• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mech Game Appreciation - Your favorite Robot games

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
This counts?

511A52HKNWL.jpg

DelireMan7

Still can’t believe we didn’t get a single AC game last gen and nothing is on the horizon for this gen either
Isn't it confirmed that FromSoft is working on a new AC ? (I checked there was a job offer for a character designer focusing on Mecha on the FromSoft website. No official confirmation but high suspicion)

Edit : Also saving this thread for future suggestion of mech game. Never explored this kind of game but want to at one point.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Armored Core - For Answer
Still the fastest action game on the planet. This is as hardcore as gaming gets.

Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
The best pure mech vs game imo. Crisp, smooth - gameplay with depth - timeless. Hop on the BC xbox 360 version and test your skills again the Japanese freaks still playing the game and see how this game is truly meant to be played.

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh also it's not out yet (still in early access) but I'm really looking forward to Phantom Brigade:

Reactions: Isa
The MechAssault games on the OG Xbox. I don't remember the names, but there was a small mech that had a cloaking device with a ridiculously powerful dumb-fire weapon that stuck to enemies. I used to love spotting a large, slow mech, cloaking, getting all up in their shit, and giving them a present before running out of the blast radius.

Hearing noobs shriek when their 'powerful' walking bullseyes blew up from the 'worst' mech in the game was a thing of beauty.

Isa

Gold Member
I enjoy a good bit of mecha, though my favorite is the Battletech universe by far. Gundam is also up there, though mainly the older stuff. I really like the designs in Xenoblade/Gears/Saga series and Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders also have some cool designs. I prefer the more sim-y gameplay and mech/weapon variety in Mechwarrior though with the franchise's huge catalogue of mechs to chose from and factions. Also in the same universe the tabletop game is great with different iterations and the PC game is alright, plus Mechcommander and MechAssault, the later of which needs a dire update to the back compat list asap. I'm guessing licensing issues are in the way since different owners now.

Also the OST's in the Mechwarrior series are legit amazing. I do really dig the more grounded vibe in the early Gundam shows, and the 0080 to what, 83 were very good. My Sister and I would love watching the animes back then and I'd get whatever games I could at the time. They weren't that great but they were still enjoyable as a mecha fan.

It looked like ass but it really made me feel like I was in a giant-sized mech.

R.cbfd9ed9faa28f8d207ec281e1749df8
I don’t know why but I think this might be one my favorite mech games. I bought this game on release and loved it. It’s also one of the best Jaguar games.
Plus it’s one of the original polygonal mech games also.

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
I enjoy a good bit of mecha, though my favorite is the Battletech universe by far. Gundam is also up there, though mainly the older stuff. I really like the designs in Xenoblade/Gears/Saga series and Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders also have some cool designs. I prefer the more sim-y gameplay and mech/weapon variety in Mechwarrior though with the franchise's huge catalogue of mechs to chose from and factions. Also in the same universe the tabletop game is great with different iterations and the PC game is alright, plus Mechcommander and MechAssault, the later of which needs a dire update to the back compat list asap. I'm guessing licensing issues are in the way since different owners now.

Also the OST's in the Mechwarrior series are legit amazing. I do really dig the more grounded vibe in the early Gundam shows, and the 0080 to what, 83 were very good. My Sister and I would love watching the animes back then and I'd get whatever games I could at the time. They weren't that great but they were still enjoyable as a mecha fan.
The show 08th ms team and the movie msg hathaway are both godlike for heavy grounded action, gives me goosebumps. One obscure game that attempts to capture that kind of walking tank feeling is gundam side story 0079 for dreamcast. Not sure how it holds up but back in the day it was like nothing else, a beautiful blending of mechwarrior groundedness and gundam style. The folks who made the game must have used 08th ms team as a primary reference.

• Love

Isa

Gold Member
The show 08th ms team and the movie msg hathaway are both godlike for heavy grounded action, gives me goosebumps. One obscure game that attempts to capture that kind of walking tank feeling is gundam side story 0079 for dreamcast. Not sure how it holds up but back in the day it was like nothing else, a beautiful blending of mechwarrior groundedness and gundam style. The folks who made the game must have used 08th ms team as a primary reference.
Thanks I'm going to have to check it out, sounds great. Man 8th MS Team was so good.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries is the best (use abandonware isos and dgVoodoo2, there's no need for any weird patched up versions floating around the internet that do god knows what to the engine and balance by adding non canon crap to an already huge game) and even better with stick/hotas.

GunGriffon I & II were amazing as far as early 3D console games go. The fan made sequel HIGH-MACS Simulator is great too.

Other fun stuff.

If games have you in a mech but control like any first/third person shooter or action game, rather than piloting a vehicle (whether simy like MW or arcade like VO), it's pointless. Though such games are still good (like the Gundam vs games), I wouldn't class them as mech games, just mech themed.

It's similar for genres like rpg, strategy, beat 'em ups, fighting games or whatever, even if they're great like Front Mission (well, Gun Hazard is a 2D mech game), Sakura Wars, Battletech, Armored Warriors, Cyberbots or Tech Romancer. If they're made to serve their genres first, mechs are secondary.​

Last edited:

manfestival

Oh also it's not out yet (still in early access) but I'm really looking forward to Phantom Brigade:

Love this game. Picked up back in like April and they keep making fantastic changes to the game. It was actually really fun back then and it just keeps on improving. At the moment, I am waiting for them to kinda finalize things because some changes had an impact on how I was playing versus prior. Def worthy of a pick up when they release it on steam of even now.

Lots of fantastic games on this page right now.

Gundam Extreme Versus Full Boost

2834839-298174_front.jpg

I have this on ps3, imported from Japan
MBON got released in the US on PS4(PS5) and it is by far the superior version.

Here I am wishing that we had more front mission like the old stuff. I know there is that remake coming out but I want something new with the old system.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Shoutout to Iron Rebellion for multiplayer VR mech action. It’s early access and still has a ways to go but they’ve been really dialing in the feel of the game. I fire it up every once in a while just to go to the practice room and jump jet around taking pot shots at randoms. The cockpit interactions feel great, I hope they’ll develop that part more. It reminds me of hawken but with a super immersive cockpit experience.

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries is still the best (and plays beautifully with the original isos and dgVoodoo2, there's no need for any weird patched up versions floating around the internet that do god knows what to the balance by adding a ton of crap to a game that already has so much stuff in it).

I was building a mental rage post not seeing Mech Warrior in this thread. Mech Warrior II was bloody awesome at the time too.

R.5fe29f09c1c6905be119730de3c13d74

Top Bottom