• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, June 6th

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From VentureBeat's article

Finally, the Xbox One and PS4 are both still collectively outperforming their predecessors.

“On a time-aligned basis over each product’s first 43 months in market, the combined installed base of Sony’s PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One now exceeds the combined installed base of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by 29 percent,” said Piscatella.

Ex-Psych

Hey Remember when Reggie said that everyone will be able easily get a Switch?

Smh

Nintendo really needs to do get that Switch Stock problem solved soon. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Unknown?

MLB is just one of those silent hits in its own right I love it.

Glad to see it still doing so well! Also glad Farpoint seemed to do well for them despite being niche.

Which is expected with the shortages. However, I am curious what next month will be like. It seems like retailers and stores in June have been getting more stock regularly compared to March, April and May.

I suspect PS4 will win in June because of the promotion. Was Switch #2? I bet it was. Xbox is not doing so hot.

Instro

Prey bombing in US means 0 chance at a sequel. At least Bethesda seems to be supportive of Arkane doing more Dishonored beyond the stand alone DLC this fall.... Although, maybe Prey will have strong legs and warrant a sequel, it's our only hope...

Might not be too bad, since no digital in Tha number. I mean, Dishonored 2 didn't even chart iirc.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
*lighting Anihawk's signal for Disgaea 5's sales, whatever that looks like*

What is Nintendo doing? The situation seems similar to the Wii-era, right? But if I remember correctly they were able to produce way more Wii consoles to get more sales. Now, like the Wii the Switch is sold out everywhere but Nintendo isn't producing enough consoles to be on top of the charts.
I wonder what's the problem.

NateDrake

Considering what we saw in Japan for May the total WW shipment numbers must have been pitiful. Nintendo really dropped the ball there.

How can you the drop ball if you have supply to send?

What is Nintendo doing? The situation seems similar to the Wii-era, right? But if I remember correctly they were able to produce way more Wii consoles to get more sales. Now, like the Wii the Switch is sold out everywhere but Nintendo isn't producing enough consoles to be on top of the charts.
They are fighting with Apple for supplies.

cakely

Nintendo couldn't manufacture enough units to outsell the PS4. :(

This year is theirs to win if they can just keep up production.

ethomaz

Banned
WW shipment numbers for Switch could be lower than my 700k estimate for May.

That is even tracking below the 10 million target for the fiscal year.

Welfare

I call that line the Welfare special.

Thank you, but is this a flat 29% as in 29.0? Last couple of months it was 29.3% and 29.8%.

Also, I guess this month was actually a good hold for the 2 systems? I get a monthly result of >300K, close to 320K, which is only slightly down from April.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

They are struggling to get parts because Apple and others want them, too.

Considering what we saw in Japan for May the total WW shipment numbers must have been pitiful. Nintendo really dropped the ball there.
They not expected this level of success ,also sharing parts with Apple is making this even worse, i just hope they can fix everything by the Splatoon 2 launch.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hey Remember when Reggie said that everyone will be able easily get a Switch?

Smh

Nintendo really needs to do get that Switch Stock problem solved soon. It's getting a bit ridiculous.
All I know is I wanted one this year. I also need to replace a PS4 system.

Me, the kids want both right now, but PS4 gets my money just by being available.

Yeah the Switch stock situation is awful. And continues to be.

That said June should be better than May. But there are still weeks where there is basically empty shelves sitting there where hardware should be.

Ex-Psych

Goddammit Apple back off!! You're making enough money as it is!

Man, when people said Nintendo would get screwed over by smartphones, I didn't think it would be like this...

WW shipment numbers for Switch could be lower than my 700k estimate for May.

That is even tracking below the 10 million target for the fiscal year.

If the switch is sub 200K in the US than I doubt shipments were even close to 700K WW. The switch isn't selling out in the rest of the world and they would have needed to ship almost 400K outside of Japan and the US.

They not expected this level of success ,also sharing parts with Apple is making this even worse, i just hope they can fix everything by the Splatoon 2 launch.

I understand not expecting this level of demand, that's understandable. However I still can't believe they thought this level of shipment would be adequate.

Vena

Yeah the Switch stock situation is awful. And continues to be.

That said June should be better than May. But there are still weeks where there is basically empty shelves sitting there where hardware should be.

I think June-July are the first months they may be starting to see increase in production realization. Japan will be a good barometer.

If the switch is sub 200K in the US than I doubt shipments were even close to 700K WW. The switch isn't selling out in the rest of the world and they would have needed to ship almost 400K outside of Japan and the US.

I understand not expecting this level of demand, that's understandable. However I still can't believe they thought this level of shipment would be adequate.
They had plans to ship 4 million this year... At this point maybe they can be around that number i just 3 months... That says everything, jumping to 12 million (Or 18) is not that easy, that take some time.

Top Bottom