• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal Of Honor: Warfighter OXM Details

NinjaBoiX

I enjoyed MoH's campaign, the mission at the bottom of the hill, insurgents swarming you was incredible. The little house you're holed up in getting chipped away, ammo running dry, I felt a genuine sense of panic, like few games have managed for me.

My body is cocked, locked and ready to rock.

sounds like the poor 2010 medal of honor - short, boring and overall (thanks to the scripting) shit experiance.

Did you really play it because your experience seems to be different from anybody else's?

It was probably the most realistic modern shooter ever, it had real characters, the plot was compelling and as for being short, Shakespeare said brevity is the soul of wit.

Xater

Nice, I really enjoyed the tone of MoH 2010. The gameplay? Not the best, but the tone of the game itself was good enough.

Yeah so it will be interesting to see how well they will do without DIce saving them with their MP.

FGMPR

Banned
Yeah so it will be interesting to see how well they will do without DIce saving them with their MP.

The MP was the games weakpoint. The only reason this game receives any 'cult-like' love is because of the interesting take on a CoD campaign.

I guess I got lucky, I don't remember having any scripting issues (not like I did in Resistance 3 for example.) That said having your character unable to open doors and having to wait for a friendly AI to do it is always bullshit and hopefully Danger Close stops doing it.

Oh that'd be so awesome.
Yep. It would also be cool if the additional international units mentioned (SAS, GROM, SASR, KSK) are available for use in co-op and not just as 'sides' in the competitive multiplayer.

BTW, Danger Close, if you haven't already, add JTF-2 and SBS too, two more units that have played important roles in the GWOT.

Yep. It would also be cool if the additional international units mentioned (SAS, GROM, SASR, KSK) are available for use in co-op and not just as 'sides' in the competitive multiplayer.

BTW, Danger Close, if you haven't already, add JTF-2 and SBS too, two more units that have played important roles in the GWOT.

Hope the coop is a bit like mass effect 3 i really like that setup.

Wicked awesome. Medal of Honor was damned good.

This though

-You will sometimes have multiple choices when faced with a situation. One example given is during a hostage rescue, you reach the door to the room the hostages should be in. You can either kick it in, C4 it, throw a grenade in, or use a flashbang. This will presumably change how the next part plays out tactically.

Sounds good, but it's a little annoying that this kind of choice is so rare these days that it can be a bullet point.

For co-op, I'd like to see a variety of self-contained mini-missions that are closer to the real-life raids the JSOC SMUs regularly encounter.

Kind of like Spec Ops in a sense, but with INFIL/EXFIL to give them each more of a complete, standalone feel. For example, helicopter in at lightning speed, hit the target compound, clear it in a matter of minutes using teamwork and well-coordinated breaching/room clearing, gather the intelligence materials, and then extract. And then onto the next one.

This, please.

MoH was an awful game.

Seems like this game won't be any different.

What I'd like is a FarCry 2 open world environment where you're a lone Tier 1 operator. Actually using your head and reading the terrain via a map would be awesome.

Well, I adored MOH, but I still agree with this. It's a bit fucked up that the Delta Force games from back in the day totally eclipse modern shooters when it comes to this. I was sort of holding out hope that the new GR would be some form of GR and Far Cry 2 hybrid... which would have made it a Delta Force game. :/

Reminds me... I am looking forward to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier as well, but in their promotional push, Ubisoft continually talks about about how it's their goal to really make you feel like you're an elite special forces operator in a way no other game has. Good luck with that... GR:FS may or may not turn out to be a better game than MoH:W, but they aren't going to touch MoH in that regard.

Ubi is just plain lost. It doesn't help that they brought back Mack.

Sounds great. Hopefully the co op mode wont be some stupid horde type thing, really getting tired of those.
I was thinking a little more about co-op and why I greatly prefer the idea of a series of relatively short, proactive standalone missions vs. the now standard Horde mode...

I actually like Horde, but it's not really a natural fit here in my opinion. It's not as if these units have never found themselves pinned down, but they are primarily designed to be on the offensive -- overwhelming winners of unfair fights. They are better armed, better trained, better coordinated than their enemies, and rely heavily on speed and the element of surprise. They kick down doors, not wait for others to advance on them. Delta/ST6 are attackers, not defenders, by their very nature. All of these things make them a natural fit for co-op gaming, but not so much for Horde mode.

Not that Horde mode done right couldn't be a lot of fun (people keep bringing up that Ranger mission in the first where you are being overrun), but I'd like to see Danger Close be a little more creative and design something more in line with the reality of the units they've gone great lengths to accurately depict.

