• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: Xbox studio exclusives won't be 90 hour AAA games but as close to AAA as possible.

The thing I like about MS's 1st party approach is there is a lot of diversity. They've got the 1st/3rd person shooters (Halo/Gears),open world wrpg (The Outer Worlds),new Fable by Playground, Racing Forza Motorsport/Horizon, CRPG(Wasteland 3) adventure (EverWild),2D platformer (Ori and the Will of the Wisp),Strategy(Age of Empires),Zomie game (State of Decay),Horror (Hellblade 2)platformer (Physchonauts 2)etc....

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
WTF. He said the EXACT opposite. Well crafted high quality games with a great story and detail, like hellblade.

What are you talking about? Did you even watch the video? Ffs
Hellblade was AA just like most of the games from their new studios will be. Hellblade 2 might even be AA

Hobbygaming

I think MS wants to be profitable. Just look at Dreams. Like 5 years in development and just 1500 sold copies in Japan in the first week and not even in the top 20 of NPD...
It’s just not worth it if you lose so much money in a game.
We don't know how much Dreams was to develop in the 1st place 🤷‍♂️

TBiddy

The thing I like about MS's 1st party approach is there is a lot of diversity. They've got the 1st/3rd person shooters (Halo/Gears),open world wrpg (The Outer Worlds),new Fable by Playground, Racing Forza Motorsport/Horizon, CRPG(Wasteland 3) adventure (EverWild),2D platformer (Ori and the Will of the Wisp),Strategy(Age of Empires),Zomie game (State of Decay),Horror (Hellblade 2)platformer (Physchonauts 2)etc....

We both know, that no matter what games they produce and good they are, they will never be as good in the eyes of certain people.

Hellblade was AA just like most of the games from their new studios will be. Hellblade 2 might even be AA
Whether Hellblade 2 is AA or AAA, it'll be a very good game. Hellblade was a GOTY contender. Ninja Theory can make AAA games. They've done it in the past. There's no reason to assume they won't in the future. They're around 80 devs I believe. And whats to a sony fanboy like you anyway? Why are you in here if u hate Xbox? Is your life that uninteresting? Go play your precious PS exclusives.

We both know, that no matter what games they produce and good they are, they will never be as good in the eyes of certain people.
True. Those certain people are not even gamers. They're people with low IQ's, no lives doing free adverstising for big corporations. An intelligent person realizes that competition is good for several reasons. Creates more jobs, produces more great games and we gamers can never complain about wanting more great games.

But yeah, many in here are more into brand loyalty and picking teams rather than playing games. It's sad really.

Hobbygaming

Whether Hellblade 2 is AA or AAA, it'll be a very good game. Hellblade was a GOTY contender. Ninja Theory can make AAA games. They've done it in the past. There's no reason to assume they won't in the future. They're around 80 devs I believe. And whats to a sony fanboy like you anyway? Why are you in here if u hate Xbox? Is your life that uninteresting? Go play your precious PS exclusives.
Hellblade was just ok IMO and 80 devs even sounds like an AA production

And I don't hate Xbox, I hate their focus on gamepass, there's a difference

12 tflops of power but with no exclusives, and those by MS are going to be smaller-scale, mediocre Gamepass productions. You couldn't make it up.

Sea of Thieves and its criminal lack of content at launch, and budget title Crackdown 3 were the start of this new philosophy. The next Forza is going to be basically the same game as last gen upscaled to 4k with a few extras, Halo has already been pared back as it's not cost effective to put the budget into these titles.

It's obvious. You don't get a free lunch. Gamepass is so cheap something has to pay for it somewhere. The first realization is that Gamepass titles are light experiences, the second is when the price of Gamepass increases.

TBiddy

12 tflops of power but with no exclusives, and those by MS are going to be smaller-scale, mediocre Gamepass productions. You couldn't make it up.

Sea of Thieves and its criminal lack of content at launch, and budget title Crackdown 3 were the start of this new philosophy. The next Forza is going to be basically the same game as last gen upscaled to 4k with a few extras, Halo has already been pared back as it's not cost effective to put the budget into these titles.

It's obvious. You don't get a free lunch. Gamepass is so cheap something has to pay for it somewhere. The first realization is that Gamepass titles are light experiences, the second is when the price of Gamepass increases.

Please do share gameplay videos of Forzax and Halo. Obviously you've seen it, right? Otherwise you wouldn't state it as fact. Right? Surely it's not because you're biased like very few others.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
148012.jpg

Reading through the post, I think he should be replaced because he doesn't know what he's saying.

Kokoloko85

Hows Crackdown

Well hellblade, phychonaughts and outerworlds were all bought recently. Not like the xbox had them rolling in this current gen.

You must see the difference between Halo, Gears, crackdown and seaof thieves with Sony and Nintendo’s exclusives?

Hellblade was just ok IMO and 80 devs even sounds like an AA production

And I don't hate Xbox, I hate their focus on gamepass, there's a difference

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice - 88 metacritic.

If Hellblade was just ok what would you describe games like Infamous, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Ratchet & Clank, Ni-Oh, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Killzone and 80% of the other PS4 exclusives that scored lower? Don't tell there's only a handful of more than okay PS4 games ..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If you like that you can play it on an Xbox 360 (or old PC). Why does anyone need a 12tflop $500 Series X?
It's about the mix of games you can have, and that the quality is high for AA as well as AAA. It's for the AAA games that you buy the XSX, but don't give me this bullshit that all games om Xbox were mediocre and shit... That's like saying every game on Playstation is a walking/dad simulator...

Kokoloko85

Who has time to read through 7 pages in a thread about a console they hate? Aren't you Sony guys supposed to be really busy playing exclusives or something?

Yeah alot are playing that exclusive Nioh 2. Between Playing Nioh 2 and Animal crossing its good to come online at times and tell the xbox fan boys whats important.... Games.
While they praise about how good there 12tfp machine is and how weak the PS5 is.
Do you want some games to play??

no idea what hes saying here. only the witcher 3 is a 90 hour AAA game. most games top out at 30-50 hours. RDR2, GoW, TLOU2, Horizon etc are in that range.

I am ok with an 8-10 hour campaign. nothing wrong with that. But i think hes saying we wont even have that. I dont want Hellblade quality AAA games from them. I want something like Uncharted or the PS3 god of war games. 10-15 hours max is fine with me.
10-15 hours for a $60 game when you can get dozens out of a more replayable RPG isn't really something I agree with.

Yeah alot are playing that exclusive Nioh 2. Between Playing Nioh 2 and Animal crossing its good to come online at times and tell the xbox fan boys whats important.... Games.
While they praise about how good there 12tfp machine is and how weak the PS5 is.
Do you want some games to play??

But I've been playing Ori and Animal Crossing too. Ori scoring higher than Ni Oh 2 btw so what's your point again?

TBiddy

Well hellblade, phychonaughts and outerworlds were all bought recently. Not like the xbox had them rolling in this current gen.

You must see the difference between Halo, Gears, crackdown and seaof thieves with Sony and Nintendo’s exclusives?

Of course Microsoft is lagging behind. I don't think anyone is seriously disputing that. But some of the posts in this thread is downright embarrasing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why is tris thread still running, I am all for trolling, but this seems to be like beating the dead (fake) horse.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fun facts:

In August last year, Sony purchased Insomniac Games, developer of the PS4-exclusive Spider-Man. That game has been the most successful superhero game of all time, selling 13 million copies. ... According to an SECC filing by Sony they paid $229 Million, mostly in cash, for the studio. That's a bit of a bargain.

Go Big, or Go GamePass.

Good point, but again you cant compare the amount of exclusives and the variety and quantity. If you can even call Ori a exclusive. Ill play it on my laptop lol

Sure play it on your laptop, your Game Boy color or whatever, that's exactly what MS wants you to do. More $$$ to them.

Also once again it's on Xbox, not on Playstation and scoring higher than 90% of your PS exclusives. That's the point. Bye.

It's about the mix of games you can have, and that the quality is high for AA as well as AAA. It's for the AAA games that you buy the XSX, but don't give me this bullshit that all games om Xbox were mediocre and shit... That's like saying every game on Playstation is a walking/dad simulator...

