• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media and entertainment apps coming to PS5 at launch and beyond...

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My UHD TV bought in 2018 had slow apps, and was a miserable media navigation experience. My 2020 Hisense TV navigates media apps fast and efficiently.

Media support on PS5 is definitely good for people who have slightly older TVs. Also, I wonder what the SSD benefit will be for media, since it seems to be baked in at the OS level?

So they are trying to jump out ahead of any negative press. No Plex or HBO Max mentioned at all (not even mentioned as coming later) and no Amazon Prime, Hulu etc at launch at least.

Also no mention of any Dolby Vision support.

And I've heard it's a voice control media remote? No mention of voice search for Youtube or anything else either. It should be a given in 2020, but the PS4 didn't have it so...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Disney+ is on PS4 but the app is shockingly shit in terms of performance and stability. I, like most people will just use TV Apps I guess or an android box. Spotify while gaming is nice.

The Disney+ App works BEST on my PS4 Pro for me lol. Interesting....

I hope we can delete the ones we don't want and organize however we like.

Doesn't everyone have smart TV by this point? Is it necessary to still have consoles do all this as well?
Yes there is. TV apps stop being supported after a few years and really, it's better not connecting your TV to the internet if you care about not wanting ads.

mckmas8808

Most useless things to me on a console as current tv's have that and I would use those via TV instead of wasting money on a PS remote.

Or just use the PS5 controller?

Kind of pointless in the Smart TV age, but I guess it's an option.

Why NOT have it? If I want to go from watching HBO MAX to TLOU2, it'll take seconds now. Instead of changing inputs on my receiver and having to find that remote first.

Birdo

Banned
Instead of changing inputs on my receiver and having to find that remote first.

ynK.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
The Disney+ App works BEST on my PS4 Pro for me lol. Interesting....

That's shocking lol. I have it installed downstairs and upstairs on a launch Pro and the quieter SKU. It's really laggy, doesn't sync across the other platforms, drops back to PS4 menu and often just stops instead of playing the next episode in the series. I also use it on LG TV, Sony TV, Samsung TV, iPad and Galaxy s10e with no issues. Weird. I did the usual rebuild database etc. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with extended storage tbh - do you use extended storage?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does this even feel relevant anymore? Everyone has a smart TV or an Apple TV or whatever. I'm certainly not firing up a console just to stream something these days, my TV does all that just fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Smart TV also have disadvantages:
  • Very often the cheaper devices have slow CPUs so using the apps makes no fun
  • apps have to be developed for each plattform, so if you buy from a smaller TV brand maybe smaller apps are not available
  • for the devs it is difficult to support all TVs and all manufacturing years, because incompatibities and changes between years
  • very often support for apps stopps after a few years

That's why you make sure to get a TV with a well supported OS, and why Android TV was a high priority for me when I got my current TV. It's a Sony TV with a good processor, so things are generally smooth (even though it's now over 3 years old). It also has Chromecast built in for the rare instances when there's no TV app for a certain service, but that hasn't happened in a long time.

If you didn't consider that aspect and you're stuck with a TV with poor app support, you can still get a Chromecast with Android TV or an Apple TV for pretty cheap, which would likely be a better experience than having to start your PS5 every time you want to watch something on Netflix.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

That's shocking lol. I have it installed downstairs and upstairs on a launch Pro and the quieter SKU. It's really laggy, doesn't sync across the other platforms, drops back to PS4 menu and often just stops instead of playing the next episode in the series. I also use it on LG TV, Sony TV, Samsung TV, iPad and Galaxy s10e with no issues. Weird. I did the usual rebuild database etc. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with extended storage tbh - do you use extended storage?

Nope. I use the 1TB drive that came with the PRO.

What is the point of people coming into this thread to say they'll use the apps on their TV?

Concern trolling? Maybe.......

That's why you make sure to get a TV with a well supported OS, and why Android TV was a high priority for me when I got my current TV. It's a Sony TV with a good processor, so things are generally smooth (even though it's now over 3 years old). It also has Chromecast built in for the rare instances when there's no TV app for a certain service, but that hasn't happened in a long time.

If you didn't consider that aspect and you're stuck with a TV with poor app support, you can still get a Chromecast with Android TV or an Apple TV for pretty cheap, which would likely be a better experience than having to start your PS5 every time you want to watch something on Netflix.

Why do you think this process is so hard or takes such a long time? The PS5 has an SSD in it. If you have the PS5 in Resume mode, it'll probably start just as fast (if not faster) than the app on your TV.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
No mention of Dolby Vision and Dobly Atmos support. It's not even clear whether the PS5's HD Blu-Ray player supports these standards....

TBiddy

Does this even feel relevant anymore? Everyone has a smart TV or an Apple TV or whatever. I'm certainly not firing up a console just to stream something these days, my TV does all that just fine.

It's certainly an expensive way to use streaming app. The PS4 used about 33 times more power to stream than an Apple TV (93w vs. 2.8w). I hope they've decreased that in the PS5 and the XSX, but still.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's certainly an expensive way to use streaming app. The PS4 used about 33 times more power to stream than an Apple TV (93w vs. 2.8w). I hope they've decreased that in the PS5 and the XSX, but still.

The PS4 Pro was in my case the better option. I had lipsync problems using the Netflix app on my LG Oled TV, the Netflix app on the PS4 didn't have that problem.

TBiddy

The PS4 Pro was in my case the better option. I had lipsync problems using the Netflix app on my LG Oled TV, the Netflix app on the PS4 didn't have that problem.

Sounds like the TV was doing some processing that it wasn't doing on the PS4 signal. Maybe a different mode (game mode vs. movie mode?)? None the less, the only right thing to do is of course to choose the one that works for you!

Im one of those that actually enjoyed ps vue tbh best interface i seen on live online app, but poor sony couldnt keep it for lobg.

Ill buying second ps5 in the future for main room n yes i prefer the playstation over tv interfaces

kyoji

On ps4 i mainly use crunchy roll, funimation, hbo, nfl sunday ticket. Didnt see those mentioned but considering ive been using them on ps4 for years i dont see why they wouldnt transition to ps5. I also suspect the media remote will work with the anime apps considering how major a role sony has a hand in anime.

Last edited:
Doesn't everyone have smart TV by this point? Is it necessary to still have consoles do all this as well?

Some use monitors, some use old tvs.

I use 2014 fullhd sony, because they have "too good quality" and never break, so I havent upgraded it. It does have apps, but sometimes they are laggy/crash so I'm used to use ps4 apps as they work flawlessly compared to my tv.

Most of my friends / relatives also use old tvs so while majority of gamers probably have smart tv, many have cheap or old models that dont run flawlessly.

So these features are nice to have, I'm still waiting for Sony oleds get under 1000€ to buy one, which could take years

EDMIX

Kind of pointless in the Smart TV age, but I guess it's an option.

??? I greatly disagree, have you used the shit features on "smart" tvs regarding those apps? My family has like 5 smart tvs, oldest dating back to 2012, newest a 2019 Samsung QLED, they are all shit when it comes to apps. Slow as shit, delayed response, always disconnecting etc. When I worked for Comcast doing tech support, we'd always get calls regarding them and my answer was always the same.

Unplug, wait 1 minute, reconnect. They say thank you and ask what they can do to prevent the issue.... "STOP USING THE SMART TV APP FEATURE, it will continue to do this, I advise to use dedicated media player like a game system" Thats it. Smart TV's are literally the worst feasible way to connect a tv to a streaming application, as in my fucking PS3 from 2006 can run those applications better then my 2019 Samsung QLED.... I connected it once, it disconnected within 1 hour after freezing 3 times, I laughed and never used it again....just like how I do with all "smart" tvs.

Trust me....folks will continue to use game systems for theses features for years to come. I don't know a single person personally that actually REALLY uses a smart tv's pre-installed apps to actually watch many seasons of any show effortlessly with zero issue.

Never happened.

ZywyPL

Banned
giphy.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of the modern TVs already have those services? What's the point of buying second remote controller for something your TV already does well? Someone enlighten me please.

EDMIX

don't most of the modern TVs already have those services?

Having a feature and the feature working are 2 different things. Have you actually tried any of those TVs using those apps for any period of time? They are literally the worst way to ever connect to those apps. As someone that owns 5 Smart TVs, I don't own them because of those apps.....they are useless.

I bought one for my parents room last year and didn't even waste the fucking energy to connect it to the wifi, just hooked up one my PS4's and they were just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of the modern TVs already have those services? What's the point of buying second remote controller for something your TV already does well? Someone enlighten me please.

That's assuming everyone with a PS5 has a TV released in the last 3 years, I've got a nice TV but it's 5-ish years old at this point and the apps for it are total shit.

EDMIX

That's assuming everyone with a PS5 has a TV released in the last 3 years, I've got a nice TV but it's 5-ish years old at this point and the apps for it are total shit.

I have a 2019 Samsung QLED 4K smart TV and those apps are still shit NOW! LOL!

As a joke when I first got it, I connected it to the wifi and my Netflix account. While reading the manual, that shit froze a good 3 times and then disconnected from the wifi. Not a single fuck was given and I just changed the input back to my PS4.

Top Bottom