• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV UK: PS4 best selling home console in 2013

jvm

Gamasutra.
Update
I received an anonymous tip yesterday that the MCV UK figures might be questionable. I decided to wait and see what happened when MCV UK published the story on their website.

Today they have a similar news story, but you can see that it says something quite different from the one in their subscription-only publication:
PlayStation 4 pipped Xbox 360 to become the UK’s biggest home games console of 2013.

Sony’s new machine sold over 530,000 consoles in just five weeks generating £181.4m, making it the fastest selling machine in UK history.

...snip...

However, although PS4 was a big revenue driver, it wasn’t the best-selling games device of 2013. That title belongs to the 3DS, which enjoyed strong sales thanks to a number of big releases and the launch of the 2DS.

Numbers courtesy of the Entertainment Retailer's Assocation, using GfK Chart-Track data.
The bold emphasis is added by me.

It is clear that they're talking about revenue here, which makes a ton more sense.

Original post below

According to MCV UK digital edition, out this morning.

We already know that the PS4 sold 530,000 units in the UK during 2013.

But now we know a bit more:
"The Playstation 4 pipped Xbox 360 in the final week to become the UK's best-selling home games console in 2013."

"It beat Xbox 360 to the No.1 home console position by a couple of thousand units"

"However, PS4 wasn't the best-selling games device of 2013. That title belongs to the 3DS, which enjoyed strong sales thanks to a number of big releases and the launch of the 2DS."

Into

Outsold Wii U ltd in UK in 24 hours

Outsold Xbox 360 full 2013 in the span of a few weeks

That is extremely impressive

Bundy

Banned
kv0VAO2.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fucking hell. That shows two things
1) Sony sold a shit load of PS4s in 2013 in the UK
2) PS360 was crashing in hardware sales during the year

Skeff

Strange, the software chart does not reflect 3DS being the number one sold device.

In the UK the 3DS isn't really that popular in the sense of amount of playtime (judging purely anecdotally) The Vast Majority of owners do seem to stick to just a few huge releases such as Pokemon, or at least in my Experience with 3DS owners in the UK.

Daffy Duck

Hardly surprising considering 2013 saw the news of a new console coming out.

I'd expect at that late stage in the game most console sales were second hand with people picking them up on the cheap from Gumtree/Ebay and GAME etc.

Into

Shows that hardware decline in UK was not due to people in UK losing interest in games, they just lost interest in ass old consoles from 2005 and 2006, they moved on faster than the rest of us continental Europe.

They still very much love games, the talk the last 2 years about how people no longer cared was misguided, they wanted something new, as clearly evident.

GHG

If by long time, you mean one generation.

Yeh was gonna say... The UK is still Sonyland at heart. Theres a whole generationvof gamers there who grew up playing the PS1 and PS2. It was only because of Sonys delays and pricing that enabled the 360 to become dominant there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pricecuts are way overdue.

other than the 4GB/12GB units, I think both PS3 and 360 are close to bottoming out - they are pretty complex compared to previous consoles and I don't know how much cheaper they can go - especially if they can't die shrink further.

MercuryLS

Banned
Jesus Christ... in the UK too, a long time MS stronghold.

Just what I was thinking. Attach rate in the UK must be pretty bad.

Longtime? 1 gen is a long time? UK was a Sony stronghold with PS1/2 and before that it was a Sega stronghold.

UK gamers are value conscious, they want a good bang for their buck. Sony offers the best balance between price/performance/future support of any console. It's no surprise it's doing so well.

Shows that hardware decline in UK was not due to people in UK losing interest in games, they just lost interest in ass old consoles from 2005 and 2006, they moved on faster than the rest of us continental Europe.

They still very much love games

Yep this gen lasted way to long , next gen was really needed to get things started back again .
Plus the fast they sell the faster cross gen ports going to die .

CCS

Banned
Yeh was gonna say... The UK is still Sonyland at heart. Theres a whole generationvof gamers there who grew up playing the PS1 and PS2. It was only because of Sonys delays and pricing that enabled the 360 to become dominant there.

Very true. You can see that all the time in small things, like on tv if people are talking about video games they always talk about Playstation.

Why shouldn't we?

X360 = sales of 12 months
PS4 = sales of what? 3 months max?

Impressive, period!

He's being sarcastic as "Don't read too much into it..." is something some in the media have been saying ever since Sony started releasing their first numbers for the PS4.

SmokyDave

PS4 is going to do rather well on these shores, I reckon.

This would suggest people are buying the system for just a few titles and then largely just picking up those.
Yup. Week in, week out, it's the same first party titles in the 3DS top 10 with the occasional 3rd party guest star taking up one slot. It's quite strange, yet makes some kind of sense.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This would suggest people are buying the system for just a few titles and then largely just picking up those.

also because there are way less games released compared to the home console market in the west

Btw: impressive PS4 sales also in the UK! congrats to Sony for how they are handling this product up to now

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Strange, the software chart does not reflect 3DS being the number one sold device.

Strange ? Not really, every big major release is on home consoles. Not too mention that there is way more marketing, sales-promotion, bomba sales etc. for console games.

Top Bottom