• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Orayn

I used to play the tabletop game ALOT when I was younger. I'm looking forward to this game.

There's a question I left out of my summary that should make you very happy.

Are you keeping all the traditional weights and criticals of the classic rules, or have you rebalanced some of them (like, say, ACs)? –Hao Yu

[DAVID] The weights and critical slots of weapons will remain the same, so that we can take ’Mechs straight out of the Technical Readout manuals and into the game. What we will be looking at tuning is the damage, cooldown time, speed, etc. of the weapons.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lasers and rockets.... Lasers and rockets!!! That's how I roll.

Still hoping I can rock my timberwolf eventually :D

Woorloog

Banned
9th BattleMech is Raven. http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/04/208-battlemech-9-raven
Here's the sarna.net link: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raven

CA573BABAE0DAC6C7FFD2325F94403D8.jpg

Looks cool IMO. A bit different from what i imagined it could be but it'll do. And it is Raven, love that electronics loadout. Going to be my primary mech.

The Awesome looks fantastic. Another one that stays true to the original design while being a very nice update. Not crazy about the redesign of the Raven though.

Lime

The original design of the Raven is one of my favourites and I've always loved the sleekness of the beak. While this new design throws this sleekness away for a more angular look, I still like how fresh it is and how it is incredibly consistent with the design of the accompanying 'mech designs in MW:O.

It's okay with me.

Woorloog

Banned
Here is the original Raven for comparison.

As i noted, Raven is my mech of choice. Too bad Stealth armor is not available until '63... Stealth-Raven would be awesome (and there is a canonical variant with Stealth armor)

Nymerio

I'm so dying to play this. This year is so amazing: new Tribes, new Mechwarrior, new Diablo, Guild Wars 2. Where will I take the time to play all this?!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah the Raven is the first design I'm a bit meh about. I do like the old beak more.

Orayn

Once this game comes out I will only refer to my friends as lancemates from then on

Yay I'm a member!

I've been referring to the group of buddies with whom I play Borderlands as my lance since this game was announced. I expect to participate in some GAF-lances as well, of course.

We're gonna need mics and callsigns. Maybe a GAF phonetic alphabet?

"Medium 'Mechs spotted in the vicinity of quadrant Evilore-4."

Divvy

Hey Orayn. I'm signed up to do the OP for this game, but you're much more into this game than me. Do you want to do it? I'd still love to do the art assets for it.

Orayn

Hey Orayn. I'm signed up to do the OP for this game, but you're much more into this game than me. Do you want to do it? I'd still love to do the art assets for it.

Absolutely! I'd like to get some more experience with OP-making, but my Paint.Net skills are still pretty lacking. Shall we collaborate, perhaps over Google Docs?

Lime

Those look nice. The transition from concept art to in-game graphics is commendable. Will the missile racks open up when launching the missiles?

Orayn

We've got a roadmap for the reveals and news of May. Sounds like things are picking up over at Piranha Games!

Hi Everybody!
We wanted to give you an update on what’s going on over here at Piranha, how work on MechWarrior Online is going, and what to expect this month from us. We’ve skipped the usual ‘(Month) Is (Something) Warfare Month’ as we want to bring more specific things to your attention. Therefore, here is what to expect for the month ahead:
  • Screenshot(s) of the Week(s)
  • Fan-lead Q&A
  • Weekly Reviews of progress
  • Wallpaper(s)
  • A Newsletter
  • More ‘Mech(s)!
Cheers,

The MechWarrior Online Staff

Those look nice. The transition from concept art to in-game graphics is commendable. Will the missile racks open up when launching the missiles?

Considering how lovingly detailed everything else in the game is, we can only assume they do.

Divvy

They've pointed out before that lasers and such will be coming from the barrels themselves so I can only assume they're do the same with the missile pods.

We've got a roadmap for the reveals and news of May. Sounds like things are picking up over at Piranha Games!

Come on Axeman or MW4 style Black Knight...!

bender

What time is it?
Sounds like we're getting limited customization for each hardpoint, similar to MechWarrior 4. Having to work around both space and weight requirements will limit the nasty habit of people loading down their 'Mechs with high damage instant-firing weapons, which is a good thing.