This is not about what's been on Xbox years ago, it's about their new strategy with the Gamepass-effect of shorter, smaller games being pumped out to keep them subs rolling in. My issue is this - we've got the indie marketplace on old gen consoles and PC where we all can enjoy these indie and AA experiences for years. There's a place for it already and thats great. But Series X with its specs should be trying to compete with PS5's big productions that move the needle, push boundaries for console gaming and strive for GotY greatness, otherwise what is the point?

Of the games coming to Series X, only Halo seems to me like an AAA project, but Halo is a tired franchise, so it's not exciting to many on the PS platform (you should be pushing MS to produce new AAA I.Ps).

Kokoloko85

Sure play it on your laptop, your Game Boy color or whatever, that's exactly what MS wants you to do. More $$$ to them.

Also once again it's on Xbox, not on Playstation and scoring higher than 90% of your PS exclusives. That's the point. Bye.

Its not on gameboy colour....but considering Microsoft are saying they wont be making much triple A exclusives for there 2nd $500+ machine in 3 years then maybe the games will be more suited for gameboy colour?? But for people who dont want to pay that for another console, they can play those games on a cheap laptop. Something you cant do with Playstation and Nintendo.

MS wants to sell consoles and games lets not pretend any different that It sold of HALF of PS4.

You enjoy Ori fella. Ill be playing games like God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Naughty Dogs next game, Probably a Miyazaki Exclusive and a bunch fo smaller games too. Carry on pretending

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I thought it was cool they were going more AA, but booty said they are pushing everyone towards AAA. AAA means focus tested kill kill kill games aimed at attention deficient teens, so booo.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice - 88 metacritic.

If Hellblade was just ok what would you describe games like Infamous, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Ratchet & Clank, Ni-Oh, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Killzone and 80% of the other PS4 exclusives that scored lower? Don't tell there's only a handful of more than okay PS4 games ..

Hellblade got MC bump because “ooooo, dis is a game about bootstrapping mental illness away + progressive themes.”

These things appeal to people who have no experience with actual, irl debilitating mental illness; and those that do find gamefying real life pain distasteful. A game about mental illness that actually meant something would have to transmit feelings like the terror of being rejected for disability because you were not ‘disabled enough’ and staring down the possibility of being homeless; the process of finding a med cocktail that allows to get up in the morning that you can actually pay for; losing all your friends because you are a downer or uncomfortably weird; or having to explain to potential employers the five year break in employment history; or the actual hellish pain that drives some to override the most powerful instinct we have: self preservation.

Treating debilitating Mental illness has nothing to do with being a cool looking hot chick warrior stabbing illness away. Stupid exploitative game is stupid and exploitative.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This is not about what's been on Xbox years ago, it's about their new strategy with the Gamepass-effect of shorter, smaller games being pumped out to keep them subs rolling in. My issue is this - we've got the indie marketplace on old gen consoles and PC where we all can enjoy these indie and AA experiences for years. There's a place for it already and thats great. But Series X with its specs should be trying to compete with PS5's big productions that move the needle, push boundaries for console gaming and strive for GotY greatness, otherwise what is the point?

Of the games coming to Series X, only Halo seems to me like an AAA project, but Halo is a tired franchise, so it's not exciting to many on the PS platform (you should be pushing MS to produce new AAA I.Ps).
Coalition, Playground, 343i, The Initiative, Turn 10 Studios and Ninja Theory (maybe) all have budgets to create AAA games. They just also have studios that develop AA games. Why is it so bad that they would actually have a range of stuff, and not just only AAA titles.

The interview is from August 2019(not recent) and specifically about Double Fine and Ninja Theory not XGS as a whole. Hellblade II is made by 100 person team and will be never be 90 hours long anyway, 20 hours at most. I am going to watch the whole video now.
Yep and the most telling sentence he said was "what we want to do is take the State of Decay franchise from Undead Labs and help them turn it into a AAA game" (Paraphrased)

Last edited:
Coalition, Playground, 343i, The Initiative, Turn 10 Studios and Ninja Theory (maybe) all have budgets to create AAA games. They just also have studios that develop AA games. Why is it so bad that they would actually have a range of stuff, and not just only AAA titles.
You will also see Obsidan turned into a AAA studio with extra resources from MS.
Rare has AAA budgets, but they for some reason are locked into doing weird cartoony games. They need to get back to their platformer roots.
Double Fine and Compulsion will do those AA kooky games for diversity sake.

Vroadstar

Its not on gameboy colour....but considering Microsoft are saying they wont be making much triple A exclusives for there 2nd $500+ machine in 3 years then maybe the games will be more suited for gameboy colour?? But for people who dont want to pay that for another console, they can play those games on a cheap laptop. Something you cant do with Playstation and Nintendo.

MS wants to sell consoles and games lets not pretend any different that It sold of HALF of PS4.

You enjoy Ori fella. Ill be playing games like God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Naughty Dogs next game, Probably a Miyazaki Exclusive and a bunch fo smaller games too. Carry on pretending

He is a funny fella, flexing Ori as if you can only play on the X, and saying it's not on PS but everybody and his mother with a PC can play his favorite indie game too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

hyperbertha

By 90 hour he meant for campaign(in games like Halo Infinite) or main story(for RPGs).
If that is gamepass filler, than so are all SIE games(none of them took 90 hours). Halo Infinite/Hellblade II would be 20 hour at most.

Anything more than 50 hours for the main story of a RPG is a drag. Obsidian's narrative style does not fit that anyway.
The playtime isn't what defines AAA. UC4 > Sea of thieves you get what I mean? Its not a good sign when corporate guys say things like ''as close to AAA as possible''. Disappointing if Xbox is going to use 12 teraflops to render Sea of thieves 2.

What kind of brain diarrhea is this? Bro I slam dunked with your own stupid arguments now you're hurt ? 😂

Keep on posting lists of imaginary games btw. Xbox will have Halo Infinite, HellBlade 2, Everwild, Forza Motorsport 8, Playgrounds AAA RPG, Oblivions AAA RPG, The Initiative's AAA game and more. Straight facts.

Now go back to whatever basement you came from.

Last edited:
I thought it was cool they were going more AA, but booty said they are pushing everyone towards AAA. AAA means focus tested kill kill kill games aimed at attention deficient teens, so booo.

Hellblade got MC bump because “ooooo, dis is a game about bootstrapping mental illness away + progressive themes.”

These things appeal to people who have no experience with actual, irl debilitating mental illness; and those that do find gamefying real life pain distasteful. A game about mental illness that actually meant something would have to transmit feelings like the terror of being rejected for disability because you were not ‘disabled enough’ and staring down the possibility of being homeless; the process of finding a med cocktail that allows to get up in the morning that you can actually pay for; losing all your friends because you are a downer or uncomfortably weird; or having to explain to potential employers the five year break in employment history; or the actual hellish pain that drives some to override the most powerful instinct we have: self preservation.

Treating debilitating Mental illness has nothing to do with being a cool looking hot chick warrior stabbing illness away. Stupid exploitative game is stupid and exploitative.

Maybe it doesn't have to be that deep..? Maybe the game wasn't intending to be what you're describing at all..?

It's a videogame, a very good one at that exploring the topic of mental illness. and that's perfectly fine.

ZywyPL

Banned
What kind of brain diarrhea is this? Bro I slam dunked with your own stupid arguments now you're hurt ? 😂

Keep on posting lists of imaginary games btw. Xbox will have Halo Infinite, HellBlade 2, Everwild, Forza Motorsport 8, Playgrounds AAA RPG, Oblivions AAA RPG, The Initiative's AAA game and more. Straight facts.

Now go back to whatever basement you came from.

Still, we don't know what happens once those games are shipped, it's possible that the mentioned games will be launch titles, and after that all those studios wil work on smaller scale games, with lower budget/timeframe.

And please post a link to those cheap gaming laptops that can run current gen and Next Gen games. A cheap gaming laptop that can run PlayStation "exclusives" like Death Stranding or Horizon Zero Dawn for example.

Keep in mind current gen consoles are +/- 200/300$ to 400$ max for a One X I think.

Patiently waiting.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Maybe it doesn't have to be that deep..? Maybe the game wasn't intending to be what you're describing at all..?

It's a videogame, a very good one at that exploring the topic of mental illness. and that's perfectly fine.

point was MC bump was due to game selling itself as “progressive mental illness simulator making the world a better place“. The depression quest of AA games, if you will. The gameplay itself was average.

Top Bottom