• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matsuno isn't working on The Last Story, is working on unnamed project

https://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno sez:

In response to: YasumiMatsuno Is it truth that you are part of the last story?Hugh fan,can't wait

He says: There is one thing I'd like to clarify. I'm not participating in the project.

And in response to: Hi Mr Matsuno.Glad to see you in good health! I'd like to know if we can still hope to see you back in videogame industry?

He says: @ZackofAkkad well... Anything cannot be spoken still now. Please wait for a while.

So he is not, in fact, a crazy husk of a former genius; rather, from the sound of it he's still got something he's working on. Sorry to post a thread about Twitter, but I know there are a lot of Matsuno fans on GAF and thought it'd be of mild interest.

Just the title alone "Last Story" is such a blatant spin of the title "Final Fantasy"

And the logo... come on guys.
www.totalvideogames.com_70349_The-Last-Story.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
PuppetMaster said:
Just the title alone "Last Story" is such a blatant spin of the title "Final Fantasy"
Yes, it's been said that they look identical but this lacks Yamano art, of course.

Dresden said:
I hope it's some crazy medieval SRPG project, whatever he's working on.
Anything at all, as long as it has a solid unique look and cast/stories.

Well, that's 0-2 for me. I thought he was working on Monado, which he wasn't. I though it was this, I guess I'm wrong again.

I wonder what he'll do? If it's a SRPG than I'm totally excited! He's the best at J-SRPGs.

Also, I'm personally excited for The Last Story because it's on the Wii and it looks like Sakaguchi is coming back to his roots to make a Final Fantasy-like RPG.

Hope it's good and comes here!

Darkman M

PuppetMaster said:

We'll that guy kinda created the Final Fantasy series to begin with.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
it looks like Sakaguchi is coming back to his roots to make a Final Fantasy-like RPG.
What were Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey if not him "coming back to his roots"?

Unless you mean going back to a Nintendo console.

SimpleDesign said:

Those too, but Last Story looks like something he feels close to home with.

Just my guess.

B.K.

Big One said:
People expected Matsuno for Last Story? I never really though that it would be an SRPG project.

People expect Matsuno every time when a new, non Square Enix RPG is first announced. They're very delusional.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Those too, but Last Story looks like something he feels close to home with.

Just my guess.
Fair enough.

I just hope Nintendo have a large part to play in its development. Sakaguchi had full control during the development of Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey, which is one of the reasons why Yukio Futatsugi quit his job at Microsoft.

With Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, no one could say anything to [Hironobu] Sakaguchi. Nobody could go up to Sakaguchi and say "This part sucks, you have to change this." So, we just had to watch what he was doing and report that back to the U.S., so my real feeling is that I'm just tired of this, it's time to move on.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
SimpleDesign said:
Fair enough.

I just hope Nintendo have a large part to play in its development. Sakaguchi had full control during the development of Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey, which is one of the reasons why Yukio Futatsugi quit his job at Microsoft.
From what we understand, a certain Mr. M has his thumb in a level of the game development pie. Now that we know it's not Matsuno, we can collectively assume it's Miyamoto. This game will be ace.

Also, I would in no way expect for this to be a traditional RPG on ANY level. From what I can gather through the cryptic branding and blog posts from Iwata and Sakaguchi respectively, I'm expecting something completely unexpected, or at least highly experimental, something that has the potential to completely reshape how we see RPGs. With the individuals involved, I have a very strong feeling that it can deliver on such a lofty potential. The only question now is whether or not it's marketable.

I'm also curious on what Matsuno is working on. Probably something he likes and can relax with. After what FF12 put him through, whatever it is he's doing will definitely have to be low stress...

duckroll

doomed1 said:
From what we understand, a certain Mr. M has his thumb in a level of the game development pie. Now that we know it's not Matsuno, we can collectively assume it's Miyamoto. This game will be ace.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah okay.

ITA84

duckroll said:
Matsuno is obviously writing Mad Mad World now. He has no interest in RPGs anymore.

Then please wake me up when he starts working on Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

GCX

doomed1 said:
Miyamoto is a great guy and all and he usually has his hands on every Nintendo-published game but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to let him help in a development of an RPG.

"What's with all this story? GET RID OF IT!"

Big One

Banned
SimpleDesign said:

Well The Last Story has apparently been in planning since FF7 as a possible successor of the Final Fantasy series. I don't think it's going to come back to the roots or anything - whatever that means considering JRPGs have been in the roots since forever - just Sakaguchi's idea coming into fruition. It'll be interesting to see what he has in mind.

PuppetMaster said:

I can't believe nobody mentioned this before! You must be some sort of detective to make skillful observations such as these. Are you a detective? Can I have your autograph?

Matsuno

Update Matsuno twitter

Hi, in that relationships you are remained with your former team?(Minagawa, Yoshida, Akiyama) and we can hope in a new Ogre?

Yasumi Matsuno: They are important friends. I'm still staying in touch with them. Though regrettable, I don't have an answer beyond it.

Jackson

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I can't believe nobody mentioned this before! You must be some sort of detective to make skillful observations such as these. Are you a detective? Can I have your autograph?

bitter tears.

golem

SimpleDesign said:
Fair enough.

Where did Futatsugi end up anyways?

heringer

This actually makes me sad. I was hoping this would be his real return.

Oh well. I guess we will have to settle with Takuya Matsumoto. So boring.

carlo6529

I'm not disappointed that he is not working on Last Story.

This just means we can expect another great game announcement hopefully in the near future.

WillyFive

PuppetMaster said:

I know you meant it to be sarcasm, but in case any newbies here don't know:

Last Story is made by the same guy that did Final Fantasy.

It's his logo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If there's one thing that's great about Twitter, it's going to be that it'll be possible to dispel rumours very quickly. I don't think there'll be a golden age of new accidental announcements or anything, but now instead of waiting for Kotaku to email a PR department and have them eventually get back to them with a hedged bet denial, now a fan can directly ask the person working on the game what's up.

Gilgamesh

Glad to hear Matsuno is working on something. I hope it isn't an SRPG since I don't really like them, but I'd still play it if it was.

GCX said:
Miyamoto is a great guy and all and he usually has his hands on every Nintendo-published game but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to let him help in a development of an RPG.

But he supervised Earthbound's development.

GCX said:

Like adding timed attacks to Super Mario RPG? Fuck yeah! That would be awesome.

Dascu

I'm hoping for a modern-day setting instead of the usual medieval political intrigue this time.

Something during the Cold War would rock.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Not since 2002. President Iwata's development restructure sort of designated Miyamoto's tasks. Nowadays, he doesn't even supervise some of EAD's game, let alone internal Nintendo, or Nintendo produced software.

He did work on the first two Earthbounds as well. He loves the games.

Top Bottom