• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt weighs in on PS5 I/O, PS5 vs XSX and what it means for PC.

Basically what we have known. Both have their advantages.

PS5 faster/Series X stronger.
Faster at what though, load times and texture streaming? Overall is the PS5 slower? The XSX's CPU speeds with 8 or 16 threads are slightly faster than PS5's CPU speeds with 8 right?

If not, what does the SSD for PS5 do that gives it the title of "fastest next-gen console" over the XSX?

Leyasu

Banned
You will see on Thursday. 45 GB current gen, remove duplicates, 128 GB disks, so quite an increase.

Whats your calculations ?
I, like you, are not a dev. I don't have any calculations. I unlike you are not making definitive statements. The onus is on you to show everyone the proof that you have in order to be able to say the things that you are stating definitively.

But even if a game is say 100GB, you don't need to load the full game into the ram I should imagine. So, again, how much will be needed? how much will have to be loaded into the ram or streamed in order to make ps5 games look like a gen above anything else? This you have stated numerous times, now tell us how this will happen..

No more of your turning the question bullshit. You have stated things a fact, now show us the receipts please.

You are going to go down the rabbit hole with that question. Just read the posts of the person that I quoted above you for an idea of the pandoras box you can open with that question.
Noted. I gather a wait and see approach is in order when it comes to all the questions regarding power between the two consoles

Ar¢tos

You will see on Thursday. 45 GB current gen, remove duplicates, 128 GB disks, so quite an increase.

Whats your calculations ?
100GB disks. From the specs it doesn't seem to be able to read 128GB ones.
Maybe with a firmware upgrade it can read them, but considering the cost difference between the discs, we will probably get 100GB + a big day one patch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
:pie_thinking:

Ori Dev: PS5’s Super-Fast SSD is Nice For First Party Titles But Multiplats Will Be Developed for the Lowest Common Denominator

On paper, the SSD inside the PS5 has the edge over the next-gen SSD inside the Xbox Series X, but according to Mahler, it doesn’t make sense for third-party developers to adjust their titles around Sony’s SSD. Instead, the Ori creator believes that the majority of third-party devs will just develop for the lowest common denominator – e.g. the Xbox Series X and PC.

“I would be shocked if most third party developers would not just develop their games for the lowest common denominator”, Mahler wrote on the ResetEra forums. “I mean, there's literally 0 chance that levels will get changed just because the PS5 can load them faster, simply because it's way too expensive and work intensive to do that.”

“The super-fast PS5 SSD is nice for first party, but it won't make any economical sense to heavily adjust your games to suit one particular platform. On PCs and the Xbox, you'll have to work with what's there. So it's 2 platforms against 1. The scenario pointed out in the OP is highly unlikely.”

😏

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
you don’t really think this argument holds up, do you? A 30fps tech demo with no AI versus a port of an older game? Epic didn’t say it was an exact match, but did say this same demo looks “awesome“ on series X and PC.

let’s at least wait and see how some AAA games look on the Series X before jumping to any conclusions. I’m personally very interested in Hellblade and Halo Infinite’s tech.

No AI? I think you are underselling it a bit (for example the animation system and how environment aware it is, simple but effective AI for insects and flock of birds, etc...), but I guess we shall see yes ;).

ToadMan

You can’t compare GCN TFLOPS to RDNA 2.0 tflops.
Thing is with current is that the TFLOPS a) couldn't be really used due to weak CPU and b) those are GCN Tflops, that's why it wasn't such a huge deal this gen.

But this completely changes nextgen, because:

1. We do not have a CPU Bottleneck anymore, so we can make much more use of the TFLOPs.

2. RDNA 2.0 is much more efficient than GCN (current gen), so basically, 1 Tflop of RDNA 2.0 is as powerful as 2 TFLops of GCN. So, you can still do a lot more work with 2TF's RDNA2 than you can with 500GF's of GCN.

Also, a difference the whole resolution and FPS is much more noticeable than having a little better textures.

Are you saying “these aren’t your daddies tflops son!” :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So it turns out you agree that performance is a relative measurement. Great - hopefully you‘ll remember that in your next incarnation to save me typing it all over again.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
He is not completely wrong , the Series X has the stronger parts, it has more BHP to talk in car terms.

What PS5 does is increase efficiency of the power available , so that it’s better utilized , but it can never produce 12 TF of power with a 10 TF gpu, same goes for memory bandwidth, cpu clock speed etc ..

you can’t make up the loss in CUs with only a faster GPU clock for example.
Some calculations will benefit of course.

but who says MS api and architecture isn’t also about maximizing all available hardware parts?
He is completely wrong about the variable clocks. It's not what he and many think it is.

TLZ

Banned
Stop linking to this post.
No developers or amd engineers have verified what librebrave typed up.
He is trying to spin a 'plausible sounding' story about activity-based hardware customisation created by Sony and thus why PS5 can run 95% of the time at 2.23ghz.

It is a just another tale, another movement.
At least wait for DF to ask tougher questions in the next round of unveil.
Why should I stop linking common sense?

Exodia

Banned
No AI? I think you are underselling it a bit (for example the animation system and how environment aware it is, simple but effective AI for insects and flock of birds, etc...), but I guess we shall see yes ;).

That's not AI that's 100% Niagara vfx.

1ff62003c4a9b343eff3e46bf5e6f68b.jpg

longdi

Banned
Some developers have appreciated it, If you read the replies ;). Plus if you read the various Cerny explanations in the presentation and interview it makes logical sense.

Which developers then? Why did brave wrote it as though it is a hardware perf enhancing secret sauce for PS5? Need receipts. 🤷‍♀️

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which developers then? Why did brave wrote it as though it is a hardware perf enhancing secret sauce for PS5? Need receipts. 🤷‍♀️

9BBC7VF.jpg

He did not write it as if it were some secret sauce or magic, what are you talking about?

Not sure what is problematic in what was said there beyond a bit so deep desire to believe it is all BS and marketing propaganda. I do not believe there is a receipt you would accept hence the goalpost moving image...

Devs wise, you need to do your homework yourself else you will keep thinking things are magic :p.

longdi

Banned
He did not write it as if it were some secret sauce or magic, what are you talking about?

Not sure what is problematic in what was said there beyond a bit so deep desire to believe it is all BS and marketing propaganda. I do not believe there is a receipt you would accept hence the goalpost moving image...

Devs wise, you need to do your homework yourself else you will keep thinking things are magic :p.

No goal post
This brave lad is painting a micro-center narrative, stealthy.
See what he follows up with...and the reee sony fans lapped it all up and spreading the same narrative.

Sony definitely went a more complicated and novel route, and that makes their solution more fascinating to discuss and dissect. But Microsoft may have worked smarter, not harder. Rather than delve deep and revamp their power control scheme and profiling tools, they just changed their form factor and component layout to increase dissipation capacity. This requires no new learning across every dev studio, only a relatively inexpensive BOM alteration once, upfront. And the result is a more powerful machine than Sony would make, in a familiar paradigm all devs can easily exploit.

While Microsoft don't thereby get the benefits of even higher clockspeed, they also don't get any drawbacks. Highly parallel code with little interdependency loves width more than speed. And recall that Mr. Cerny said RAM is "further away" in terms of cycles with high clocks. His estimation is that's worth it, but this may be a relative conclusion rather than an absolute one. If data has to stay in RAM longer before flushing, you have to wait longer to refill the RAM from the game package. With PS5's SSD, this may be a negligible hit to the bandwidth. But it would be a commensurately higher proportion on Series X, which may change the equation.

Does brave have any idea what Sony and MS really do with their gpu?
No.
So his attempt is as speculative and "movement-inspired" for everyone.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This brave lad is painting a micro-center narrative, stealthy.
See what he follows up with...and the reee sony fans lapped it all up and spreading the same narrative.

What are you talking about? You are moving the goalpost constantly. The harshest of doubt around anything positive for one side and the strongest of hope or lack of doubts for the other... sorry if it is not helping with the 9.2 TFLOPS GitHub narrative some are stil trying to spread.
He is not trying to paint himself as an insider, but someone who can form a coherent evidence based rational thought. Not sure why that makes your blood boil... unless...

... well, what I see is that you feel promised a dominating beast that destroys the competition in anything and everything and you yourselves are the first ones aware of it not being quite like that far away and the consoles being more neck and neck than you wanted them to be and now anything connecting the dots logically and supporting that argument needs to be BS... it just has to...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
What are you talking about? You are moving the goalpost constantly. The harshest of doubt around anything positive for one side and the strongest of hope or lack of doubts for the other... sorry if it is not helping with the 9.2 TFLOPS GitHub narrative some are stil trying to spread.
He is not trying to paint himself as an insider, but someone who can form a coherent evidence based rational thought. Not sure why that makes your blood boil... unless...

... well, what I see is that you feel promised a dominating beast that destroys the competition in anything and everything and you yourselves are the first ones aware of it not being quite like that far away and the consoles being more neck and neck than you wanted them to be and now anything connecting the dots logically and supporting that argument needs to be BS... it just has to...

No. I still believe in Philystine and his team. :messenger_bicep:

Everyone is crafting their narrative.
Mine still stands at the 52CU choice is akin to the 8GB PS4, something that caught Mark by surprise this round, hence the scrambling to 2.23ghz and trying to explain smartshift and variable clocks. Their fans are doing the 'micro-center' movement pretty well too.

We shall see, 2 more days....(well more likely another year.... 🤷‍♀️ )

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mine still stands at the 52CU choice is akin to the 8GB PS4, something that caught Mark by surprise this round, hence the scrambling to 2.23ghz

Haha 🤣... yep mad last minute overclock (yep sounds likely :rolleyes:) ... it sounds more and more like your wet dream of domination met with a 18% in FLOPS win is really disappointing you. You won, get over it ;).

I find it kind of cute trying to see if yet another narrative, this micro center stuff, sticks :).

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Faster at what though, load times and texture streaming? Overall is the PS5 slower? The XSX's CPU speeds with 8 or 16 threads are slightly faster than PS5's CPU speeds with 8 right?

If not, what does the SSD for PS5 do that gives it the title of "fastest next-gen console" over the XSX?
The difference between their CPU are small. 3.5ghz vs 3.8ghz. It’s basically nothing.

ZywyPL

Banned
So, again, how much will be needed? how much will have to be loaded into the ram or streamed in order to make ps5 games look like a gen above anything else? This you have stated numerous times, now tell us how this will happen..

No more of your turning the question bullshit. You have stated things a fact, now show us the receipts please.

PS5 SSD can transfer double the amount of data, effectively doubling it computing capabilities, think of an XBX with 16C/32T CPU and 20TF GPU.

/s

The difference between their CPU are small. 3.5ghz vs 3.8ghz. It’s basically nothing.

Hard to judge without the games. We saw even smaller differences in CPUs in current-gen systems, where in CPU-intensive scenes it was the weaker XB1 that had stable framerate or at least lower frame drops. Not to mention PS5 3,5Ghz is assuming the CPU runs at its full capabilities, taking away some power from the GPU, so the difference might be even bigger if the devs focus on full GPU utilization instead. Cerny during his presentation mentioned that before they incorporated SmartShift the CPU had a hard time running at 3GHz, so I don't know, I expect somewhere between 3.2-3.3Ghz in real-world applications. If/how much impact will it make? Only time will tell.

sinnergy

Haha 🤣... yep mad last minute overclock (yep sounds likely :rolleyes:) ... it sounds more and more like your wet dream of domination met with a 18% in FLOPS win is really disappointing you. You won, get over it ;).

I find it kind of cute trying to see if yet another narrative, this micro center stuff, sticks :).
Who knows, we all saw the Github leak, and the max frequency tested was 2 GHz, maybe Sony got lucky this gen with a GPU that can clock higher, 2 GHz was still high. So it could well be luck and being caught of guard, or it was always the plan there is no way to tell now . But we will hear the stories in a couple of years.
As it stands now, one runs at 2.3 GHz with 36 CU, and the other at 18.25 GHz with 52 CUs. Imo it’s like super charging a Honda Civic, instead of getting a Audio R8, it all feels a bit weird imo.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Xsex will see same res and in ideal scenario 3 or 4 FPS more if the port process doesn’t lose them (or they try to do more RT on Xsex - then it will run lower res and frames than PS5).

Self quote...

Destiny 2 - 60fps and 4k on both Xsex and PS5. A bigger jump in performance from ps4p to PS5 than xb1 to Xsex...

Called it .... as did many others.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Who knows, we all saw the Github leak, and the max framerate tested was 2 GHz, maybe Sony got lucky this gen with a GPU that can clock higher, 2 GHz was still high. So it could well be luck and being caught of guard, or it was always the plan there is no way to tell now . But we will hear the stories in a couple of years.
As it stands now, one runs at 2.3 GHz with 36 CU, and the other at 18.25 GHz with 52 CUs. Imo it’s like super charging a Honda Civic, instead of getting a Audio R8, it all feels a bit weird imo.

Except AMD have announced cards running at the speed Sony is getting. So Sony didn’t get lucky - maybe AMD got lucky sony showed them how high they could clock their cards.

Cerny specifically mentioned that if AMD cards are released with similar features - that doesn’t mean Sony used an off the shelf card, it means their collaboration was a success and carried over to standalone GPUs.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Mine still stands at the 52CU choice is akin to the 8GB PS4, something that caught Mark by surprise this round, hence the scrambling to 2.23ghz and trying to explain smartshift and variable clocks. Their fans are doing the 'micro-center' movement pretty well too.

It surprises me that people can't take 5 minutes to understand what smartshift is. Maybe they lack the mental capacity to understand it, or they understand it but it's more convenient to shit on it.

Lol tough time ahead of you . Be prepared for damage controlling 👀👀😂😂

Self quote...

Destiny 2 - 60fps and 4k on both Xsex and PS5. A bigger jump in performance from ps4p to PS5 than xb1 to Xsex...

Called it .... as did many others.

Of course, this is a lastgen game. It's not that demanding. Will be interesting as soon as next-gen only games arrive. But we will see.

I think we will find out as soon as DF compares the games. I mean, there have been many "downgrades" after showing "gameplay".

molly14

Going to be a tough watch for you Thursday I think 🤔 🤯

Of course, this is a lastgen game. It's not that demanding. Will be interesting as soon as next-gen only games arrive. But we will see.

I think we will find out as soon as DF compares the games. I mean, there have been many "downgrades" after showing "gameplay".
Not this time, these are all running on hardware rather than target specs like inside xbox episode we saw where everything was running on pc. Keep spinning though haha

I, like you, are not a dev. I don't have any calculations. I unlike you are not making definitive statements. The onus is on you to show everyone the proof that you have in order to be able to say the things that you are stating definitively.

But even if a game is say 100GB, you don't need to load the full game into the ram I should imagine. So, again, how much will be needed? how much will have to be loaded into the ram or streamed in order to make ps5 games look like a gen above anything else? This you have stated numerous times, now tell us how this will happen..

He was referring to XSX cross gen games only. That's my assumption. In that case, he's right to some degree. If he's stating PS5 exclusives will look an entire gen better than XSX exclusives built from the ground up on for XSX's more poweful console vs PS5 (Playgrounds new Fable, The Initiatives new project, Hellblade 2,The Coalitions(masters of UE) new game etc) then he indeed is living in a fanboy dream and will be incredibly let down. Surely he isn't this ignorant?

Last edited:
Lol tough time ahead of you . Be prepared for damage controlling 👀👀😂😂
I'm confused as to why this would be? You guys do know MS has a dedicated 1st party main E3 event in July where they will show off Hellblade 2, Playgrounds new Fable, The Initiatives new project etc) all of which will not be cross gen,but rather taking full advantage of the most powerful console ever using the very engine (UE5) to develop those games. Nanite is the game changer for UE5.

And I think most already know/expect most 3rd party games to look best on XSX in terms of resolution,framerates,ray tracing etc... vs PS5 having a small advantage in mere few seconds of faster load times. Having a few second faster loading times is not much of a selling point.

Last edited:
Not this time, these are all running on hardware rather than target specs like inside xbox episode we saw where everything was running on pc. Keep spinning though haha

Well they were just mostly AA cross gen games. Wait for the MS 1st party main E3 event in July. Then we all can make legit real world comparison's between XSX and PS5

I think it's quite telling that some on here are trying to use that bad MS May event full of AA cross gen games by C rated devs to imply that's all XSX is capable of, but then use that metric to compare against next gen AAA games.

What will be your guys excuses when cross gen games fade in a year?

Last edited:

ToadMan

This is exactly the kind of game that should play to Xsex strengths. Cross gen mutliplat game - all those terrorflops throwing around an XB1 game.

It’s not even a game that the PS5 SSD would assist with.

Yet there it is - same specs despite being in the Xsex “wheelhouse”.

So now the answer is “wait for Xsex next gen”?

Um - there aren’t any Xsex next gen games - they’re all cross gen - for 2 years at least. Well apart from indie dev 5 hour walking sims.

If that’s the response from MS, they’re toast this generation before a single box gets on the shelf.

Last edited:
Destiny 2 says different
That's your excuse? A cross gen game? Bungie also had parity with Destiny XB1 and PS4 versions. Wait for the DF head to head as one version probably will be more capable of holding native 4k,steadier framerates etc...
But again, Bungie aims for parity.

That's your excuse? A cross gen game? Bungie also had parity with Destiny XB1 and PS4 versions. Wait for the DF head to head as one version probably will be more capable of holding native 4k,steadier framerates etc...
But again, Bungie aims for parity.
No actual human being will notice frame resolution difference between dynamic 4k and locked 4k. However they will notice better loads times and no pop in better LOD and higher texture resolution due to io and data streaming of ps5 .

See there is always 2 sides to a coin. U think everyone will noitce dynamic 4k vs locked 4k and my opinion is different.

This is exactly the kind of game that should play to Xsex strengths. Cross gen mutliplat game - all those terrorflops throwing around an XB1 game.

It’s not even a game that the PS5 SSD would assist with.

Yet there it is - same specs despite being in the Xsex “wheelhouse”.

So now the answer is “wait for Xsex next gen”?

Um - there aren’t any Xsex next gen games - they’re all cross gen - for 2 years at least. Well apart from indie dev 5 hour walking sims.

If that’s the response from MS, they’re toast this generation before a single box gets on the shelf.

You're making things up. For instance, you do not know when Hellblade 2 is releasing. It's a full on next gen exclusive that's been in development ever since Hellblade 1 released. Bloobers new horror title is a next gen only game and full demonstrates why they went next gen only and is slated for and launch XSX launch title. Thus far, PS5 has only Godfall confirmed as a launch title and that looks cross gen.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well they were just mostly AA cross gen games. Wait for the MS 1st party main E3 event in July. Then we all can make legit real world comparison's between XSX and PS5

I think it's quite telling that some on here are trying to use that bad MS May event full of AA cross gen games by C rated devs to imply that's all XSX is capable of, but then use that metric to compare against next AAA games.

What will be your guys excuses when cross gen games fade in a year?

Will you be saying it isn’t fair to compare PS5 exclusives to XSX first party because of cross gen also?

MS was perfectly fine with showing Inside Xbox games as a good representation of next gen. It’s us the audience that felt otherwise, so I’m very intrigued to see just how different XSX first party will look for 2020 and 2021.

ZywyPL

Banned
He was referring to XSX cross gen games only. That's my assumption. In that case, he's right to some degree. If he's stating PS5 exclusives will look an entire gen better than XSX exclusives built from the ground up on for XSX's more poweful console vs PS5 (Playgrounds new Fable, The Initiatives new project, Hellblade 2,The Coalitions(masters of UE) new game etc) then he indeed is living in a fanboy dream and will be incredibly let down. Surely he isn't this ignorant?

Yeah, like some people are completely ignoring the fact that 99% of games are 3rd party multi-platform titles, and no one will stop those publishers from releasing cross-gen titles. There will be also XBX-only titles as well from independent developers and maybe even some 1st party studios. Like, realistically, PS5 will get three-four 1st party launch exclusives no available anywhere else, not even PS4 or PC, will it matter for the next 2-3 years until the next wave of exclusives shows up? Highly doubt it.

No actual human being will notice frame resolution difference between dynamic 4k and locked 4k. However they will notice better loads times and no pop in better LOD and higher texture resolution due to io and data streaming of ps5 .

See there is always 2 sides to a coin. U think everyone will noitce dynamic 4k vs locked 4k and my opinion is different.

People do notice compromised framerates vs more stable framerates. Its a common complaint. I disagree. People will not care, nor notice a few second longer load time. Thats nonsense. And people will also notice better ray tracing and it can completely change the look of a game. And XSX has far more CU"s that favor ray tracing.

If you're tring to imply that a few second longer load times is more impactful that playing a game with more solid framerates, better visual fidelty, better ray tracing capability and anything else gpu related, then i'm going to confidently disagree with you.

chilichote

People do notice compromised framerates vs more stable framerates. Its a common complaint. I disagree. People will not care, nor notice a few second longer load time. Thats nonsense. And people will also notice better ray tracing and it can completely change the look of a game. And XSX has far more CU"s that favor ray tracing.

If you're tring to imply that a few second longer load times is more impactful that playing a game with more solid framerates, better visual fidelty, better ray tracing capability and anything else gpu related, then i'm going to confidently disagree with you.

People will notice pop ins. They will notice loading times. But theywon't notice any differences in resolution. And Sony's best-selling games are those that only run at 30FPS. It is amusing to see the focus of Xbox friends when the majority of players are not interested in them. Otherwise they would play on the PC anyway^^

Will you be saying it isn’t fair to compare PS5 exclusives to XSX first party because of cross gen also?

MS was perfectly fine with showing Inside Xbox games as a good representation of next gen. It’s us the audience that felt otherwise, so I’m very intrigued to see just how different XSX first party will look for 2020 and 2021.
No, not at all. Because I know MS has Hellblade2, Playgrounds new AAA Fable, The Initiatives new game,The Coalitions new game, coming in the next year or two.

And Halo Infinite will look amazing on XSX.

Are you seriously trying to impy that the horrible May event that was full of AA, C tier cross gen games is the best reflection of what XSX (the more powerful console vs the PS5)is capable of? This is a nice convienant play by some sony fans, but that will be short lived.

MS made the wrong call by doing that event, no doubt. But everyone knows the MS 1st party main event in July will showcase what XSX is trully capable of since Hellblade 2, The Initiatives new game, Obsidians new AAA rpg,The Coalitions new game,Playgrounds new Fable ARE NOT CROSS GEN AA C TIER GAMES and will be using UE5

Actually frame rates might end up smoother on ps5 . xsx cpu still has to get involved with IO and ps5 cpu is completely off that task. So don't assume better gpu would result in better frame. Ofcpurse some game engines that are gpu dependent might but these are all to he seen in real world performance.

Yes overall Ray tracing will be better on xsx but ps5 can shoot more rays as the gpu is clocked much higher and thats desirable for raytracing as well as CU count

Last edited:
People will notice pop ins. They will notice loading times. But theywon't notice any differences in resolution. And Sony's best-selling games are those that only run at 30FPS. It is amusing to see the focus of Xbox friends when the majority of players are not interested in them. Otherwise they would play on the PC anyway^^
1. There is no evidence to suggest there will be pop ins.
2.You do not know if people will or will not notice resolution differences as games with lower resolutions typically look softer in general and less crisp and DF will point this out.
3. Notice how you conveniantly left out framerates. I'm not talking only 1st party. I'm talking multiplats as well.
4. The rest you said is another topic entirely

Last edited:
Actually frame rates might end up smoother on ps5 . xsx cpu still has to get involved with IO and ps5 cpu is completely off that task. So don't assume better gpu would result in better frame. Ofcpurse some game engines that are gpu dependent might but these are all to he seen in real world performance.

Yes overall Ray tracing will be better on xsx but ps5 can shoot more rays as the gpu is clocked much higher and thats desirable for raytracing as well as CU count

You're making shit up. You DO NOT KNOW if the I/o in the XSX uses the CPU. Please stop making up shit. You read that speculative armchair nonsene on gaming forums and nothing else. And if you do know, provide a link with a dev saying so. Even MATT says XSX is more powerful in MANY WAYS. Thomas Muluer (head of Moon Studios) the other day said to expect XSX games to have the resolution and FRAMERATE advantage.

So your word vs an actual dev

Last edited:
Top Bottom