• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty (Xbox): No next gen exclusives for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunthunt

Banned
This is one of the many reasons I give MS my money over PlayStation.
They keep supporting their legacy products after the new one launches, unlike their competitors. They prioritize backward compatibility and don’t force people to buy their new stuff. I can play BLOPS 2 online with my Xbox One, or play Forza Horizon 2 online while you wont even be able to play Driveclub online anymore after March. Pretty stark contrast. They care about their customers more than Sony or Nintendo do, and decisions like this are proof of that. Even Nintendo released BotW on the Wii U, because they knew it’d be a bloodbath if they cancelled it and moved it to the Switch. You can’t screw over your most loyal fans.

We all know Xbox has had some issues this gen. We also know that they’ve done everything they could in the past couple years to build up some good will with their fans and owners of the Xbox One. They can’t just leave Xbox One customers in the cold when the games do finally start coming. That would undermine everything they’ve tried to do the past couple years.

Xbox keeps making the right moves.

Thats pretty easy to do when you have released zero new AAA franchises in like 15 years like Microsoft does lmao

lock2k

Banned
I think you are delusional if you think the PS5 isn't launching with PS5-only games.

Who even wants that? You just bought a brand new next gen system for a reason, and it wasn't to be limited to what was possible in the previous generation.

That's true.

I'll only buy a new Xbox when they have a new game that interests me and that only runs on that specific console. If I can run a new game on my old console, I'll stick to that.

Just in time for a juicy price cut.
A lot of the newly acquired studios need some time to develop their games, 3 years from now for Scarlett exclusive games seems reasonable.

Dabaus

Banned
Reading between the lines here it sounds like MS isnt actually READY for next gen on the software side but NEED to release hardware to have something to market to consumers. I really think Project Scorpio did set them back a year but are going to rush ahead with Scarlett regardless. Software it sounds like MS new studios arent quite there yet. And in regards to still hanging on to last gen, it seems to me that Papa Microsoft isnt ready to let the basketcase trust fund child (xbox division) off the leash quite yet, despite what Phil would have you believe. Phil claims he sits at the big boys table now but in reality hes the baby in the baby seat with tomato sauce on the bib and crud in diaper still.

Matt Booty......Play UP and DOWN.......THAT BOOTY GONNA BOUNCE UP AND DOWN FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
kttcolidamn

MS release all their games on PC, just like every third party publisher out there.

Minimum specs of 8 fast CPU cores and NVMe SSD won't be widespread enough to justify cutting off most of the Gamepass buying public. That'll take a couple of years. Mid range quad cores and mechanical drives for game installs have a couple of years left as essential-to-support hardware.

Same on console - MS need to move their subscriber base across, so they need to support X1 until at least Xmas 2021. This will be the same for the vast, vast majority of 3rd party games.

2022 is when current gen really starts to get dropped.

At least now we can move beyond the fallacious "MS sed all Scarlett games will work on X1 forever" crap that clickbait fakenews problogs were pushing, and that morons were gobbling up regurgitating over gaming forums.

AlexxKidd

I used those examples because they are some of the best looking and selling games that helped sell consoles. I didn't hear of too many people lining up to get the a PS4 for Knack or Killzone. However, there were tons of people waiting to play COD Ghost that wasn't exclusive to the new hardware. But if you think Resistance helped Sony sell systems at launch of the PS3.... Then you are rewriting history. PS3 sells didn't really pick up until they started dropping the price and switching to the slim version. But yeah, those exclusive games really sold hardware... Get out of there.

You have no point. Third parties will do what third parties do. Microsoft has said they will make no next gen exclusives for their XBSX for two years. Microsoft, like Sony, is a console-maker. You can provide me no example of Sony making no exclusives for their next gen hardware for two years. In fact, every Sony system has launched with exclusives either created or funded by Sony. Stop acting like you don't understand the issue, you don't fool me.

stitch1

My point is new, more powerful hardware and a wide verify of games sell consoles. Exclusives help but aren't the only reason people buy new consoles. If exclusives sold systems on their own the Wii U would have been a huge success.

Journey

Banned
When you really think about it, first generation games never really took full advantage of consoles at launch, so what would be the point of making those games to only work with the newly launched platform? Call of Duty 2 for Xbox 360 could've easily been made for Xbox without compromising the 360 version, but for me, the most amazing thing about CoD 2 when I played it for the first time on Xbox 360 was how crisp it looked on those 720p LCD they had in their Kiosks and how smooth the reticle moved, the animation, the smoke grenades filling the screen with fog. I would want to buy a 360 to experience that even if it were available to play in some inferior way on the OG Xbox, and as we can clearly tell by the way the generation progressed and the subsequent Call of Duty games, CoD 2 did not even scratch the surface in terms of what developers ended up doing with 360/PS3 hardware.

