• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV Rumor: Evolution Studios (Motorstorm) taking over WipEout [Up: Wait, we're wrong]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some digging around for info on if there really is a future for WipEout and stumbled upon this old 2009 article.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/07/scee-plans-to-merge-liverpool-and-evolution-studios/
Studio Liverpool, developers of the popular Wipeout franchise, and Evolution Studios, developers of the MotorStorm series, will eventually merge to work at one location.

My apologies if I am missing something and am completely out of the loop, but should the closing of Sony Liverpool really of been so surprising? I looked up the fate of many of the people who worked at Liverpool and it appears they are now working for Evolution. Of course some people will have to search for new work as is always the case in a merger, but it seems like closing down Sony Liverpool was in the plan for a long time, which would be good news for all those (myself included) who were under the impression that Sony closing down Liverpool meant they were abandoning WipEout.

But again I don't know all the details on the Sony Liverpool closure so I could be missing something. I just remember reading the thread, getting PO'd, and leaving.

btkadams

what does that even mean? will evolution have studio liverpool staff to work on it? i love the motorstorm franchise but i'm extremely weary of non-studio liverpool people working on wipeout.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
what does that even mean? will evolution have studio liverpool staff to work on it? i love the motorstorm franchise but i'm extremely weary of non-studio liverpool people working on wipeout.
Probably some people will trasnfer over, Evolution could do it justice easily imo

V_Ben

Banned
I can see Evolution doing great things with that IP. Although they could do with hiring a UI designer for it.

Better yet, just contract Cory Schmitz.

oHF72.gif

PS4 LAUNCH 1080p PLEASE!

kenta

Has no PEINS
NONONONO no nonono nonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

At the very least please please please let there be some Liverpool dudes that are making all of the important decisions

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Did some digging around for info on if there really is a future for WipEout and stumbled upon this old 2009 article.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/07/scee-plans-to-merge-liverpool-and-evolution-studios/

My apologies if I am missing something and am completely out of the loop, but should the closing of Sony Liverpool really of been so surprising? I looked up the fate of many of the people who worked at Liverpool and it appears they are now working for Evolution. Of course some people will have to search for new work as is always the case in a merger, but it seems like closing down Sony Liverpool was in the plan for a long time, which would be good news for all those (myself included) who were under the impression that Sony closing down Liverpool meant they were abandoning WipEout.

But again I don't know all the details on the Sony Liverpool closure so I could be missing something. I just remember reading the thread, getting PO'd, and leaving.
I think this would be the best possible scenario given what we know. Im staying optimistic.

Why the evolution hate? I think they could do the wipeout series justice better than any other sony first party dev. They at least have experience in the racing genre. I'll give them a chance. Especially if they have a few key liverpool people working there now. This could be really awesome.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Why are some people crying "noooooooo"?

Evolution are a fantastic fit imo, think about a 'rough and dirty' WipEout set really early on, that would be awesome.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Why the evolution hate? I think they could do the wipeout series justice better than any other sony first party dev. They at least have experience in the racing genre. I'll give them a chance. Especially if they have a few key liverpool people working there now. This could be really awesome.
Evolution has made racing games, that doesn't mean they're good at it. It'd be like Insomniac making Half-Life 3

Evolution picking development on the PS4 WipEout or something completely different? I know they're working on a Project Gotham type game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I dunno, man. I don't want Wipeout to be gone forever, but it just wouldn't feel right without Liverpool behind it. And I like Evolution and Motorstorm, it has nothing to do with "hate", they're a better fit then most studios but I can't imagine ANY studio being able to deliver a true Wipeout experience.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Good for them. Evolution makes some damn amazing racers and I think they could do the series justice without a doubt.

Kerub

Banned
A wipeout game with a destruction mechanic? That would be an interesting twist.

Yeah, that could be really neat. Maybe a power-up that let you change the track slightly? Raise a platform to a shortcut or something like that.

BeeDog

I fucking love MotorStorm: Apocalypse, so if anyone other than Liverpool need to take up the reins, let it be them.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
A wipeout game with a destruction mechanic? That would be an interesting twist.

Yep. After all, you would've weapons to blow stuff up with. I'm thinking something like Split/Second, but instead of pulling a trigger to detonate stuff remotely, you actually need to use/spend rockets (if you have them).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I could be OK with this, provided they get rid of the dammed Rubber Band AI and if they have people from the Liverpool studio working on it.

I want to see how this pans out before I start shouting doom and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom