• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty (Xbox): No next gen exclusives for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox 360 was not a success? And to an extent, Xbox One was a success as well. Again, as I mentioned in my previous comment, not saying Sony wont go the same route, but wont be 100% sure until I see it.
And what is your basis on that belief, other than "Microsoft is doing it, so it must be right?"

Do you also hold that same argument for always-online, bundled Kinect, Xbox-1S without a blu ray drive, or releasing a new gen with two SKUs? What is your basis for saying Microsoft, who came third this generation, is right this time?

Ryu Kaiba

This more than anything has told me Xbox won't be competitive Next Gen.

It is just a Game Pass Box. There just aiming for the Netflix of games but they have the weakest offering of exclusives in the industry.
I don't think the studios they brought are going to change that.

If Sony is Going all in with Backwards compatibility and amazing looking first party PS5 games that's going to look far more appealing.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So 1-2 years after now pretty much means 6 months to a full year of cross-gen games. I'm guessing Sony will have a similar timeline for their PS5 internal games. Honestly, which Sony internal studios can even have a launch game ready? GoT and TLoU2 will essentially be cross-gen launch titles themselves. Horizon 2 and Spider-man 2 are likely 2021 games. Maybe Sony Japan could have something?

Griffon

Well... the strategy to not lock their games to a single console isn't all bad. All I need is all the games to be available same time and date on PC and I'll be happy to buy some.

Why are they always trying to overcomplicated things?

Do they not realise that when they kept it simple with the 360 they did very well?
I said it earlier, but i think it is a bad move to assume that this was intentional on Microsoft's part.

All these posts trying to claim it was part of Xbox strategy, is ignoring the likely cause that the 1st party studios MS has are simply behind schedule. That they simply haven't got any games that would be ready at the end of 2020. And Microsoft is getting the bad news out of the way now, instead of surprising people on launch day.

it isn't like Microsoft intentionally decided to not make Scarlet exclusives; they said themselves that these games would come out 1 year after launch. It's just that despite the games being in production, the launch date is too tight a deadline.

Thus i do think it isn't complicated at all. it would only be complicated, if you believe Microsoft was shunning next gen exclusives.

Microsoft have already said this. They said it the same time last year and I read it on this very forum.

It's why I bought an X over a Pro; my X will play next gen games and current gen, no need to buy XSEX. PS5 will have exclusives to only the PS5, so i need to buy a PS5 at launch.

What's really funny, is that next gen xbox games will only work with certain versions of Xbox ones. So, Halo infinite will work on all Xbones, whereas a next-gen title will only work on X and XSEX.

Get ready for another shit show

GHG

I said it earlier, but i think it is a bad move to assume that this was intentional on Microsoft's part.

All these posts trying to claim it was part of Xbox strategy, is ignoring the likely cause that the 1st party studios MS has are simply behind schedule. That they simply haven't got any games that would be ready at the end of 2020. And Microsoft is getting the bad news out of the way now, instead of surprising people on launch day.

it isn't like Microsoft intentionally decided to not make Scarlet exclusives; they said themselves that these games would come out 1 year after launch. It's just that despite the games being in production, the launch date is too tight a deadline.

Thus i do think it isn't complicated at all. it would only be complicated, if you believe Microsoft was shunning next gen exclusives.

Well if they don't have first party stuff ready for next gen then they only have themselves to blame.

How long have they been in the business again?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Anybody is always free to drop $2000 on a gaming rig anytime they want. 'Good Enough' for a third the price of a high end GPU alone every 5 years or so is all I need considering the time I have for videogames in my life.

Also, why wouldn't MS games be optimized for their consoles? Obviously we will get to the point within a few years or so after launch that the X1S simply can't handle certain games, X1X similarly a few years after that. There's no reason, however, for some Indy game made 5 years from now that can run on a potato to not be sold on current hardware, same with AA games made by MS internal studios. If they're going to be making games that can run on older PC hardware, how hard can it be to offer them in their downgraded form on older systems?

I have no doubt that they will also be making the next Doom 3, or Crysis; something that requires an XSX or a fuck-stupid expensive GPU to run.

