• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mea Culpa - who else thought that the Switch would be a failure?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I had doubts after Wii U. Something that gave me confidence is that I really, instantly liked the direction — which is something that the former system and all it’s complexity and strangeness, was never able to give me.

Usually, if something is really exciting to you as a customer, even apart from your gaming or Nintendo fandom, that’s a good sign.

NickFire

I thought it would fail, and honestly I kind of wanted it to because I was salty at the $ spent on Wii U before it was cancelled so early. But now I'm very happy with it.

-Troid-

Banned
I think only the virtual console point here holds up to any scrutiny. Not an upgrade from Wii U? Casual crowd? Don’t own it but it’s overrated...riiiight

It's pretty simple:
If you're someone who got a Switch but didn't have a WiiU it seems new and refreshing and you don't notice all it's games are ports. So it's great.

If you had a WiiU beforehand then the Switch is basically the WiiU's mid-gen refresh version, except unlike the PS4pro and X1X if you want to play the same games you have to buy them over again. For loyal customers who got the WiiU the Switch is kind of a middle finger to them; even if most of them don't realize it.

I've played the Switch. I found it uncomfortable to hold (and the controls sticks honestly suck) in handheld hence part of the reason I would only use one at home so I could use an actual controller. The system is extremely overated if you don't care about handheld functionality.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I assumed it would be a moderate success. Enough to be profitable but falling somewhere around Gamecube levels in the end.

I'm not ashamed to say after the WiiU and initial reveal, I genuinely thought it was going to bomb.

I was totally wrong, and it's proven itself a worthy successor to the manyles of the Wii, 3DS and even PSVita. It's by far my go to system right now, seeing way more game time than my PS4.

The Wii U was such a colossal failure that it was easy to be afraid the Switch wouldn't do well. I'm very glad it's as big as it is because Nintendo's vision for gaming is unparalleled. The industry would flat out suck balls without them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
3DS was on its last legs and Nintendo Handhelds almost always do well, if a bit slow in the beginning. Sure this is more of a hybrid console (and one I play primarily docked), but handheld itself is a massive selling point. Being able to play a game like BotW on the go? Easy sell.

So no, I never thought the console would be a failure.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not everybody thought the Wii U was a failure, I read the Switch as another console that gamers will worry about its power but essentially a fun machine.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
lol Breathe of the Wild & Mario Odyssey AND Mario Kart made it a must buy for me. My favorite franchises since a lil kid. Nintendo hooked me a long as$ time ago something PS or Xbox can never do because they don't make games for kids. EVERYONE can play Nintendo games.

lol some1 posted a thread yesterday about what Nintendo games to get a six year old

lol kids will have plenty of time to spend with Nintendo characters & get to know them.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I thought it would be as in "Nintendo's gimmick console"; a failure after Wii U but once I Saw Switch I knew it would be successful.

Not because of the games, but because I have seen Nintendo Fanboys each with 5 to 7 3ds/handheld consoles....

Bakkus

Nope. However, I did not think it would be this massive success that it has been.

And I don't think it deserves it either.

Kamina

Golden Boy
There is no need to confess. The original Switch thread’s first few pages are a wall of shame.

Coming from the Wii U I was very, very skeptical how Nintendo would proceed. But I didn't care; Shin Megami Tensei V was announced, and therefore 50% of the reason for me to get one.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I knew it wouldn't fail when they confirmed it would be replacing not just the WiiU, but the 3DS as well.
I don't have the quote here, but I'm pretty sure they said it wasn't a successor to the 3DS. Of course, this is a little different now with the Lite.

But it was an important distinction that the Switch wasn't a portable that could connect the TV. It was a Home Console, that you could take anywhere.

That was the initial vision, at least. And the Hybrid version is still outselling the portable one in most of the world. So it's clearly an important thing to distinguish..

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I thought it would success as a handheld but not as a home console, although it won't reach Wii numbers but better than 3DS.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn't. The Switch had this immediately recognizable appeal and clear sales pitch, much like the Wii, and totally unlike the Wii U.

Breath of the Wild was also an instant system seller, pretty easy to see IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom