• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes June 14th

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm going to bed now. I expect a juicy thread with lots of fun when I return in about 8 hours. :)

Jomjom

Banned
Right, but everything factored in, if the WiiU outsold the Xbone, it would be a big deal. Positively for one, horribly for the other. Being dead last for a month in this console gen with the WiiU is not a good thing.

Who would it be a big deal to? MS wouldn't care, they know May is going to be a throwaway month. They would have to be idiots not to know that announcing the diskinection on June 9 a month early would hurt sales greatly.

Like I've said in the past, it was a necessary move and I think they did it so early so that the pent up demand would put them in 1st place for June.

Essentially you sacrifice a month (with PR you spin it like it's not a loss) to win the next month (with PR boast about it like there's no tomorrow and how the momentum for Xbone is real).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I know it's not relevant to this month's discussion, but I hope we'll get an update on Bravely Default sales, at least. I'd love to know more about 3DS third party sales in general, though (remember last year's big post for...June NPD thread I think? That was good. And it was good to know more about Vita and Wii U as well...I'd like to know more about them as well, now that I think about it :p ).

Jomjom

Banned
Stanley Cup. I'm a Rangers fan.

....Didn't work out so well when they got slaughtered by LA.

:-(

=(

I'm a King's fan (actually was contemplating taking the day off and going to the parade), but I wouldn't say you guys got slaughtered. Games 1 and 2 could have easily gone your way, I mean we didn't even lead until the winning goal.

Flip of the coin and it could have easily been 4-1 Rangers.

So, hypothetically speaking, if one were to have access to NPD numbers, one would have already gotten them now right? And one would be able to let us know if there are any megatons contained in the numbers? Hypothetically speaking of course.

edited

If Xbox numbers are low i hope MS still shares. They've been really good about sharing numbers no matter what they are, so hope they keep doing that (as opposed to Sony who never tell us numbers ;_;)

Like those sold through #'s of 5 mill... Yes very honest.... Sony may not give their #'s but at least they aren't deceptive in what they release when they do.

Proxy

Who would it be a big deal to? MS wouldn't care, they know May is going to be a throwaway month. They would have to be idiots not to know that announcing the diskinection on June 9 a month early would hurt sales greatly.

Like I've said in the past, it was a necessary move and I think they did it so early so that the pent up demand would put them in 1st place for June.

Essentially you sacrifice a month (with PR you spin it like it's not a loss) to win the next month (with PR boast about it like there's no tomorrow and how the momentum for Xbone is real).

Lets say they fail to take the top spot in June will the narrative just continue to spiral out of control for them? Getting outsold one month by a console that is generally considered to be a failure and then getting outsold the next by the PS4 right after a $100 price cut would be rough.

So, hypothetically speaking, if one were to have access to NPD numbers, one would have already gotten them now right? And one would be able to let us know if there are any megatons contained in the numbers? Hypothetically speaking of course.

Yes. Some gaffers do have access to the numbers and have let slip such information at one time or the other. Obviously it's not a safe thing to do so it's not something to be highlighted

SDCowboy

You really think the xbone will be #1 for this month? I just don't see any way. Just for reference, right now on Amazon, the PS4 (standard and white bundle) are #6 and #13 while the two Bones are #42 and #50, with the $399 being BELOW the $499. I honestly don't think the lower priced SKU will make much of a difference.

Results in less than an hour right?

Hmm the numbers are already out to those who subscribe but PR doesn't usually come out until 2 and half hours after that or about an hour and 40 minutes more

Time until PR roughly starts for NPD

t1402957800z1.png

Yes. Some gaffers do have access to the numbers and have let slip such information at one time or the other. Obviously it's not a safe thing to do so it's not something to be highlighted

Many, many people around the Internet quote GAF during NPD time, either directly with citations or indirectly ("rumours floating around," etc.)

But I've noticed over the years that people tend not to read the NPD thread after the initial hype / fervor dies down...I've seen leakers give lots of data that goes, for the most part, uncited.

So in a way, it's "safer" later on vs. immediately when PR comes out.

Many, many people around the Internet quote GAF during NPD time, either directly with citations or indirectly ("rumours floating around," etc.)

But I've noticed over the years that people tend not to read the NPD thread after the initial hype / fervor dies down...I've seen leakers give lots of data that goes, for the most part, uncited.

So in a way, it's "safer" later on vs. immediately when PR comes out.

Didn't some users have a rule to not post till after page 60? Or was that just a rule of thumb.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For NeoGAF? Sure, it'll be huge.

But for the companies that care about NPD performance...they're going to write-off the poor Xbox One performance in May as a circumstance of poor announcement timing.

June 2014 NPD sales are going to be critically important for Xbox One, though.

If may gives WiiU 2nd place, then it will give something for Nintendo to talk about. Plus coming off a good E3, could give them another boost for June. If the winds are favourable, Nintendo could be looking at a sustained boost for a few months - hopefully enough to roll into smash bros hype building in the fall.

If may gives WiiU 2nd place, then it will give something for Nintendo to talk about. Plus coming off a good E3, could give them another boost for June. If the winds are favourable, Nintendo could be looking at a sustained boost for a few months - hopefully enough to roll into smash bros hype building in the fall.

I'm hoping for a similar situation for the vita. Hopefully a good showing in May NPDs can breath a little bit of life back into that console in the states.

donny2112

E3. but closing date was yesterday. So the numbers would be here today.

Closing date for May was May 31st. It's just delayed for E3, which is the same situation as they did last year. Next year's E3 seems to be later, so it probably wouldn't be delayed next year, for example.

Closing date for May was May 31st. It's just delayed for E3, which is the same situation as they did last year. Next year's E3 seems to be later, so it probably wouldn't be delayed next year, for example.

Ah ok. I assumed it was so due to the thread title having the closing date as well.

Blanquito

Wonder if Sony is holding onto WW sales numbers as a trump PR card in case a competitor has something good happen or Sony has something bad?

Or maybe they decided it was time to stop WW numbers during the summer when sales are generally lower, and pick it back up again around year end?

Just some ramblings that went through my head.

EL CUCO

I dont have the luxury of playing Destiny, atm so I need to entertain myself in other ways.

Soo is this happening today or what?

Top Bottom