Bummer but I guess I'll wait to see it in practice. Even though the net-code was vastly improved in MW4, I always longed for how much you could tinker with mech load outs in MW3. A Thor with dual UAC 20s (lovingly called the Mike Tyson load-out) in a projectile only match was always so much fun or trying to manage the heat with 14 ER Small Laser in a Shadowcat....memories.

Lime

Bummer but I guess I'll wait to see it in practice. Even though the net-code was vastly improved in MW4, I always longed for how much you could tinker with mech load outs in MW3. A Thor with dual UAC 20s (lovingly called the Mike Tyson load-out) in a projectile only match was always so much fun or trying to manage the heat with 14 ER Small Laser in a Shadowcat....memories.

Yeah, but (weapon)boating could be a detriment to the online experience in MW3, imo. I welcomed MW4's take on balancing it, because it also allowed a degree of realism (no lasers coming out of missile boxes, etc.)

Not a single joystick to be seen, I hope they do significant testing with HOTAS and other similar setups.

Given how focused Piranha have been on catering to the old school MW fan (as well as the old Facebook poll about controller options), I think HOTAS and single joysticks are going to be supported from day one.

Lime

Stupid as I am, I didn't check out Orayn's link to Gamesradar about the Catapult missile boxes:

e27ce0725ab791fd9ba28710c08044d6259fe423.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

Attention to detail confirmed.

Orayn

Given how focused Piranha have been on catering to the old school MW fan (as well as the old Facebook poll about controller options), I think HOTAS and single joysticks are going to be supported from day one.

A little birdie from Piranha has supposedly revealed that not only are they going to have full joystick/throttle/pedal support, but are in talks with some producers of input devices to get special MechWarrior-branded input devices made. Personally, I'd love a joystick with tons of buttons and an analog POV hat for aiming arms.

jet1911

A little birdie from Piranha has supposedly revealed that not only are they going to have full joystick/throttle/pedal support, but are in talks with some producers of input devices to get special MechWarrior-branded input devices made. Personally, I'd love a joystick with tons of buttons and an analog POV hat for aiming arms.

They could buy all the unsold Steel Battalion controllers from Capcom. :p

Orayn

There's Kurita (if i remember correctly) K2 variant mounting 2 PPC.

That's what I thought too, but the barrels look a little off. The alternative would be twin plasma rifles, which would strike me as a really weird inclusion.

They could buy all the unsold Steel Battalion controllers from Capcom. :p

I wish there were unused Steel Battalion controllers! Turns out the game actually sold well enough that Capcom broke even on it.

Orayn

You can use the Steel Battalion controller on the PC, people have made drivers for it.

There's one on ebay for a reasonable amount... this is actually tempting:

The Steel Battalion controller, though tempting, is slightly less than ideal for MechWarrior in its unmodified form, mostly due to lack of buttons on the main joystick and having to take your hand off the throttle to use the turning lever. The latter could be avoided by using the pedals as your axis for turning, but that means losing access to the nice analog hat on the left stick.

What I'm trying to say is... Get it, post pictures, but be prepared for it to be a hassle to use. :p

Woorloog

Banned
That's what I thought too, but the barrels look a little off. The alternative would be twin plasma rifles, which would strike me as a really weird inclusion.

Plasma Rifle is '68 tech so ain't that one. I'd say those are PPCs.
Maybe K2's arm hardpoints are "direct fire" HPs (capable of mounting both energy and ballistic weapons), like in MW4Mercs MekTek MekPak added? IF this is the case, they could be autocannons.
Alternatively they could be Arrow IV launch tubes, though sarna.net's image of the weapon doesn't exactly match that Catapult. But then it is a reimagination and multiple companies do produce Arrow IV systems.
Yet another alternative... a new variant (ie MWO-canonical only) of the Catapult, with ballistic weapons.

Lime

I think it's the K-2. It's listed in the TRO: 3025

"Another version was created by House Kurita technicians, who modified the basic Hollis chassis as well as the armor placement. The weaponry has also been changed to make the 'Mech more of a close combat system. The Kurita variant has five more heat sinks, two PPCs, two machine guns, and two medium lasers. Despite this, the Catapult's lack of hands makes it better at fire support than at close-range combat"

Divvy

Perhaps they are long toms, or that smaller version that I can't remember the name of.

Woorloog

Banned
Perhaps they are long toms, or that smaller version that I can't remember the name of.

Thumpers you mean? I did suggest there could be a variant that could mount ballistic weapons. But you definetly cannot add them to the base variant, which has missile hardpoints in arms. K2, assuming it is in, has energy hardpoints.
Neither Long Tom nor Thumper are very likely weapons for the odd Catapult, each weights way too much for a Catapult (65 ton desing, Long Tom and Thumper weight some 20 and 15 tons respectively, IIRC). Besides, those would

Woorloog

Banned
Today, we get a in-cockpit playtest shot, which looks pretty keen:

Looks very, very good. Clean, simple diagrams, the color is just right, looks like something you can read regardless of backround (unlike, for example, Halo's blue HUD).

Reminds me of Mechwarrior 4 HUD... but i think all MWs have had similar HUD, no? Been too long since i tried MW3 demo to remember its HUD.

Oh and speaking of this, we need to organize MW4 Mercs play session someday. It is free and the installation process is easy if done without MekTek's MTX, just the "extractor" program of theirs.

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, but (weapon)boating could be a detriment to the online experience in MW3, imo. I welcomed MW4's take on balancing it, because it also allowed a degree of realism (no lasers coming out of missile boxes, etc.)

I guess the trade-off was less load-out variety in MW4. To be fair, a lot of that was due to network performance. A Shadowcat/Firefly with 12 or 14 ER Small Lasers that topped out at 130KPH (or was it MPH) could take down any tonnage of mech in MW3 because of their "lag shield". That all changed in MW4 with the much improved network code and the inability to use weapon boating. I guess that makes it more realistic but not necessary as fun. I played thousands of MW3 ranked matches in Starlance league (wonder if they are still around) and only 100 in MW4.

I'm still looking forward to this game. I still have a sealed X35/X36 combo from 10 years ago. I wonder if it will work on a modern system.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Clan Invasion starts at August earliest. I'd say first "expansion" to the game is about the Clan Invasion, you won't see the Omnis before that...

Slightly off topic, but ever since I started following MWO news, I can't play Tribes: Ascend without seeing it as one big ass Trial of Refusal between a whole lot of Elementals cuz somebody got their pissyfit on at a meeting.

There's your Battletech nerd.

Woorloog

Banned
Well shit. Guess it's Catapult -time before that then :D

You take the Catapult, i'll go tag targets with a Raven. Then, when the clans arrive, i'll be piloting a Summoner for the Jade Falcons.
EDIT i assume you're going to be with the Wolves.... Avatar is kinda hard to ignore.
And all this only if we can join the Clans, which i doubt.

Fireye

Slightly off topic, but ever since I started following MWO news, I can't play Tribes: Ascend without seeing it as one big ass Trial of Refusal between a whole lot of Elementals cuz somebody got their pissyfit on at a meeting.

There's your Battletech nerd.

%&(&%)& You just ruined tribes for me! On the other hand, I can't stop laughing at the idea of it. I feel obligated to play a Heavy, and repeatedly say AFF and NEG in response to teammates.

Lots o' motion blur in the play-test shot, and I think the cockpit HUD is just a mockup at this point. Seems really barren, I would expect them to add in some more detail to the cockpit portion (not the HUD).

Orayn

%&(&%)& You just ruined tribes for me! On the other hand, I can't stop laughing at the idea of it. I feel obligated to play a Heavy, and repeatedly say AFF and NEG in response to teammates.

Lots o' motion blur in the play-test shot, and I think the cockpit HUD is just a mockup at this point. Seems really barren, I would expect them to add in some more detail to the cockpit portion (not the HUD).

Motion blur is always optional, but I'm guessing there's a good amount of it because he's hauling ass in a light 'Mech.

The default HUD is actually stuff that's superimposed on your pilot's helmet. If you hold down the "pilot look" modifier, you can look around the cockpit and see a lot more stuff.

Woorloog

Banned

Bit too much of motion blur i think, but then it is still alpha/beta. With luck, we customize the amount of blur.
As for the cockpit detail, i bet if you look to any direction, there are more buttons and details but otherwise you see only pretty clear screen. I'm fine with this... as long as you can see the extra details while looking around. MW4 cockpits were so damn barren...

Do note this Hunchback cockpit concept (quoted for size):
Note the red rectangle, which is the normally visible area (i think).

Top Bottom