• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell and GOP Senators desperately working on a new "Skinny Repeal" for the ACA

Tawpgun

This shit get me so heated.

My insurance was dropped. I tried to get it back but was told I was ineligible for unclear reasons. I think it was that I got a better paying job so they think I'm "less poor"

Regardless, I had Massachusetts insurance and will be moving to Texas in a month. No job lined up yet. Even if I had Mass insurance it wouldn't work. In the same fucking country my insurance wouldn't work.

I'm a Polish citizen and almost thinking of seeing if I can take a "medical vacation"

I'm genuinely shook.

Not by the legislation, but just from watching the raw desperation.

Desperate dogs bite indiscriminately if they think they need to do it to stay alive

Yet. It's a forlorn conclusion that they'll eventually get something through. I mean, that much has been obvious from last November. Elections have consequences. It sounds trite, but here we are.

They'll pass SOMETHING but there's a gigantic range of options in play. The Medicaid cuts don't need to be there, for instance. You can't let yourself say, "Well people are going to lose coverage either way." There's a big difference in terms of how the most vulnerable will get hit.

Any sympathy McCain would have had is gone from me. Voting yes as one last "fuck You I got mine", what a Foul person.
This. Waited for his vote to be sure.

Actually taking a trip from surgical recovery to fuck people out of healthcare. That's a very special kind of fuck-you-got-mine.

How do you get rid of the individual mandate, employer penalty and keep Obamacare going?

Insurance companies would flee the marketplace at insane rates and there would be no funding for the existing tax credits or medicare expansion.

It would cause a death spiral of Obamacare and then the GOP would own the complete destruction of the healthcare marketplace.

I disagree that the GOP would own the complete destruction of the marketplace. They'd be responsible, sure, and reputable news outlets would pin the blame squarely on them. But when the majority of your constituents are getting their news from Fox, or Breitbart, or Infowars, or their racist uncle's Facebook memes, the GOP isn't going to own shit. You'll have people marching to their grave cursing Obama for the actions of the people they voted for. Misinformation is the most powerful political tool in the world right now, and conservative media have perfected it.

ElFly

thanks for your service, senator mccain, said a ton of useful tools as mccain voted to leave them without healthcare

SeanC

It's amazing that one if his final acts may be to kill thousands of people.

A shame he did not succumb to the plane ride.

I was empathetic when it was announced he had cancer (and likely going to be terminal) because I've had numerous family members die from cancer and don't really like saying "hope he dies" so unabashedly. But that's straight gone. The quicker the old fucks die off, the better we are all.

I can't muster any sympathy for him and I look forward to seeing his obituary because at least that would be better thought over and written than the shitty healthcare bill he's on board with.

HylianTom

Banned
I said a few months ago during an Indiana Jones marathon that Republicans are this era's "slime of humanity."

That assessment holds-up.

This moment.. this is why I don't cry when bad things happen to this crowd. They'd throw you into a pit of spikes if it forwarded their agenda.

Maengun1

50/52 GOP senators just voted to proceed on taking healthcare away from 30 million+ people in order to toss multimillionaires a little bit more spending money, and 48/48 Dem senators just voted against proceeding on same.

And in 2018 and 2020, all the people who pop up to go "both parties are the saaaaaame, maaaaaaaan. Two sides of the same corrupt cooiiiinnn"..... will still do that.

I weep for humanity.

Now we get lectured by McCain on why we need to take away people's publicly-funded healthcare after he just had his life saved by publicly-funded healthcare.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Trump cancels news conference, busts into Senate floor blaring an air horn, kicks slightly older man out of the way saying "yeah, yeah, we got what we needed out of you.". Miller Lite kegs appear from the wings. America slowly dies.

At least McCain acknowledges the bill is shit...while voting to continue debate on one that'll just wind up worse. Just needs to remind everyone what a MAVERICK (TM) he is before fading from this earth.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Now we get lectured by McCain on why we need to take away people's publicly-funded healthcare after he just had his life saved by publicly-funded healthcare.

Oh, his life is not saved yet. That cancer type is really vicious and hard to treat.

But, the fact he can get treatment due to his government healthcare, then vote to proceed on taking away insurance from millions, dooming thousands to die, is what is at issue.

The GOP has not put forth a bill anyone other than rich people like.

Not Republicans, Democrats, Independents, the Health Care Industry, the Insurance Industry.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
McCain said he's not voting for this bill unless they change it. But he just voted yes on the debate just now.

Shauni

I disagree that the GOP would own the complete destruction of the marketplace. They'd be responsible, sure, and reputable news outlets would pin the blame squarely on them. But when the majority of your constituents are getting their news from Fox, or Breitbart, or Infowars, or their racist uncle's Facebook memes, the GOP isn't going to own shit. You'll have people marching to their grave cursing Obama for the actions of the people they voted for. Misinformation is the most powerful political tool in the world right now, and conservative media have perfected it.

None of the bills that have come forward has had more than 20% support across both parties.

These are the hollowest of words from McCain. Traveling cross-country to vote on a mystery bill is exactly the opposite of what he's talking about. What a hypocrite and a joke this all is.

Top Bottom