal concept, that you could apply it to basically anything, living a lie or not being frank with your sexual identity could be one such example. Either the Wachowskis are retconning their movie in order to score woke points or they they didn't understand their own movie in the first place.

This is what Hollywood does nowadays, butchering the meaning of beloved cult movies in order to fit current societal trends. That is another reason why this movie is very likely going to suck.
I remember seeing a book in Wal-mart that based Bible studies on the matrix- taking the matrix story and using it as a way of explaining Christian salvation.

It was pretty common to interpret that movie however you wanted. It’s why it had the legs it did. It wowed you with special effects and then hit you with that universally experienced theme.

edit: not sure how to unquote someone I accidentally quoted.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a book in Wal-mart that based Bible studies on the matrix- taking the matrix story and using it as a way of explaining Christian salvation.

It was pretty common to interpret that movie however you wanted. It’s why it had the legs it did. It wowed you with special effects and then hit you with that universally experienced theme.

edit: not sure how to unquote someone I accidentally quoted.

Yep, it's such a universal allegory that it appeals to people from many different walks of life.
Now they have gone and narrowed it down to the point of irrelevancy.

Stuart360

They should have given neo a clean shaven look. I can't really unsee john wick. Lol!
Keanu looks a lot older without his beard (check the new Bill and Ted). Apparently he doesnt have a beard in the 'real world' parts of this film from what i read.

Stitch

Gold Member
The green filter for the first Matrix movie was added later. It looked more natural originally, like on the old snapper case DVD from 1999.
Then I got the Ultimate Collection Box Set and the transfer was changed to make it look more like the sequels.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah I considered that. Could be the plot reason for it, but the promo art has both pills looking like that so it leaves room for doubt. Maybe it's just a focus on the psychiatrist thing.
In the trailer Neo is given a pill, do they still look like classic Matrix pills or more up to date ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where is the real morpheus and the green look?
While it is true the original Matrix had a Green hue, it wasn't supposed to be that green
It actually got greener with each release
If you watch the new 4K Blu-ray release you'll see it not as Green as you remember, here's why
Check the video out

Also at the end of Revelations the hue goes and everything becomes more colourful.
Which explains why the new Matrix is colourful and not green.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Can your 75" 4k somehow magically change cinematography, music, script, dialogue, tone and actors?
You seriously started off bitching about cinematography?! ARE WE WATCHING THE SAME FUCKING TRAILER? This look beautifully shot, the music was cool, the dialogue was good, the action looks fucking amazing. What in the actual fuck is up with you people. Go watch black widow if you wanna see shit.

Last edited:
Keanu looks a lot older without his beard (check the new Bill and Ted). Apparently he doesnt have a beard in the 'real world' parts of this film from what i read.

Very interesting how facial hair can make people look younger sometimes, when generally it's the other way around

Come to think of it, I think I look younger with a bit of stubble rather than pure clean shaven

Last edited:
It is of course the way of all things. You see, there is only one constant, one universal. It is the only real truth.

Causality.

Action, reaction. Cause, and effect.

580.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

It was a systemic function of the Wachowskis to propagate the inherent value of the franchise, vis-a-vis, a sequel that would reboot the very system established in 1999, and return the series to the source, wherein all your preconceptions about the sequels would therefore, be reduced to a binary selection of "on," or "off," thus eliminating the world consciousness' recollection of diminishing returns on the IP and renewing interest in the universe. Herego, Resurrections. The cinema goers may choose not to believe this, but there were three before this. And some video games that, while not as proportionally widespread as the cinema, were all apart of the system as a whole. The problem, as another user so eloquently worded it, was "creative bankruptcy,"

Keanu Reeves: You'd better hope I don't creatively bankrupt you again

Yoda

I really adored the first movie... I really hope they don't try and undo its legacy. As someone's who generally pessimistic and critical of trailers, I kind of liked this one?

Kev Kev

ok, im interested. cool trailer and this looks like a lot of fun.

im gonna just forget about this until it releases on streaming or whatever. i want to go in as blind as possible

TGO

Christina Ricci & Christopher Reid(Kid from Kid & Play) are in this.
Also Agent Johnson is in it too 🤔
I don't understand why Jada Pinkett Smith is in this either if they recasted Morpheus with a younger actor 😕

Ulysses 31

I don't understand why Jada Pinkett Smith is in this either if they recasted Morpheus with a younger actor 😕
Maybe Lawrence Fishburne was just not fit enough for the role anymore or he wanted too much money. 🤷‍♂️

Ulysses 31

But... That doesn't make any sense. At all
True, take it was a grain of salt however
someone earlier in the thread brought up the rumour that Neo is the villain this time.

Maybe she's the one in just this new Matrix. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Tokio Blues

My theory is that the Matrix is "repeating itself again" -like a new one- so that's why you see a young morpheus, oracle and an architect. I think, that in the previous versions of the matrix, it always existed that estereotype of "morpheus" that rescues the ONE. So, is not the old "morpheus" -that died in Matrix Online- is a newer version.

TGO

My theory is that the Matrix is "repeating itself again" -like a new one- so that's why you see a young morpheus, oracle and an architect. I think, that in the previous versions of the matrix, it always existed that estereotype of "morpheus" that rescues the ONE. So, is not the old "morpheus" -that died in Matrix Online- is a newer version.
That's what I believe, the mistake they made was putting Neo in there and thinking they could control him forever

Tokio Blues

That's what I believe, the mistake they made was putting Neo in there and thinking they could control him forever

Exactly, and I imagine that someone could ask, but.. "why morpheus is always a black and bold guy?". Well may be, that's just an stereotype for the machines that must repeats itself in the codes, so they look up for a body that matches with that preferences, and they load up, in the new brain, with one objective in mind "find the ONE".

bender

What time is it?
Why they makin a 4th matrix?

Because instead of making a directors cut of the original and scrapping Neo going superman out of the phonebooth thus making the perfect standalone movie, they made two sequels. Two sequels that were much, much worse than their predecessor. As bad as the 4th movie will be, it would be a triumph if it can out-suck Revolutions.

Mr Hyde

Didn't look good unfortunately. Seems like a repeat of the first one with too much fan service. Keanu's John Wick look is ruining much of it, he should've a had a haircut to look more like Neo from the movies. Don't trust the Wachovskis either after their string of failures they put out recently. Still gonna watch it in theater just because I love the experience. Hopefully I'm wrong and the movie it will surprise me

Because instead of making a directors cut of the original and scrapping Neo going superman out of the phonebooth thus making the perfect standalone movie, they made two sequels. Two sequels that were much, much worse than their predecessor. As bad as the 4th movie will be, it would be a triumph if it can out-suck Revolutions.
But I like the superman ending.

SuperGooey

I shouldn't be surprised by Neogaf, but holy shit some of you are so negative on this! Haha

We all have our opinions, but I think this trailer fucking rules. The first Matrix is my all-time favorite movie, and this trailer is such an intriguing mystery that could go in a hundred different directions. It could easily be shit, but I do believe this is an inspired sequel that will be full of inspired ideas that are weird. That excites me more than I can put into words. This isn't going to be a lazy cashgrab; Lana's definitely got something she wants to say with this film.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Might be even worse if the rumours Doomcock heard are true:
That Trinity was the one all along.

Oh, this is absolutely true. It’s why earlier in the thread I said some people around here are going to shit their pants with rage when the twist happens 😂

Trinity will be revealed as the new ‘One’ at the end of Resurrections.

Top Bottom