• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is a beautiful looking game

9484B1E426A85E513B4DFB30661280E674694BAE

dat face

Really disappointed with the final game, beautiful or not.

Hell, I thought Sleeping Dogs had better action, and was overally much more fun to play than MP3.

The Stig

Loved the game. Have it on PC.

I wish there was a horde mode for multiplayer. I'd love to have a co-op element to it.

george_us

It does indeed look gorgeous. It has that Rockstar patented Super Budget to back it too, so you end up with a billion custom textures, decals and details scattered throughout levels making them look all the more impressive.
Yeah the detail in MP3 is absolutely astounding.

Man can we have a " What games have the best graphics this gen?" thread. I would love to see all these different kind of pics, and gifs of games Ive never played like PC and some PS3 games like god of war. Toss gameplay out the window and lets see what looks good.

Man can we have a " What games have the best graphics this gen?" thread. I would love to see all these different kind of pics, and gifs of games Ive never played like PC and some PS3 games like god of war. Toss gameplay out the window and lets see what looks good.

Pretty sure we have at least 2 of those.

Ryoku

I didn't think that the visuals in Max Payne 3 were significant enough for the performance hit on max settings. Character models aside (which are really well done), the rest of the game didn't necessarily jump out at me the way Crysis did (and still does). But this is only my humble opinion.

scitek

I didn't think that the visuals in Max Payne 3 were significant enough for the performance hit on max settings. Character models aside (which are really well done), the rest of the game didn't necessarily jump out at me the way Crysis did (and still does). But this is only my humble opinion.

You mean 8xMSAA? Cuz I can run it with 4xMSAA and get 60fps at 1080p.

AOC83

Banned
DerZuhälter;41402983 said:
Nothing about it was particularly good.

Flawless gunplay, extremely high quality graphics, top notch physics and animations and of course the soundtrack.

My i5 with a 560TI could run it at 60FPS (with the very occasional drop) mostly maxed out, except SSAO instead of HDAO, and no tesselation. But the texture work, especially on characters, is outstanding, and outside of some environmental stuff, everything looks top notch.

Flawless gunplay, extremely high quality graphics, top notch physics and animations and of course the soundtrack.
You and I played a completely different game. I thought the gunplay wasn't anything special and as someone was saying earlier the enemies are total bullet sponges. It's boring having to take headshots the entire game. Half the fun of Max Payne was going into bullet time and taking out everyone in the room with machine gun spray. Now if I don't hit the smallest hitbox on the character I have to get up and go hide again until I can reload and keep trying to pick them off.

I also didn't feel like it was a Max Payne game. Between the voice actor and Max never felt like a badass because even if he did something cool he followed it up with more dialogue about how self loathing he was.

Ryoku

My i5 with a 560TI could run it at 60FPS (with the very occasional drop) mostly maxed out, except SSAO instead of HDAO, and no tesselation. But the texture work, especially on characters, is outstanding, and outside of some enviromental stuff, everything looks top notch.

I'm talking about absolute max settings. 8xMSAA @1080p. This was back when I had a GTX460, though. I have a 680 now, but the game still doesn't appeal to me very well graphics-wise, or even gameplay-wise. My friend who has a 480 also had some performance issues, though he never really specified.

AOC83

Banned
You and I played a completely different game. I thought the gunplay wasn't anything special and as someone was saying earlier the enemies are total bullet sponges. It's boring having to take headshots the entire game. Half the fun of Max Payne was going into bullet time and taking out everyone in the room with machine gun spray. Now if I don't hit the smallest hitbox on the character I have to get up and go hide again until I can reload and keep trying to pick them off.

The guys with the bulletproof vests didn´t appear before the second half of the game and you could also kill them by firing on their arms/sides and the lower body parts. They only stand forever if you blow your whole bullets into the vests.

I also didn't feel like it was a Max Payne game. Between the voice actor and Max never felt like a badass because even if he did something cool he followed it up with more dialogue about how self loathing he was.

Max was already self loathing in MP 1 and 2 and i actually like him that way.

It looked good but there were also some parts where it didnt look great.
The part that stood out the most for me was those terrible speedboat cutscenes. No sense of speed whatsoever. Some lovely water drop texturing along the side of the speedboat but then they start moving and the drops stay static. No wind blowing on max or the other guy while they talk. That whole sequence just didnt flow very well at all in my opinion.

I know it's small details but that kinda stuff annoys me, especially when rockstar try to make everything cinematic.

Fucking love this game, one of my favorites of 2012 so far - except for the damn cutscenes, which were nice the first time but on subsequent playthroughs have gotten really annoying. Really wish there was a way to skip that shit, I understand they mask the loading on 360 and PS3 but on PC they're inexcusable.

Oh yeah, best soundtrack of 2012, too, rivaled only by Fez.

Ehh, there's been better. Journey, Walking Dead, Resonance, Dear Esther (due to their success, they're making the new Amnesia game), and Spec Ops The Line have been far more interesting.

While I loved Walking Dead and Journey (didn't play the others), I can't really say the have a shot at GOTY for me with MP3 around. The gameplay is absolutely stellar, thanks to level design, AI and pure feeling of shooting (Euphoria is magic when it comes to this).

One of the worse games I played this year. Tried to see if the other Max Payne games were as bad and turns out this was the only game that really shit the bed, but hey at least it looked nice.

