• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty and Phil Spencer talk about bolstering first party

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I think we just needed to be in a better position to deliver on the promise of content. We were in this acquisition and growth phase for 18 months or so. Now, we’ve shifted over more to an execution or delivery phase.
In addition to pre-existing studios like 343 Industries and The Coalition, and the several acquisitions, Xbox Game Studios founded The Initiative, a southern California-based team helmed by Darrell Gallagher, who has worked on multiple high-profile projects with companies like Crystal Dynamics and Activision. The Initiative has also brought in top talent from other well-respected game development teams, while using its geographic ties to the film industry to tap those resources and explore new ways to push gaming forward as a medium. We’ve yet to learn anything about what The Initiative has been working on since its founding in 2018, but Booty tells me we’ll learn more over the next 12 months.
(I am pretty sure we will learn more about stuffs from Playground Games and Obsidian before that)
With such a diverse lineup of studios under the team’s belt, both Spencer and Booty identify one painfully absent region: Asia. While the team has been working closely with developers and publishers from Asia to bring new games to the Xbox ecosystem, the leadership team at Xbox doesn’t think it should stop there. “Sure, we could do publishing relationships there, and we might do that; I think that’s fine. In fact, I would suspect we will do some of those,(Mistwalker?? Experience ?? Arzest??)” Spencer says. “But I also think as we continue to evolve our platform, having a first-party studio voice at the table that is from Asia, whether it’s Japan or another market, would be a good add for us.” (White Owl ?? Vahlalla??)
Even with the teams under the Xbox Game Studios umbrella now, Booty says Xbox is aiming high for its output of major titles going forward.
With high hopes established, Xbox is looking toward to its next major leap in technology, for which Spencer has plenty of optimism. “I think now that we’ve grown our first party to where it is today, I feel really good about the strength we have there,” he says. “Obviously, as we go into [the new generation], we have higher aspirations to build a bigger business for the Xbox console business as well, and the team is completely aligned behind doing that.”

Last edited:

Bernkastel

This can only mean one thing.
swery-white-owls.jpg

Its Swery65!!

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

They should have aquired Mistwalker a long time ago to fill in some JRPG gap that they haven't filled in a few years.
I'm listening to The Last Story OST right this moment. Honestly, I think if Mistwalker wanted to they would. But apparently they don't.

Max_Po

Banned
Thanks for closing Bizarre Creations ... Lionhead .... uncompromised 4k Phantom Dust reimagination and Scalebound..

Anyone wanna go a round of pgr3 ...

Bernkastel

Thanks for closing Bizarre Creations ... Lionhead .... uncompromised 4k Phantom Dust reimagination and Scalebound..

Anyone wanna go a round of pgr3 ...
What drug are you on ? Microsoft never owned Bizarre Creations, Activision bought and closed them. Also, Sony closed more studios then Microsoft
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)

Max_Po

Banned
What drug are you on ? Microsoft never owned Bizarre Creations, Activision bought and closed them. Also, Sony closed more studios then Microsoft
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)

Who cares or mentioned SONY ?

Pathetic Insecure jelly exposed....

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Most of those studios aren't good enough to be situated in SONY's lineup.

Bernkastel

Because they contributed significantly unique titles that made MS console stand out on it's own. Scalebound was unique.

Cat n mouse in pgr2 ... fable ... memmories
Broken reply and insistence on Bizarre being a Microsoft studio. I remember everyone saying Scalebound was trash until it was cancelled.
You are implying Sony's closed first party studios didnt do anything significant
989 Studios - Twisted Metal 3/4. Lots of sports games like MLB(upto 2006), NBA 2005, NFL Gameday, NFL Xtreme, NHL FaceOff.
Bigbig Studios - Pursuit Force
Contrail - Lots of PS1 stuff
Evolution Studios - WRC, Motorstorm and Driveclub
Incognito Entertainment - More Twisted Metal stuff
Studio Liverpool - Wipeout
Zipper Interactive - SOCOM
Guerrilla Cambridge - MediEvil
Team Ico - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
Heres what a Zipper Interactive employee says about their closure
If you think SONY is going to listen to the SOCOM community who has already given SONY quite a bit of money, you are mistaken. SONY has moved on (Notice Zipper is gone). They no longer wish to compete with CoD, since CoD already helps sell PS3 units. Look at Hockey, 989 Sports used to make Hockey games, but they stopped, why? They could not touch the competition, so no longer wished to try.