Same with Xbox One, people were worried about Forza Horizon 2 being on both 360 and Xbox One, meanwhile Horizon 2 on Xbox One still looked amazing and subsequently we ended up getting Horizon 3 later and it felt like a natural progression in graphics.

This is a "Gamers Win" scenario, you're not getting a sleezeball company forcing you to buy an Xbox Series X in order to play the next Halo, but I'm sure that after seeing how beautiful it runs on XSX and PC, you're either going to want to upgrade your gaming PC or buy an Xbox Series X, and if you're the type that doesn't care about these things, than you can happily play it on your Xbox One X or S, everyone wins and it's a beautiful thing.

3rd-party games will be all nextgen, so Microsoft isn't losing anything.

This is just the same strategy I expect Nintendo to follow with Switch 2: All (most) 1st-party run on both Switch 2 and Switch 1. When Switch 3 launches, Switch 1-support ends. That way you have a healthy balance between Technological progress and reasonable userbase.

Always reseting to zero isn't a good business strategy.

ZywyPL

Banned
This is one of the many reasons I give MS my money over PlayStation.
They keep supporting their legacy products after the new one launches, unlike their competitors. They prioritize backward compatibility and don’t force people to buy their new stuff. I can play BLOPS 2 online with my Xbox One, or play Forza Horizon 2 online while you wont even be able to play Driveclub online anymore after March. Pretty stark contrast. They care about their customers more than Sony or Nintendo do, and decisions like this are proof of that. Even Nintendo released BotW on the Wii U, because they knew it’d be a bloodbath if they cancelled it and moved it to the Switch. You can’t screw over your most loyal fans.

We all know Xbox has had some issues this gen. We also know that they’ve done everything they could in the past couple years to build up some good will with their fans and owners of the Xbox One. They can’t just leave Xbox One customers in the cold when the games do finally start coming. That would undermine everything they’ve tried to do the past couple years.

Xbox keeps making the right moves.

You either started gaming just yesterday or Alzheimer is your best buddy. MS used to completely abandon their user base, literally within next sunrise. Just as every single company in the world, they are pro-consumer only because they have to, but once such companies get fully ahead they won't hesitate to screw you up at first opportunity and squeeze every single penny from your wallet. After all that's the sole reason they exist, to make money, not to suck your dick.

But then again, I completely understand their strategy/approach, basically everyone on this planet (except all those dumb kids with their console wars) understands that 60$ is the same as, well, another 60$! And another 60. And another one. And so on. EA or Ubi don't give a damn on which hardware you play, so why should MS if it will only bring them more cash? Hell, at this point MS is in fact the most valuable company on the whole planet, they sure do know how to make money, shitloads of it.

My point is new, more powerful hardware and a wide verify of games sell consoles. Exclusives help but aren't the only reason people buy new consoles. If exclusives sold systems on their own the Wii U would have been a huge success.

Nintendo doesn't have the games the vast majority actually wants to play - CoD, Fifa, Assasin, GTA etc., that's its main problem. And that's the same reason most people who but Nintendo systems are the ones, who already own a Playstation or an Xbox. And that's also exactly rhe reason Nintendo is going their separate route, as they know well they will lure the PS/XB user base later in the generation anyway, instead of being 3rd player that has to share the cake,

When you really think about it, first generation games never really took full advantage of consoles at launch [...]

Historically yes, when the consoles had all those exotic architectures never seen before, but since PS4/XB1 the consoles are literally based on PC architecture, the devs already have the engines and tools, and if you compare their launch titles with today's games, there isn't as dramatic difference as it used to be in all the previous generations, if any - Killzone doesn't look any worse than modern CoD or BC, Ryse still holds up pretty damn good and looks like it was released just yesterday, same for Infamous, TO1886, and so on, as well as all the 3rd party franchises barely differ throughout the generation.

Last edited:

vkbest

The games that show off the new hardware is what gets the boxes in homes. Horizon 2 won't be on PS4

You are supposing Sony will be able to produce so many consoles for games such as Horizon 2 be profitable. I can see games such as Bloodborne 2, Gran Turismo 7, Demons souls remake at full exclusivity on launch date. But I have doubts about God of war or Horizon 2

stitch1

I would be pretty surprised if God of War or Horizon were launch titles. Gran Turismo is a good possibility. But Sony did say they wanted to convert PS4 owners over to the PS5 quicker than previous generations.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you started last month, $50 saved a month will be more than enough to buy both consoles at launch. Just sayin. that's what I'm doing

This happens every generation. Destiny was on PS3 and Xbox 360.... GTA5 was on both, Skyrim... the list goes on. Same thing happened the gen before with games like Burnout. There are a lot of people that already own PS4 and XBO. They aren't all buying new systems on launch day. There's not enough to go around even if they wanted to.
Yeah but that's Third Party, not First.

This is kind of unprecedented, and part of me also wonders how much of it is so they can hit those crazy high resolutions and framerates they're bragging about... using games made to play on last gen hardware.

Banned
Yeah but that's Third Party, not First.

This is kind of unprecedented, and part of me also wonders how much of it is so they can hit those crazy high resolutions and framerates they're bragging about... using games made to play on last gen hardware.

I think they just know that first party games are never actually the reason people buy new consoles.

the most popular games during the launch this gen all were cross generation 3rd party games... some didn't even look or run that much better on this gen compared to last gen (Call of Duty Ghosts for example)

and again, they have to support PC aswell and on PC you can't have minimum specs in the range of an RTX2080 and a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU

I bet they know that the first year of games also run on PCs that are in the power range of the Xbox One, and after that they will target higher specs.
so why not support the old systems as long as that is possible

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
This is a fantastic strategy IMO. It could fail? Yes, as anything thats new in life. But the idea of not letting previous gen owners behind looks like a really smart move.
The key will be how they execute it. If new first party games on Series X dont look limited , or look par to par with Sony's ones, and they are able to back port it to Xbox One family, then this is going to be a win win scenario.

JLB

Banned
The last PS4 first-party release is Ghost.
After that every AAA first-party game will be PS5 only.

That is how Sony makes money with both hardware and software sales.... one push the other.

People needs to stop that ideia that because MS do something Sony will do too lol
Sony has it own plans not related with what plans MS has.

Well, thats not entirely confirmed as far as I can tell. If im not wrong, the only next gen game announced from Sony is Godfall. Do we know if that game wont be cross gen?
I mean, Sony should probably be more interested than MS to make a strategy like this, they have 106M PS4 users.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, thats not entirely confirmed as far as I can tell. If im not wrong, the only next gen game announced from Sony is Godfall. Do we know if that game wont be cross gen?
I mean, Sony should probably be more interested than MS to make a strategy like this, they have 106M PS4 users.
God Fall is PS5 and Epic Store only.
No cross-gen at least at launch... after I don’t know why it can be timed-exclusive to PS5 and EGS.

Last edited:
God Fall is PS5 and Epic Store only.
No cross-gen at least at launch... after I don’t know why it can be timed-exclusive to PS5.

So it'll scale down to run on PCs with lower core counts and slower storage than PS5. So you're not getting the "PS5 pushing exclusive" you might think you are.

So much of this is about perception and not about reality.

stitch1

So far we have seen Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2. Neither looks held back. On the Sony side we have seen Godfall and um.....?

As someone that enjoys Halo games, I am looking forward to playing day one without all the hassle of standing in line for a launch console. I can still jump in and start playing on my current X1X and wait for the next gen to be delivered to my door. :) Also, this means I can move my current X1X to another room in my house and not make it become useless dust collector.

I see no downside in this for me.

stitch1

In a lot of ways I think the next gen has already started. Look at Control or the new COD. While both are pretty nice as they are today on consoles. I think they will look WAY better once we have the hardware to take full advantage of them. Kind of like how GTA5 looked great on the 360/PS3 but was a HUGE jump when it came to PS4/XB1. Also, a cross platform game that wasn't really held back by the weaker systems.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So hang about... everybody keeps telling the old jolly that MS only make about 5 games in decade, you know, because they have no games.

So now, those five games will not only look amazing, but also play on older machines.

And all third party games can essentially do what they want and still look incredible.

And you have your pants in a twist again... because of those couple of games... that you won’t play anyway. And even then it’s only for like 2 years tops. So same as the last gen, and likely what Sony will do, because they aren’t thick. Ok.

Awesome. Got it. No, I’m clear now. Makes sense. I’m also pissed off that the Greggs near me are not stocking the vegan sausage rolls. I don’t eat them and never would. But you know, outrage etc.

Last edited:

Ellery

You don't seem to worry about your PC games being dragged down by having to run on 5 year old PCs.
You shouldn't worry about your PC games being dragged down by the original xbox one.

In a way you are right. (but that analogy is far from perfect, because depending on what you buy a 5 year old PC might not even run a newer game. Like take a midrange PC from 2015 with like a GTX 960 2GB and try to run Cyberpunk 2077 with RTX on that. Not possible. I am not even sure it you could play it at all with that card)

It is a new situation, because the new consoles will be much more like an Xbox One X X or PS4 Pro Pro. It is much closer to upgrading or buying a new PC.

We will get multigenerational games this year anyway. Happened with the PS3 -> PS4 and Xbox 360 -> Xbox One aswell. Especially the annual multiplats will be hold back by this. Thankfully I don't care much about those.
Some AC and CoD games really looked like last gen games with higher resolution in 2013/2014.

I just hope the big games. Like the real BIG games will be for next gen only, but I don't expect those for 2020 anyways. Lets say the next God of War would be a disappointment if it came to PS4 + PS5.

Bummer about Halo Infinite tho.

Last edited:

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Consumer wise, this is a very stupid decision and makes me no interested at all in xbox SeX.
PS5 will haver best looking exclusives, while SeX will have upgraded xbone games.
Xbox developers will develope games on Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, hundrends of PC configuration.
PS developers will make games on PS5 only. Easy win for Sony .

So there is no reason really to upgrade from my X when the next gen starts unless a bitchin third party game comes along thats next gen :pie_thinking:

Guess the X will hold its value well when i sell it to buy the series x.

Ten_Fold

Man that sucks, but they just got those studios so it will take time. If Sony comes with some cool ps5 exclusives that's NOT a walking simulator then I'll go with them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
From MCVUK:

Are you worried about this strategy? Or is Xbox making a smart move?

This is the smartphone like strategy that leaves HW under utilised until it reaches critical mass and then oops we have new HW to sell you. Designed to keep you locked in and always updating. To me it means I am buying HW based more on potential than how it is used. At least Apple offers a lot of exclusive features and sometimes apps in their phone refreshes and just because if works for them and Samsung, it does not mean it can easily extend elsewhere... hopefully!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Man that sucks, but they just got those studios so it will take time. If Sony comes with some cool ps5 exclusives that's NOT a walking simulator then I'll go with them.

Hellblade series is as much a walking simulator (let's stop using this crap term please :/) as U4 is... which means neither is really. Let's drop that :p.

This is the smartphone like strategy that leaves HW under utilised until it reaches critical mass and then oops we have new HW to sell you. Designed to keep you locked in and always updating. To me it means I am buying HW based more on potential than how it is used. At least Apple offers a lot of exclusive features and sometimes apps in their phone refreshes and just because if works for them and Samsung, it does not mean it can easily extend elsewhere... hopefully!

It's only for a year or so though. And those of us in PC land live with this on an ongoing basis. And Gamepass has to coexist with PC, of course....

(I actually kinda like seeing how far old PC hardware can be pushed, in a weird way. Have recently alternated between a 680 2GB and a 760 4GB - it's amazing just how far games can scale down and still look good!).

kungfuian

The PC market already shows us how this plays out. If given the choice developers generally design games based on the most common hardware with the ability to scale them up or down. Games are made based on the largest addressable market/sales verses raw performance.

But on PC devs have the freedom to select where they set minimum specs. So if they want to make a Star Citizen they can. If Microsoft mandates this cross compatibility restriction to their first party developers it will increase sales/subscriptions for a time, but it will also very much restrict the creators by tying them to the old hardware base. Bottom line devs are not going to make games that are designed to take full advantage of the XSEX if tethered to the old X1.

Call me crazy but when I buy a new machine I don't want only scalable/cross gen games with some resolution bumps and better filtering here and there. At least some games being made should be pushing the boundaries of the new tech; games so amazing that they can't possibly be made or scaled down to prior gens, the type of games where the developers say the old hardware would have compromised their vision. As platform holders it's on Sony and Microsoft to lead the way and make these types of games and drive the industry forward.

Psykodad

Banned
So it'll scale down to run on PCs with lower core counts and slower storage than PS5. So you're not getting the "PS5 pushing exclusive" you might think you are.

So much of this is about perception and not about reality.
If we're gonna talk about perception, the perception for XSX could be that it has no games because everything is just up-ressed current-gen games.

That's how it worked since last-gen, right?
Seem that only the exclusives count, unless the platform of your choice doesn't have them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's only for a year or so though. And those of us in PC land live with this on an ongoing basis. And Gamepass has to coexist with PC, of course....

(I actually kinda like seeing how far old PC hardware can be pushed, in a weird way. Have recently alternated between a 680 2GB and a 760 4GB - it's amazing just how far games can scale down and still look good!).

I can appreciate it, but those on PC land have an open platform they can swap parts on their own, you can buy whichever part at the price that suits you, you can configure games, mod them even...
That strategy in a closed locked down box, IMHO, means one thing: higher ASP, higher margins, and lesser use of the HW powering it (on PC you have lots of people modding the platform and creating licensed and unlicenced content).

I still have yet to see a better model than console generations (with BC) for locked down gamign boxes :). This is not IMHO :p.

stitch1

Man you all worry way too much about this stuff. Look at Red Dead 2 on Xbox One hardware and then compare it to Xbox One X hardware. I don't see where the older hardware is holding it back. I can see where the current CPU hardware holds it back though. So the next gen systems are only going to be limited by their own hardware. Just as they always are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom