• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is a beautiful looking game

I found the point of the game to be his descent into madness. That by the time you reach the end you are straight up killing everyone, even police at an airport. You not knowing whats going on is key in not knowing who is right or wrong. At the end of the day all Max has is his principals and what he's ok with.

Even though the story is depressing cause Max actually fails a heck of a lot at what he tries to do, i found that to be why i liked it, because it was so different from other game stories. Success in the game doesnt always have to equal saving the world.

Yeah it is quite depressing. idk if it's just me but these days, killing hundreds of dudes in games BUT fail to accomplish the mission you are after (baddy escape again!) pisses me off quite a bit.

MW3 did a lot of that. And I guess MP3 as well. The concept isn't bad, but having it wrapped around a 'michael bay style explosive shooter' is weird.

Anyone else wish they kept Bullet time 2.0 from 2? Replacing that with cover was stupid imo.

And adding physics to diving... sucks more than I'd thought. Game could have been a bit more.... loose with that mechanic :p

Was it stranglehold that let you slide across like anything?

I actually liked the frequent cutscenes. The game literally kept me hooked and flowed wonderfully. As soon as i thought i could stop they hit me with another provocative story moment. The way they loaded behind the scenes was fantastic. Using video that looked like gameplay was smart.

The 1st time it was impressive and I loved it.

The 2nd time it was TERRIBLE. How am I supposed to enjoy these great shootouts and mess with the physics engine when I have to put the controller down CONSTANTLY, sometimes for up to 5 minutes while the game decides to load God knows what?

The 3rd time....oh wait, I never got that far because I couldn't deal with the cutscenes. And Arcade Mode is near useless to me on the 360 since the game is split across discs meaning I can't jump to the 2nd half of the game and back again without switching discs twice.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The 1st time it was impressive and I loved it.

The 2nd time it was TERRIBLE. How am I supposed to enjoy these great shootouts and mess with the physics engine when I have to put the controller down CONSTANTLY, sometimes for up to 5 minutes while the game decides to load God knows what?

The 3rd time....oh wait, I never got that far because I couldn't deal with the cutscenes. And Arcade Mode is near useless to me on the 360 since the game is split across discs meaning I can't jump to the 2nd half of the game and back again without switching discs twice.

I guess from the perspective of replayability it is hurt. Disc switching isnt a big deal though. It would have been if they switched every other level and alternated or something but if you do it somewhat linearly it works out.

Conversely it's the 2nd worst game I've played this year behind the awful new Syndicate. I don't know how people could like this game. But I seem to be saying that after every current generation Rockstar game.

And i dont know how it could be the 2nd worst game you played!! oh lawd!

Augustus

Banned
Kratos was topped before this gen even started.

lol

KratosAngryFire.gif

Conversely it's the 2nd worst game I've played this year behind the awful new Syndicate. I don't know how people could like this game. But I seem to be saying that after every current generation Rockstar game.
Syndicate was pretty damn good. It was a sleeper hit for me. Co-op is so much fun.

Ciastek3214

Mine too, it's not an awful game by any means, it's just soooooooooooo dissapointing.

Derrick01

Banned
And i dont know how it could be the 2nd worst game you played!! oh lawd!

Ultra linear almost on rails game that actually fails you in a lot of places if you're not moving forward to the next room and an insulting amount of unskippable cutscenes that ooze typical Houser pretentiousness and sub par writing.

But the year is still going so we'll see what happens. Out of the games that I know I will be playing it's hard to imagine something will top those 2 but then again Darksiders 2 almost did and I was expecting that to be good.

Exr

MP3 was a great looking game, but I didn't like the visual style they went for with the text and blur filters. I didn't like the story either; none of the characters aside from Max were likeable. The gameplay, however, was the one thing that kept me playing. The Euphoria engine really works wonderfully in a shooter, and all you do in MP3 is shoot.

And people complaining about bullet sponges, really? One headshot kills everyone, two if they have a helmet.

scitek

I'm talking about absolute max settings. 8xMSAA @1080p. This was back when I had a GTX460, though. I have a 680 now, but the game still doesn't appeal to me very well graphics-wise, or even gameplay-wise. My friend who has a 480 also had some performance issues, though he never really specified.

Since AA is a totally optional thing, and with so many choices of It at our disposal, I don't really consider it to be part of any game's "max settings." I'm in the minority, though, it would seem.

Fjordson

Amazing game, but I've only played it on 360. Going to be on of the first games I replay on my new PC. Looks gorgeous and has some incredible animation work. Always enjoy Euphoria.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What I don't like about the cutscenes is the words popping out on the screen--this strikes me as unnecessary and highly jarring and only serves as the developer's misstep in trying to make the scenes appear "deep" or "cinematic".

Card Boy

Banned
Max Cutscene 3.

As bad as Final Fantasy 13. Fuck the Houser Brothers, fucken scumballs, they ruined a legacy and a franchise.

Demon Ice

Banned
I didn't think that the visuals in Max Payne 3 were significant enough for the performance hit on max settings. Character models aside (which are really well done), the rest of the game didn't necessarily jump out at me the way Crysis did (and still does). But this is only my humble opinion.

Really? I actually found it very well optimized, my 5770 could run it at damn near max (lol pun) at 1680x1050 and it was smooth all the way through.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's a nice looking game, but not because of the GI Joe action figure character models. Not sure how R* still gets away with those.

KingKong

Ultra linear almost on rails game that actually fails you in a lot of places if you're not moving forward to the next room and an insulting amount of unskippable cutscenes that ooze typical Houser pretentiousness and sub par writing.

But the year is still going so we'll see what happens. Out of the games that I know I will be playing it's hard to imagine something will top those 2 but then again Darksiders 2 almost did and I was expecting that to be good.

Its a Max Payne game dawg, theyre all linear and onrails. Were you expecting an open world third person shooter?

KiNeSiS

Banned
Fuck outta here!
This thread & forum is filled to the brim with a bunch of trolls, joke posters, & non gamers.
It seems every Rockstar game gets shitted on Max Payne 3 is a bad game????
BWA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
Very idiotic opinions from folks that must have only watched a video review if that. Not only is Max Payne 3 great looking with intense action & a great story. The violence is so visceral that it would make Gears of War series & Soldier Of Fortune 2 say "Holy Shit Disgusting"!

Looks good, waiting for 19.99 since I only want to play the singleplayer. I see it for 29.99 all the time now, so it shouldn't be long. Maybe in the steam christmas sale.

Fuck outta here!
This thread & forum is filled to the brim with a bunch of trolls, joke posters, & non gamers.
Very idiotic opinions from folks that must have only watched a video review if that. Not only is Max Payne 3 great looking with intense action & a great story. The violence is so visceral that it would make Gears of War series & Soldier Of Fortune 2 say "Holy Shit Disgusting"!

Your taking it a bit personally.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good, waiting for 19.99 since I only want to play the singleplayer. I see it for 29.99 all the time now, so it shouldn't be long. Maybe in the steam christmas sale.
Here in South America it was $22.5 on the last Steam sale, so maybe you could ask somebody to buy it for you if you don't mind the extra $2.5.

Here in South America it was $22.5 on the last Steam sale, so maybe you could ask somebody to buy it for you if you don't mind the extra $2.5.

I would have bought it at that price. Either way I am in no rush and christmas is a pretty good time for Max Payne 3 IMO. Guild Wars 2 just released and AC3 and Dishonored are coming out soon. Many games to keep me busy until the christmas sale.

Fuck outta here!

Take a deep breath.

Nome

I played it on PC. Played and looked bad to me. I guess it's a love it or hate it thing :(
Had really fond memories of MP1 and 2 as well.

Fuck outta here!
You are not yet ready for the internet (unless this is a troll post, in which case you have graduated the internet).

Brofist

Fuck outta here!

That's nice and all, but I enjoyed playing those other games. I didn't enjoy MP3. I am looking forward to GTAV so its not a Rockstar hate thing.

Near the end now of this game, and it has been a pretty tedious endevour....there is literally zero gameplay variety in this game, and its not helped but the shoddy bloomin AI which often just waits for you took come at it...Bullet sponges gallore as well

Zweisy1

MP3 does look pretty good graphically. Shame about the game itself...

The guns and level design weren't nearly as good as MP2..

It was also the most joyless game I've ever played. MP1 and 2 dealt with some pretty dark stuff but they were filled with likeable characters and fun dialogue.. MP3 was just depressing on every level and they also managed turn Max into a fucking idiot.

Most disappointing game of the generation for me. Not because it's the worst or anything but because I love the series and it just wasn't a worthy follow-up to the first 2.

Having finished the game yesterday on my PC, yes, I can fairly say it's one of the most impressive games I've seen. The PC port is beautiful, Rage+Euphoria+DX11 work wonders. Environments, characters, everything...beautiful.
But it's not all eye-candy. Shooting mechanic+bullet time is great.
Unfortunately the story was not so interesting and overall it left an impression of an "OK game". Graphics alone can't satisfy me. The story should have been better.

Leave out the massively complex environments and you might have iota of a comparison in cloud cuckoo land... Mind you parts of the FF tech demo definitely surpass Spirits Within

Dabanton

MP3 was a great looking game, but I didn't like the visual style they went for with the text and blur filters. I didn't like the story either; none of the characters aside from Max were likeable. The gameplay, however, was the one thing that kept me playing. The Euphoria engine really works wonderfully in a shooter, and all you do in MP3 is shoot.

And people complaining about bullet sponges, really? One headshot kills everyone, two if they have a helmet.

For me Max Payne has never been about 'likeable' characters these guys are scumbags, murderers and drunks.

their are fun characters though which all three games have had

For this game I'd say Passos was pretty fun as was Marcelo whenever he was on screen and Da Silva.

Lime

Cutscene: The Game wasn't neither particularly good from a design perspective, nor was it more visually impressive than what is usually considered "beautiful" (aesthetically). Although I acknowledge that the game takes some chances that other AAA shooters often don't (setting, main character, etc.), the game is a fucking far cry from the best this year, both visually and mechanically. At least I wasn't particularly impressed by the visuals, i.e. the skin textures on the character meshes simply look like plastic figurines without much complexity. Meanwhile, anybody who thinks this has good "gameplay" are the same people who think that pressing "Play" on their remote when watching a film constitutes a good video game.

Meanwhile, anybody who thinks this has good "gameplay" are the same people who think that pressing "Play" on their remote when watching a film constitutes a good video game.
tumblr_m8k1v8nw7D1qcerl3.jpg

Gameplay was fine by me and by gameplay I mean the gunfights since there's nothing else. The combat flowed well, the bullet time was sheer fun.

Lime

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8k1v8nw7D1qcerl3.jpg[IMG]

Gameplay was fine by me and by gameplay I mean the gunfights since there's nothing else. The combat flowed well, the bullet time was sheer fun.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, I was referring to "gameplay" from a macro-perspective. The actual gunfights were mechanically sound, but how it was implemented and used in the context of the structure, narrative, pacing, etc. was pretty damn terrible. When the game took over my sniper rifle crosshair in between shooting enemies, I almost had a heart attack.

RiverBed

Banned
ff-movie03.jpg

My measuring stick for this gen.

Not bad.

This is exactly perfect for a complaint I have about current gen graphics: WHY IS IT SO BRIGHT?! Pick any game and if you make the texture colors darker, you automatically get a more realistic look. I hope next-gen get the dark textures.

You know you can turn off the "auto aim" setting or did you mean something else?

No, there's a part in the game, sniping at the football stadium, where the game actually takes control of your crosshairs in between waves of enemies. You're locked into the scope view, and you just have to keep wiggling the mouse to know when you're actually back in control.

Lime

You know you can turn off the "auto aim" setting or did you mean something else?

Something else. I am talking about the moment where you have to protect Passos with your sniper rifle and the game takes away the aiming controls from you after you've shoot incoming enemies.

There were so many times during this game that I could just sit playing the game with my right hand on the mouse while my left hand was completely inactive. And afterwards I had "survived" a heavily scripted boat chase with one hand only, I would be greeted with a 5-10 minute cutscene, so that I could now rest both hands.

For me Max Payne has never been about 'likeable' characters these guys are scumbags, murderers and drunks.

their are fun characters though which all three games have had

For this game I'd say Passos was pretty fun as was Marcelo whenever he was on screen and Da Silva.
Marcello really grew on me.
'but hey, easy on the blow, we dont have enough to go around. ....... Just kidding! '

This is exactly perfect for a complaint I have about current gen graphics: WHY IS IT SO BRIGHT?! Pick any game and if you make the texture colors darker, you automatically get a more realistic look. I hope next-gen get the dark textures.
Could be that or it could be the lighting, but I do understand what you are talking about.

Top Bottom