I picked up MOH 2010 a few days ago at best buy for $5 (using the coupon in best buy's magazine). Looking forward to playing it because I've read enough compliments about the campaign to get me interested. Looking forward to this as well based on the info in the OP

Hopefully it's much longer than the first, even compared to the short fps campaigns that have become the norm lately, it was the shortest I've played in the past couple years. Visually the first was a mess and really inconsistent, but they are using FB2.0 so I have faith this will look more polished. It did have some great scenarios though that had a more authentic feel. Longer and much more polish behind it, it could be a decent game. First just felt like it was rushed and undone.

Hopefully it's much longer than the first, even compared to the short fps campaigns that have become the norm lately, it was the shortest I've played in the past couple years. Visually the first was a mess and really inconsistent, but they are using FB2.0 so I have faith this will look more polished. It did have some great scenarios though that had a more authentic feel. Longer and much more polish behind it, it could be a decent game. First just felt like it was rushed and undone.
The first one was disjointed and sort of cobbled together. And while far from terrible, it was unspectacular in a number of important ways, but its tone, authenticity, and heart alone made it pretty awesome.

As much as I liked the last game, I think there's massive room for improvement; all indications seem to be that they are doing and saying all the right things to tap its potential the second time around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do you seriously think they're gonna in 2012 a single player campaign without scripting? Does such a thing even exists anymore?

He meant "drop the super obvious and blatant scripting that breaks every so often and looks bad and destroys immersion."

GOTY 2012
Danger Close, the preeminent shooter developer

sad_bill_cosby.gif

There's a piece on the game in USA Today that gives more detail on the game's story:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...arfighter-to-deploy-in-october/1#.T00DpXm2784
Sounds good for the most part except A) talking about IEDs in shopping malls in America does not instill confidence in a non-ridiculous, MW style story and B)

"When we begin our story there is sort of this crossroads that Preacher has come to that the relationship with is wife can go either way," Goodrich says. "She needs help raising their child and she is about to give up. But Preacher he is a fighter and he is going to do whatever it takes to repair that and fix that."

Events happen that collide their personal world with the larger world of the Tier One operators and their missions. "It all comes to a head," he says. "That is sort of the crux of these two individuals and her understanding why he does what he does and who he is and truly why he is gone all the time because she now sees the evil in the world that he sees. Likewise, it becomes very real to him in the sense that the issues that they had and the things they argued about maybe weren't as important as they thought they were at the time. ... It's the kind of story you don't normally get in a game about war."
The odds of a story thread like this not being terrible are slim.

Sounds good for the most part except A) talking about IEDs in shopping malls in America does not instill confidence in a non-ridiculous, MW style story and B)

I hear you on both counts, although I read (and hope it to be the case) the first part about 'keeping off our shores and out of our shopping malls and train stops' as doing just that... Disrupting terrorist organizations in places like the Philippines, Yemen, Somalia, and so on, in order to prevent them from being able to plan and successfully carry out strikes on the United States (again), which is exactly what JSOC is focused on doing in the real world.

Edit: I'm going to add that I have faith in Danger Close getting it right like they did last time. They seem to get it. I only just played MW3 this past week and the whole time I was just shaking my head over how ridiculous and awful the single-player campaign story was. MoH 2010 was hugely derivative of MW in terms of gameplay -- and probably not quite as good in most respects -- but the story/authenticity was so much better that it made MoH a lot more enjoyable to me.

This game sounds great, I thought MoH 2010 was a better game than MW3 in literally every aspect, and this info solidifies this franchise as one where the developers are actually trying and focusing on improving each installment. Consider me hyped.

I hear you on both counts, although I read (and hope it to be the case) the first part about 'keeping off our shores and out of our shopping malls and train stops' as doing just that... Disrupting terrorist organizations in places like the Philippines, Yemen, Somalia, and so on, in order to prevent them from being able to plan and successfully carry out strikes on the United States (again), which is exactly what JSOC is focused on doing in the real world.
Yeah you're probably right.

Edit: I'm going to add that I have faith in Danger Close getting it right like they did last time. They seem to get it. I only just played MW3 this past week and the whole time I was just shaking my head over how ridiculous and awful the single-player campaign story was. MoH 2010 was hugely derivative of MW in terms of gameplay -- and probably not quite as good in most respects -- but the story/authenticity was so much better that it made MoH a lot more enjoyable to me.

I love this guy, he manages to defuse and turn everything around into something positive.

I hope you're right, duder. I have embraced the insanity of MW3 and now take it for what it is (A-Team without the humor), but I don't want MOH to be like that.

-You will sometimes have multiple choices when faced with a situation. One example given is
during a hostage rescue, you reach the door to the room the hostages should be in. You can either kick it in, C4 it, throw a grenade in, or use a flashbang. This will presumably change how the next part plays out tactically.

A big part of me hopes that real Tier One operators wouldn't throw a grenade into a room containing hostages.

Yeah it's really unfortunate that these kinds of things are so poorly represented in games up to this point. If they nail it, though, then congrats to them.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The game's MP had issues, but I thought it was actually pretty fun. I put quite a bit of time into it.

I love this guy, he manages to defuse and turn everything around into something positive.

I hope you're right, duder. I have embraced the insanity of MW3 and now take it for what it is (A-Team without the humor), but I don't want MOH to be like that.
Ha! I hope I'm right too. I figure Danger Close earned a bit of trust with their handling of the last game (along with upping the input of their consultants). And if the story turns out to be MW-like train wreck worthy of hating, there will be plenty of time to do that after it comes out (or at the very least, until after we actually get solid confirmation of that).

Anyway, we should find out quite in a bit more a week from today.

I actually enjoyed the single player more than COD or BF3's. It just felt easier to get into. The multiplayer wasn't that great. I think if they focused on single player/co op only and shipped it as 30-40$ they could move more copies.

There's a bit more detail about the game's story in the gamestop listing (and yes, the description makes it sound more likely that I'm wrong in my earlier optimistic assessment...):

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/medal-of-honor-warfighter/99325

"Medal of Honor Warfighter tells the story of U.S. Tier 1 Operator, "Preacher" as he returns home from overseas only to find his family torn apart from years of overseas deployment. Trying to pick up the pieces to salvage what remains of his marriage, Preacher is reminded of what he's fighting for - family. But, when an extremely deadly form of explosive (PETN) penetrates civilian borders and his two worlds collide, Preacher and his fellow teammates are sent in to solve the problem. They take the fight to the enemy and do whatever it takes to protect their loved ones from harm."

Also, confirmation of a second mission beyond the one we already know in the Philippines: "From rescuing hostages in Abu Sayyaf's stronghold in Basilan, Philippines to assaulting Al-Shabaab's "Pirate Town" on the Somali Coast..."

Finally, it claims there will be 12 Tier 1 units in multiplayer. We (realistically) know six of them thus far: Delta, ST6, SAS, SASR, KSK, and GROM.

Dead Man

There's a bit more detail about the game's story in the gamestop listing (and yes, the description makes it sound more likely that I'm wrong in my earlier optimistic assessment...):

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/medal-of-honor-warfighter/99325

"Medal of Honor Warfighter tells the story of U.S. Tier 1 Operator, "Preacher" as he returns home from overseas only to find his family torn apart from years of overseas deployment. Trying to pick up the pieces to salvage what remains of his marriage, Preacher is reminded of what he's fighting for - family. But, when an extremely deadly form of explosive (PETN) penetrates civilian borders and his two worlds collide, Preacher and his fellow teammates are sent in to solve the problem. They take the fight to the enemy and do whatever it takes to protect their loved ones from harm."
Also, confirmation of a second mission beyond the one we already know in the Philippines: "From rescuing hostages in Abu Sayyaf's stronghold in Basilan, Philippines to assaulting Al-Shabaab's "Pirate Town" on the Somali Coast..."

Finally, it claims there will be 12 Tier 1 units in multiplayer. We (realistically) know six of them thus far: Delta, ST6, SAS, SASR, KSK, and GROM.
Yeah, not liking the sound of that, sounds way too Clancy for me.

I'm hoping the stuff in the US takes place in cutscene form and all the real action is overseas. Last thing I need is another Battle for Burger Town.

I'm hoping the stuff in the US takes place in cutscene form and all the real action is overseas. Last thing I need is another Battle for Burger Town.
Absolutely. I hope they stick to locations JSOC is known to have conducted missions at over the past ten years... That shouldn't be too restrictive -- it's a long list.

I can digest a plot that involves a terror attack on US soil. Hell, I don't even have a problem with stuff like the recent Rainbow Six plots, as long as it's somewhat grounded and focused. If anything, I'm surprised (and happy) that these things are as rare as they are, but it's not very hard to imagine. Nothing about this makes me want to sound the Modern Warfare alarm... and hopefully it will stay that way.

So what happened to this being based on Fallujah? FFS pick one locale and stick to it. That's what made the previous one so immersive. This COD style global trekking gets old very quickly.

Top Bottom