KingKong

One of the worse games I played this year. Tried to see if the other Max Payne games were as bad and turns out this was the only game that really shit the bed, but hey at least it looked nice.

really? It's the exact same gameplay, only in MP1 and 2 youd have to stand behind cover instead of using cover

and it's actually a difficult game that requires you to understand the environment and enemy locations in order to pull of cool stunts. it was really well done, it's probably my GOTY so far as well

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah the damn cityscapes are mindblowing. Especially when you stare at them and realize that they actually have cars and traffic and stuff going about.

I know some people don't care... but the poor narrative is really holding me back from finishing this.

Am I (and max) the only people that have no clue wtf is going on?

Why am i trespassing in people's backyards shooting up the locals (I clearly recall shooting first in a quite a few scenarios)? Isn't Payne a former cop? I expected shit to shape up
after the shave

Also there is a game crashin glitch that won't let me proceed :(

maybe i need to turn off dx11 or something.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I know some people don't care... but the poor narrative is really holding me back from finishing this.

Am I (and max) the only people that have no clue wtf is going on?

Why am i trespassing in people's backyards shooting up the locals (I clearly recall shooting first in a quite a few scenarios)? Isn't Payne a former cop? I expected shit to shape up
after the shave

Also there is a game crashin glitch that won't let me proceed :(

maybe i need to turn off dx11 or something.

I found the point of the game to be his descent into madness. That by the time you reach the end you are straight up killing everyone, even police at an airport. You not knowing whats going on is key in not knowing who is right or wrong. At the end of the day all Max has is his principals and what he's ok with.

Even though the story is depressing cause Max actually fails a heck of a lot at what he tries to do, i found that to be why i liked it, because it was so different from other game stories. Success in the game doesnt always have to equal saving the world.

You people talking about "bullet sponges" are 100% wrong. There are only 3 or 4 ACTUAL sponges in the game. Every other enemy can be killed quickly and efficiently by aiming at body parts without armor. Notice I didn't say head shots. I'd argue that leg/arm and crotch shots are MORE efficient than head shots against the more aggressive armored enemies where you might not have time to line up a headshot. And it blows my mind that I keep reading people saying "I shoot them in the chest but they get back up." HELLO? HELLO? ANYBODY HOME? THINK, MCFLY, THINK. If you knock someone down, FINISH THEM OFF.

Best gunplay in a a third person shooter not named Vanquish this generation. Had they not interrupted the player every 3 minutes with unskippable cutscenes, it would been the best pure shooter this gen.

Alfredo

Max Payne 3 was an incredible game. The only problem I had with it were the terrible load times that were "masked" by unskippable cutscenes.

The first time I played through the game on Normal, I had the "bullet sponge complaint", too. But then I realized that when an enemy is dead, a little dot appears in your crosshairs. Once I discovered that, the strategy was either shoot a dude in the head, or dump into him with tons of bullets 'til the dot appeared, 'cause it's not like you're often scarce on ammo. Also, shoot dodge all day, because that stuff is infinite. Forget staying in cover. That's not how to play Max Payne 3! The game became infinitely more fun playing this way, even on harder difficulties.

I've barely touched multiplayer, but the single player was more than enough of what I needed to call Max Payne 3 one of the best games this year.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You people talking about "bullet sponges" are 100% wrong. There are only 3 or 4 ACTUAL sponges in the game. Every other enemy can be killed quickly and efficiently by aiming at body parts without armor. Notice I didn't say head shots. I'd argue that leg/arm and crotch shots are MORE efficient than head shots against the more aggressive armored enemies where you might not have time to line up a headshot. And it blows my mind that I keep reading people saying "I shoot them in the chest but they get back up." HELLO? HELLO? ANYBODY HOME? THINK, MCFLY, THINK. If you knock someone down, FINISH THEM OFF.

Best gunplay in a a third person shooter not named Vanquish this generation. Had they not interrupted the player every 3 minutes with unskippable cutscenes, it would been the best pure shooter this gen.

I actually liked the frequent cutscenes. The game literally kept me hooked and flowed wonderfully. As soon as i thought i could stop they hit me with another provocative story moment. The way they loaded behind the scenes was fantastic. Using video that looked like gameplay was smart.

Max Payne 3 was an incredible game. The only problem I had with it were the terrible load times that were "masked" by unskippable cutscenes.
lol, direct opposites.

Max Payne 3 reminded me of Gun Grave, game play wise.

Pretty utter bronzy shit.

Good thing the game tanked and dropped to 29.99 quickly, I would have been sad wasting 60 on this game.

Alfredo

I actually liked the frequent cutscenes. The game literally kept me hooked and flowed wonderfully. As soon as i thought i could stop they hit me with another provocative story moment. The way they loaded behind the scenes was fantastic. Using video that looked like gameplay was smart.

lol, direct opposites.

The cutscenes are fine your first time through the game, because, hey, I actually want to watch them. But if you just wanna play through again on like a higher difficulty or just want to shoot guys, it SUCKS that you have to wait through 5 minutes of cutscenes. The Hoboken level, for instance, takes FOREVER to start if you replay it from the beginning of the chapter. If they labeled the checkpoints a little better to let me know which checkpoint I should load to actually play the level, that would've been fine.

There's always Arcade Mode, which usually skips the initial cutscene, but I don't believe those count for story mode achievements.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Me too. That's an impressive pic in the OP though. Full disclosure, I've never played a Rockstar game this gen...

You are missing out on the biggest AAAA games around. Every one of their games honestly deserves a try. GTA 4, RDR, LA Noire, MP 3. All are lavished with some next-level production quality, that if you like the game style you will get a ton of it.

Top Bottom