• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes June 9th

donny2112

ITT, predict for the NPD May 2015 retail period (May 3-30, 2015) for U.S. hardware sales.

What is NPD?: NPD is one of the main retail tracking firms in the U.S., and also about the only one who specifically goes into detail on video games sales. This thread is to predict what the NPD hardware sales will be for the most recent month. NPD months are defined here, from jvm.
What do I win?: Bragging rights. We also keep track of predictions over the year and have an annual contest using "points." Still just bragging rights, but Sales-Agers have fun seeing how well we can do with it. See here for details on the point calculations.

Prediction entries must be in and finalized by 8 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, June 9th. Format use is required if you want your entry counted.

NPD Coverage: May 3-30, 2015 (4 weeks, April was 4 weeks)
NPD Release: Thursday, June 11th @ 4 p.m. EDT (thread posted ~6:30 p.m. EDT)

Format:

[3DS]
[PS4]
[WIU]
[XB1]

Good/Bad Formatting
Code:
Good              Bad
[XB1] 200K       [XB1] 200 thousand
[XB1] 200,000    [XB1] 200.000
[XB1] 200000     [XB1] - 200000

Potential hardware impacting events in May:
Summary
Slowest.Month.EVAR.

Prediction Format: (repeating to emphasize to use this format)

[3DS]
[PS4]
[WIU]
[XB1]

April's Results (estimates)
1. XB1 ~ 187K
2. PS4 ~ 174K
3. 3DS ~ 116K
4. WIU ~ 43K

April 2014 NPD thread
May 2014 NPD thread

NPD Prediction Thread Archive

Vena

Witcher: WH and Splatoon, that's it right?

[3DS] 120K
[PS4] 150K
[WIU] 55K
[XB1] 150K

It's hard for me to guess how many people were turned into squids. I'll err on the side of about +10k kids.

Bgamer90

Banned
Guessing that MS bringing back the white models will help them take the month again (though not by much).

[3DS] 115K
[PS4] 160K
[WIU] 50K
[XB1] 175K

Predictions are back baby!

[3DS] 110K
[PS4] 175K
[WIU] 45K
[XB1] 170K

I'll give MS the benefit of the doubt even though Amazon monthly says otherwise

Javin98

Banned
So this thread is going extremely slowly. Over an hour since it went live and less than 20 posts? Damn, looks like no one cares about May :p

GnawtyDog

Banned
Kinda surprised a lot of you are taking the plunge after last month's result and predicting the Xbox One winning by a small margin. Underdog no more.

Kinda surprised a lot of you are taking the plunge after last month's result and predicting the Xbox One winning by a small margin. Underdog no more.

I'll probably change it if I see the GameStop deal for PS4 + Free year of plus going well.

Edit: And when Amazon updates it's monthly charts.

Javin98

Banned
I don't know, I still think the PS4 will take May. The main reason the XB1 won last month was because of the Gamestop trade in deal, which is gone this month.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I thought this might be of interest, since it demonstrates the power of a hardware promotion.
Tony Bartel said:
We remain focused on being the premier videogame destination, and we drove 360 basis points of total videogame market share growth during the quarter. We increased our Xbox One and PS4 software share by 420 basis points to 54%, and our new gen hardware share by 260 basis points to 38.5%.

On a combined basis, GameStop sold 46% of all Xbox One and PS4 hardware and software combined during the quarter, up 610 basis points from last year. We continue to gain share in a new cycle that is significantly outpacing previous launches.

The month of April was even more impressive than the quarter, as we captured 47.6% of all software sold. We sold 57% of all Xbox One and PS4 software during the month and nearly half of all the new gen hardware and software combined.

A promotion that we recently ran shows the power of our unique value proposition. During the month of April, we partnered with Microsoft to run a promotion where customers could buy a new Xbox One console for $275 with the trade in of either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 console. We nearly doubled our Xbox One market share during the month, but more importantly, GameStop drove two-thirds of the 63% industry growth that Xbox One experienced during the month. We are providing unprecedented value that is fueling this cycle’s growth.
My emphasis. The whole transcript is interesting. Go read it over at Seeking Alpha.

On Demand

Banned
I don't know, I still think the PS4 will take May. The main reason the XB1 won last month was because of the Gamestop trade in deal, which is gone this month.

Exactly. And now GS and BB have deals for PS4. I originally was thinking XB1 would win again since some are probably waiting for the Batman bundle and MS put out the white console, but now i'm not so sure. The BB trade in deal is from May 24th to June 6.

It's going to be........interesting.

EDIT-

And look what jvm posted above.

Javin98

Banned
[XB1] 200K
[PS4] 195K
[3DS] 100K
[WIU] 32K

I'm banking on Witcher 3 selling some consoles.
If you really believe this, then The Witcher 3 likely pushed more PS4's than XB1's since the PS4 version sold better.

Exactly. And now GS and BB have deals for PS4. I originally was thinking XB1 would win again since some are probably waiting for the Batman bundle and MS put out the white console, but now i'm not so sure. The BB trade in deal is from May 24th to June 6.

It's going to be........interesting.

EDIT-

And look what jvm posted above.
Yep, I think those deals will give the PS4 a win as well. Really interesting to see what happens.

RexNovis

Banned
[XB1] 156k
[PS4] 148K
[3DS] 98K
[WIU] 44k

Im thinking the impending release of the Batman LE bundle along with the normal decrease MoM from April to May means PS4 will have its lowest NPD month ever. It should also be a massive decline YoY thanks to Watch Dogs release giving PS4 a huge boost last year. That said I expect June to be a big sales month for Sony.

Top Bottom