• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty (Xbox): No next gen exclusives for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberPanda

Banned
I3AOm3V.jpg

V9Mm6fv.jpg

MUyMItt.jpg

P88Ncxr.jpg

daZOyX5.jpg

Strategies change all the time, as leaders on top of companies.
Those changes reflect and try to be an answer to better position a product in a never ending changing market. Technology these days makes the process of funneling users from one platform to be next one much more straightforward, thus if Sony is able to articulate a strategy that comprehends current users, and a path for -some- of them to next gen experience without having to pay 500-650 upfront, im sure they will explore it.
You are assuming next gen experience is the goal of Sony. How does that even work? Next gen experience is the MEANS, what Sony use to get people to upgrade. The idea that you believe Sony want to offer next gen gameplay as some kind of charity, is mind boggling to me.

You say maybe Sony could offer games without the next gen machine. i say the next gen machine being sold is the GOAL, so you are saying Sony should stop selling consoles...

The Alien

Banned
To me, it is becoming increasingly obvious that Microsoft and Sony are runningv2 different business models.

Sony is focused on selling consoles and games. Microsoft is looking at XBox as a platform for services. Their games and service are available in console, PC, Steam, etc. The more these generations go, the further apart their head to head becomes.

On a more direct note to the post. Microsoft just cant win with some people. If the cut a line at the gen, then they'd be accused of leaving people behind after the X launch. If I'm investing in a game like Halo Infinite, I want a ton of peeps playing. Not just current gen.

REDRZA MWS

No, many of you are stuck in the stone ages of cartridges and discs. Companies realize they are going the more PC route with hardware so your entire library of games comes with you, and in some cases look and perform better. The older gen has a much higher install base, the money is there for them. But I bet you anything the next great gAmes are gonna look and run like Ass impacted to Xbsex and Ps5

sdrawkcab

Banned
This was actually rumored a few months ago but many chose not to believe.
It's their strategy and like every strategy it has pros and cons.
The pros are that it's easier for them to push the whole ecosystem instead of a single product, the cons are that Sony's PS5 conceived exclusives like the upcoming Horizon2, Spiderman2 and GOW2 will be considerably far ahead. You can scale settings as much as you want but you can't escape from the minimum requirements you have to take care of.

Again, people are with this stupid narrative! That argument is invalid now - developers do this all the time on PC. Having the option of low-end GPUs and system specs in existence doesn't stop better performance on high-end hardware. It's called scaling back, and it doesn't stop anything, granted a developer is able and willing to push the top-end hardware limits, which I'm sure first-party studios will do. All Microsoft exclusives also come out on PC, and low-end PC specs can give output that is arguably of lesser quality than what one would get on the base Xbox One. This is an old, archaic argument that no longer applies for consoles.

Apart from the millions lost by focusing on next-gen only, multilayer gamers suffer tremendously by focusing on next-gen only. There's a million-man user base out there for Halo, Gears and other multiplayer games (for Sony as well), and everyone knows the more users who can play multiplayer games, the better and healthier the multiplayer experience, generally. Sony has an even larger multiplayer base.

With that said, I'm almost 100% certain that Sony will be doing the same thing for most of their exclusives. They have a near 90 million PS4 user base; they are not just going to let that dry up. 90 million multiplied by 60 ($60 a
game) is a lot of money. Even if five million PS4 users are able to buy a next-gen title, that's five million multiplied by 60, as opposed to a couple thousand multiplied by 60. If you were running a business (Not an egoistic console war, that only really exists in your mind), would you forgo all that money...because? There really is not reason to.

Console sales have marginal profit in it. Selling software is where the money is; why would anyone forgo selling millions more, by limiting their sales potential to a handful of people? I feel confident that Sony will take more or less the same approach.

These console manufacturers honestly do not care about about winning any silly perceived console war that fan boys spend hrs of their lives arguing over online; they honestly don't. They care about making profits, and making as much money as possible. Sony is in this for the same reason Microsoft is; they're good at it and it makes a lot of money. So why put a very hard cap on those potential earnings?

Sure, it would be sweet if everything could be next-gen exclusive going forward, but you're talking literally hundreds of millions in dollars being lost with that approach. It makes absolutely zero business sense. The only difference with Sony is, they may not be as extreme with their exclusives as Microsoft; they may have some exclusives that are PS5 only, but I think a lot of their games will also be available for PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Microsoft has even more reason to take this discussed approach, because at this point they're more service-oriented/subscription oriented than Sony.

Last edited:
Microsoft already said that they don't believe in generations... The XSX is just an updated OneX. Like Cerny and Spencer already said, these consoles are basically PC's that they have optimized.

That's pretty much PR since they lost significant marketshare this generation. What they believe ultimately is irrelevant. Third parties will dictate where the support goes, and if current gen sales drop off a cliff like PS360 games did six years ago, everyone will move on.

FYI you won't find a gaming PC or any low system requirements for game released recently that has a weak of a CPU found in Xbox one X....again, you're falling for PR.

Shmunter

MS has been saying this all along and I didn’t believe it. If true, wtf. RIP Xbox

You can’t push physics, ai, world interaction by limiting yourself to 2013

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
is he working for MS yet? he really should...working for free is stupid lol

You woull be surprised how retarded people act when their fanboyism is at that level

I bet he would volunteer to suck a developer's dick every night to push a game to be exclusive for his beloved platform 😆

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

At this point, if you don't understand why this decision is a big deal, you have no idea why 1st party exclusives exist.

And if it wasn't really a big deal, Microsoft wouldn't have announced it a whole year ahead of time. They would have revealed the lack of exclusives at launch. But of course deep down you know it would be a bad idea, you are only pretending to not understand.

Never start a business 😂

AlexxKidd

He is full of shit and being a mouthpiece for their PR. If Microsoft truly didn't care where you played their games, they'd go full third party and release games like Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, etc., etc. on the PlayStation 5. You know why they won't do it? Because they DO care where you play their games and they're trying to sell a box just like everybody else, otherwise they wouldn't be making one. Now get this horse shit talking guy out of my face.

Codes 208

You see, this is something i can respect
He is full of shit and being a mouthpiece for their PR. If Microsoft truly didn't care where you played their games, they'd go full third party and release games like Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, etc., etc. on the PlayStation 5. You know why they won't do it? Because they DO care where you play their games and they're trying to sell a box just like everybody else, otherwise they wouldn't be making one. Now get this horse shit talking guy out of my face.
You can play minecraft bedrock on playstation now and theyve launched several of their big console exclusives on switch already.
Theyve even opened up to their big games launching on steam rather than locking them to the windows store.

AlexxKidd

because back then it was impossible to develop games for PS3 and PS4. Completely different architectures.
With PS4 and PS5 it doesn’t make any sense. They could easily develop for both at the same time.
They only reason why Sony is not doing this, is because they are greedy af.
If Microsoft would do this, people would say here that Microsoft is abandoning their lastgen System way too fast.
bow that Sony is doing it, its suddenly great abe gamer friendly strategy. Lol

oh the irony.

Could people be talking any more out of their ass today? The Last of Us and The Last of Us Remastered released on both the PS3 and PS4 in short order, the same with Grand Theft Auto V, etc. Sony is more than capable, they chose to make PS4 titles exclusively for the next generation just like they chose to do it for every generation, including back when it wasn't "impossible" (lol) from PS1 to PS2 and PS3 to PS4. Try again.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not joking when I say this, but Minecraft: Raytracing Edition would be a pretty amazing launch exclusive. Does this news actually mean that we won't even be seeing that during the first year?

I'm not joking when I say this, but Minecraft: Raytracing Edition would be a pretty amazing launch exclusive. Does this news actually mean that we won't even be seeing that during the first year?
I would be amazed if Microsoft pulled the leaver and decided Minecraft would not be on PS5. it would certaijnly reinforce the idea that MS was serious about staying in the console race. But i doubt that would haoppen.

AlexxKidd

You see, this is something i can respect

You can play minecraft bedrock on playstation now and theyve launched several of their big console exclusives on switch already.
Theyve even opened up to their big games launching on steam rather than locking them to the windows store.

But yet Halo, Sea of Thieves, Gears, Forza, etc. are not on PS4. If they truly didn't care where gamers played their games and are trying to get their games in the hands of as most gamers as possible, they'd bring all of their games to the ecosystem that's sold 106 million consoles and has a 103 million MAU.

thelastword

Banned
Why is Zhuge explaining this, is he an Xbox spokesperson? Regardless of the fact that MS wants to go that route, it doesn't exclude them from putting exclusive content on a hyped up $500 box from their labs, why make the series X/S at all when PC and it's multi-faceted hardware would be just as viable for the cause..... By doing this, they severely limit adaptation of their box.....

The truth is, MS is not the only game in town that has an ecosystem. Sony, Steam, Nintendo, Epic are all vying for your dollar..... MS will not be distinctive enough to accomplish such a goal because they are kicking against their own pricks....MS games are on steam now. Nobody needs MS hardware...

There's no way MS will convince anyone that they don't care about hardware after spending lots of cash on two hardware ski's and just before that all the talk and hype for XBONEX and SAD..... You simply can't say you don't give a damn about hardware and you are the ones hyping hardware more than anybody else..... "most powerful console", 12TF, hardware raytracing leak plants when also suggesting the PS5 will be weaker.... This is a company that's pushing hardware more than anybody else, it's just that they don't have the software to push said hardware atm.... So irrespective of what they say, they won't build a huge ecosystem based on that alone, the lack of compelling software. MS can be on every known device to man, it won't change that fact, unless their software improves by leaps and bounds.... I'll tell you this, MS would love for Series X to sell 200 million copies, they would gloat and post numbers every quarter if it was tracking that way for next gen..

So MS is like this, if hardware sales filter, the excuse is, we don't care about hardware, our games are on every device, but then their games being on every device is certainly not selling close to as much software as PS exclusives on a single device, so their PR is not convincing either way.

Every body seems to forget, that MS predicted 1 billion Xbone units would be sold at the beginning of this gen, MS is certainly not as services based as they'd like you to believe. It's excuses for failures either way.....

We know all this, the question is:
Does it make sense (I.E. will it work)... I don't think the "low cost of entry" is viable for the client (paying a recurring fee makes no sense if you play mostly the same game throughout the year, and it makes less sense if you play older games in the library, it also locks you to that library)... So you end up paying much more at the end of the year.

However, people seem to like that format in other markets, case in point Netflix and streaming audio services, but they started by offering people some things they wanted, MS's offer is only mildly interesting to a lot of people, the most interesting games they have were released 10+ years ago.

Obviously reducing friction and multiplying the points of entry, offering compelling hardware, etc. will make the service more attractive, but they need to fix their first party output quality (focus less on the services/monetization scheme and more on the actual offer).

and for the client some questions will remain un-answered:
1 - Will DLC/expansions be included in the games on gamepass? you could end-up with glorified "demos" on the base service. Case in point, a fighting game could be released on gamepass and you would end up having to buy hundreds of dollars of costumes and new characters anyway.
2 - The service offers 400 games now (I checked last week), let's say I love Gears 5 and want to play it for years and years, will they rotate titles (potentially removing my favorite games)? Will they make sure that existing games still work in 10 - 15 years (seems so, but who knows)? What about licensing issues for various contents?

and obviously, we already have PSNow on the Sony side, it had almost 1 million registered users and offers much of the same features (stream and download games, however the streaming is generally of a lesser quality, but in the end they both aren't enticing as a way to play games).

Personally, I don't like that kind of services for games, because having a library of games makes sense, you play the same games for weeks/months at a time, maybe days for a lesser game and better player. so paying a monthly fee to access a library will not make monetary sense (180$ a year, you buy 3 AAA games on 2 AAA games and a couple of older titles + on sale Indie games, this is a lot of play time).

Also, if you play games that are already free like Fortnite, War Frame, etc. that makes no sense... the odd time you will come out of your cave to play an SP game, you may as well just buy it.

MilkyJoe

So you are not pretending to misunderstand, but actually BELIEVE in the PR that Microsoft intentionally delayed their Scarlet exclusives for one year?

Nevermind starting a buisness, you are not very cautious about what info get fed to you.

Both gens are x86, developing will be easier for cross gen, millions of xbox one customers that are not ready to upgrade will still buy your products. what part of business do you need a lesson on?

PS I'm struggling to think when cross gen wasn't a thing...

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You are supposing Sony will be able to produce so many consoles for games such as Horizon 2 be profitable. I can see games such as Bloodborne 2, Gran Turismo 7, Demons souls remake at full exclusivity on launch date. But I have doubts about God of war or Horizon 2
God of War and Horizon 2 will definitely be PS5 exclusives and they won't be crossgen
Nope, the only info we got is that 20% of ps sold consoles are pro. I think the same goes for xbox one x.

Good for you, but you could play Halo 5 with much better graphics if it wouldn't be hold by shitty xbone hardware. I mean, the trailer looks like a regular current gen game, nothing outstanding.

Let me ask you this, as you are going to buy SeX .
What would you prefer
1) A 10/10 looking Halo game, true next-gen, but it would be available only on xbox series,
or
2) A 7/10 looking Halo game, a current gen game with bells and whistles, available on all xbox platforms ?
Yep, in hindsight I bet Halo Infinite's trailer not giving us that next generation feel is because of the XB1

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If Sony are going to be incorporating SSDs into gameplay designs EX: Spider-man PS5 demo and making bigger or more detailed worlds, they could really do some damage with PS5 exclusives early on

XSX will be limited

Last edited:

Alebrije

I wont buy the next MS console if it does not has great exclusives ( at least on the MS universe ) . It seems I will keep my XboneX more time than expected and being honest its fine since its a great console.

Now wait for PS5 news and exclusive releases...

JLB

Banned
You are assuming next gen experience is the goal of Sony. How does that even work? Next gen experience is the MEANS, what Sony use to get people to upgrade. The idea that you believe Sony want to offer next gen gameplay as some kind of charity, is mind boggling to me.

You say maybe Sony could offer games without the next gen machine. i say the next gen machine being sold is the GOAL, so you are saying Sony should stop selling consoles...

you are missing my point entirely. Will elaborate after barbecue.

nikolino840

I'm not worried about Xbox games studios exclusives,they Will come..
I would like to not see anymore a game that Will come out on PS/PC/switch and not on Xbox

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty much PR since they lost significant marketshare this generation. What they believe ultimately is irrelevant. Third parties will dictate where the support goes, and if current gen sales drop off a cliff like PS360 games did six years ago, everyone will move on.

FYI you won't find a gaming PC or any low system requirements for game released recently that has a weak of a CPU found in Xbox one X....again, you're falling for PR.
Well since Microsoft is pushing for Xcloud (mobile, PC), Game Pass (Xbox, PC), it makes sense for third parties to go with the Xbox. More devices, and eventually more people IF Microsoft is able to get them on their platform. It's a big IF of course, but their strategy doesn't depend on XSX, which is a good thing.

farmerboy

No problem with any of this. Sounds like a well thought out initiative and new ecosystem to grow their business in new ways. Although I'm still unsure how you get big 3rd party games onto gamepass without moneyhatting.

But they best believe that right now, Sony and one of their 1st parties is working on a game demo, that will show off ps5's capabilities as unique and ONLY on ps5.

I don't know, maybe HZD where you're on a stormbird, flying through an electrical storm that's opening up rifts in time. As you fly through those rifts you immediately transport over a busy city skyscape, bang into a Jurassic period, bang over freshly industrialised London. And 100 million people already in an ecosystem they like will say they want in.

SNG32

While I will admit this is a different strategy then what they have done previous. Even Xbox one they launched with exclusives but I guess there doing this for game pass. I figure once they reach 20 million in the Xbox series X consoles sold they will start putting exclusives. Two years should be enough time for them to reach 20 million. If not you can expect Xbox one versions. Seems like Xbox is looking at forward compatibility like phones.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I know it wouldn’t be the sole reason, but is there any chance that this cross-gen approach is partially connected to X-Cloud? I seem to recall the X-Cloud servers consisting of not even Xbox One Xs, but the spec equivalent of S models.

That kind of tells me that there’s tech and cost obstacles with getting sufficiently advanced hardware into these server farms. As such, it may make perfect sense to support Xbox One for longer, so that X-Cloud doesn’t miss out on new games, or have to undergo a major, possibly infeasible, tech transition.

I’m almost positive this will be there Day 1. They said no exclusives, not that games couldn’t look amazingly better.

CrisPy2019

Welllllll......

I didn't expect any next gen exclusive until the gen starts anyway which is what late November early December?

So basically a year.

And then when the consoles are out they are current gen anyway. Therefore again no "next gen" exclusives.

So what's the problem? :)

As i already said in the other thread, you are not offering any new info. He is just reiterating Microsoft's official stance for the last month or two. Very soon we will see where this road leads.
That's not their stance from the last month or two, that's been their stance for the last going on 4 years. All of this was divulged from the second Project Scorpio was announced, anyone acting shocked or surprised about this is concern trolling flat out.

Kingthrash

It was common for both platforms in this gen, so I don't see the big news here.

It's too early to say now if the games developed from the studios they recently gained will be good, but if they rushed them out now and they became mediocre that would mean people would believe even less in Microsoft.

And that's a thing they can't afford after the Xbox One
Yeah...just like they didnt rush crackdown ...it turned out fantastic for them.....right

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah...just like they didnt rush crackdown ...it turned out fantastic for them.....right

Well, Crackdown 3 went a production hell, so it's pretty common those games gets pretty bad. Duke Nukem Forever went the same fate, together with The Last Guardian.

It's not exactly a Microsoft thing.

Kingthrash

At the end of the day...announcing that you wont get 1st party games for 2 years nor forward compatible after 2 years is more than a huge blow...its a catastrophe. Why, buy a xbox when the makers will not support it? The only reason they are even launching a console is to keep their subscription base as high as possible.

We are customers...its time to act like it.
Demand better than this or it will only get worse

Fucking lol at all the schizos calling Zhuge a microsoft mouthpice when he writes two tweets about them, he has been mainly reporting on sony sales numbers and rumors from sony for yeeeears, take a break from the war people, go outside, take the dog for a walk.

demigod

I understand how consoles work in terms of financial gubbins, and everything you said makes sense.

But this is a new take on things, and to dismiss it so quickly before it’s even been tried is pretty foolish.

I get you want big exclusives to drawer people into your new tech, but let’s be serious for a second here... MS are dead last. The people who are fans are going to be people already in the ecosystem. Yes, they can get new people on board with new consoles, but what’s more important is more people are playing Xbox. This isn’t Ps4 to PS5, that shits off the charts. They can’t compete with that. So they have to compete in their own way.

And while I do agree that it may not be the best way to do it, it still seems like a viable solution.

Look, I’m not 100% on anything Ms is doing here, and I’m fully on Sonys side with regard to all of this. Two consoles? Shit. Cross gen? Well it’s common but yes they do need more to sell the new hardware. Lower spec? May as well give in now. Slow ass SSD? This is the battleground.

But I’ll be picking up both, because that’s what I do haha.

Funny last year you said PS5 will have no exclusive, guess you realize how dumb that was.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Just a hunch

Based on this situation my predicton is Series X early numbers will be lower than Xbox One

One first year got Dead Rising 3, Ryse, FM5, Killer Instinct, Titanfall....

This..nothing...maybe hellblade 2 if it makes it in early 2021....

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Funny last year you said PS5 will have no exclusive, guess you realize how dumb that was.

Did I? Cross gen maybe is what I meant at least.

Just a hunch

Based on this situation my predicton is Series X early numbers will be lower than Xbox One

One first year got Dead Rising 3, Ryse, FM5, Killer Instinct, Titanfall....

This..nothing...maybe hellblade 2 if it makes it in early 2021....

Halo infinite is a launch title and is next gen. Unless you’re one of those weird people who thinks because it who’ll work on older hardware it couldn’t possibly be next gen 🤣

Uh oh....

PS5 “ONLY” titles at PS5 launch. Again, PS5 ONLY.

skneogaf

Why are some of you lot forgetting about the ps4 lack of exclusive games at the beginning of its time. Games take much longer to make nowadays which is why we only got gran turismo sport and not a full game and only one gta game in 6 years.

Both platforms will have a few games out in the first 12 months and continue with 6ish per year as was the case for the playstation 3 and 4 and for the xbox 360.

The xbox one was the exception but Microsoft acquired lots of studios so I'm sure they will go back to matching whatever Sony can do release wise.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

As I said in a different thread I've always had an xbox and Nintendo in my home. I guess I wont be buying the new xbox.

Whoever is in charge of messaging is giving me vibes of the X one launch, and that is not a good thing. I guess it saves me some money? *shrug*

Airbus Jr

Banned
Did I? Cross gen maybe is what I meant at least.

Halo infinite is a launch title and is next gen. Unless you’re one of those weird people who thinks because it who’ll work on older hardware it couldn’t possibly be next gen 🤣

Correct me if im wrong but isnt that halo infonite is coming to x one?

Thats the word im hearing from news around here

edit : im getting it wrong

Of course what a mean is a full series x exclusive...

like..a real nextgen game that is not hampered by older hardware...

I assume you understood the message....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom