• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 27 FEB ~ 05 MAR

heidern

Chris Michael said:
If you're serious then I guess that's reason enough for 3rd parties to go to the DS instead of the PSP. Does the same thing apply to American sales (selling 40k to turn a profit)?
gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

Anyone here know how many copies of BKII were sold this week? Thanks. Such a shame that this game isn't getting any attention. I hope the U.S. release in June will be much better!

zou

Woooah, where's all the hate towards Monroje coming from? I mean he IS after all correct in his assumption that the PSP completly owns the DS in terms of third-party sales. And I have the numbers to prove it. Obviously we have to look at the WHOLE picture, so we'll look at the US! Because we all know that japanese gamers can't be trusted when it comes to games.

Alright, here we go.

The PSP retails at 249$, while the DS is being dumped on the market for $129. No wonder that Nintendo can somewhat keep up with Sony in the installed user base, I mean people are probably going "Honey, bring me some gum, will you? And while you're at it, grabe me a couple of those 'ol DS systems". But I'm starting to rant. Anyways, the tie-ratio for the DS is 1,72 (or something like that) while the PSP has a somewhat similar one.

So it's pretty easy for Nintendo fanboys to spin the numbers. But again, we are not looking at the whole picture. The PSP is 120$ more than the DS. People could, or rather should be buying AT LEAST 3 games with their system. But they aren't. They are buying only half of that. So if we take the price of each system into the equation, we get A NEGATIVE TIE-RATIO for the DS (-1,3), while the PSP owns the DS in that regard with an AWESOME TIE-RATIO of 4,7!

Here's the math for all you haters:

DS: $129, tie-ratio 1,7
PSP: $249, tie-ratio 1,7

$249-$129 = $120 / $40 = 3 games

DS: 1,7 - 3 = -1,3
PSP: 1,7 + 3 = 4,7

If I had the time, I would take into account functions of the PSP that have to be purchased seperatly for the DS, like the web browser, which would improve the tie-ratio of the PSP even further. You can't simply compare two numbers, you have to look at the whole picture and take into account things like retail price, functions, installed user base, third-party sales in regard to the installed user base etc. pp.

I might be even serious about this

zou said:

Spin? You're ignoring the actual statistic of what's selling better in terms of software (focusing instead on price difference, which, IIRC, is not even the correct price of the two systems), and you're calling us focusing on actual factual spin?

:lol

Somebody needs to make a set of Phoenix Wright avatars.

Oh, I found something cool - snip rearranged can be spin!

So I'm changing the quote for comical reasons. :)

zou

A Link to the Past said:
Spin? You're ignoring the actual statistic of what's selling better in terms of software (focusing instead on price difference, which, IIRC, is not even the correct price of the two systems), and you're calling us focusing on actual factual spin?

Shut up already you nintendo fanboy.

Come one, you can't think that reply was serious :p

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
A Link to the Past said:

zou said:
Shut up already you nintendo fanboy.

Come one, you can't think that reply was serious :p

Well, you're a Junior, and... well, Mono, you know.

Well, now I'll just remember that everything you say is utter bunk. :)

But... wouldn't that mean that you not being serious would be a lie?

zou

A Link to the Past said:
Well, you're a Junior, and... well, Mono, you know.

Well, now I'll just remember that everything you say is utter bunk. :)

But... wouldn't that mean that you not being serious would be a lie?

I, and lying? Never!
Or would I?

But the math part did have an error, I forgot the DS is in the US $129 as well.

Seriously, I just wanted to show how ridiculous Monorojes looking at the whole picture, while spinning the globe like a mad person, is.

Rock_Man

With 12 games in the top 50 PSP has its best week ever, in terms of number of games in the chart. Funny that this happens the same week as DS lite were released.
Most of them are probably gone next week though and we will never see PSP performing that good again :p

Acrylamid

Xbox 360 LTD - 96982
If it sells the same amount in every upcoming week that it sold this week...
- it will break 100.000 in 3 weeks.
- it will break 150.000 (initial shipment) in 43 weeks.

gcx0609.png

gcxs0609.png

dsr0609.png

nsm0609.png

Monorojo said:
Whoa Whoa there buddy maybe in Japan, but there is no doubt US 3rd party handhelds do indeed sell well (atleast on PSP)

The average 3rd party title on PSP in the US sells 146,000~ units, thats pretty damn incredible.
You are beginning to irritate. PSP is awesomeee.. Are you form sony, do you have any capital stock in sony?
This topic is about weekly sales in Japan and you keep on saying PSP is awesome and even if it 3rd party sales aren't good in japan, they are awesome in the west. PSP is AWSEEOME!! 1

:(

Both are doing fine. NDS is only doing better in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
jj984jj said:
All this proves is it depends on how you spin it, which is why I was implying aLttP's and Mono's topics the other day were a horrible idea.

Fact is: 3rd party games in general do horrible on handhelds. Plain and simple.
Oh I'd agree, 3rd party sales are pretty dismal across both machines, as was GBA generally. Square Enix's titles comparatively weak sales for their new releases this week(Valkyrie PSP and Mana DS) illustrate that, both games probably should've moved double what they did. Games like Tamagotchi are the exception on all handhelds really, not only DS.

jarrod said:
Oh I'd agree, 3rd party sales are pretty dismal across both machines, as was GBA generally. Square Enix's titles comparatively weak sales for their new releases this week(Valkyrie PSP and Mana DS) illustrate that, both games probably should've moved double what they did. Games like Tamagotchi are the exception on all handhelds really, not only DS.
I feel that most people out last week to get hardware and didn’t, are probably holding off buying games and waiting til they get a machine. I think CoM will have legs but if anything damaged game sales its Nintendo’s releases. I think they should give 3rd parties a window to release their games without any Nintendo releases.
Looking at Mario Kart and AC:WW numbers, New Super Mario Bros is gonna be huge!!

jarrod

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
I feel that most people out last week to get hardware and didn’t, are probably holding off buying games and waiting til they get a machine. I think CoM will have legs but if anything damaged game sales its Nintendo’s releases. I think they should give 3rd parties a window to release their games without any Nintendo releases.
Looking at Mario Kart and AC:WW numbers, New Super Mario Bros is gonna be huge!!
I guess... but are Nintendo handheld sales also killing PSP software sales? Valkyrie Profile did rather badly as well (as have Initial D, Puyo 2, Samurai Warriors, Metal Gear 2, the MegaMan remakes, etc, etc), I think it's more a case of overall handheld trends than just Nintendo killing 3rd parties on GBA/DS.

jarrod

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Why? 70k for a port is not that bad.
It's pretty bad for this particular port... no way is VP going to catch Eternia now and I wouldn't be surprised if this dissuades Square Enix somewhat from future PSP ports. VP isn't a huge brand in itself, but it's still a fairly significant release and the tri-Ace names brings a certain higher level prestiege. 70k is really unacceptable for a game like this.

Seiken Densetsu DS is equally dissapointing though imo. Even though it's not a "real" SD game and was farmed out to a SEGA subsidiary, the brand should've pulled in quite a bit more imo... and I sincerely doubt it'll have the legs Slime Morimori 2 did, it probably won't crack 200k even. Square stumbled on both machines this week imo.

I think 70K for Valkyrie is pretty good. Didn't Eternia pull in like 87K in its opening week? And Tales games are more popular than Valkyrie, plus I doubt the port job cost that much.

CoM isn't a bomb really, but disappointing in the sense that it's a mana game, and this is the poorest performance so far, maybe SoM left a sour taste in the mouth of Mana fans?

jarrod

Banned
I wouldn't say either's a "bomb", but both are really dissapointing and should've moved significantly more. We can make excuses on both sides (VP being an inferior port, VP not being that big a brand, VP being outsourced, SD being outsourced, SD being a dungeon crawl spinoff, SD not being too big a brand, etc) but really both these games should've moved quite a bit more.

RaijinFY

I think for a port 70k is decent. It will pass 100k but not more though.
However, 100k for a Seiken Densetsu game is weak. The franchise is fairly popular in Japan(or was).

VP sold 635k...ToE 670k...ToE PSP opened with 74k...(famitsu figures of course xd)

Maybe it won't have ToE legs (near 230k on PSP) but I don't think its doing bad.

Children of Mana otoh is underperforming imo...its completely new, its supposed to be better than that 'Sword' of something xD...but its doing quite worse.

I don't think it's fair to say that either are bombs.

The Japanese market now is not the same as it was when these comparisons are being drawn from (SoM (or any previous Mana) vs CoM, VP vs PS1 VP etc). Not to mention platform demographics / installed base. Outwith Pokemon, handheld RPGs have hardly racked up anything near their console equivalents either (inc. FFIV, Mother 1+2, Kingdom Hearts etc).

It's easy to knock a games sales when you are the one that created the initial target of a bazillion copies yourself.

RaijinFY said:
However, 100k for a Seiken Densetsu game is weak. The franchise is fairly popular in Japan(or was).

It's been a trend in the series and looking at Legend and Sword, can you blame people for being cautious?

RaijinFY

parathod said:
It's been a trend in the series and looking at Legend and Sword, can you blame people for being cautious?

Legend was good and it did ~700k.
Sword was complete shit but It still did around ~280k.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
RaijinFY said:
Legend was good and it did ~700k.
Sword was complete shit but It still did around ~280k.
Then why do you say...
...When the two franchises had about the same popularity in Japan?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mockingbird said:
Anyone here know how many copies of BKII were sold this week? Thanks. Such a shame that this game isn't getting any attention. I hope the U.S. release in June will be much better!
It didn't make the top 50, it's gone for good.

neo2046

Mockingbird said:
around 5k this week and 20k in total

jarrod

Banned
RaijinFY said:
To be fair, COM isn't a "real" Seiken Densetsu game, it's a spinoff. And it was outsourced to an entirely new team. And the franchise hasn't really been a big brand since the SFC hey days... if Seiken Densetsu 4 only manages 100k that'd be one thing, but this isn't exactly the same situation.

I do think COM's performance is dissapointing, but people are blowing the game's stature out of proportion. Meanwhile since "it's only a port" a similarly dismal PSP performance gets a free pass. ;)

Doogdogg

100k is good for a third party title. Mana series is not that huge anyway. Didn't Minish Cap only sold like 200k in Japan for a Nintendo title? Zelda is far bigger too. I guess they don't dig action RPGs on portable.

RaijinFY

jarrod said:
if Seiken Densetsu 4 only manages 100k that'd be one thing, but this isn't exactly the same situation.

"Seiken Densetsu 4" shouldnt have even been called Seiken Densetsu. It's an action-adventure (not an action-RPG) and It will perform under the previous installment (Seiken 2, 3 and Legend of Mana) for sure. But It just shows how shitty Square is nowdays... :(

jarrod

Banned
RaijinFY said:
"Seiken Densetsu 4" shouldnt have even been called Seiken Densetsu. It's an action-adventure (not an action-RPG) and It will perform under the previous installment (Seiken 2, 3 and Legend of Mana) for sure. But It just shows how shitty Square is nowdays... :(
It is part of the main series though, it's design is more in line with the established series and it's being made by the actual SD development division within Square Enix. All unlike Chidren of Mana.

I'd like to reinforce what someone else already said in the thread that COM's sales are only for 3 days. Is that still underperforming compared to Sword of Mana's first week sales (serious question, not rhetorical)?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Chris Michael said:
I'd like to reinforce what someone else already said in the thread that COM's sales are only for 3 days. Is that still underperforming compared to Sword of Mana's first week sales (serious question, not rhetorical)?
Almost all games launch on a Thursday so comparing first week sales for them are comparing the same number of days.

ioi

Banned
Looks like early predictions are in for the FF XII launch week at around 1.6m which is slightly higher than X-2 (1.5m) but less than X (2m) and would lead to around 2.2-2.3m total, which is about in line with what I'm predicting as well...

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/machi/1311.htm

And yes, that's another week of 90k for BT2 and 75k for Animal Crossing (Week starting today basically)...

Jonnyram

FFXII will outsell FFX in the long run, you'll see :p
Initial shipments are said to be around 2M, and a lot of smaller retailers have sold out of pre-orders. I think it'll be easy to buy at the big stores, but it's still going to sell a lot. The ads are working really well, I think.

ioi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
FFXII will outsell FFX in the long run, you'll see :p
Initial shipments are said to be around 2M, and a lot of smaller retailers have sold out of pre-orders. I think it'll be easy to buy at the big stores, but it's still going to sell a lot. The ads are working really well, I think.

We'll see ;-)

I'm calling 1.7m opening weekend, 2.4m total.

I think it'll get close to AC LTD in about week 4 but will then drop behind it and AC will pull ahead even further en route to 3.2m total.

mutsu

Cheebs said:
AC will outsell it in the long run. No doubt about that.

Oh yes, no doubt about that. I won't even be surprised if AC reaches 3 million, considering all the demand are still out there, dying to get their hands on a DS/DSL.

Jiggy

Children of Mana's sales compared to Sword of Mana's reminds me of the performance of FFIX in the US versus that of FFVIII. I'm guessing that in both cases, people had lower expectations because of a weak previous game.

JavyOO7

I think CoM might manage 500k in the end. That's just me hitting a random number, though.

What I'm really looking forward to is how Tetris, and especially NSMB is going to sell. If NSBM is truly a spectacular game, I hope it sells a buttload of copies.

ioi

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
I think CoM might manage 500k in the end. That's just me hitting a random number, though.

What I'm really looking forward to is how Tetris, and especially NSMB is going to sell. If NSBM is truly a spectacular game, I hope it sells a buttload of copies.

Well it'll be interesting to see the drop off this week, but I think to be honest the most COM can hope for is 250k

Top Bottom