• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mecha Fans - Muv-Luv TSF Forefront?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Have you heard of this? Doujin shooter by Little Meteor circle that has been in development forever.
JP homepage

iJOJM2B9eL4H2.gif

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

More videos are around if you're curious.

I think relatively recently, development was moved to Unreal Engine 4, so maybe it'll come out soon. Looks very comiketish, but still pretty cool. When I first saw the gif I thought it was Monolith's X.

Ragnakor

Neo Member
Only if it allows people to reenact "Takeru Is A Killing God" segment during the Yokohama Hive arc.

...Laser Class Fort BETA from Total Eclipse would be nice, too.

After watching those vids it looks like EDF with fast mechs. sweet

Edit: Any idea how far off this is from completion? Usually many the good doujins can take 5 or so years until the final version is released.

If this is from a Japanese developer and is using Unreal Engine 4 that practically confirms that this is at least in development for PS4?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
holy shit that looks good.

Sony needs to pick these guys up ASAP.

its sad how generally the fans make better stuff than the companies who hold the actual licenses...

If this is from a Japanese developer a and is using Unreal Engine 4 that practically confirms that this is at least in development for PS4.
AFAIK, doujin games can't get on consoles because they usually don't have the rights to make and distribute the games and get paid for it. Doujin games are pretty common on PC though.

As a non-Muv Luv fan who watched Titty Total Eclipse, I wouldn't mind playing this. I get the feeling it's going to be thin on plot, which suits me fine, because just about everything about Muv Luv's story is dumber than usual for anime.

Parakeetman

AFAIK, doujin games can't get on consoles because they usually don't have the rights to make and distribute the games and get paid for it. Doujin games are pretty common on PC though.

As a non-Muv Luv fan who watched Titty Total Eclipse, I wouldn't mind playing this. I get the feeling it's going to be thin on plot, which suits me fine, because just about everything about Muv Luv's story is dumber than usual for anime.

Actually thats incorrect, "doujin" games that used licensed materials without a license cant get on consoles. While there is a lot of items out there that used licensed stuff, there is also a fair amount of original content. In this particular case sure its not going to go official, but for folks thinking that just because something is a "doujin" title that it cant be published is what I mean by incorrect thinking.

Yeah Japanese IP holders tend to turn a blind eye to doujins but other avenues like consoles and Steam are no go.

Hopefully it'll be easy to play without knowing Japanese or someone makes an English patch for it.

edit @Parakeetman that's correct Sony partnered with Rockin Android to release those shmups on PS3, plus the arcade version of Trouble Witches made it to XBLA. Also a few doujins have put out games on XBLIG IIRC.

Parakeetman

Yeah Japanese IP holders tend to turn a blind eye to doujins but other avenues like consoles and Steam are no go.

Hopefully it'll be easy to play without knowing Japanese or someone makes an English patch for it.

More like hopefully they will print enough copies to even be able to get our hands on one. :/ I fucking hate finding out about an awesome looking doujin title but due to not having gone more like dont go to comiket wasnt able to get a copy. One example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrtkCH2kS6s

Muv-Luv Alternative is GOAT. I remember when the release was set for end of last year. It looks better with every new video they put up. and those gifs... I need this game

While there seems to be a few doujin guys in here anybody have any news on Easy Gamestation's Territoire? I've been waiting forever for that game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It actually looks really good. Interesting source material, too.

But doujin games are really deceptive. Flashy graphics are seldom met with substance or competent controls.

EmpReb

Banned
Muv-Luv Alternative is GOAT. I remember when the release was set for end of last year. It looks better with every new video they put up. and those gifs... I need this game
Muv-Luv Alternative is a literal gold mine for both the world building and Stories,and true games (I consider VN to be more of digital books with CG thrown in now and then). Freaking this game would sell like hot cakes on Steam if people knew what could be done plot wise.

Muv-Luv Alternative is a literal gold mine for both the world building and Stories,and true games (I consider VN to be more of digital books with CG thrown in now and then). Freaking this game would sell like hot cakes on Steam if people knew what could be done plot wise.

Have you read the short stories from Tactical Surface Fighters in Action (TSFiA)? IIRC, the translator is out on deployment, but he did God's work with the releases. Really interesting (and sometimes unintentionally hilarious) expanded universe stuff. Issue #22, titled Silent Dawn, had a blurb about how the Middle Eastern countries declared jihad on the BETA, got wrecked and was pressed to trade oil for mechs from the US to combat them.

Seishin

I saw this a while back and thought it was pretty interesting. Sorta like EDF with mecha?

Though the last time I checked up on it, they had put it on indefinite hiatus. But I guess it's not anymore, what with the "Development has moved to UE4. Please wait a little longer." notice.

I hope it comes out soon, I'm really interested in it. Especially if it has multiplayer.

TheRook

ML mech design is pretty good, so more games would be nice.
I agree, the Manga adaption was also pretty neat. Especially for alternative. Total Eclipse was also pretty nice too, I liked the MC to that spin off and Kriska was pretty chill of a character~

Hopefully I'll get a better PC to play this on, along with Asterbreed and Mitsutugi Kamui Hikae.

I agree, the Manga adaption was also pretty neat. Especially for alternative. Total Eclipse was also pretty nice too, I liked the MC to that spin off and Kriska was pretty chill of a character~

Hopefully I'll get a better PC to play this on, along with Asterbreed and Mitsutugi Kamui Hikae.

And then they fucked it up with the anime of one of the most boring shit in the Muv-Luv universe...
It was like "Hey. The earth is overrun by man eating aliens. Let us just make episodes where the MCs are in different HQs and do their training!"

TheRook

And then they fucked it up with the anime of one of the most boring shit in the Muv-Luv universe...
It was like "Hey. The earth is overrun by man eating aliens. Let us just make episodes where the MCs are in different HQs and do their training!"

*shrugs* the anime adaption wasn't that bad, in fact the opening episode was done really well imo. It wasn't the VN or even the manga adaption but I didn't completely expect it to be either. So to each their own...I suppose.

A action mech game based off Muv-Luv is a wonderful idea though. But I hope as a Ester Egg they have the Mech game the MC of the original series played as a hobby either a tutorial or bonus mission.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
*shrugs* the anime adaption wasn't that bad, in fact the opening episode was done really well imo. It wasn't the VN or even the manga adaption but I didn't completely expect it to be either. So to each their own...I suppose.

The opening episode was really well done, I was hoping for 13 episodes with the same epic battle.

Nope, school romance.

I ain't defending the mediocrity of the anime (I played through the TE VN on the PS3 which Kouki had total creative control over, and the writing, while still long-winded at some places, was better for it), but to me, the idea of Total Eclipse it was a breath of fresh air from the frontline story we got from the main trilogy. TE was presented as a different battlefront; the research and development of new/improved TSF models to combat the BETA. These guys make sure the TSFs that leave their base perform at top specs, to ensure survival and victory in battle for the pilots at the frontlines.The key idea that Kouki iterates is that the BETAverse shows that everyone has their own role to play in this whole war, from the cooks, maintenance crew, engineers, to the politicians, commanding officers, frontline soldiers.

EmpReb

Banned
The opening episode was really well done, I was hoping for 13 episodes with the same epic battle.

Nope, school romance.
There was a lot of reasons that happen but really its was one the animes that needed a higher budget(the first director blew the moneys it the first 2 episodes but they are freaking AOT OPENING levels of FTW/Quality) And that this spin off its not the same as the other franchise in that the romance ... ok really in MLA the whole romance thing was a side plot to all the shit that happen but Muv-Luv School romance roots kind of still are their being it was a third route after two females....... yeah for a quasi fan of this franchise I know way too much about it.

Really It needed to focus way more of the what make the franchise great then throw in some romance... not the other way around that happened. The ending was fine the Opening was amazing it was the freaking middle that was shambles and ruined it for me. If they had kept the tone that I felt in all of MLA that the world is going to shit then they would have done a better job but they went to far in to left field.... I guess Japan be Japan some days.

EDIT: He said it better and I have not gotten around to the VNs of TE and After stories so his word better than mine
I ain't defending the mediocrity of the anime (I played through the TE VN on the PS3 which Kouki had total creative control over, and the writing, while still long-winded at some places, was better for it), but to me, the idea of Total Eclipse it was a breath of fresh air from the frontline story we got from the main trilogy. TE was presented as a different battlefront; the research and development of new/improved TSF models to combat the BETA. These guys make sure the TSFs that leave their base perform at top specs, to ensure survival and victory in battle for the pilots at the frontlines.The key idea that Kouki iterates is that the BETAverse shows that everyone has their own role to play in this whole war, from the cooks, maintenance crew, engineers, to the politicians, commanding officers, frontline soldiers.

Yeah. I know what they were trying to do, but the execution was just piss-poor in my opinion.
The prologue was great I think and then everything became sooo boring. I remember one episode was just about them being in this bar, talking about shit no one cares about.

Besides the overall xenophobic vibe, the whole anime was boring. I think you can make it interesting to show the things you described, but at least this Spin-Off did it pretty poorly.

Yeah. I know what they were trying to do, but the execution was just piss-poor in my opinion.
The prologue was great I think and then everything became sooo boring. I remember one episode was just about them being in this bar, talking about shit no one cares about.

Besides the overall xenophobic vibe, the whole anime was boring. I think you can make it interesting to show the things you described, but at least this Spin-Off did it pretty poorly.

It really was a poor adaptation and I'm probably one of the biggest ML fanboys around here. Not to mention the anime was a sort of marketing campaign for the visual novel, since the VN had the second half of the story (which was actually pretty good, IMO, reminded me of the latter portions of MLA). Kouki worked his magic once again, so a lot of the stuff shown in the anime was better executed in the VN while tackling some similar, but also new themes (that relate to Yuuya) compared to the ones found in MLA. I even found the whole ending arc of the TE VN a better "tale of love and courage" than MLA, but YMMV (not to mention it's untranslated, but I thank my Japanese professors for teaching me well). All in all, the TE VN is the definitive Total Eclipse experience. I hope with the PC version coming out, we can read it in English.

PS: If you would rather spoil yourself, there's a pastebin out there with a pretty good summary of the second half of the story. I can confirm it's all accurate.

Top Bottom