• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty (Xbox): No next gen exclusives for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

nani17

are in a big trouble
This is an absolute joke to have a new system without any exclusives at launch and so many in here and making excuses. It has always been about new console new exclusive it has been that way since day one and this is fucking stupid.

Microsoft: Hey we got a new console

Gamer: cool can't wait to play a new Halo

Microsoft: Eh no its not coming out till later

Gamer: That's OK I can play Forza or maybe a new IP"

Microsoft: Nope

Last edited:

stitch1

In that first year of PS4 games. Remind me again what the REALLY good ones were? Knack and Killzone? Really? Come on. Most people were playing Resogun and third party cross platform games. Things didn't get much better until the Last of us remaster and Infamous came out... A year later.

ZywyPL

Banned
From the article,

I think what they will do is implement dynamic resolution in their games and call it a day. So sure, even the base XB1 will indeed play the new titles, but at 900/800/720/600/540, still with not-so-stabe framerate because of the CPU bottleneck, and those people will either have to accept the fact they are playing on a decade old hardware and that's what they'll get, or jump onto a newer one, be it the new X, the Lockhart, or 1X if it will still be available.

Journey

Banned
Consumer wise, this is a very stupid decision and makes me no interested at all in xbox SeX.
PS5 will haver best looking exclusives, while SeX will have upgraded xbone games.
Xbox developers will develope games on Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, hundrends of PC configuration.
PS developers will make games on PS5 only. Easy win for Sony .

Were people not interested in Xbox One X just because they can play those same games on Xbox One base?

I'll be playing Halo Infinite on Xbox Series X on my shiny new 75" OLED 4K TV, better believe it, I'm going to experience it that way. I have a gaming PC with an Intel 4th gen Core i5 and a Geforce 1050 TI, no way in hell it's going to outperform XSX, so that's my next upgrade.

Journey

Banned
This is an absolute joke to have a new system without any exclusives at launch and so many in here and making excuses. It has always been about new console new exclusive it has been that way since day one and this is fucking stupid.

"Hey we got a new console"

"Cool can't wait to play a new Halo"

"Eh not its not coming out till later"

That's OK I can play Forza or maybe a new IP"

"Nope"

You're not making any sense.

Cool, can't wait to play the new Halo.... Holy fucking bananas! 4K 60fps! HDR and RayTracing!!.... Ah MY EYES, it's so beautiful!!

tenor.gif

Psykodad

Banned
In that first year of PS4 games. Remind me again what the REALLY good ones were? Knack and Killzone? Really? Come on. Most people were playing Resogun and third party cross platform games. Things didn't get much better until the Last of us remaster and Infamous came out... A year later.
Infamous came out after 4 months, in march. That's still a release-window title.

TLOU Remaster came out 8 months after PS4's release.

Driveclub in october, still within the first year.

It's not much, but it's better than only cross-gen games.

Edit:

Here's the thing though, is XSX lack of next-gen exclusives a good thing, while a handfull exclusives for PS4 in the first year was a bad thing?

Last edited:

sendit

PS4 release date: November 15, 2013
Infamous release date: March 21, 2014
Last of Us Remasted release date: July 29, 2014

Not sure if we both agree on how many days a year is.

stitch1

Infamous came out after 4 months, in march. That's still a release-window title.

TLOU Remaster came out 8 months after PS4's release.

Driveclub in october, still within the first year.

It's not much, but it's better than only cross-gen games.
So you are saying a Remaster and Infamous are your shining stars within the first year that made you run out to buy a PS4?

Driveclub was an absolute mess when it launched.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

"Hey we got a new console"

"Cool can't wait to play a new Halo"

"Eh not its not coming out till later"

That's OK I can play Forza or maybe a new IP"

"Nope"

From how I see it this is more about stopping those false points of demarcation than it is about siloed exclusives. In a world where Switch is getting Witcher 3 and Doom on a system like it is, there is no excuse not to put everything you have on any system that can run it effectively. The Xbox One X doesn't all of a sudden turn to dogshit because the Series X is out.

stitch1

Let's be honest, a lot of people bought a PS4 either for Destiny or COD. Or you can make a case for some other third party cross platform game. At least that was the case for the first year or so. Sony wasn't exactly pushing out the hottest exclusives right out the gate. But like Soapbox Killer said you might as well put your games on anything that can run them. It's win win for everyone.

Psykodad

Banned
So you are saying a Remaster and Infamous are your shining stars within the first year that made you run out to buy a PS4?

Driveclub was an absolute mess when it launched.
I edited my post:

Here's the thing though, is XSX lack of next-gen exclusives a good thing, while a handfull exclusives for PS4 in the first year was a bad thing?

Nobody is going to claim each of those games were instant classics, but KZSF and Infamous were definitely perfect "tech-demoes" for PS4.
Especially since there had been claims for months that PS4 would never be able to run the games in real-time at those graphics.

Driveclub was a mess indeed, but it wasn't a bad game and it looked good.

TLOU Remaster was just that.

The bolded is a key element here:
It took away a lot of doubts and it's hard to argue that at the time those two games were great technical showcases.
That"s what you need exclusives for, to show off why you should by the newest console. Which typically wouldn't be "the same games as on your old console, but shinier".

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Were people not interested in Xbox One X just because they can play those same games on Xbox One base?
Nope, the only info we got is that 20% of ps sold consoles are pro. I think the same goes for xbox one x.

'll be playing Halo Infinite on Xbox Series X on my shiny new 75" OLED 4K TV, better believe it, I'm going to experience it that way.
Good for you, but you could play Halo 5 with much better graphics if it wouldn't be hold by shitty xbone hardware. I mean, the trailer looks like a regular current gen game, nothing outstanding.

Let me ask you this, as you are going to buy SeX .
What would you prefer
1) A 10/10 looking Halo game, true next-gen, but it would be available only on xbox series,
or
2) A 7/10 looking Halo game, a current gen game with bells and whistles, available on all xbox platforms ?

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
If i wanted to play upprezzed xboxgames i would buy a pc.

A new generation means a significant graphical leap. Not fucking scalable uprezzed protoremasters.

It should be a clean slate and something new.

Save the generations, buy ps5.

ethomaz

Banned
First year of PS4 you had:

Resogun
Knack
Killzone Shadow Fall
inFAMOUS Second Son
inFAMOUS First Light
DriveClub

inFAMOUS come 4 months after PS4 launch.
TLOU R come 7 months after PS4 launch.

A year late we start to enter in Bloodborne, The Order, Until Dawn, GoW3 R, Helldrivers, Nathan Drake C zone.

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
Maybe with Microsoft it happens every generation. Sony didn't release Knack or Killzone Shadow Fall on PS3, they didn't release Resistance: Fall of Man, Genji: Days of the Blade or Untold Legends Dark Kingdom on PS2, etc., etc. By the way I love how you mentioned all third party games saying "this happens every generation" lol.

because back then it was impossible to develop games for PS3 and PS4. Completely different architectures.
With PS4 and PS5 it doesn’t make any sense. They could easily develop for both at the same time.
They only reason why Sony is not doing this, is because they are greedy af.
If Microsoft would do this, people would say here that Microsoft is abandoning their lastgen System way too fast.
bow that Sony is doing it, its suddenly great abe gamer friendly strategy. Lol

oh the irony.

Humdinger

Seems like two different strategies.

MS: No next-gen exclusive the first two years (so cross between Xbox One and Xbox Series).
Sony: All first-party launch titles for PS5 are exclusives (so no PS4 version).

Has Sony said that? I hadn't heard. If so, that's interesting.

p.s. MS's stance doesn't surprise me. This has been their stance for a long time now. They want their games playing across a wide variety of devices, not just one.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Exactly this.

People seem to conveniently forget that current gen was the first gen to launch with a very significant amount of cross-gen games. PS4 flew off the shelves mainly because it was PlayStation and gamers wanted a new toy under their TVs. It’s very safe to say that Killzone, Resogun, and fucking Knack didn’t sell the PS4, LOL c’mon guys. FIFA and Assassin’s Creed was what kept most early PS4 adopters busy until the true exclusives came out. This is not a corporate shill’s revisionist fantasy, this is what happened in 2013.

Also, western markets were historically less impacted by this because of delayed launches, but do you remember what PS2 launched with in Japan? You think Fantavision sold the PS2? No, the dream of what PS2 would deliver is what sold the PS2 at launch, and this is true for most new hardware. People will play what’s available until the big names actually come out, which is almost never at launch.

There’s so much to play on XBox at the moment, between Game Pass and backwards compat with 19 years of games, I wouldn’t need a new exclusive for the new hardware for the good part of a year if I were to buy the Series X. Not that I ever cared for Halo or Gears, too.
Yeah, not having big exclusives may deter people from early adopting but the point here is, a lot of people overestimate how many people are willing to fork out the cash for a new shining console because of a totally esclusive game that can’t be played anywhere else - and this is especially true now, when multiplatform third party games are the bulk of the sales. When next gen hits, Ubi and EA will be the top launch sellers, as usual.

kungfuian

I don't see the no generations thing producing the sales results Microsoft hopes for. Problem is you end up facing the possibility that consumers see the device as just another iteration of X1. An upgrade but not a full new gen per say.

Not dogging on the X1X (or PS Pro for that matter), but how did those machines sell compared to their cheaper counterparts. Point being the X1X is vastly superior to the 1X and capable of much more, but instead plays only slightly enhanced X1 games and sells at a fraction of the 1Xs rate due to price and there being no 'need' to upgrade if you want to play those same games.

Having only cross gen games going into the XSEX kind of sends the same message and may produce a similar problem. Combined with all the games already being available on PC and you have much less need to purchase a XSEX.

ethomaz

Banned
So what game listed was the reason YOU bought a PS4 within that first year?
All of them.
Played all when they launched... to be fair Knack take some time to play it even after I brought it.

Really liked Killzone: Shadow Fall (but the MP was below previous games), Resogun and inFAMOUS.

Destiny was my first Multiplatform game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Infamous second son looked insane. It still looks insane.
And it was launched in March... 4 months after PS4 launch (close to 3 months if you take Europe or 1 month if Japan).

It was in the period the industry call launch window.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
launch games dont have to be great. They just have to show the graphical promise, what we can expect from the coming generation.

No upprezzed game can do that. infamous ss looks muuuuch better than the last of us remastered.

stitch1

I don't see the no generations thing producing the sales results Microsoft hopes for. Problem is you end up facing the possibility that consumers see the device as just another iteration of X1. An upgrade but not a full new gen per say.

Not dogging on the X1X (or PS Pro for that matter), but how did those machines sell compared to their cheaper counterparts. Point being the X1X is vastly superior to the 1X and capable of much more, but instead plays only slightly enhanced X1 games and sells at a fraction of the 1Xs rate due to price and there being no 'need' to upgrade if you want to play those same games.

Having only cross gen games going into the XSEX kind of sends the same message and may produce a similar problem. Combined with all the games already being available on PC and you have much less need to purchase a XSEX.

I think that is kind of Microsoft's point. They are marketing this as just another upgrade to something you already have. They want to blur the lines of what a console generation is. They don't really care where or how you play their games... They just care that you are playing THEIR games. You want to play your old OG Xbox games? You can. How about 360? Sure, Xbox One? You got it. The latest games? Of course. Ok what about on a PC? For sure! Ok ok how about mobile? We're working on it. Try this beta now and see what you think.

This one generation must end for a new one to begin is only in the console space. And its mostly due to the changing of architecture. Now that they have moved to X86 there's no real reason to keep doing it the same old ways. It benefits the devs because they can sell to more people. It benefits the consumer because they don't HAVE to drop big coin just to play the latest games if they don't want to. And if benefits us early adopters because bigger budgets can be spent on launch titles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony doing something similar.

What's comical is in one thread people are bashing Xbox for GamePass because how could anyone ever make money with it. And in this one it's all "Oh no without exclusives no one will buy the new systems". So devs are going to starve because of gamepass. But let's limit their earning potential to only early adopters. Logical, right?

Last edited:

ghairat

Those people that think it is smart or good move by Microsoft not releasing any first party games needs to rethink. Why even release a console and not having a first party title??? They should at least have halo or a gears game... And also, if they are going all in with game pass, why not go all in, in the pc market? So many potential there

stitch1

Those people that think it is smart or good move by Microsoft not releasing any first party games needs to rethink. Why even release a console and not having a first party title??? They should at least have halo or a gears game... And also, if they are going all in with game pass, why not go all in, in the pc market? So many potential there

What are you talking about? They do have a Halo game coming at launch called Halo Infinite. They will have plenty of other first party games. That's not what is being said here. They are just going to keep supporting the Xbox One along side of the Xbox Series X for a year or two.

They are going pretty deep with Gamepass... All first party games will be launched day and date on Gamepass going forward. Yes, that included the PC market.

I've read through 3 pages of this thread so far, and am still utterly confused by it. MS is partially ditching the old generational idea of consoles, their studios making games for all the millions of permutations of PC builds, also with special optimizations for 3-4 particular builds (consoles), and this is a bad thing?

Take 'Control' for example, it was rough on the S, looked good on the X, and was eye-melting on bad-ass PC rigs.....do you guys think we're going to see some paradigm shift in the fundamental way videogames are made in the next 2 years? Ray tracing is cool as all hell, but its absence is not going to make games unplayable for hardware unable to support it.

The way I see it MS is selling small form-factor PC towers that are limited to videogames and entertainment streaming, without both the benefits and hassles of real PC rigs. For 500 bucks I'm quite happy with that. Hell, I hope they go all in on keyboard and mouse setups, and invite every traditionally PC developer to join the party.

JLB

Banned
Not a Sony game.

stand corrected, yup.
so this enforces even more my idea that we need to wait and see whats sony strategy regarding cross gen games.
i dont see that clear that they are going to left behind 100m users.

JLB

Banned

id argue that the difference between x1 and x1x is easy a generational leap. source: have both consoles side to side.

stand corrected, yup.
so this enforces even more my idea that we need to wait and see whats sony strategy regarding cross gen games.
As clear as next gen after PS5 being PS6.

Sony had "left Behind" the previous gen users, every generation. And they are rewarded with 3 consoles in the top four best selling consoles of all times. You don't change what worked.

Microsoft is only changing because they haven't been succeeding. They are coming in third place and had no choice but to abandon traditional practices.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
because back then it was impossible to develop games for PS3 and PS4. Completely different architectures.
With PS4 and PS5 it doesn’t make any sense. They could easily develop for both at the same time.
They only reason why Sony is not doing this, is because they are greedy af.
If Microsoft would do this, people would say here that Microsoft is abandoning their lastgen System way too fast.
bow that Sony is doing it, its suddenly great abe gamer friendly strategy. Lol

oh the irony.

What a disingenuous statement. The generationless model (outside of the PC world where you can buy and assemble all your parts yourselves) is about increasing revenue and profit margins and Sony is the greedy af one :LOL:.

Abandoning console users are droughts before the new system comes out is not what they do (Sony kept swinging at the tail end of ALL their console generations hence you got TLoU at the end of last generation, GT4 at the end of the previous, and many other big titles... are GoT and TLoU2 now... they even made exclusive titles for the previous generation when the new generation was already out).

Sony has always had long generations very well supported with software before and after the new generation titles are out, but they use their first party studios to make sure gamers get the best out of the new generation machines as soon as possible. A cross generation title costs a lot more to make or screws over the new console or the old console. Consoles are not just locked down PC, I want to see developers also focusing on the new console while I can also carry over my previous, maybe enhanced, library with BC (software is the biggest investment after all).

Last edited:

sendit

Sony had "left Behind" the previous gen users, every generation. And they are rewarded with 3 consoles in the top four best selling consoles of all times. You don't change what worked.

Microsoft is only changing because they haven't been succeeding. They are coming in third place and had no choice but to abandon traditional practices.

While I agree, I don’t see anything wrong with change. I can see Sony going the Microsoft route in the future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I've read through 3 pages of this thread so far, and am still utterly confused by it. MS is partially ditching the old generational idea of consoles, their studios making games for all the millions of permutations of PC builds, also with special optimizations for 3-4 particular builds (consoles), and this is a bad thing?

Take 'Control' for example, it was rough on the S, looked good on the X, and was eye-melting on bad-ass PC rigs.....do you guys think we're going to see some paradigm shift in the fundamental way videogames are made in the next 2 years? Ray tracing is cool as all hell, but its absence is not going to make games unplayable for hardware unable to support it.

The way I see it MS is selling small form-factor PC towers that are limited to videogames and entertainment streaming, without both the benefits and hassles of real PC rigs. For 500 bucks I'm quite happy with that. Hell, I hope they go all in on keyboard and mouse setups, and invite every traditionally PC developer to join the party.

Yes their dream scenario: a profitable HW + closed walled garden where you can not modify games, enjoy content and open platform creativity, update the HW components freely, and you do not get games optimised exclusively around your fixed specs HW over time.

baphomet

stand corrected, yup.

They left 100+ million behind when PS2 launched, 150 million behind when the PS3 launched, 90ish million with the PS4.

They're not changing it up this time either.

Yes their dream scenario: a profitable HW + closed walled garden where you can not modify games, enjoy content and open platform creativity, update the HW components freely, and you do not get games optimised exclusively around your fixed specs HW over time.
Anybody is always free to drop $2000 on a gaming rig anytime they want. 'Good Enough' for a third the price of a high end GPU alone every 5 years or so is all I need considering the time I have for videogames in my life.

Also, why wouldn't MS games be optimized for their consoles? Obviously we will get to the point within a few years or so after launch that the X1S simply can't handle certain games, X1X similarly a few years after that. There's no reason, however, for some Indy game made 5 years from now that can run on a potato to not be sold on current hardware, same with AA games made by MS internal studios. If they're going to be making games that can run on older PC hardware, how hard can it be to offer them in their downgraded form on older systems?

I have no doubt that they will also be making the next Doom 3, or Crysis; something that requires an XSX or a fuck-stupid expensive GPU to run.

JLB

Banned
They left 100+ million behind when PS2 launched, 150 million behind when the PS3 launched, 90ish million with the PS4.

They're not changing it up this time either.

Everything can change. Not saying that Sony wont follow its past strategy, but I wouldnt be 100% sure.

JLB

Banned

Xbox 360 was not a success? And to an extent, Xbox One was a success as well. Again, as I mentioned in my previous comment, not saying Sony wont go the same route, but wont be 100% sure until I see it.

Pimpbaa

The best looking games on the Series X will probably be 3rd party titles if true (developers making games designed for ps5 and series x only). Jaguar cpu cores are one hell of a lowest common denominator.

edit: along with 5400rpm hard drives.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
The best looking games on the Series X will probably be 3rd party titles if true (developers making games designed for ps5 and series x only). Jaguar cpu cores are one hell of a lowest common denominator.

edit: along with 5400rpm hard drives.

That idea that SSDs all of the sudden will make games look better does not compute.
Regarding Jaguar, its a good point, but Ill wait and see, though I find it hard to believe that a game like Senuas Saga II will be able to run on a base X1.

Pimpbaa

That idea that SSDs all of the sudden will make games look better does not compute.
Regarding Jaguar, its a good point, but Ill wait and see, though I find it hard to believe that a game like Senuas Saga II will be able to run on a base X1.

Fastest streaming equals better (high resolution) and more varied textures. Open world games will benefit greatly as a result. Can't compare it to games on pc, as most pc games are current gen console ports. Star Citizen is the exception on PC, which apparently runs a lot better on a SSD.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So I can keep up to speed with all the XBox games for two years? Ok, cool. Sounds like my PC situation where I can use my card for X amount of years because games haven’t surpassed it. Interesting. BY then the console will be cheaper.

I didnt get my XBO until the MCC. I just didn’t see a must have title until then. I just wonder if they’re going to stick with it.

Sounds like Microsoft has given up on consoles - instead they will be selling xbox store machines

Well it could work - if they weren't chaining themselves to hardware baseline of machines running 2,3 GHz netbook cpus and loading from 5400 rpm drives.

That strategy should have started with next gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom