• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior 5 at MechCon 2018 [Release Date, New Trailer, Co-Op Gameplay]

zcaa0g

Banned
L:et's argue about semantics, shall we...

Except that it is not semantics. Being big and successful does not equate to a monopoly and Valve isn't bullying other storefronts or preventing them from competing in any way. Don't whine, get better.

llien

Google controls about 60% of global internet ad revenue.
Why jump from search engine business to "global internet ad" pretty please?
Use something else instead, say, cloud business, even smaller numbers, I guess.

if Steam/Valve would be a monopoly, Epic would not have such an easy time gathering exclusives left and right
If Steam/Valve would not be a monopoly, Epic would not need to bribe developers for exclusive deals, to get going, the mere fact that they cut 12% instead of AppleLevelShameless 30% would be enough.

Being big and successful does not equate to a monopoly
Nice strawman, remind me, who said it was.

Blizzard was just a large successful company.
So was Activision.
"for some reason" they had to ask for permission to merge.

And the reason is beyond apparent: large companies have excessive marketing powers, bordering and in case of google and the well in the area of exclusive monopolies.

Last edited:

Makariel

Why jump from search engine business to "global internet ad" pretty please?
Because google's monopoly status is related to MUCH more than just "search engine many people use"? If google was "only" a search engine, not so many people would have a problem with it.

edit: I start to think you don't really know what a monopoly is?

Last edited:

llien

edit: I start to think you don't really know what a monopoly is?
For fucks sake...

Because google's monopoly status is related to MUCH more than just "search engine many people use"? If google was "only" a search engine, not so many people would have a problem with it.
So you jumped from one subject to another, because some people have problem with something, got it.

Please remind me, what part of the PC gaming market is to be attributed to Valve?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ironic.

Valve is a player with google levels of market dominance.
"Oh, but there is duckduckgo.com, so google is not a monopolist", yay, fantastic reasoning.

Again, you seem confused about what constitutes a monopoly.

The customer has choices, they're not forced to stick exclusively with Steam. If those other choices are crap it isn't Valve's fault. Nothing is stopping anybody from crafting a better launcher. I mean why isn't Epic's launcher better by now? They've had years and seemingly plenty of money to improve their software, instead it is still a piece of shit.

Instead of improving their product to compete by giving the consumer a better choice they're buying exclusives and you act like Steam is the problem. Hilarious. Steam got where it is by being the better choice. Remember direct2drive? Hardly anybody else does either. Meanwhile Epic wants to be in that same position but instead of earning it by being the better choice they want to claim it by removing choice.

And hey, I think the Steam client is a bloated monstrosity nowadays but it is still orders of magnitude better than Epic's offering.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Can't wait to play this all patched up and expanded a year after egs release with hopefully VR support. As long as testers confirm the joystick controls are on par with MW4 and not the shoddy MWO.

Last edited:

Alexios

Not sure how this isn't getting more attention. Looks incredible.
Cos it's egsclusive and they released a trailer alongside a new half-life game trailer. Also the top of the page is full of trolling off topic bullshit and the trailer is further down :(

Last edited:

Alexios

Aye, it does that.

EGS nonsense aside, I feel like MechWarrior fans are kind of few-and-far between these days :messenger_confused:
That's like saying it's a mistake they made a game at all, they just aren't capitalizing on its potential appeal right so far, there were few battletech fans left before the last game too but it managed to do well and spawn lots of expansion content (even despite early complaints/issues).

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Man, I remember cycling over to a friend's house to play the Mechwarrior 2 demo over and over. Anyone remember that intro? I do.

Mercenaries was awesome. I loved managing my goddamn company. I will keep an eye on this.

Shifty

That's like saying it's a mistake they made a game at all, they just aren't capitalizing on its potential appeal right so far, there were few battletech fans left before the last game too but it managed to do well and spawn lots of expansion content (even despite early complaints/issues).
Success metrics aren't what I'm talking about here, just that you don't tend to see many like-minded mech heads around forums and the like these days.

Man, I remember cycling over to a friend's house to play the Mechwarrior 2 demo over and over. Anyone remember that intro? I do.

Mercenaries was awesome. I loved managing my goddamn company. I will keep an eye on this.
Hell yeah the intro was awesome. Quality grimdark space future (y)

Hudo

Gotta say that I've actually come around and start to like what I see. I still play MechWarrior 4 regularly to this day. I can also recommend Battletech, turn-based strategy game published by Paradox and created by one of the original Battletech creators, Jordan Weisman.

Alexios

Meeh, come on, they could do better than that, probably worst series intro yet. MW4: Mercenaries used recorded 2000 level (mercenaries released in 2002 but clearly with the same engine/graphics as vengeance from 2000) in-game graphics/assets and was still better lol.

Last edited:

Makariel

The launch trailer looks at least better than the centurion commercial earlier. I'm still waiting for reviews before I pull the trigger.

Lanrutcon

I like the fact that the mechs look heavy, like every movement has weight. It also looks like weapon fire has recoil.

Outstanding.

Makariel

I like the fact that the mechs look heavy, like every movement has weight. It also looks like weapon fire has recoil.
It's still Piranha games. Last time I played MWO it felt like a point & click shooter with Mecha-skin where it was way to easy to core an opponent with precision fire over long distances.

Alexios

If anyone sees a review from someone knowledgeable about the series and joystick controls and stuff lemme know. Curious how the Steam release will be :p
mw4mercs_2019_12_06_1t0ksy.png
mw4mercs_2019_12_06_1cjkj3.png

Going by MWO it could be a disaster, I got no problems going back to this oldboy if that's the case, just fired it up again to finish the quick mission seen above.

I have zero experience with MWO.....

*pulls up dev history*

Oh....oh alright. Well, that's tempered my expectations by a bit, but I remain cautiously optimistic. I'm really not looking for a lot here, just a mission based campaign and lots of shit blowing up. A Mechwarrior Wing Commander if you will.
I think the gameplay vids look fun, I'll still pick it up on the 10th if it doesn't get totally bombed on.

Makariel

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be good. But I've been burned badly by MWO with it's ridiculous monetisation schemes (and various levels of different virtual currency). Piranha has not a great track record. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on $500 golden mech skins.

golden.jpg

At least Battletech from Harebrained Schemes is decent and scratches my tactical mech itch, but it ain't no Mechwarrior.

If they want money for lame skins/cosmetic shit I don't really care, but Mechs and stuff better not be paygated.
Hell, they should put up a market for user created skins and decals.

I have zero experience with MWO.....

*pulls up dev history*

Oh....oh alright. Well, that's tempered my expectations by a bit, but I remain cautiously optimistic. I'm really not looking for a lot here, just a mission based campaign and lots of shit blowing up. A Mechwarrior Wing Commander if you will.
I think the gameplay vids look fun, I'll still pick it up on the 10th if it doesn't get totally bombed on.

Well core game play in MWO is good - it's just that they have ridiculous monetisation for it and had to make game super grindy to force people into buying mechs with $$$.

It should be much better in single player game.

Liljagare

Somewhat optimistic, seen streams on Twitch, early backers have the game. It looks pretty solid, as far as I can tell, Mw2:Mercs is what it seems to fit most. You can't just facetank and expect to live, VTOL's can make your day miserable in a heart beat, and LRM turrets HURT, small mech's can leg big ones.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well core game play in MWO is good - it's just that they have ridiculous monetisation for it and had to make game super grindy to force people into buying mechs with $$$.

It should be much better in single player game.
So it's basically WoWs or WoT, just "mechanized"?

Alexios

So it's basically WoWs or WoT, just "mechanized"?
A bit like Wings of Prey vs War Thunder, in that gameplay's changed from previous entries to accommodate mouse and keyboard far more than joystick controls much like mouse users will trash you in War Thunder if you try to play it like a simcade flight stick game with whatever that entails for the actual machinery feel and all of the gameplay and weapons targeting design. Hopefully MW5 differs (seems so from the footage but who knows, we'll see when we play it). Even outside f2p shit or the mouse advantage in MWO joysticks don't feel right, War Thunder is better in that respect.

Hence still playing MW4: Mercenaries which is blissful. This one was also playable with a mouse and keyboard too mind you, but not at the expense of the overall feel of the mechs and the viability of the game mechanics with a joystick/hotas. It's understandable to support hardware most people have much like most will play racing games with a gamepad rather than a wheel but it'd be insane for a racer to not play right with such and to me it's the same situation for MWO. Plus there are solid affordable sticks like T.16000M FCS. So I don't really agree in that MWO is "good" on any level.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yes imagine WOT where you buy your basic tanks in 60 or 100$ packs or have to wait few months before they are available for in game currency. That's MWO :)
Oof. Yea i might just check it out but with games like these i tend to cave wayy to often, spending 40 to 50 dollars on a ship.

Karak

I reviewed it for ACG.
LOTS to like here but also a lot of technical issues, and to be honest it can get repetitive especially in the campaign. WIth coop and instant action thats helped.
For me I still rated it a Wait for a Sale but those knowing these things and getting into it. May be very happy.

Nice, I appreciate a more long form review. The braindead AI is the biggest concern for me personally, hopefully they can address it in updates.
The voice acting is laughably bad. I wasn't expecting a triple A cast out of this studio or the budget, but is it really that hard to find people to deliver lines with a modicum of emotion. It reminds me of the early cd-rom games were most of the "actors" were random studio personnel.

Top Bottom