If people want a locked down closed platform without the pros of PC’s and with the cons of consoles fine with them, but there is nothing objectively better than the current console generation model (assuming BC support) for me. I like and appreciate the open and upgradable PC ecosystem a lot, but I also like game console generations a lot albeit some companies see their profits increase in other ways (there are benefits to the generationless model, mostly for the HW manufacturer though :p).

MS would optimise the titles, but it still takes extra time for devs and QA’s to achieve it in a way that neither XSX and Xbox One users feel let down... and the more complex their XSX game is the more complex will it be to ensure it runs well across generations. There is space from cross generation software, some studios even farm out previous generation titles to other teams not to get limited by it.
In the classical mobile / PC model you optimise depending on the install base.

Developers can do a lot of things, but it increases cost and complexity of the software and/or it ends up screwing over some users (people with older devices technically supported, but with shitty performance, or people with new devices that get a fraction of what they paid for) and is not the greatest experience for a dev either.
Sure, if I had to develop only for the iPhone 5S now for two years (leaving the fact that iOS 13 would not be available) I may be a bit more pissed trying to adapt an app making use of the iPhone 11 performance and would like to do that with the latter, but starting a new HW cycle with direct and efficient HW access, nice tool, some forward looking bits and bobs in the semi-custom architecture, and I had the chance to optimise the app(s) running on it for years it would reduce development and testing costs a lot and allow me to focus more on what makes the app/game special

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I love it, this is the new battleground. These goal posts man...

Did I slip into an alternate reality where any previous gen wasn’t full of cross gen games? Because on my earth, I remember it well. Strange... I’m pretty sure on my planet the PlayStation will have it’s fair share of these two...

Also, it’s just MS games, so that’s like, 2. And you can be sure as shit they will go the extra mile with the feature so that SX games are gorgeous but will look totally different on older hardware. All the multiplats can do whatever the hell they want, including just release an SX version.

And all this for like, a year?! Shit... I guess they are doomed...

As i said before this news is pretty standard for any of them. What worries me is the spec being so shit compared to PS5. The latest leaks say I won’t be investing, not for that big a difference. Not flops, that’s all bollocks. But SSD speed, and cpu? Ugh?

Last edited:
I love it, this is the new battleground. These goal posts man...

Did I slip into an alternate reality where any previous gen wasn’t full of cross gen games? Because on my earth, I remember it well. Strange... I’m pretty sure on my planet the PlayStation will have it’s fair share of these two...

Also, it’s just MS games, so that’s like, 2. And you can be sure as shit they will go the extra mile with the feature so that SX games are gorgeous but will look totally different on older hardware. All the multiplats can do whatever the hell they want, including just release an SX version.

And all this for like, a year?! Shit... I guess they are doomed...

As i said before this news is pretty big standard for any of them. What worries me is the spec being so shit compared to PS5. The latest leaks say I won’t be investing, not for that big a difference. Not flops, that’s all bollocks. But SSD speed, and cpu? Ugh?
At this point, if you don't understand why this decision is a big deal, you have no idea why 1st party exclusives exist.

And if it wasn't really a big deal, Microsoft wouldn't have announced it a whole year ahead of time. They would have revealed the lack of exclusives at launch. But of course deep down you know it would be a bad idea, you are only pretending to not understand.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m not pretending anything. Console exclusives form the main console owner in their first year, you can usually count them on one hand, twice over. That’s pretty standard. Both the PS5 and the SX will have barely anything “exclusive” from Sony/MS. This is the way it has always been.

The rest will be full of games that come from third party. Some of these will be console exclusive, most will be on both system. None of which have to apply the “must run on older hardware” rule.

But that doesn’t mean there won’t be cross gen games. You WILL get games that will run on the new consoles and either A) on the old hardware or B) have an older hardware game version released.

This is just... wow, standard shit. It’s been done like this since day one.

Now I totally get people might be worried that the Xbox launch day games on SX May be terrible... and to be fair launch games usually are terrible regardless. We can’t all be GTA3. But there’s nothing stopping Halo Infinite coming out and looking/playing/working better than anything out at launch, but also sporting a cut down ugly add old version. Nothing at all.

You won’t even see games take advantage of the new capabilities of the cpu/SSD tech for a while. Developers will be playing catch up.

So no. This shit doesn’t worry me, PS5 will be chock full of the same cross gen games. People buying an SX for gorgeous new titles will still get them, and they will still look stunning compared to the old console versions. But none of this is new.

But those spec leaks (SSD half the speed, cpu seriously cut back, ray tracing worse etc)? That DOES worry me. Because while I can forgive the usual cross gen launch period bollocks, that spec difference is now big enough to mean that future exclusives and multiplats will be gimped. And the Xbox will only survive if it’s the best place to play multiplats. I couldn’t give a toss about exclusives, nobody should. They don’t make up enough of the game count for me. But multiplats? That’s a massive area.

You won’t even see games take advantage of the new capabilities of the cpu/SSD tech for a while. Developers will be playing catch up.

So no. This shit doesn’t worry me, PS5 will be chock full of the same cross gen games. People buying an SX for gorgeous new titles will still get them, and they will still look stunning compared to the old console versions. But none of this is new.
Sony completely disagrees with you, Just because Microsoft failed to make next gen 1st party games for Scarlet, does not mean Sony would magically copy that same failure.

Why is it that there is an assumption Sony, the leading console platform, would imitate the business decisions of their third place competitor? Sony will make 1st party exclusives for their next gen machines, like they always did. Like what Nintendo always did, and like what Microsoft USED to do.

Microsoft had decided to stop doing what worked. Sony and Nintendo will ignore Xbox and keep trucking with tried and true business strategies that served them well this far. Making 1st party next gen games in order to promote the adaption of the next gen hardware as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sony completely disagrees with you, Just because Microsoft failed to make next gen 1st party games for Scarlet, does not mean Sony would magically copy that same failure.[/B]

They have made next gen games for SX. They just happen to work on older hardware as well. But they won’t look anything like they should on older hardware and will likely be missing features and parts completely. This is the exact same thing everybody does at launch.

They want people to play on Xbox. They don’t care where. But they give you ample chances to do it at different price points, including windows.

If you’re still thinking in terms of box A vs box B then you’re thinking a little bit too playground. Microsoft don’t give a single shiny shit where you play, as long as it’s an Xbox. And that makes them money. Only four year olds put two items in a box and ask them to fight.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the problem at all... Haven't developers been developing for multiple systems almost all the time? Was there a problem with Horizon Zero Down because it worked on the PS4 as well as on the PS4 Pro?

Last edited by a moderator:

thelastword

Banned
Honestly, which Sony internal studios can even have a launch game ready?
Are you serious? Many......Guerilla, PD, Team Astro, Japan, Insomniac, Studio London.....San Diego, San Mateo...….etc......All of these studios can produce games at launch, including games Sony Publish from third parties...

Not only are they behind schedule, but what exactly do we expect them to produce.....Crackdown Devs took an age to produce what it was, Rare took an age to produce SOT, with track records like SOD etc.....I'm not sure these are the studios you want whipping a game up in quicktime......These recent MS studios are not top tier Studios, so even when they release their games in 2021/2022, there will still be excuses made for their quality and the same talking points like "Wait for 2023"........will ensue.....

GHG

I don't see the problem at all... Haven't developers been developing for multiple systems almost all the time? Was there a problem with Horizon Zero Down because it worked on the PS4 as well as on the PS4 Pro?

That's... not the same thing. The pro and original console are still part of the same generation have the same architecture and use the same SDK.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Of course, MS can’t get games out, but Sony can. Even though the developers keep switching jobs all the time between the two companies.

Welcome... To the Twiword Zone.

They have made next gen games for SX. They just happen to work on older hardware as well. But they won’t look anything like they should on older hardware and will likely be missing features and parts completely. This is the exact same thing everybody does at launch.

They want people to play on Xbox. They don’t care where. But they give you ample chances to do it at different price points, including windows.

If you’re still thinking in terms of box A vs box B then you’re thinking a little bit too playground. Microsoft don’t give a single shiny shit where you play, as long as it’s an Xbox. And that makes them money. Only four year olds put two items in a box and ask them to fight.
You don't seem to understand how money is made in consoles. And why it is important to speed up next gen adaptations.

The majority of the money a console platform owner earns, is from the 30% tax that they extract from third party studios that release games on their machine. And you earn that by making sure there is a large enough base of consoles for the 3rd party studios to consider it worth releasing games on it.

Note; console power is irrelevant. Switch isn't very powerful, but because it has a decent install base compared to wiiU, third parties line up to make games on it.

Now, console hardware go out of date. People stop playing on old machines and upgrade. Some do it faster than others. But the priority of a console platform owner is making sure as many people upgrade to next gen as soon as possible. Because until they do that, third parties would half arse the games they put on it. And that risks the decrease in the 30% rent payment.

You saying Microsoft don't care what machine I play on? Then Microsoft is selling you a lie. Because if they really don't care, they wouldn't be making any Scarlet exclusives at all. Remember, MS isn't saying they won't make Scarlet exclusives, or that they don't like Scarlet exclusives; they are saying the Scarlet exclusives are LATE by one year.

If you are so sure that Scarlet exclusives are so unimportant, then why the hell are Microsoft still making them? You should call them to cancel their future plans, and to make all those games run on Xbox One as well.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
PS4 Pro wasn't a new generation. It was just an updated PS4.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

I understand how consoles work in terms of financial gubbins, and everything you said makes sense.

But this is a new take on things, and to dismiss it so quickly before it’s even been tried is pretty foolish.

I get you want big exclusives to drawer people into your new tech, but let’s be serious for a second here... MS are dead last. The people who are fans are going to be people already in the ecosystem. Yes, they can get new people on board with new consoles, but what’s more important is more people are playing Xbox. This isn’t Ps4 to PS5, that shits off the charts. They can’t compete with that. So they have to compete in their own way.

And while I do agree that it may not be the best way to do it, it still seems like a viable solution.

Look, I’m not 100% on anything Ms is doing here, and I’m fully on Sonys side with regard to all of this. Two consoles? Shit. Cross gen? Well it’s common but yes they do need more to sell the new hardware. Lower spec? May as well give in now. Slow ass SSD? This is the battleground.

But I’ll be picking up both, because that’s what I do haha.

Last edited:
Where do you think most of their subscribers come from?
Yes, but why do they bother? if they're only going to release some new hardware they should be the first ones pushing it to the limit (to set the standard for third party publishers on their platform).

That being said, I'm all for a transition period, most games could scale down to the one X, at least, without too much problem.

I think it would make sense for MS/Sony to make some smaller next gen exclusive showcase games that can't be done on old gen. It's understandable they'd rather sell to the current userbase of 50-100 million users rather than hope that a new user base will slowly trickle for the new console, but at the same time I do think they need to actually sell the new consoles and if all the consoles really do is run at a higher frame rate and resolution, it's not that big of a sales magnet.

Sony especially is concentrating on messaging how the SSD will eliminate loads and allow for level design in open worlds that couldn't be done before, but you can't really do that if you're supporting old gen, not without seriously compromising the design for either version.

In any case, I think it's the job of the first party studios to show what their platform is capable of, but it looks more like next gen it'll be more like the job for smaller third party to risk it and come up with compelling use cases for next gen consoles that couldn't just be done with what we have now.

It's sad how the publishers with the most amount of money to put on a more risky next gen title are the least likely to actually pull the trigger on one, rather they just push safe stuff for old user base because it's what guarantees sales. It's also kinda disappointing to see MS not be brave enough to push for next gen exclusives given their weak current gen and aspirations for future. You'd think they'd be more forward thinking. What does making first party games for the One S for the next 3 years really achieve them? I think it could be far more effective if they could truly push next gen games on XSX while Sony still would cater their big old user base with cross-gen games that are designed around base PS4 limitations.

Freeman76

This will hurt their sales. The XB1X will be a LOT cheaper when the xSX releases, why not go for that and then buy an XSX in 2 years when it has exclusives AND is loads cheaper. I love the way MS have turned things around but this isnt a smart move imo.

You don't seem to worry about your PC games being dragged down by having to run on 5 year old PCs.
You shouldn't worry about your PC games being dragged down by the original xbox one.
Well, there is no mandate for all current PC games to run well on all past PCs... and well specked PCs from 2015 had 16GB of RAM, a geforce 970/80.

and this is a fact that most games released aren't AAA, so they often scale pretty well to very low specs machines to begin with (Even some big titles don't require much to run... Fortnite anyone).

The idea here is that at the very least big budget first party titles should lead the way in therms of showing off what the system can do, if they need it sacrifice compatibility with existing hardware.

That being said, there still can be some obvious advancements that can happen, anything that can live in a special config file and changed without changing the gameplay:
- resolution
- frame rate
- better LOD
- higher quality textures
- better lighting effects (add Ray Tracing effects when the games runs on the new hardware)

Now the sacrifices (or tolerate games running at 15fps to sell more new consoles)
- Limit I/O requests from the HDD, which means slow moving open world games for another couple of years (any game that streams assets really, which is most of them)
- Limit A.I. to what the Jaguar CPU can handle
- Limit the number of interactive objects in scenes to whatever existing hardware can handle
- Limit the number of players in multi-player games

For examples of this just see third party games from 2013 - 2015, and compare the level of animation, etc. compared to true PS4 games of the time.

Which exclusive PS5 game is going to be more ‘next gen’ than Flight Simulator. Probably none in its lifetime, and certainly none in its first year or so.

Are Knack 3 and Godfall going to be better than Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8, I doubt it.

The best game on PS5 in the first year or so will be Last Of Us 2 - PS5 enhanced edition. A PS4 game.

Ya’ll crazy 😜

John117

I don't like this strategy. I would like an Killer APP (only for Series X) at the launch.... I wanted Halo Infinite exclusive Series X and PC... I hope that Halo will be amazing like technology :/

Which exclusive PS5 game is going to be more ‘next gen’ than Flight Simulator. Probably none in its lifetime, and certainly none in its first year or so.

Are Knack 3 and Godfall going to be better than Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8, I doubt it.

The best game on PS5 in the first year or so will be Last Of Us 2 - PS5 enhanced edition. A PS4 game.

Ya’ll crazy 😜
Sony is making 1st party PS5 exclusive games, it is just that none had been announced. Why did you think they went into radio silence in all of 2019? Not long to wait now, I expect something dramatic in the next two months at the latest.

Funny how people hammer down on MS and forget how Sony released GT6 on PS3 just before the release of the PS4. They left GT fans with nothing on the PS 4 for a long time. Yeah, for the players...
Same with TLoU (which they will do again, but I expect some PS5 enhancements on this one).

You saying Microsoft don't care what machine I play on? Then Microsoft is selling you a lie. Because if they really don't care, they wouldn't be making any Scarlet exclusives at all. Remember, MS isn't saying they won't make Scarlet exclusives, or that they don't like Scarlet exclusives; they are saying the Scarlet exclusives are LATE by one year.
That made me think of something, maybe they are not doing this for philosophical reasons, but for logistical reasons. All these new studios probably need 1 or 2 more years to finish their games ANYWAY, so instead of admitting failure they spin it into "we are nice, we will keep releasing games on our existing consoles".... Obviously, Phil did not invite me to that meeting, so I can't really know.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
That's... not the same thing. The pro and original console are still part of the same generation have the same architecture and use the same SDK.
PS4 Pro wasn't a new generation. It was just an updated PS4.
Microsoft already said that they don't believe in generations... The XSX is just an updated OneX. Like Cerny and Spencer already said, these consoles are basically PC's that they have optimized.

nikolino840

I can add this...
Recent acquired studios are still working on the multiplatform games already in development so maybe they don't want to rush all the things to make games with a massive leap for the day one of series X

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Funny how people hammer down on MS and forget how Sony released GT6 on PS3 just before the release of the PS4. They left GT fans with nothing on the PS 4 for a long time. Yeah, for the players...
Managing to spin Sony’s historic lack of game releases drought when the next generation console is on the horizon or just out as a negative is quite something :LOL:.

Let’s forget that, PS3 to PS4 aside, the new generation was BC with the previous one (and had visual and loading time enhancements) and that Sony’s first party also always had exclusive titles for the new machine that showed off its strength in the launch window, that would be another flaw in your argument...

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think that is an exaggerated simplification of the truth.
"The "supercharged PC architecture," that the team has come up with -- to use Cerny's term -- is designed to offer significant gains the PC can't, while still offering a familiar technological environment for engineers."

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"The "supercharged PC architecture," that the team has come up with -- to use Cerny's term -- is designed to offer significant gains the PC can't, while still offering a familiar technological environment for engineers."

If you do not see how that is quite a lot more than “basically a PC (forgetting for example how not using the same exact OS, drivers, tools etc... as desktop PC also changes things massively for both consoles)” then IMHO you are underestimating these consoles and conflating familiarity of architecture with lack of differentiation for example.
Also, it will impact how you view and appreciate the XSX and PS5 alike, but when PC games minimum specs for AAA titles start to jump up we can take another look ;).

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
And what is your basis on that belief, other than "Microsoft is doing it, so it must be right?"

Do you also hold that same argument for always-online, bundled Kinect, Xbox-1S without a blu ray drive, or releasing a new gen with two SKUs? What is your basis for saying Microsoft, who came third this generation, is right this time?

check my answers, never said thats good because ms is doing it. My point is that we should wait and see if Sony will proceed as usual, or not.

check my answers, never said thats good because ms is doing it. My point is that we should wait and see if Sony will proceed as usual, or not.
You haven't answered my question, which is why do you think Sony has grounds to change what kept them at the top of the industry? So far other posters are implying MS is some genius company forsawing the collapse of game consoles and is getting out. You know, like every other generation before it. So what is your stance?

Psykodad

Banned
Microsoft already said that they don't believe in generations... The XSX is just an updated OneX. Like Cerny and Spencer already said, these consoles are basically PC's that they have optimized.
MS says a lot of things.

Also, that last comment does not mean that there isn't a significant leap going from PS4 to PS5.
(MS is up in the air with the Lockhart rumors)

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
This will hurt their sales. The XB1X will be a LOT cheaper when the xSX releases, why not go for that and then buy an XSX in 2 years when it has exclusives AND is loads cheaper. I love the way MS have turned things around but this isnt a smart move imo.
Now that you mention it, won't this move just kill Lockhart right out the gate if it exists and releases day and date with XSX?

Now that you mention it, won't this move just kill Lockhart right out the gate if it exists and releases day and date with XSX?
The interesting thing is that we got leaks concerning the lack of Scarlet exclusives, a long time ago.

"At launch, we've heard there won't be any "Xbox Scarlett"-exclusive games. For at least a few years, games will ship on both the Xbox One consoles and on the new Scarlett consoles, as is typically the case during a generational transition. "
This is from the end of May last year. I suspect that was when MS realized that the exclusives are not going to make it to launch date, and until now they were trying to find a way to to break the bad news to us.

Note the number of people in that thread outright claiming MS wouldn't do that, that it would be stupid. I wonder how many of these same people is now supporting this outcome as a good thing?

JLB

Banned
You haven't answered my question, which is why do you think Sony has grounds to change what kept them at the top of the industry? So far other posters are implying MS is some genius company forsawing the collapse of game consoles and is getting out. You know, like every other generation before it. So what is your stance?

Strategies change all the time, as leaders on top of companies.
Those changes reflect and try to be an answer to better position a product in a never ending changing market. Technology these days makes the process of funneling users from one platform to be next one much more straightforward, thus if Sony is able to articulate a strategy that comprehends current users, and a path for -some- of them to next gen experience without having to pay 500-650 upfront, im sure they will explore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom