• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal Of Honor: Warfighter OXM Details

So what happened to this being based on Fallujah? FFS pick one locale and stick to it. That's what made the previous one so immersive. This COD style global trekking gets old very quickly.

I could see them going all over the place in the first 2-3 missions, with the first being a tutorial, the second/third being missions where you get some type of "clue" that puts you on the path of the main story, then the rest of the game is set in 1-2 locations.

That's what I would do to provide a bit more variety in the game.

I can digest a plot that involves a terror attack on US soil...
I can too -- it just depends 'how close to home' they actually mean. An attack on American soil is one thing -- an attack at Preacher's daughter's school or something is another.

I could see them going all over the place in the first 2-3 missions, with the first being a tutorial, the second/third being missions where you get some type of "clue" that puts you on the path of the main story, then the rest of the game is set in 1-2 locations.

That's what I would do to provide a bit more variety in the game.
I could see some globe hopping in a semi-realistic way if the terrorist plan is presented as the combined effort of AQAP/Shabaab and AQ.

Delta and ST6 often take 'ownership' of different AOs. You could have one unit based out of Djibouti carrying out missions in Somalia, Yemen, the Sudan, etc, and the other carrying out missions in AFPAK.

Each mission could inform the next and the story could bounce back and forth between the two units.

Dead Man

I would like to actually get some osrt of mission briefing. I know it will never happen, they are in love with just dumping you in and having you follow ytour team like a pupppy, but a guy can dream. That combined with small but open levels would be brilliat I think. Like a cross between SWAT4 and the previous game.

Never happen though.

1 Follow team leader to point x
2 Follow onscreen instruction
3 Repeat

Bah.

I would like to actually get some osrt of mission briefing. I know it will never happen, they are in love with just dumping you in and having you follow ytour team like a pupppy, but a guy can dream. That combined with small but open levels would be brilliat I think. Like a cross between SWAT4 and the previous game.

Never happen though.

1 Follow team leader to point x
2 Follow onscreen instruction
3 Repeat

Bah.

Yeah in my ideal military shooter it'd be real nice to get a briefing and a chance to look at a map of the area you're going into so you can plan your approach and tactics. Sadly I think game developers/publishers think that would be confusing or boring and alienate the lowest common denominator of their target audience.

Dead Man

Yeah in my ideal military shooter it'd be real nice to get a briefing and a chance to look at a map of the area you're going into so you can plan your approach and tactics. Sadly I think game developers/publishers think that would be confusing or boring and alienate the lowest common denominator of their target audience.

Yeah, maybe they could make the the Tier 1 mode next time instead of a stupid acore attack phase.

Reminds me of Operation Flashpoint, where you were usually given a decent briefing and a look at the map before the mission started. Usually if you sped through the briefing you'd miss something like "armour company patrolling the road south of the base, don't approach it from that direction" and get slaughtered.

NBtoaster

You just described Medal of Honor: Airborne. It has a briefing with a map, and has open levels where you choose objectives, and some linear paths too.

Hmm! This sounds pretty good actually. I had a great time with MoH (I enjoyed it more than the last 3 iterations of CoD, but that might be because of CoD fatigue) and would love to see a longer SP spread out over the globe.

bryanee

I'll remain optimistic despite hating the last MOH game with its stupidly short camapign, poor level design and below average shooting. I regret paying the £7.50 for it. But if they can turn it around for the sequel I'll be there to play it when its out.

Medal of Honor 2010 was based on Operation Anaconda. The early rumors were that the sequel would be based on the Fallujah ambush and Operation Phantom Fury.
I remember the controversy surrounding Atomic Games' 'Six Days in Fallujah', and there were lots of MoH follow-up rumors floating around (all of which have pretty much been confirmed at this point -- Danger Close handling both single player and multiplayer, co-op, Frostbite 2.0, continuing the Tier 1 focus, and including international Tier 1 units in some fashion), but I personally never came across any rumors about Danger Close basing the new MoH on the Second Battle of Fallujah.

I remember the controversy surrounding Atomic Games' 'Six Days in Fallujah', and there were lots of MoH follow-up rumors floating around (all of which have pretty much have been confirmed at this point -- Danger Close handling both single player and multiplayer, co-op, Frostbite 2.0, continuing the Tier 1 focus, and including international Tier 1 units in some fashion), but I personally never came across any rumors about Danger Close basing the new MoH on the Second Battle of Fallujah.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while), but didn't the last scene in MoH
foreshadow an Iraqi setting
for the sequel?

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while), but didn't the last scene in MoH
foreshadow an Iraqi setting
for the sequel?
I don't recall exactly, but for whatever reason, I remember thinking the last scene hinted at Pakistan.

You know, I always thought in many ways Iraq was the natural follow up. JSOC's activities in Iraq were truly historic and revolutionized the way special operations conduct business. I almost hate to say this, but the Stanley McCrystal-led campaign in Iraq was probably the most 'video game friendly' in the history. By that I mean the relentless OPTEMPO, the sheer amount of fierce CQB that took place, and the fact that each mission informed the next (intelligence collected on one raid sometimes resulted in follow-up raids being launched minutes later). It also heavily involved the units that Danger Close is featuring, with Delta Force taking the lead role and SEAL Team Six, the Rangers, and UKSF (SAS & SBS) all playing important parts as well.

That said, I figured they might choose to avoid an Iraq-centric game because it seems to be a war most people would rather quickly forget at this point and the ongoing GWOT with missions taking place all over the globe makes for perhaps an even more attractive alternative in terms of video game narrative.

Das-J

Law of the West
The studio is really buzzing today - I hope you all are as excited for tonight's event as we are here!

As a warning, in terms of details beyond mission descriptions, there's not that much here.

Details:
-Developed by Danger Close (both single and multiplayer)
-Frostbite 2.0
-Releasing October 2012
-The story continues to be about Tier 1 Operators.
-The story is also written by Tier 1 Operators, and loosely follows actual events and operators.
-Now working with over 24 operators for information and feedback, since they were quite happy with MoH1 and a lot more volunteered to help.
-They're not talking much about multiplayer yet, but we did get a few details.
-The multiplayer will include various international tier 1 factions (British, Australian, German, Polish) and some kind of one-shot, one kill hardcore mode.
-There will also be a co-op mode, but the game won't have full campaign co-op.
-"There are hooks in our multiplayer that are... different."
-Besides just the missions, the game's plotline will focus on the personal issues operators face. One example given is
about a strained phonecall between an operator and his wife.
-The main characters of the previous game return.
-One of the missions takes place in
Isabela City in the Philippines after it has been flooded by a typhoon, creating a Venice like scenario with knee high water.
-Again, as it's based on real events, they don't want the game to feel like a Michael Bay movie, so you won't see things like the Eiffel Tower exploding.
-However, since it is Frostbite 2, you will see things like the level chipping apart, papers flying, chandeliers swinging, and other things that are more plausible in a combat situation.
-You will sometimes have multiple choices when faced with a situation. One example given is
during a hostage rescue, you reach the door to the room the hostages should be in. You can either kick it in, C4 it, throw a grenade in, or use a flashbang. This will presumably change how the next part plays out tactically.
-The rest of this section involves
trying to escape the city with two hostages in tow and one of your teammates bleeding out. It's implied there's some kind of time pressure here, but not explicitly stated if there's a clock.
-OXM notes that the biggest difference between the game's campaign and other modern warfare shooters will again be tonal, so if you're wondering if you will like the game's campaign, ask yourself if you want a more polished/improved version of Medal of Honor 2010.
-I imagine this is the mission we'll see at their March 6th conference.

Nice to know EA hasn't lost their delusional sense of hubris.

The studio is really buzzing today - I hope you all are as excited for tonight's event as we are here!
Honestly, I'm really looking forward to it.

So what are we going to get to see tonight? Something along the lines of a first trailer and a gameplay sample (likely the same section described in the new magazine features)?

Das-J

Law of the West
So what are we going to get to see tonight? Something along the lines of a first trailer and a gameplay sample (likely the same section described in the new magazine features)?
You might be on to something there... Looks like our teaser just leaked :)

Top Bottom