• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matthew Vaughn NOT Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/mat...ce-him/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Deadline said:
Matthew Vaughn has decided not to direct the sequel to 20th Century Fox’s hit spinoff X-Men: First Class. Ready for the next shocker? Atop the studio’s replacement short list is Bryan Singer, who launched the X-Men feature franchise with the first two superb films, and who has been a guiding influence in this spinoff by writing the treatment and producing. If this works out, Singer and Vaughn would essentially be switching roles. Vaughn, who wrote the treatment for the sequel for X-Men: First Class–Days of Future Past that was scripted by Simon Kinberg, would step back to produce the film with Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner.

Vaughn will do another film for Fox, and I’m hearing it will be the drama Secret Service, an adaptation of the Mark Millar comic book series that Vaughn has been working on with the author.

Fox already has the script for X-Men: First Class–Days Of Future Past, and set to return is Fox’s First Class cast that includes Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence. Fox hopes to make the July 18, 2014 release date it set for the sequel, but it will have to find a director quickly. I’m not exactly sure why Vaughn is bowing out, but he is pretty picky on projects that he directs. You’ll recall that he briefly bowed out of the original First Class film, prompting Fox to start a search before he changed his mind and returned. Vaughn also passed on directing the sequel to his Kick-Ass film, entrusting the job to Jeff Wadlow. Wadlow is shooting Kick-Ass 2: Balls To The Wall right now with Aaron Johnson and Chloe Moretz.

The studio just navigated a similar situation when Rupert Wyatt decided not to come back and direct the sequel to Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. The studio had a cream of the crop group of directors waiting to take Wyatt’s place, and the search ended when Fox’s top choice, Cloverfield helmer Matt Reeves, committed to the job.

Fox has been trying to up the pedigree of directors who make films at the studio, and bringing back Singer while keeping Vaughn in the fold would be a pretty good feat. The studio did not immediately comment but I’ll update my story when I have more information. Singer’s next film is Jack The Giant Killer for New Line.

Isn't Secret Service mediocre? I think I read the first issue and I don't remember anything about it.

Hopefully Bryan Singer doesn't dial down the comic book feel of the movie like he always does.

aku:jiki

I'm usually not into superhero movies but First Class was a huge surprise for me, very good movie. Guess I'm not seeing the sequel if it's by Singer.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
tumblr_m9bi3eczHb1r71uie.gif

OSHAN

Bring Singer back. X2 is one of the best and I am one of the few people that find Superman Returns to be brilliant.

FairyD

I've been waiting for a Days of Future Past movie since the first x-men movie. I don't care who directs it, even if it's bad and staring beiber as Wolverine, I will still see it first day and give it a 5 star review.

S1kkZ

there was an interivew where he said that the production of first class was a nightmare. the film was made on a super tight schedule and it was too much stress for him. i remember the production of first class beeing rushed (which you can see in the cg effects), the vfx supervisor also commented on that (only had a few months for all the effects).

Raguel

I'm ok with this. The only reason why I enjoyed First Class was because of Fassbender and Mcavoy. Everything else was mediocre to awful (christ Emma Frost was detroyed by January Jones' "portrayal" and the other mutants...ugh). And I like Singer. What I can't wait and hope for is a scene with Fassbender and Mcaovy together with Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart acting the shit out the movie. The awesomeness would just explode the universe.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Agreed. X2 is still in the god tier for comic book movies. I really hope Singer takes back over.

the fuck it is, its still great fun but its been cast aside since its release. It was god tier maybe 5 years ago or so.

either way fox... just realize the bar has been raised (awesome Batman trilogy, Avengers, etc)...and dont fuck up days of future past its a big big story in the xmen history. Fox blowing its load on this would be like the avengers blowing their load on the kree/skrull war or something. Maybe they should just do an Xmen movie that shows the team being what they're known for, teamwork under pressure, doing the right thing even though they are persecuted. No more muties crying each other to sleep, need some real heroics without regard for the price or reward children of the fucking Atom style.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
redo first class but with the superior "Magneto" script.

Honestly, I think singer could do a really good job.

the fuck it is, its still great fun but its been cast aside since its release. It was god tier maybe 5 years ago or so.

either way fox... just realize the bar has been raised (awesome Batman trilogy, Avengers, etc)...and dont fuck up days of future past its a big big story in the xmen history. Fox blowing its load on this would be like the avengers blowing their load on the kree/skrull war or something. Maybe they should just do an Xmen movie that shows the team being what they're known for, teamwork under pressure, doing the right thing even though they are persecuted. No more muties crying each other to sleep, need some real heroics without regard for the price or reward children of the fucking Atom style.

This isn't blowing their wad. Blowing their wad would be to give us a proper Dark Phoenix movie.

shira

Just watched it. Holds up better than TDK/R or Avengers.
You don't need special FX or some stupid NY chase sequence to be a good superhero movie.

X2 was really good.

paul187

I'm okay with this. I would have prefered if Vaughn stuck around, especially after passing on KickAss 2. Singer is the best replacement though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom