• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Brings Back Szechuan Dipping Sauce on October 7th, One Day Only

Having worked at a sandwich shop for quite some time, it can happen. Well, at least prepared bread. You have sales projections, but if you end up baking too much bread, you encounter a lot of waste. However, sometimes a day's sales will exceed your projections by a large margin for any number of reasons. We've never completely run out of bread, but we've come close, and taking bread from frozen to fully baked typically takes hours.

You're right, it's important to stay on top of your bread production, but maintaining the balance between what you need and what you might waste can sometimes be more difficult than anticipated.

Sorry, why did you quote me?

I just wanted a poster regardless, that is what I was upset they gave away.

For the record, I didn't mean it just on the employees,. but I'm sure if someone paid closer attention they'd have noticed. The employee who came out went "it started at 11 and ended at 2" no, check your email, that's wrong.
It's also on McDonalds itself, for making like, 20 sauces and posters available at each store, or not even that. if there truly was only 1000 posters, that averages to about 20 per state (rounding to 50) across multiple locations? the entire thing was fucked, and McDonalds is playing it off with the tweet
The best fans in the multiverse showed us what they got today. We hear you & we're sorry not everyone could get some super-limited Szechuan.
When if they made that little, there is no way they couldn't have made more sauce and posters.

I was already going out to catch some deals, today, figured "hey, why not try" so it just sucks when they can screw up a good promotion so bad. They had a chance for my money, and they lost it.

cheez124

I don’t really watch R&M so I wasn’t planning on going to this, but I ended up taking my brother and our cousin to one of the participating locations near us since they both watch the show. We left at around 1:30, thinking there wouldn’t be many people, but there was a huge line once we got there, and some police cars as well. My brother and cousin jumped out of the car to get in line while I tried to find parking across the street at a small restaurant, but one of their employees who was standing outside turned me away saying that people were getting towed for parking there. By the time I finally found parking in the McDonald’s lot, the police announced that there was no more sauce left and that they were gonna start towing people who parked outside of the McDonald’s lot. We ended up just going to Five Guys, lol

I want to watch the show eventually, but man this fanbase is kinda weird. Never thought I would see people line up for sauce, lol

This entire ordeal paints Rick and Morty fans in a pretty bad light. A TV show told you a sauce you likely never even tasted was good so you mindlessly decided to waste most of your day waiting for it in line? Then there's another group of people paying exorbitant amounts of money to try that elite McDonald's sauce? Since their ingredients are most definitely not hyper-processed bottom barrel quality right?

I vaguely remember that sauce from when I had it as a child and wouldn't mind checking it out again for the novelty but that's it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I hope McDonald's workers pocket a bunch to sell on eBay so they can cash in on this idiocy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought Disney cut all ties with McDonalds recently so I doubt Mulan live action will bring back the goods.

Sandfox

Went to a McDs here in NYC that the official website listed as a participating location. There wasn't much of a line and some kids with posters. Turns out they never got their shipment. So we just ordered a frap and waited and waited until they let is know they were fresh out. They gave us a card for some 2 free meals and we bailed. Disappointing, but shit happens. A location on Steinway had a line 3 blocks long supposedly. Brilliant marketing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the employees were lying and pocketed it at this point.
This entire ordeal paints Rick and Morty fans in a pretty bad light. A TV show told you a sauce you likely never even tasted was good so you mindlessly decided to waste most of your day waiting for it in line? Then there's another group of people paying exorbitant amounts of money to try that elite McDonald's sauce? Since their ingredients are most definitely not hyper-processed bottom barrel quality right?

I vaguely remember that sauce from when I had it as a child and wouldn't mind checking it out again for the novelty but that's it.
If anything this makes McDonalds look bad because they are clearly playing with people after having already done a previous giveaway to gauge interest.

Jedi2016

I didn't realize they were actually R&M branded packets. Here I was planning to actually eat it. Moot point, really, since the closest McDonald's that had it is two hours away.

old

I'm starting to see lines for it on twitter. I never thought in my life there would be lines like this for McDonald's. Like not even for some cool happy meal toy.

Fox Mulder

The Rick and Morty dudes are probably just laughing. They said this sauce is so good and people go line up at a fucking McDonald's for some packets.

Think for yourselves, don't be sheep.

PixelatedBookake

Lol I never thought of it like that. Most fans haven't even tasted the sauce Rick just told them it was amazing so they went out to get it. Weird.

ReAxion

This entire ordeal paints Rick and Morty fans in a pretty bad light. A TV show told you a sauce you likely never even tasted was good so you mindlessly decided to waste most of your day waiting for it in line?

It doesn’t say anything about any particular group. People lined up for bottled Big Mac sauce when they just serve it and you can ask for it in packets.

Ominym

Banned

Right on the money, this whole thing feels so weird. It actually resulted in a massive traffic backup in my area that police had to show up to.

Would love to see the amount of money the show’s writers are going to be shown to try and get them to drum up fervor for some other product no one cared about before then.

Belfast

Sorry, why did you quote me?

I just wanted a poster regardless, that is what I was upset they gave away.

For the record, I didn't mean it just on the employees,. but I'm sure if someone paid closer attention they'd have noticed. The employee who came out went "it started at 11 and ended at 2" no, check your email, that's wrong.
It's also on McDonalds itself, for making like, 20 sauces and posters available at each store, or not even that. if there truly was only 1000 posters, that averages to about 20 per state (rounding to 50) across multiple locations? the entire thing was fucked, and McDonalds is playing it off with the tweet When if they made that little, there is no way they couldn't have made more sauce and posters.

I was already going out to catch some deals, today, figured "hey, why not try" so it just sucks when they can screw up a good promotion so bad. They had a chance for my money, and they lost it.

I actually don’t know why it quoted you, too. I was replying from my phone so maybe I hit an extra button somewhere. Sorry!

I was goaded into making the vain attempt of trying to get this crap by a couple of friends, knowing full well it was a bad idea and a waste of time. I wasn't even going to bother originally (since I really didn't care), but since they unexpectedly showed up at my house to get me I was just like "fine... whatever." Come to find out when we get there, they were doing a raffle system for only 10 packets total, and they ran out of tickets. So we were like "oh okay then" and left. At least we didn't waste a lot of time waiting around.

I don't even understand why'd you go about doing it that way. It's not going to drive any extra substantial business. It was interesting all these people show up for this small chance at some sauce, though. Since the McDonalds was right by my university, the vast majority of people there were other college kids. Even saw a person dressed as Rick.

Snaku

Banned

Eh, I wouldn't blame any of this on R&M fans. McDonald's are being withholding dicks about it, only sending 20 packets to a handful of stores across the country. There's no excuse for that, they could have dumped hundreds of these sauce packets at every single McDonald's location in the country and not lost a single cent. But they didn't want to do that, they wanted to trend on Twitter. And if you wanted to try this sauce, lining up hours in advance seems to be the only way to have done it so how can I blame those people? Not to mention the people at the head of these lines were probably rat bastard scalpers who make a living off these piece of shit companies that practice artificial scarcity.

My local McD's didnt even carry them. I went to a few places around me and they are all owned by the same person. One of the employees said they tried to get them to carry it for today but the owner thought it was dumb

ThisGuy

Checked the website, said the about twenty minutes away had some. Go there, they never got a shipment.

A small town about 40 minutes north, prob an hour drive all said and done. Got a shipment and it sold out in 40 minutes. 40 minutes. That's insane.

Eh, I wouldn't blame any of this on R&M fans. McDonald's are being withholding dicks about it, only sending 20 packets to a handful of stores across the country. There's no excuse for that, they could have dumped hundreds of these sauce packets at every single McDonald's location in the country and not lost a single cent. But they didn't want to do that, they wanted to trend on Twitter. And if you wanted to try this sauce, lining up hours in advance seems to be the only way to have done it so how can I blame those people? Not to mention the people at the head of these lines were probably rat bastard scalpers who make a living off these piece of shit companies that practice artificial scarcity.
How fast do you expect a giant corporation to act on a joke from a cartoon? The episode aired in April. It wasn’t like McD was planning on the joke to go viral. Also making the sauce isn’t free. It costs time and money and for a big corporation like McDonalds mass producing the sauce on the scale you are suggesting is a huge risk just to join in on a joke.

From my perspective McDonalds didn’t have to do shit. The joke would have been forgotten like every internet meme and the world would move on.

snap

Banned
the one near me with szechuan that a line out the door three hours early. i went directly to the one that didn't have szechuan but had the rest of the stuff a few blocks away and they had no line, but started to gather one. managed to grab a ticket and when they started it they only had one of each poster. the first person got the szechuan one, i was still able to grab the hot mustard one.

Checked the website, said the about twenty minutes away had some. Go there, they never got a shipment.

A small town about 40 minutes north, prob an hour drive all said and done. Got a shipment and it sold out in 40 minutes. 40 minutes. That's insane.

40 min? try like 5min at every location remotely near a major city.

I would imagine they're going to sell these full time at all locations at some point. I mean hey this is the most publicity McDonald's has gotten in a long time.

Snaku

Banned
How fast do you expect a giant corporation to act on a joke from a cartoon? The episode aired in April. It wasn’t like McD was planning on the joke to go viral. Also making the sauce isn’t free. It costs time and money and for a big corporation like McDonalds mass producing the sauce on the scale you are suggesting is a huge risk just to join in on a joke.

From my perspective McDonalds didn’t have to do shit. The joke would have been forgotten like every internet meme and the world would move on.

They literally sent a giant jug of the shit to the R&M creators two months after the episode aired. The whole point of it was to go viral. They've been producing it since at least June. And capitalizing on the highest rated comedy show of the year is hardly a gamble for a company of McDonald's size.

snap

Banned
I would imagine they're going to sell these full time at all locations at some point. I mean hey this is the most publicity McDonald's has gotten in a long time.

yeah it's pretty much a given. they looked at their calendar and found the closest event they could attach szechuan to but i imagine they've already slotted another event at the end of their schedule entirely dedicated to szechuan

Strimei

I was wondering why the McDonalds I passed on my errands today had a line out the door. I thought it was some local event.

Top Bottom