• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechwarrior 2, the greatest mech sim ever, was released 20 years ago today

bender

What time is it?
Still waiting for a return to glory :(

Not going to happen. Microsoft dumbed it down with MW4 and ruined it with the MechAssault games. :(

I'd kill for GoG releases of MechWarrior 2-3 and MechCommander.

Still have a sealed Saitek X35/36 combo. I played so much MW3 online. I'll miss you MS Gaming Zone. I wonder if Starlance is still a thing.

nubbe

>Load up on the heaviest, most power-hungry weapons possible

>Aim at enemy mech and fire all of them at once

>Hope to dear god you hit it, because your mech isn't going to power back on for a good 5-6 minutes

Prepare to fire
Sir, which weapons?
All of them!

uuUSMkd.gif

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So many memories. Best mech game of all time by far.

The Titanium Trilogy was one of my most played games, and the one that really made me love PC gaming so much.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I remember getting up at 6am in the mornings, after my parents left for work, so that I could immerse myself in this game. Loved the atmosphere, the gameplay, the music, and the god tier Arrow missile system in Ghost Bears Legacy.

Why did games like these get left by the wayside? :(

MWO seems like such a waste of a legacy.

Ah my first big game for my old ass Pentium 90. This and Ghost Bear's Legacy was the best. I also used to go to a local Virtual World in Pasadena and do weekly tournaments in their Battletech Pods. So good.

vglu_c5.jpg

Nikodemos

I'm probably biased for not entering the series until the 3rd, but I prefer the hardpoint-style loadout from 4 (and MechCommander 2) over the weight-based one in 2/3 (and the first MC).

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Ah my first big game for my old ass Pentium 90. This and Ghost Bear's Legacy was the best. I also used to go to a local Virtual World in Pasadena and do weekly tournaments in their Battletech Pods. So good.

vglu_c5.jpg

While everyone was trundling around in their 486DX2—33 and 486DX2—66s, I (well my dad) was rocking a Pentium 90 with 16MB memory.

Top Bottom