• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meanwhile in Brazil....or Gotham

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://scarcity-studios.com/2021/08/30/brazil-bank-robbers-plant-bombs-around-city/

Bank robbers with military hardware strapped civilian hostages to the outside of their cars as human shields during a huge raid in Brazil that saw at least three people killed.

Around 20 robbers armed with machine guns, proximity bombs and drones are thought to have raided three banks in the centre of Araçatuba city, 290 miles from Sao Paulo, starting around midnight.

Raiders attacked the local police headquarters and blocked roads into the city using burned-out cars to stop reinforcements from arriving, before kidnapping locals to use as human shields.

At least three died in the raid including two civilians and one robber, Brazilian media reported, while two people were arrested.

The fate of most of the hostages, including those strapped to the vehicles, is unclear. One woman who said she had been kidnapped at gunpoint and thrown in a truck told journalists she had escaped by running into a nearby hotel.

Speaking to G1, the woman said: ‘We were returning from a party. They stopped the car and… threw me on the ground, they threw us into a truck, they kidnapped us.

‘We were praying all the way. They stopped us at the bank, pointed the gun in my face several times. I had to beg for my life, get help. I had to escape, otherwise they would kill me.

‘I begged for my life, showed me my waist, they saw I had [no weapon]. Thank God I managed to run away, I entered a hotel. They were heavily armed. They pointed R15, AK 47 in my face.’

The entire city has since been placed on lockdown with police warning that bombs have been scattered through the streets and residents should stay inside.

One photo shows what appears to be a sophisticated bomb left in the street with a proximity sensor attached – meaning it will detonate if anybody gets too close.

The raid began when the robbers hijacked and burned at least four vehicles, using the wrecks to block roads.

One was placed outside the headquarters of the local military police – trapping officers inside – while two more were placed on the main highway.

Raiders then moved to the city centre where a fourth burned-out vehicle was dumped near a string of banks.

Raiders then struck branches of the Banco do Brasil, Banco Safra and Caixa Econômica, taking an unknown amount of cash.

It was then that they started taking hostages – holding people up at gunpoint before strapping them to the outside of their vehicles.

Bombs fitted with infrared proximity sensors were then scattered along the escape route to stop people following them.

At least four people were injured in the shooting, according to the Folha de Sao Paulo site, which did not give any indication of their condition.

One person was shot during the raid while another, a cyclist, was hit by one of the infrared bombs.

jason10mm

Gold Member
"The police response time is 5 minutes, we have to be in and out in that time"

"Not if we ATTACK the police station first!".....Fast and the Furious 10..Family means police station.

Sadly, that would probably work. Heck, just a suspicious package, a few rounds shot aimlessly out of a window (via remote controlled gun), or a bomb threat caled into the station would probably work as well.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Reading those news felt like a real life Moderm Warfare 2 Favela campaign

Ffs this is horible news my condolence for the hostage

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
"Bombs fitted with infrared proximity sensors were then scattered along the escape route to stop people following them."

how can thugs like them have access to something like this? This is ridiculous holy shit

Last edited:
Yup its terrible here.

A very close and important (to me) person was kidnapped a month or so ago and had almost their whole savings stolen. This person is still trying to deal with it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Non-corrupt cops in countries like Brazil & Mexico are heroes.

Take extra money on the side & look the other way vs endanger yourself & your family.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
That's crazy , and horrifying. inmates in Brazilian jails do to each other is horrific as well. There's a video, I do not recommend looking for, where they bash an inmate's head in and proceed to scoop his brains etc out while cheering and laughing.

Last edited:

Keihart

I have an acquaintance that lives in brazil, he has told me several times.

"i'm telling you man, when i say brazil is GTA online in real life it's not an exaggeration"

"Bombs fitted with infrared proximity sensors were then scattered along the escape route to stop people following them."

how can thugs like them have access to something like this? This is ridiculous holy shit

ZhAwnvF.png

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Brazil is insane. Seems like a beautiful country, but I'm never going there. Nor to any part of South America, much of it seems fucked. (I'm sure there are also decent places, but I don't know what they are.)

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Source: https://scarcity-studios.com/2021/08/30/brazil-bank-robbers-plant-bombs-around-city/

Bank robbers with military hardware strapped civilian hostages to the outside of their cars as human shields during a huge raid in Brazil that saw at least three people killed.

Around 20 robbers armed with machine guns, proximity bombs and drones are thought to have raided three banks in the centre of Araçatuba city, 290 miles from Sao Paulo, starting around midnight.

Raiders attacked the local police headquarters and blocked roads into the city using burned-out cars to stop reinforcements from arriving, before kidnapping locals to use as human shields.

At least three died in the raid including two civilians and one robber, Brazilian media reported, while two people were arrested.

The fate of most of the hostages, including those strapped to the vehicles, is unclear. One woman who said she had been kidnapped at gunpoint and thrown in a truck told journalists she had escaped by running into a nearby hotel.

Speaking to G1, the woman said: ‘We were returning from a party. They stopped the car and… threw me on the ground, they threw us into a truck, they kidnapped us.

‘We were praying all the way. They stopped us at the bank, pointed the gun in my face several times. I had to beg for my life, get help. I had to escape, otherwise they would kill me.

‘I begged for my life, showed me my waist, they saw I had [no weapon]. Thank God I managed to run away, I entered a hotel. They were heavily armed. They pointed R15, AK 47 in my face.’

The entire city has since been placed on lockdown with police warning that bombs have been scattered through the streets and residents should stay inside.

One photo shows what appears to be a sophisticated bomb left in the street with a proximity sensor attached – meaning it will detonate if anybody gets too close.

The raid began when the robbers hijacked and burned at least four vehicles, using the wrecks to block roads.

One was placed outside the headquarters of the local military police – trapping officers inside – while two more were placed on the main highway.

Raiders then moved to the city centre where a fourth burned-out vehicle was dumped near a string of banks.

Raiders then struck branches of the Banco do Brasil, Banco Safra and Caixa Econômica, taking an unknown amount of cash.

It was then that they started taking hostages – holding people up at gunpoint before strapping them to the outside of their vehicles.

Bombs fitted with infrared proximity sensors were then scattered along the escape route to stop people following them.

At least four people were injured in the shooting, according to the Folha de Sao Paulo site, which did not give any indication of their condition.

One person was shot during the raid while another, a cyclist, was hit by one of the infrared bombs.

Thank you for the information. How absolutely insane.

A side note, I must say, your lack of paragraphs reminds me of how I tried to get around the minimum writing requirements in middle school English class.

morelan

I'm brazilian, and this is completely insane and frightening. As far as I know, it's not like this happened in a town famous for being violent. This could have happened in my city.

Keihart

Brazil is insane. Seems like a beautiful country, but I'm never going there. Nor to any part of South America, much of it seems fucked. (I'm sure there are also decent places, but I don't know what they are.)
Chile is alright, for now at least.

Gp1

The police just found around 40 IEDs in this city...

The situation in Brazil is something like this. Some small/mid sized "rich" cities in the state of São Paulo/South/Southeast has crimes rates comparable to EU/US. It's way safer than the big cities and cities of the northeast/northern part of the country. Even if the security sensation is not nearly comparable, São Paulo state, believe it or not, has a median homicide rate of about 1/3 of what a city like Chicago has.

The problem is that at the same time, Brazil has probably the biggest crime syndicate in the world (PCC) and São Paulo state is the cradle of this guys. From time to time, some very well organized gang affiliated to these syndicates find "gaps'" in the public security structure of these smaller cities and then we have bank heists like this. We called this "Novo Cangaço" gangs (roughly, something like "New Wild West gangs")

Keihart

So wheres the brazilian army? Marshal law and start hunting and executing those thugs on the spot.
I think they used to do this on fabellas with the special forces team called the Caveiras or BOPE i think, or something like it.
Seems like it wasn't THAT successful as to eradicate the gangs, at this point is something engrained on the country it seems.

Last edited:

Gp1

So wheres the brazilian army? Marshal law and start hunting and executing those thugs on the spot.

The police usually deals with these guys in a short time, especially when it's something that attracts media.
It's hard for a single gang do two crimes like this in a sequence, specially in southeast. They usually lay low for sometime and then they diversify their business (drug dealing, stolen car parts, money laundering etc.)

The problem usually lies on the prevention. Even if the number of cops in Brazil is comparable to first world countries, the normal street cop is usually underpaid, overburden and outgunned (not the elite SWAT units) to face a gang like this. Usually when the intelligence/prevention works and a robber gang bumps with some elite SWAT unit its not pretty and ends this way.

https://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/noti...0-em-confronto-com-quadrilha-no-morumbi.ghtml (google translate)

corpos-mortos.jpeg

ps. @keyhart BOPE (at least the one known from Elite Squad and Rainbow Six Siege ) is the SWAT unit of the Military Police of Rio de Janeiro. We usually have two polices here, Civil Police ("equivalent" somewhat to state/municipal polices in the US) and military police (something like a Gendarmerie). Is not exactly like this but it illustrates.

Rio is another different reality than the entire country.
In Rio you have some favelas that the state is basically non existent and the drug dealers/militia provides even the most basic services like cooking gas, cable TV, internet etc. So when the police has to enforce the law in this places, It's usually the BOPE that goes in. (or another SWAT unit of the Civil Police)
Seriously, watch the two Elite Squade movies. They show the reality of Rio de Janeiros Police in the 90's / 2000's.

Last edited:

Paulistano

The current brazilian goverment has no dialog with criminals like the one before, so they are seizing every illegal drug they can, this is making some criminal factions desperate to earn some cash then things like this shit happens.

Top Bottom