• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is a beautiful looking game

untitled-60.jpg

I'm at awe with what Rockstar can accomplish, and this is the PS3 version. The lighting looks great, and is probably what helps make the facial details stand out.

I can't wait to see what they can do next generation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It does indeed look gorgeous. It has that Rockstar patented Super Budget to back it too, so you end up with a billion custom textures, decals and details scattered throughout levels making them look all the more impressive.

Darklord

Banned
image.php

Whaaaaaa?

The gameplay in MP3 is great. Easily one of the best shooters this generation, if not the best, and this is coming from someone who hardly plays games anymore.

It was shit compared to MP2. Super bullet sponges aren't fun to shoot. I thought the game was ok overall though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, the only graphical/art issue I have is it still cant shake that Rockstar patented Clay Engine look.

It's a weird looking game, it's one of those rare games that looks better in stills then it does in motion. Something just felt off when I played it.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm actually playing it right now. Max Payne 3 is gorgeous and a blast to play. Online MP never got its hooks into me, though.

Bumhead

Banned
Just finished Max Payne 3 today. It's definitely a looker.

Enjoyed the game itself a hell of a lot too. My opinion on it was soured quite a bit by the rubbish end sequence but everything prior to that was pretty good.

UrbanRats

Oh, the only graphical/art issue I have is it still cant shake that Rockstar patented Clay Engine look.

I don't have a problem with that, but i don't like Max Payne 3's color palette, it's unnatural and weird, imo.
Aside from that, it looks incredible, especially the Favelas level.

I also loved the gameplay, the only real (huge) issue were the constant interruption, which made a second playthrough all the more frustrating.
The shooting is so much fun.. and they keep pulling you out of the game, ugh.

Darklord

Banned
They're not bullet sponges? One-shot kill if you aim for the head. Don't use auto aim.

Yes they are. Especially late game. You can dump 3 shotgun rounds into a guys chest and they just fall over, stand back up, fall over, stand back up. Same with unloading an entire round if machine gun ammo. You couldn't reload in bullet time either so if you ran out and were in the middle of jumping, you're dead. I don't want to be forced to aim for the head everytime. And even then some had helmets I'm pretty sure.

MormaPope

Banned
It was shit compared to MP2. Super bullet sponges aren't fun to shoot. I thought the game was ok overall though.

Every enemy in Max Payne 3 dies from one headshot though. And enemies without body armor die with two or even one shot to the chest. Enemies with body armor die in one hit sometimes you hit the right point in the leg, one shot to the neck also kills them in one hit.

Yes they are. Especially late game. You can dump 3 shotgun rounds into a guys chest and they just fall over, stand back up, fall over, stand back up. I don't want to be forced to aim for the head everytime. And even then some had helmets I'm pretty sure.

That criticism is entirely on you then with the bolded. "Why be efficient when I can try not being efficient?" isn't a good argument for bullet spongeness.

I also loved the gameplay, the only real (huge) issue were the constant interruption, which made a second playthrough all the more frustrating.
The shooting is so much fun.. and they keep pulling you out of the game, ugh.
Yep. The shooting was as good as it's ever been, they just don't let you have enough of it at any one time without being stopped by another 5 minute unskippable cutscene.

It definitely got the Rockstar touch, with the gritty, glitzy, world design and VERY impressive animation systems.

Too bad you can't replay it without sitting through hours of mostly unskippable cutscenes! Dat loading

Darklord

Banned
Every enemy in Max Payne 3 dies from one headshot though. And enemies without body armor die with two or even one shot to the chest. Enemies with body armor die in one hit sometimes you hit the right point in the leg, one shot to the neck also kills them in one hit.

That criticism is entirely on you then with the bolded. "Why be efficient when I can try not being efficient?" isn't a good argument for bullet spongeness.

So it's my fault for not aiming at the head EVERY time? If I'm dumping shotgun shells at point blank range into a guys chest and he doesn't die that's a bullet sponge. It make jumping into bullet time useless, you couldn't run in guns blazing you had to hide back and take careful aims at the head. That's not Max Payne.

Ragus

Banned
You know what I loved about MP3? You have a rifle and you pick up a handgun. Rifle disappears under the coat? No way, you hold it in your left hand.

Technology ;_;.

MormaPope

Banned
So it's my fault for not aiming at the head EVERY time? If I'm dumping shotgun shells at point blank range into a guys chest and he doesn't die that's a bullet sponge. It make jumping into bullet time useless, you couldn't run in guns blazing you had to hide back and take careful aims at the head. That's not Max Payne.

Well once they're on the ground why don't you take the easy execution shot to the head? I'm not even talking about the melee-headshot combo, if they're on the ground just shoot them in the head.

I'm not going to argue though, you have problems with the game that come from your end, I'e played the game multiple times and I didn't need to use cover that much.

While Max Payne 3 is definitely quite a different beast than Remedy's originals, and that's not going to be for everyone; it sounds like you really suck at Max Payne 3 >_>

Darklord

Banned
I'm not going to argue though, you have problems with the game that come from your end, I'e played the game multiple times and I didn't need to use cover that much.

Actually, a lot of people had that same complaint. There were other issues with the same play too. I enjoyed the visuals, audio, story, and I liked playing as Max again but as soon as I was done, I was done.

Clearly you need to go back and play MP1. The enemies late in the game take a ton of rounds and can generally kill you in one or two shots, even on the easiest difficulty. And that's before you even consider the bosses.

Eideka

Banned
Kudos to Rockstar for the tremendous visual improvements of the PC version, I never expected it to look that much better than the 360/PS3 versions.

Dennis's screens are very impressive.

iNvid02

yup, with their talent and budget they can pull of some pretty awesome things.

this is what happens when they focus on a smaller, linear game for a change

Top Bottom