• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty on Forza Reboot: "It’s amazing. It’s going to, again, reset the high bar for what simulation and competitive racing games can be."

Airbus Jr

Banned
this is getting boring now...

how many forza game do you need?

just made one and support it through entire gen...make more events.....tournaments...prizes....keep the community alive so people keep coming back....

Last edited:
Yeah it did multiple times 😆

No, it never did. For simulators there were constant other titles that shat all over Forza. IRACING, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo on consoles - Forza never was better than any in the simulation department. Even for arcade/simcade, there were constantly other, better racers out during that time. Forza always was a jack of all trades, master of none ever since its inception.

It's because Matt has an enormous, titanic sized company backing him and his projects, but we get mediocre products like Halo Infinte and State of Decay 3, safe or lower budget games like Gears 5 and Grounded, and games announced with CGI trailers that still don't have a release date years later like Hellblade II, Avowed, Fable, and Everwild.

Matt Booty runs XGS like its a double A studio and not like a world class, bleeding edge behemoth that it should be. He is a disservice to the talent at Xbox and should be tossed out posthaste.

No, they *should* be run like a AA studio. AA games tend to have more risks taken, focus on gameplay and unique elements, while having a lot of variety in what they can create.

Instead, Matt Booty/Phil Spencer/whomever is leading this shitfest is treating the XGS like AAA while managing them like an alcoholic Father. Fucking terribly. AAA games almost universally are trash these days because they refuse to take risks, focus on pushing MTX and GAAS design, or use the most shallow/barebones gameplay systems with a focus on graphical fidelity and animations because the greater public have brains the size of peas.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No, it never did. For simulators there were constant other titles that shat all over Forza. IRACING, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo on consoles - Forza never was better than any in the simulation department. Even for arcade/simcade, there were constantly other, better racers out during that time. Forza always was a jack of all trades, master of none ever since its inception.
song GIF

GustavoLT

Xbox Series X (my thoughts)

4k 60 - no rt, reduced details
1440p - no rt, max details
1440p 60 - rt, reduced details
1080p 60 - rt, max details

Ray-tracing is the lamest new feature of the last 10 years.

Wow, the puddles have reflections. Who gives a shit.
My dude, this profile picture took me many years back when I had more "spicy" hobby and there was an obnoxious member in a forum who pretended that he was with the members side but he was a promoter. (Like some here with Sony/Xbox) but at least he was "eating" good.

i'm excited for the new forza. it's my favourite car game. F7 is quite dated now. still good to play but i want new cars and better visuals.

Belthazar

Reboot? What is there to reboot? It's a freaking car game. I swear, execs/devs just use those those buzzwords without even thinking of the meaning nowadays.

0neAnd0nly

Might want to take this up with the people who review games, then. From Metacritic, The Forza Motorsport games have been the highest rated sim racers since 2010 at least. And it’s not even close.

While I actually enjoy Forza… a good bit.

It’s definitely an arcade / sim mixed game. Not full simulation.

I’m a car guy, have been building race cars since 2003/2004, so I play / have played many as it is a nice virtual additive to my hobby.

I wouldn’t expect meta critic to understand that, or most reviewers …

But that isn’t a knock. Forza is a fun package that does a lot right. I don’t consider the mainline series fully arcade or anything, but I don’t really consider it fully sim either… by a good bit.

Just putting that out there from my perspective. Can’t speak for the people quoted.

Yeah, I thought reboots were for games undergoing mechanics upheavals.

Which is what's happening?

Don't forget N64 cardboard trees.

Dreamcast, too much detail for N64.

Once upon a time stuff like Zelda II was normal. Now just to get a racing game back in gear we need a reboot.

No it wasn't, what are you talking about? Sequels weren't radically different form the original game like Zelda 2.

yeah because ign's and co. know shit about sim racing

Even the racing sims that count how many lines are on the road, and whether a tree branch causes realistic spin, speaking about tire grip gave Forza higher marks.

lol wow man I can't believe you edited my quote. Don't really want to address the rest of your post after tomfoolerly like that come on.

You listed what you think a reboot would entail, and I showed that Forza met one of the criteria you listed.

Also Zelda II wasn't normal. Sequels weren't radically different than their predecessors in most cases, that was rare. instead developers would branch out in more genres more either with spin-offs or new IP.

Probably my most anticipated game from a fidelity point of view. This will be the first game on a engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the Xbox Series X and the new DX12 Ultimate extensions.
It is also going to be amazing for the Forza MS vs GT7 comparison threads.

JackMcGunns

You think Xbox will have RT everywhere at 60fps 4K?
I don’t, that’ll be on PC, and even that might be tricky.

Remember when native 4K was supposed to be impossible on Xbox One X other than on simple arcade games or games like Ori, then along came Red Dead Redemption, one of the most ambitious games graphically and still delivered 4K. The reason I mention this is because you just don't know. Let's see.

skit_data

I still think this whole ”Ray-tracing on track” sounds a bit wierd, but I’ll be the first one to be very impressed if they pull it off.
I mean, Insomniac managed to pull off 4k ~40-50 fps with RT in Spider-Man on PS5 so I wouldn’t say it’s out of question that there’s enough headroom in a close circuit racer with a slightly bigger GPU on Series X.

CeeJay

I still think this whole ”Ray-tracing on track” sounds a bit wierd, but I’ll be the first one to be very impressed if they pull it off.
I mean, Insomniac managed to pull off 4k ~40-50 fps with RT in Spider-Man on PS5 so I wouldn’t say it’s out of question that there’s enough headroom in a close circuit racer with a slightly bigger GPU on Series X.
Turn 10 kept getting asked the same thing and we ended up with that weird statement, it went something like this;

Turn 10: FM is 4K/60 with RT!
Warriors: Ah but is that just in Forza Vista Mode?

Turn10: No This is during races too!
Warriors: Ah but is that just in replays?

Turn10: Look, this is getting stupid, IF YOU ARE ON THE TRACK THEN ITS GOT RT FFS!
Warriors: That's a weird statement...

Turn 10 kept getting asked the same thing and we ended up with that weird statement, it went something like this;

Turn 10: FM is 4K/60 with RT!
Warriors: Ah but is that just in Forza Vista Mode?

Turn10: No This is during races too!
Warriors: Ah but is that just in replays?

Turn10: Look, this is getting stupid, IF YOU ARE ON THE TRACK THEN ITS GOT RT FFS!
Warriors: That's a weird statement...

Pretty much. Turn 10 and Playground have been the most consistent devs at Xbox, so it never made sense to be so skeptical of their claims.

Top Bottom