Last edited:

pr0cs

It's crazy to me that people still whine about scalebound, if it sucked why the hell would still want to play it?
Not like there is a shortage of fantastic games out these days, why mourn a turd that even the company didn't believe in

Max_Po

Banned
Broken reply and insistence on Bizarre being a Microsoft studio. I remember everyone saying Scalebound was trash until it was cancelled.
You are implying Sony's closed first party studios didnt do anything significant
989 Studios - Twisted Metal 3/4. Lots of sports games like MLB(upto 2006), NBA 2005, NFL Gameday, NFL Xtreme, NHL FaceOff.
Bigbig Studios - Pursuit Force
Contrail - Lots of PS1 stuff
Evolution Studios - WRC, Motorstorm and Driveclub
Incognito Entertainment - More Twisted Metal stuff
Studio Liverpool - Wipeout
Zipper Interactive - SOCOM
Guerrilla Cambridge - MediEvil
Team Ico - Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
Heres what a Zipper Interactive employee says about their closure

I think, in my responses I never mentioned or ever compared SONY vs MS.

You assumed that I did and made it a fact and started a little console war.

lol, sad.

Bernkastel

I think, in my responses I never mentioned or ever compared SONY vs MS.

You assumed that I did and made it a fact and started a little console war.

lol, sad.
You literally started with console wars post and looking at your post history you want me to conclude that it was legitimate concern? First off you start with Bizarre and never backed down, something only the most blinded fanboy would use as fodder(no seriously, I have never seen anyone use them for console wars), and then you use Scalebound like thats even relevant to a thread Microsoft first party projects and acquisitions. You literally used the same template(and added Bizarre) that everyone uses to derail Xbox threads.

Max_Po

Banned
You literally started with console wars post and looking at your post history you want me to conclude that it was legitimate concern? First off you start with Bizarre and never backed down, something only the most blinded fanboy would use as fodder(no seriously, I have never seen anyone use them for console wars), and then you use Scalebound like thats even relevant to a thread Microsoft first party projects and acquisitions. You literally used the same template(and added Bizarre) that everyone uses to derail Xbox threads.

Keep going, so we all can see how pathetic you really are. He is searching through my post history to convince himself what ever nonsense he is posting is the TRUTH.

Scalebound, Fable Legends, Phantom Dust Re-imagination were all promised as exclusive experiences to XboxOne owners and got dropped.

SB looked amazing what fucking nonsense are you talking about ?

Sacred

I'm excited to see the new Fable, Initiative, Obsidian, and Compulsion's new title. Not to mention, next gen Halo.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
Lmao they havent released a decent original new AAA game in like 10 years and a japanese exclusive in like 15!

Of course they need to shut their fucking mouths and deliver because as we are now the only decent games for their new console in releaae window seems to be again Halo and Forza lol.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Keep going, so we all can see how pathetic you really are. He is searching through my post history to convince himself what ever nonsense he is posting is the TRUTH.

Scalebound, Fable Legends, Phantom Dust Re-imagination were all promised as exclusive experiences to XboxOne owners and got dropped.

SB looked amazing what fucking nonsense are you talking about ?

Lets look at some comments from that video before it was cancelled
"xbonegros are so casual they need a help from dragon to beat the game "
"looks like a ps2 game "
"reason it's Xbone only.... It only works 720p. "
"It looks cheap and terrible and something from 15 years ago. "
"CINEMATIC 15 FRAMES PER SECOND "
"So someone gave Dante a hair cut and gave him a pet dragon........ok. "
""Play AS a Twitch Streamer" is this games logo... Soooooo immersion breaking!!!!!!!!!! Stupid headphones! "
"maybe only year exclusive lol " (replying to someone who said its xbox exclusive)
"maybe only year exclusive lol "
"Of course the headphones are coming in a deal that's why they gave them to the character. Microsoft said give us a item to sell "
"FPS be lower than my expectations for upcoming Bethesda titles"
"it looks super laggy, nothing else "
"Meanwhile Nier ran at 60 since the first trailer and actually has good animations and combos. I' m still exited simply because it's Kamiya, but it feels like Microsfot his holding him back and forcing graphics over actual depth and framerate "
"Looks fun, but WOOOOW is the main character's dialogue/attitude cringeworthy. >_<"
"You're welcome to migrate over to PS4 for greatness and RPGs. "
""pre-alpha gameplay" Lmao, nice marketing. "
"is it even 30 fps ?"
"Silky smooth 15 fps and 720p. nice. "
"Great I can be a douche with beat headphones listening to whinny rock music while the better character flies around in the background."
"Meanwhile Nier Automata plays great, with smooth framerate and good graphics, and most of all it plays like a Platinum game. This game doesn't even look like a platinum game, this game is a huge pile of mess. 😏 "
"that 2 fps tho "
"beautiful 20 frames per second. Amazing unsynchronized audi and movement. 10/10 GOTY "
"What is that? 8fps? "
"my eyes can't handle this fps "
"Of course he's wearing headphones. Jeez. "
"Is it 20 fps? "
"Xbox One does one thing.... it plays television really well... "
"wow this game 10 fps because very slow "
"It looks like it's playing at 15fps. Wtf..."
"I mean, if I had to choose between this or Horizon, I would get horizon ... "
"I don't want the "tude", the headphones and the "cool" music... NOT epic. Doesn't match. "
"Emo dante joins lost planet "
"Looks like a cheesy and overpowered (with pet dragon) version of Final Fantasy 15. "
"them framerate drops "
"The combos look so boring... Take some inspiration from DMC or GOW will you?"
"B. O. R. I. N. G "
"The concept of this game looks like it was written by a 10 year old. "
"what i dont get is if you have no interest in scalebound or xbox..why are you here watching the video and leaving a comment...are people really that insecure "
"i swear this comment section is cancer, are you all seriously arguing about which console has better games? grow up"
"You can tell the actor is a straight up white boy. "
"the main guy. It looks like he was made specifically for white males, age 10, who do nothing but drink Dew & much ritos all day, think staying up to 11pm on school nights is "wicked-sick," and are about to go through a rebelious stage. I hope we don't have to be this prick who litterally jumped right out of 2002. "
"I'm not going to lie this doesn't impress me at all. The Devil May Cry series has better gameplay then this. This looks like a game Nintendo would make. Definitely not worth buying an Xbox one for, they should put this on PC that way they can at least get this game to sell properly."
"This is terrible when compared to Horizon zero dawn.. LO "
"Yeah, should've bought a PS4...."
"The game is so choppy "
"This looks bad. :-( "
""go over there" 5 hours into this game I'll smash my tv I hate repetitive voice commands"
"dear god, that xbone signature 15 fps is giving me headache just from watching this "
"bad grafic style, lookliike action figure"
"looks like the whole game is on some slowmotion mode "
"The best part was when the main character stopped talking. "
"The world doesn't look impressive at all. It's like they put a lot of effort in the combat graphics and forgot about the environment "
"this game looks so... dull? uninspired? boring? "
"So can i have a manly sword instead of that toothpick? "
"cracka anime got it... pretty lame "
"30 fps lock and dropping heavily.. "
"the main character seems so douchey and grating. He's trying to be hip and witty and laid back, but it's just so forced and stale. Ugh, just kill me. "
"22 ~ 18 fps what the hell "
"Framerate bound "
"Here's a dragon to ride! Oh wait, you can only ride him in cut scenes or traveling to next level. LAME AF "
"Looks very slow. What are you doing Platinum..? A game for grandmas? Also, framerate better be 60 constant and not that horrible slideshow. "
"that frame rate "
"Compare this to Horizon Zero Dawn. Shocking. "
"How does platinum games make a game slower than devil may cry 1 "
"Uncharted I chose Youuuu! xD "
"Wow, Pokemon has taken a big step! "
"has a dragon but walks everywhere Genius "
"They should call this game 5fps bound lol! "
"the frame rate is too low "
"Rip Fps ^^ who agree "
"Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. .. end of story... "
"Looks boring"
"What's with the horrible fps..? o_O "
"Glorious cinematic 15 FPS "
"Not for me, I'll pass on this one. "
"A headset while fighting? What is this BS? "
"5 ps per second "(5 Playstation per second ????)
"Horrendous frame rate and slow, simplistic combat aside, (I know it's only pre-alpha so these will naturally change after release) why are we seeing such an increase in generic, edgy, pseudo-hip protagonists these days..? Almost every word that came out of that character's mouth was painful and cringe worthy. And the dubstep battle music didn't help any. I blame Microsoft studios for this one. I can't imagine Platinum Games trying to appeal to such a demographic. I.E., The couple hundred 15 year olds that may arbitrarily decide to pick this game up one day. RIP. "
"Ugh, this turns me off in the worst way. It definitely feels like an XOne exclusive. "(He means its crap so Xbox deserves it)
"That "Music" is horrendous. "
And a few newer ones
"My favorite part about this game is that it looks like it's running at 10fps"
"discount nero headphones and everything lmao"
"No wonder this was cancelled, it looks dreadful. "(this one is actually recent)
"Running at glorious 20 frames per second! "
"The frame rate is so bad... I know it's pre-alpha footage, but I'd rather see bad graphics and high frame rate lol. "
"15 fps "
Lets be honest. Everyone hated it until it got cancelled, then it became the best game ever. This was even more apparent in IGN's Scalebound announceent video, unfortunately they deleted it(I posted some comments here in a Neogaf thread last year when the video was still up. This make me remember another Xbox One stigma -Xbox is weak! (now it has become graphics dont matter)

Last edited:
Lets look at some comments from that video before it was cancelled

And a few newer ones

Lets be honest. Everyone hated it until it got cancelled, then it became the best game ever. This was even more apparent in IGN's Scalebound announceent video, unfortunately they deleted it(I posted some comments here in a Neogaf thread last year when the video was still up. This make me remember another Xbox One stigma -Xbox is weak! (now it has become graphics dont matter)
It's called the dynamic goal post syndrome. It guarantees you will never win against those afflicted with this terrible terrible disease.

Bernkastel

lol no. just look at the drones defending whatever shit decisions ms makes. hope you guys enjoy halo, gears and forza for the next 20 years.
Why do you think there are so many new studios(one of them already showed a new game) ? I honestly think TC should move to something else after Gears 6(there have been many rumours about another IP from them). But not halo lol, its not a game, its a religion.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One think I like to see is Xbox get the games that are already available in other platforms, for example Dragon Quest XI is on PS4, PC and Switch but not on Xbox One, why? SE does release games on Xbox like FFXV and KHIII but not DQ. I'm also surprised why original Valkyria Chronicles still not on Xbox even tho the 4th is.

Bernkastel

One think I like to see is Xbox get the games that are already available in other platforms, for example Dragon Quest XI is on PS4, PC and Switch but not on Xbox One, why? SE does release games on Xbox like FFXV and KHIII but not DQ. I'm also surprised why original Valkyria Chronicles still not on Xbox even tho the 4th is.
Probably it will, eventually. There was more demand for Kingdom Hearts, so it happened first.

Bernkastel

I guess they really meant Itagaki(and Swery65) when they said Asian studios.

Last edited:

Panaphonics

Banned

there is just no demand for it. DQ is boring af IMHO. I have a switch and stopped playing after like 30 minutes. Meh.

Exactly. There's an appetite for JRPGs on the XBox consoles, and frankly, some of the best RPGs from the previous generation (including *THE* best JRPG and Final Fantasy game that wasn't named Final Fantasy) were on the 360.

Some of this is going to be console sales and audience numbers, and some of this is going to be Microsoft courting Japanese developers to port their titles (or make it easy to port from PC to XBox One/XSX). We're already seeing this happen with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy--now we just need the niche titles, like Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest, Persona, etc.

Ten_Fold

I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, best jrpg from last gen imo. I even enjoyed the other jrpgs (blue dragon, infinite undiscovery) somewhat. They made a good attempt last gen. I want to see a big ARPG from Mistwalker.

Stare-Bear

Banned
It feels like 2013 all over again...

Lets hope they have fantastic first party lineup and something else than shooters.

Bernkastel

It feels like 2013 all over again...

Lets hope they have fantastic first party lineup and something else than shooters.
Is this a joke ? So, far Halo Infinite, Hellblade II, Flight Simulator, Project Mara, Everwild, Medium and Scorn(before the actual reveal event), and only one of them is shooter. The shooter tag does not even apply much to the Xbox One generation but mostly at the Xbox 360.

Top Bottom