• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell and GOP Senators desperately working on a new "Skinny Repeal" for the ACA

sangreal

Please realize he says shit all the time that mean nothing at all. I'm guessing you just started following what this man does?

Yes, I just started following him hence my long history of posts about McCain being full of shit 👍🏽

BCRA as proposed is already a non starter so I fully expect him and other bandwagoners to vote against it

Real slap in the face to listen to a man whose life is being saved thanks to his government medical insurance working real hard to cut medicaid and take away insurance from significantly poorer people.

Shauni

So how is the Senate, that only has 53 GoP Senators including the VP, going to pass any bill to repeal or amend the ACA if it requires 60 votes?

-and that's assuming Collins doesn't stay a No vote?

Whatever bill they come up will have to be reworked to fit the reconciliation rules, or nuke the filibuster for legislation.

Velcro Fly

Make no mistake. His life isn't being saved. He's probably going to die from this. It may be extended a little bit but he's cooked.

epmode

So how is the Senate, that only has 53 GoP Senators including the VP, going to pass any bill to repeal or amend the ACA if it requires 60 votes?

-and that's assuming Collins doesn't stay a No vote?

Vox has a good summary: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/25/16025636/senate-health-bill-bcra-60-votes

• Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will first put up the “motion to proceed” (to open floor debate) on the House-passed bill.
  • Then, in a concession to conservatives, he will put up the “repeal-and-delay” bill that does nothing to replace Obamacare as a substitute amendment to that bill — but he expects it to fail to get a majority.
  • Then he will put up his own bill, the BCRA — but because it will require 60 votes due to the lack of a complete CBO score, that’s certain to fail too.
  • Finally, he will attempt to cobble together through amendments some sort of “skinny repeal” with policies he hopes 50 Republican senators can agree on. The goal here would be just to pass something, anything, to keep the process alive.
  • McConnell will apparently maintain that this won’t be the final bill but rather a vehicle to start a conference committee with the House of Representatives to agree on some sort of final piece of legislation. This would require another vote by the Senate later on whatever comes out of this conference committee (and theoretically, the full modified BCRA could have a CBO score by then and pass through reconciliation).
  • Again, though, to do all that, McConnell needs to win the vote on the motion to proceed first — and that’s this afternoon.

sangreal

No they can’t pass this as reconciliation. It has already violated that multiple times.

Debate just started, no points of order have actually been ruled on and we have no clue if McConnell will toss precedent or what his plan is regarding the Byrd rule

Iorv3th

Sounds like they are going to create a death spiral. I imagine most insurers will want to drop out.

A lot of insurers already have dropped out. Many states you have one or two options for health insurance coverage and that's it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't know why people are surprised. Elections have consequences. And every single GOP politician campaigned on this issue.
Nobody is surprised that Republicans want to dismantle Obamacare.

Whats surprising is just how shit their own plans are, even for their own constituents, and yet they push it. Their plan violates their own procedures, and is massively unpopular with every group of stakeholders (except for Republican donors).

They just voted to advance a steaming turd, and they all know it and we all know it.

Haha he did that spineless fucking coward. Who knew it would have been better for America if he just died in a Vietnamese prison the worthless sack of shit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Still doesn't address any of the underlying issues with healthcare, so I can't imagine many people are going to like it.

If anything, it's probably going to make insurance more expensive. So... Great job, guys?

Well, they did say that if they couldn't repeal and replace it then they'd sabotage it.

None of the bills that have come forward has had more than 20% support across both parties.

Yeah, but that's because they haven't received the proper framing. We've already had those surveys that show people like the ACA but are opposed to Obamacare, despite them being the exact same thing. That's the conservative spin machine in action. You get some headlines on Breitbart about Democrats killing healthcare, Obamacare's unsustainability finally being exposed, etc., and people will believe that shit even if it's a blatant lie.

chekhonte

I'm fortunate since I'm native american and have more option with entitled health care than the average american. Odds are these entitlements won't be cut or will be offered in some other form. I do have friends that need ACA's preexisting conditions coverage though and I'm scared for them.

Torokil

PEN5zbW.jpg

So all the people confident that McCain was going to vote no originally and that we were terrible human beings to condemn him are going to come in to this thread and realize they were wrong right

Shauni

Nobody is surprised that Republicans want to dismantle Obamacare.

Whats surprising is just how shit their own plans are, even for their own constituents, and yet they push it. Their plan violates their own procedures, and is massively unpopular with every group of stakeholders (except for Republican donors).

They just voted to advance a steaming turd, and they all know it and we all know it.

Even some donors are not high on this. The big ones are, but the health industry, which pumps a lot of money into both parties don't want this bill either and has decried the process because it's spelled so much uncertainty for the future of healthcare and how they proceed from here. This is really just for the top of the top.

chekhonte

So all the people confident that McCain was going to vote no originally and that we were terrible human beings to condemn him are going to come in to this thread and realize they were wrong right

He's a maverick so he won't just go along a vote with the GOP but he's such a maverick that out mavericks his own maverickdom and votes yes. A real American hero and a true maverick.

RPGCrazied

Trump thinks this was like a sporting event. "Did you see those votes pouring in?? Very interesting."

God I hate this man.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Please keep telling me how McCain is a war hero for being imprisoned by Vietnamese fighters fighting for their independece as a nation while he keeps voting to kill millions of his own countrymen.

Shauni

Yeah, but that's because they haven't received the proper framing. We've already had those surveys that show people like the ACA but are opposed to Obamacare, despite them being the exact same thing. That's the conservative spin machine in action. You get some headlines on Breitbart about Democrats killing healthcare, Obamacare's unsustainability finally being exposed, etc., and people will believe that shit even if it's a blatant lie.

Yet, this hasn't happened despite conservative messaging trying to sell any of the bills, and healthcare reform, especially those that touch Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security have always been a death kiss politically for either party. So yeah, it's easy to decry votes as stupid, and they generally are, but they get surprisingly a lot smarter when something happens that directly affects them. There's a reason why the right and left are still incredibly split on literally every other issue except healthcare. There was a poll of Fox News viewers and 74% wanted to see the GOP and Dems working together to improve the ACA or at least devise a better bill. 74% of Fox News viewers.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The dude has no impending elections and any criticism would be limited by not wanting to be disrespectful to the terminally ill yet he still voted for it. Says it all. Terrible human being. The Vietcong had the last laugh.

RPGCrazied

And I told you Pence was going to break the tie again, whats that like 3 times now?

Jesus, we just needed one more damn Republican.

Top Bottom